Options

pipe bomb explodes at military race in new jersey and now a bomb explodes in nyc

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    edited September 2016

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

are we still thinking this attack was by an ex boyfriend?

I don't understand how people can be so brainwashed or whatever to not 99% know right away this was a terrorist act by someone of middle eastern descent. That doesn't mean that you think all middle eastern people are terrorist if you think that. It just means you are being realistic and not looking on with politically correct blinders.
    What's more brainwashed, assuming you know the motive and that there was terrorist influence involved, or holding judgment until there's more information? You're following a narrative that you're being fed. It doesn't have anything to do with political correctness. When a white guy sets off a pipe bomb, what's your reaction?
    If they were tied to a specific unified organization and were blowing people up on a regular basis with the intent of terrorizing in the name of that said organization, then I would say hunt the fuckers down and moniter every step of those linked to them.
    The reason people draw preemptive conclusions when these events happen is because they are a trademark of these specific unified organizations that are almost always tied to a specific religion. The lowest common denominator during the current state of affairs with ISIS cheerleaders hyping up the baseline. That's not to say that sometimes other "lone wolves" do not do this shit. It just means that Radical Islamists are "most likely" the culprits based on their methodology. Makes them pretty easy to single out. Once "white guys" (some Muslims are white guys too, just saying) start randomly screaming aloha snack-bar while killing on a regular basis, we can then start broadening our preemptive conclusions.
    Do you think it's funny to mock the way people praise their deity? This is not an expression used exclusively by Islamic extremists - it's used by billions of good people who wouldn't harm an ant, on a regular basis. I think it's just plain pathetic.
    Which highlights my point. Pjpower's comment is a result of the manipulation that can happen when religion is blamed, and the audience is ignorant about the religion. Christianity is rarely blamed for terrorism,because Americans are familiar with it.
    I am quite familiar with and have done a fair amount of studying of both religions thank you very much. At times throughout history, Christian extremists were most definitely to blame for terrorists acts...right now, that's not the case. It is Islamic fundamentalists with a skewed idea of right and wrong that are drilling holes in children's heads and burning "non-believers" alive.
    So when someone kills in the name of Christianity, what do you call it?
    I"m sorry. but can you provide an example of:
    A: a "white guy" using a pipe bomb here in the united states (I said Atlanta 96)
    B: someone killing in the name of christianity

whether you want to admit it or not, a nasty section of the muslim faith is at war with our country, ideas, beliefs and our allies that think the same way. Hell they hate Russia too.

So yeah when I hear a pipe bomb goes off or a pressure cooker is used as a bomb, I think muslim terrorist. 9/11 is a big reason I think that way.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I don't understand how people can be so brainwashed or whatever to not 99% know right away this was a terrorist act by someone of middle eastern descent. That doesn't mean that you think all middle eastern people are terrorist if you think that. It just means you are being realistic and not looking on with politically correct blinders.
    What's more brainwashed, assuming you know the motive and that there was terrorist influence involved, or holding judgment until there's more information? You're following a narrative that you're being fed. It doesn't have anything to do with political correctness. When a white guy sets off a pipe bomb, what's your reaction?
    when's the last time a white guy set off a pipe bomb? atlanta olympics 96?
    Dylan roof, Robert Doggart,Robert Lewis Dear, the Hutaree Christian militia
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

If they were tied to a specific unified organization and were blowing people up on a regular basis with the intent of terrorizing in the name of that said organization, then I would say hunt the fuckers down and moniter every step of those linked to them.
    The reason people draw preemptive conclusions when these events happen is because they are a trademark of these specific unified organizations that are almost always tied to a specific religion. The lowest common denominator during the current state of affairs with ISIS cheerleaders hyping up the baseline. That's not to say that sometimes other "lone wolves" do not do this shit. It just means that Radical Islamists are "most likely" the culprits based on their methodology. Makes them pretty easy to single out. Once "white guys" (some Muslims are white guys too, just saying) start randomly screaming aloha snack-bar while killing on a regular basis, we can then start broadening our preemptive conclusions.
    Do you think it's funny to mock the way people praise their deity? This is not an expression used exclusively by Islamic extremists - it's used by billions of good people who wouldn't harm an ant, on a regular basis. I think it's just plain pathetic.
    Which highlights my point. Pjpower's comment is a result of the manipulation that can happen when religion is blamed, and the audience is ignorant about the religion. Christianity is rarely blamed for terrorism,because Americans are familiar with it.
    I am quite familiar with and have done a fair amount of studying of both religions thank you very much. At times throughout history, Christian extremists were most definitely to blame for terrorists acts...right now, that's not the case. It is Islamic fundamentalists with a skewed idea of right and wrong that are drilling holes in children's heads and burning "non-believers" alive.

Rare.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

A: a "white guy" using a pipe bomb here in the united states (I said Atlanta 96)

whether you want to admit it or not, a nasty section of the muslim faith is at war with our country, ideas, beliefs and our allies that think the same way. Hell they hate Russia too.

So yeah when I hear a pipe bomb goes off or a pressure cooker is used as a bomb, I think muslim terrorist. 9/11 is a big reason I think that way.
    You also think that way because the media and certain leaders have manipulated dialogue and therefore, the thinking around it. Fundamentalist thinking is the concern, not religion. Was 9/11 done by Muslims, or Saudis?
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dylan roof was a murderer, white supremacist and neo nazi.
    bob doggart didn't kill anyone
    rober lewis dear was legit crazy: The judge ordered a mental competency evaluation to assess whether Dear is sufficiently competent to exercise his right to do so. Following subsequent evaluations that determined Dear to be delusional, the judge in the case ruled in May 2016 that Dear was incompetent to stand trial and ordered him indefinitely confined to a Colorado state mental hospital.

The Hutaree Christina militia is domestic terrorism plain and simple.

christianity is not at war with us, a section of the muslim religion is. religion of peace my ass.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

You also think that way because the media and certain leaders have manipulated dialogue and therefore, the thinking around it. Fundamentalist thinking is the concern, not religion. Was 9/11 done by Muslims, or Saudis?
    muslims that were from saudi arabia that were supported by Osama bin Laden who was living in Afghanistan at the time but was originally from Saudi Arabia and was once financially backed by the United States to beat the shit out of the Russians in Afghanistan.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

dude it's not the media. Wake the fuck up. We are at war and you know it.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

muslims that were from saudi arabia that were supported by Osama bin Laden who was living in Afghanistan at the time but was originally from Saudi Arabia and was once financially backed by the United States to beat the shit out of the Russians in Afghanistan.
    But you're going to tell me religion is the problem?
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

What else could it be when people are killing in the name of "Allah"?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

rober lewis dear was legit crazy: The judge ordered a mental competency evaluation to assess whether Dear is sufficiently competent to exercise his right to do so. Following subsequent evaluations that determined Dear to be delusional, the judge in the case ruled in May 2016 that Dear was incompetent to stand trial and ordered him indefinitely confined to a Colorado state mental hospital.

christianity is not at war with us, a section of the muslim religion is. religion of peace my ass.
    There's groups within Christianity that are terrorists. You identified one: white supremacists
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

There's groups within Christianity that are terrorists. You identified one: white supremacists
    That I did. But they aren't at war with America. They aren't looking to take the US government down like ISIS, the taliban, Al queda....
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You keep saying there are Christian terrorists but have not provided any recent examples of terrorist acts in the name of Christianity. Tell us what you think the media ignores.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You keep saying there are Christian terrorists but have not provided any recent examples of terrorist acts in the name of Christianity. Tell us what you think the media ignores.
    I hinted at one earlier. A white supremist ran over and killed a black guy. Since you only have to be influenced by a terrorist group to be a terrorist, this would qualify.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

That I did. But they aren't at war with America. They aren't looking to take the US government down like ISIS, the taliban, Al queda....
    You don't think there's domestic terror groups planning to attack the government? Come on. Now capability is a different qurstion.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

What else could it be when people are killing in the name of "Allah"?
    It's called manipulation and control, not religion. Or maybe they're just "crazy", like the white guys.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited September 2016

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Why does it matter what you label it? its terrorism....its not just associated to Muslim extremism it can be used when Christians or other groups commit acts of violence...I don't know why you keep getting hung up on wanting to label Christianity in the same light, but yeah go ahead its deflecting from the issue

noun
    1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I hinted at one earlier. A white supremist ran over and killed a black guy. Since you only have to be influenced by a terrorist group to be a terrorist, this would qualify.
    Please tell me you aren't serious with this example.
  • Options
    I get hung up on it because I see people get manipulated by fear with the use of "Muslim extremists" and "Muslim terrorist". I watched Trump rise to popularity as a result of this. I guess that's why I'm hung up on it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Please tell me you aren't serious with this example.
    When would it qualify as a terrorist act for you?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    You know what's a bigger threat to this country than terrorists? Heroin and opioids, yet how often do we talk about them. How many of us know someone impacted by pills or heroin? How many of us know someone impacted by terrorism?

Stop being a bunch of pansies afraid of dark people
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    edited September 2016

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I agree with this. Most modern terrorist acts in this part of the world are at the hands of radicalized Islamic extremists. That does not mean that I think that most Muslims are terrorists by any stretch, nor that all Muslims should suffer restrictions because of radicalized Islamic extremists. It means I can extrapolate highly likely scenarios when there's enough data to suggest a recurrence. That being said, I don't think mcgruff10 was being serious (but he/she can correct me if I'm mistaken).
    No, I think McGruff10 was joking about some earlier comments in the thread.

I just wonder about people who don't want to accept the problem. People that think Christian extremists are a problem compared to Islamic extremists. One side holds inappropriate signs up a funerals and the other chops peoples' heads off and burns people alive. There is no comparison, but this politically correct brainwashing forces them to rationalize one set of deplorable behavior with other behavior that is not even remotely as bad.
    So when Christian extremists kill in the name of God, what do you call it?
    What are some recent examples of Christian extremists killing people? You are going to need a lot more than four or 5 in the last 10 years to remotely come closer to making this a real argument.
    Have you checked out the stats on White Supremacist murders and crimes lately? I suggest you look into it before you claim that Christian extremists never kill people (since you apparently forgot about the Charlestown Church shooting already. Remember, one of the tenants of White Supremacists is to keep America white and Christian).
    Again, I don't say stuff like this because I'm "brainwashed to be PC" (that is a premise, btw, that I think comes from brainwashing itself). I don't say it to minimize the threat of Islamic terrorism in America (even though that threat is ridiculously over-exaggerated - that's a matter of fact, not opinion). I say it because it's fucking stupid to just automatically assume that an event is caused by a radical Muslim before knowing the facts and to start throwing out accusations and inflammatory rhetoric without knowing a damn thing yet. Just wait for the damn facts. That's it. It's easy. Once you get the facts and it's a fanatical Muslim who committed terrorism, go nuts complaining about that person or group of people. They deserve all the resentment and anger people can throw at them obviously, not to mention police and military wrath. But to just automatically throw the blame on Muslims without the facts causes innocent, good people to suffer. It just does. It contributes to the hate. Same thing would happen for Christians if everyone just assumed that fanatical Christians were responsible for every act of terror. Or just plain old white people, for that matter, who I'm pretty sure still win when it comes to the most act of terror in America.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    edited September 2016

You know what's a bigger threat to this country than terrorists? Heroin and opioids, yet how often do we talk about them. How many of us know someone impacted by pills or heroin? How many of us know someone impacted by terrorism?

While 9/11 did indeed impact a whole lot of people, since then, more Americans are killed by kitchen appliances every year than they are by terrorist attacks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

I''ll disagree and say it's driving. Drugs has the component of individual choice. Driving is the most dangerous thing we do, but I guess we're supposed to be shitting our drawers about ISIS. About 100 or so people will die on the roads today, but there won't be any heartwrenching tributes on CNN or any alarmist reactions about what we're going to do about it.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    PJ_Soul said:

While 9/11 did indeed impact a whole lot of people, since then, more Americans are killed by kitchen appliances every year than they are by terrorist attacks.
    Exactly.

But to my point, how much of our tax dollars go to fighting terrorism vs drug treatment. Our priorities are beyond fucked up
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I agree with this. Most modern terrorist acts in this part of the world are at the hands of radicalized Islamic extremists. That does not mean that I think that most Muslims are terrorists by any stretch, nor that all Muslims should suffer restrictions because of radicalized Islamic extremists. It means I can extrapolate highly likely scenarios when there's enough data to suggest a recurrence. That being said, I don't think mcgruff10 was being serious (but he/she can correct me if I'm mistaken).

I just wonder about people who don't want to accept the problem. People that think Christian extremists are a problem compared to Islamic extremists. One side holds inappropriate signs up a funerals and the other chops peoples' heads off and burns people alive. There is no comparison, but this politically correct brainwashing forces them to rationalize one set of deplorable behavior with other behavior that is not even remotely as bad.
    What are some recent examples of Christian extremists killing people? You are going to need a lot more than four or 5 in the last 10 years to remotely come closer to making this a real argument.
    Have you checked out the stats on White Supremacist murders and crimes lately? I suggest you look into it before you claim that Christian extremists never kill people (since you apparently forgot about the Charlestown Church shooting already. Remember, one of the tenants of White Supremacists is to keep America white and Christian).
    Again, I don't say stuff like this because I'm "brainwashed to be PC" (that is a premise, btw, that I think comes from brainwashing itself). I don't say it to minimize the threat of Islamic terrorism in America (even though that threat is ridiculously over-exaggerated - that's a matter of fact, not opinion). I say it because it's fucking stupid to just automatically assume that an event is caused by a radical Muslim before knowing the facts and to start throwing out accusations and inflammatory rhetoric without knowing a damn thing yet. Just wait for the damn facts. That's it. It's easy. Once you get the facts and it's a fanatical Muslim who committed terrorism, go nuts complaining about that person or group of people. They deserve all the resentment and anger people can throw at them obviously, not to mention police and military wrath. But to just automatically throw the blame on Muslims without the facts causes innocent, good people to suffer. It just does. It contributes to the hate. Same thing would happen for Christians if everyone just assumed that fanatical Christians were responsible for every act of terror. Or just plain old white people, for that matter, who I'm pretty sure still win when it comes to the most act of terror in America.
    Great post. Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I would just like to add that there are a lot of afraid people here on this thread....I find it interesting that these are the same people who are very pro gun. Scared folks love their guns.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Apples and oranges.
    Show me some white supremacy murder and crime stats to support your point.
  • Options
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Great post. Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I would just like to add that there are a lot of afraid people here on this thread....I find it interesting that these are the same people who are very pro gun. Scared folks love their guns.
    Afraid? No.
    I realize that there are lots of bad people in this world who want to cause a lot of people harm. I have certain firearms to protect my family.
    Get your head out of the sand.
  • Options
    While they're different things, our fear should reflect the level of risk. What Americans fear is completely out of whack with reality.
  • Options

While they're different things, our fear should reflect the level of risk. What Americans fear is completely out of whack with reality.

What state are you from?
  • Options
    I live in Oregon.