Options

pipe bomb explodes at military race in new jersey and now a bomb explodes in nyc

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Ahman Khan Rahmini wanted in connection to both New York and New Jersey bombs, police say

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/fbi-searching-for-ahmad-khan-rahami-in-connection-to-chelsea-bombing-we-need-to-get-this-guy
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    lukin2006 said:

Ahman Khan Rahmini wanted in connection to both New York and New Jersey bombs, police say

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/fbi-searching-for-ahmad-khan-rahami-in-connection-to-chelsea-bombing-we-need-to-get-this-guy

I guess he was just put on the " watch list" recently CNN claims
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

I guess assumptions were safe to make after all.

Although everybody knew that- it's just so damn dignifying to suggest to 'wait for the facts' before jumping to conclusions (and liberals wonder why they've developed a poor reputation?).

As far as assimilation goes: if I wished to move my family to Saudi Arabia... I would need to embrace that culture and not try to make it Canada. If I want Canada... then I should stay in Canada.

good post, this is becoming so common and it's too predictable as to what group did it and not to piss anybody off but my point of not allowing anybody into our country is becoming clearer as time goes by as more immigrants come to America and other parts of the world
    and try to destroy the ways of life we have.

Godfather.
    so when crazy people plant bombs you want to get rid of all people who share their religion in this country - yet when someone uses a gun to kill people we can't do anything to other 'responsible' gun owners? how do you justify that logic?
    Apples and oranges. From the "responsible gun owners" standpoint, "gun owners" is not specific to a religion or idea. They do not fit specifically to any demographic or nationality. Same could be said for pressure cooker owners. The point being made here is that specific religions and cultures are correlated with these random attacks as of late and how does a country best approach that specific problem.
    fair enough but you are still punishing a very large amount of people for the actions of a very small % from that group.
    I agree, which is probably not the applicable approach as you eluded to. Truthfully, I feel like this situation is being handled pretty well. Punish those that perpetuate these acts in a way that persuades others not to follow in his footsteps maybe? Not sure what that would look like. Many of these maniacs believe martyrdom is the best death that a nice little muslim could ever hope for, so how do you combat that ideological staple? My best suggestion is to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared for these types of situations, they are going to happen as long as these assholes exist...and they have existed forever.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

Although everybody knew that- it's just so damn dignifying to suggest to 'wait for the facts' before jumping to conclusions (and liberals wonder why they've developed a poor reputation?).

As far as assimilation goes: if I wished to move my family to Saudi Arabia... I would need to embrace that culture and not try to make it Canada. If I want Canada... then I should stay in Canada.

I totally disagree. If I wished to move my family to Saudi Arabia, I would say that I need to embrace their local law, not their culture. Why does a country require immigrants to contribute to a homogeneous society? If you don't invite cultural differences, then you don't expose people to cultural differences. If you don't expose people to cultural differences, then you create uncertainties about cultural differences. That then leads to fear, which leads to (formal or informal) segregation, which leads to animosity, and we're right back to perpetuating what we have today, where immigrants feel like they're akin to second-class citizens, and people who have been Americans for more generations fear immigrants. Back to the Saudi Arabia example, of course I'd say that Saudi Arabia's history for inviting cultural differences is pretty much abysmal, but doesn't America (and doesn't Canada) aspire to be greater than that?
    Many times the culture and laws go hand and hand...or a hand "for" a hand if you practice sharia law, a staple of the muslim culture.
    So practicing local law automatically adheres you to the culture. Again, I'm saying that that's Saudi Arabia. We don't exert as much will on the populace here in North America (not formally anyways).
    If the law says that you can only dress a certain way as stated by the local religious majority or be stoned to death...then yes.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Ahmad Khan Rahami, the man suspected in bombings in New York and New Jersey, is now in custody after a shootout with police, sources said.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    NY, NJ bombings: Suspect in custody after shootout with police, sources say

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/us/new-york-explosion-investigation/index.html
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

from CNN:
    (CNN)The man who stabbed nine people at a Minnesota mall Saturday before being shot dead by an off-duty police officer was a "soldier of the Islamic state," according to an ISIS-linked news agency.

The statement posted online Sunday by the Amaq agency follows a pattern of ISIS-related media claiming responsibility for what appear to be the acts of individuals across Europe in the past few months.

I think there's a strong likelihood that the vast majority of these attacks are linked to ISIS, but honestly - what incentive does ISIS have to deny that any attacks are their responsibility? They're a terrorist organization - they aim to spread terror, so any attack on the Western world is a sign of power in their eyes. I do wonder how many attacks they claim responsibility for, without any involvement.

Edit: This thought doesn't change much, but I'm curious.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    It doesn't matter if ISIS is directly involved, these are ISIS inspired attacks ...

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

Bingo!

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/19/person-interest-to-named-in-nyc-bombing.html

Ahmad Khan Rahami, the man sought in connection with weekend bombings in New York and New Jersey, was taken into custody after a shootout with police on Monday morning, multiple law enforcement sources confirmed to Fox News.

Authorities had launched a dragnet earlier Monday in search of the 28-year-old Afghan-born man, whom they described as being "armed and dangerous"
  • Options
    brianlux said:

benjs said:

does anybody here believe it was not radical muslims ?

Godfather.

So it's the act of an Islamic extremist. Then what? It's already been shown that the Islamic extremist actions which have transpired in the States have been from legal immigrants (often second-generation Americans, for that matter). Should they have their citizenship or landed immigrant statuses revoked? That's akin to collective punishment (i.e. the entirety of a group being penalized for the actions of an arguably corrupted <1% of the group), and with extrapolations like that, every single person in the US and Canada (and probably most of the world) should be shot dead for the actions of their peers, governments, and ancestors of both.

Once again, Godfather, you draw the line right at the point where it becomes inconvenient for you, with no respect for humans on the other side of that line and the suffering they will endure as a result of your stance. </p>
    When the second generation can't assimilate there will be problems. Legal or illegal we need to make sure assimilation happens.
    What's your definition of assimilation and how would you make sure it happens?
    Have the means and opportunity to get jobs, treat women with respect, not blow up stuff. The basics.
    That's a good, loose definition of "assimilation". It sure beats the heck out of, "Everybody wear the same clothes, listen to the same music, do the same kinds of things, lose your accent as much as possible", etc.

By your definition, the large majority of everyone living in this country right now have successfully assimilated. Generally only a very small fraction of immigrants have not assimilated according to your definition.

Oh, except the mentally ill and many veterans (so often those two things, understandably, go together), as well as misfits, half you rock and rollers, and the rebelious. Which all adds to a lot of people.

So what to do? I say, find that small percentage of non-assimilated immigrants, all those mentally ill people on the streets, non-assimilated vets, half the rockers, all the misfits and rebels and build a wall around them. Throw in some lions.

No? Then what?

Europe is being torn apart. The problem is real. I don't know how to fix it. You want to help people, but do you give up your country and peace in the process?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    A cop was shot as well? Overall this could have been much worse.
  • Options
    here's a un-popular idea.....waterboard is a*# and make him sing like bird.

Godfather.
  • Options

Godfather.

Too much energy expended. Just lock him in an interrogation room, put "I'm Proud to be An American " on repeat, once he starts using his head as a battering ram - he's ready to talk.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Just as long as you guys agree to do that at the next shooting and don't immediately call for ar15 bans.

That has nothing to do with waiting g for an investigation.
    I waited. 20 year old Somali that asked the victims if they were Muslim prior to stabbing at least one. Shot dead by someone who was concealed carry. Hero. I'll be armed everywhere I go thankyouverymuch.
    Ok, I thought this was a thread about the explosions in new York. If you need to bring up the stabbings in minnesota, that's fine, just has no relevance here. And it wasn't just a plain citizen with a concealed weapons permit. It was an off duty police officer. Makes a difference. Because my point about all of you CWP people is that when shit hits the fan, most of you would run and hide, not point and shoot.
    Maybe if you were a CWP person, that is what you would do. Stop throwing the crowd into the pit based on your own inadequacies. I know many police officers and many non-police CWP holders that are more proficient and have more hours of tactical training than most of the officers that only try to meet the minimum training requirements(the majority I would say). I know, it may blow your mind that there are some civilians out there legitimately prepared and trained to protect themselves and others...To be perfectly honest, though, there is no shame in knowing your exits and being able to get yourself out of harms way. A CWP owner is under no obligation to save your life or go rushing into the fight. If you are worried about someone saving your life...that responsibility is your own.
    My own inadequacies? Im specifically referring to the tough guys in Dallas that ran and hid when shit hits the fan. So it's not an unprecedented idea. It's really irrelevant to me who you know that's been through tactical training. By no means does that mean you or any of your friends will stand up in the face of gun fire. If you do, great, but the odds are that you and your friends wont. The fact that it was an off duty police officer makes a huge difference since that individual has faced "shit hitting the fan" before. My guess and MY OPINION is that most CWP people have not.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

unsung said:

unsung said:

Just as long as you guys agree to do that at the next shooting and don't immediately call for ar15 bans.

I waited. 20 year old Somali that asked the victims if they were Muslim prior to stabbing at least one. Shot dead by someone who was concealed carry. Hero. I'll be armed everywhere I go thankyouverymuch.
    Ok, I thought this was a thread about the explosions in new York. If you need to bring up the stabbings in minnesota, that's fine, just has no relevance here. And it wasn't just a plain citizen with a concealed weapons permit. It was an off duty police officer. Makes a difference. Because my point about all of you CWP people is that when shit hits the fan, most of you would run and hide, not point and shoot.
    .........? you haven't any idea how to handle this situation emotionally do you ? if you think this is the first thread to branch off in RELATED other directions then maybe you've lost count (understandable, there are soooo many)

Godfather.

muslim radicals' ? I'd bet on it....probably just the that "small percentage" of immigrants. I have to call it like I see it and this is just
    too common to be called a "coincidence" everybody thinks it but are afraid to say it.

Godfather.

or....not an immigrant at all. Someone who was born here.
    sorry about that....."a small percentage of muslim immigrants who give birth to little terrorist" they blow up so fast ! hahahhahahahahah a little humor for Monday morning.

Godfather.

What?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    lukin2006 said:

It doesn't matter if ISIS is directly involved, these are ISIS inspired attacks ...

I guess that backfired.
  • Options

unsung said:

unsung said:

.........? you haven't any idea how to handle this situation emotionally do you ? if you think this is the first thread to branch off in RELATED other directions then maybe you've lost count (understandable, there are soooo many)

Godfather.

muslim radicals' ? I'd bet on it....probably just the that "small percentage" of immigrants. I have to call it like I see it and this is just
    too common to be called a "coincidence" everybody thinks it but are afraid to say it.

Godfather.

or....not an immigrant at all. Someone who was born here.
    sorry about that....."a small percentage of muslim immigrants who give birth to little terrorist" they blow up so fast ! hahahhahahahahah a little humor for Monday morning.

Godfather.

What?
    never mind.

Godfather.

• Options

Godfather.

Too much energy expended. Just lock him in an interrogation room, put "I'm Proud to be An American " on repeat, once he starts using his head as a battering ram - he's ready to talk.
    I like it !
    24/7 loud as possible !.......you're starting to worry me LOL !!!!!!

Godfather.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    are we still thinking this attack was by an ex boyfriend?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't understand how people can be so brainwashed or whatever to not 99% know right away this was a terrorist act by someone of middle eastern descent. That doesn't mean that you think all middle eastern people are terrorist if you think that. It just means you are being realistic and not looking on with politically correct blinders.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

I don't understand how people can be so brainwashed or whatever to not 99% know right away this was a terrorist act by someone of middle eastern descent. That doesn't mean that you think all middle eastern people are terrorist if you think that. It just means you are being realistic and not looking on with politically correct blinders.
    This

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940

mcgruff10 said:

I agree with this. Most modern terrorist acts in this part of the world are at the hands of radicalized Islamic extremists. That does not mean that I think that most Muslims are terrorists by any stretch, nor that all Muslims should suffer restrictions because of radicalized Islamic extremists. It means I can extrapolate highly likely scenarios when there's enough data to suggest a recurrence. That being said, I don't think mcgruff10 was being serious (but he/she can correct me if I'm mistaken).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    edited September 2016
    benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I agree with this. Most modern terrorist acts in this part of the world are at the hands of radicalized Islamic extremists. That does not mean that I think that most Muslims are terrorists by any stretch, nor that all Muslims should suffer restrictions because of radicalized Islamic extremists. It means I can extrapolate highly likely scenarios when there's enough data to suggest a recurrence. That being said, I don't think mcgruff10 was being serious (but he/she can correct me if I'm mistaken).
    No, I think McGruff10 was joking about some earlier comments in the thread.

I just wonder about people who don't want to accept the problem. People that think Christian extremists are a problem compared to Islamic extremists. One side holds inappropriate signs up a funerals and the other chops peoples' heads off and burns people alive. There is no comparison, but this politically correct brainwashing forces them to rationalize one set of deplorable behavior with other behavior that is not even remotely as bad.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

No, I think McGruff10 was joking about some earlier comments in the thread.
    I was talking about an earlier thread and was joking. my bad on that.
    good job nj and new york police enforcement for getting this guy quick.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

agree.
    and i do think some of you owe an apology to godfather.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited September 2016
    Motive?

The family of Ahmad Khan Rahami, arrested in connection with weekend bombings in Seaside Park and New York City, sued the city of Elizabeth in 2011, alleging a pattern of harassment and religious discrimination by city officials.

According to the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Newark, the Rahami family said Elizabeth police officers repeatedly forced the closure of their family restaurant, First American Fried Chicken. The lawsuit alleges one man frequently entered the restaurant and told family members "Muslims don't belong here" and "Muslims are trouble."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/family_of_bombing_suspect_sued_elizabeth_for_discr.html
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Two idiots (very lucky idiots) took one of the bombs out of a suitcase and walked away with the suitcase!

nypost.com/2016/09/19/two-men-took-second-bomb-out-of-suitcase-in-chelsea/
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    edited September 2016

mcgruff10 said:

It's either these people seriously do not understand the whole thing we learned in 3rd grade about how if A causes B it doesn't necessarily mean that B causes A --OR-- they are being intentionally ignorant for political reasons (so ignorance or dishonesty). Ironically, they're the same people (in some cases) that will rage against law enforcement because of what a small % of bad cops do! Hilariously hypocritical.

For the record: don't hold the 99% accountable for the evil of the 1%. But don't pretend that of late, this 1% isn't the driving force of heinous acts that are going on all over the world. Or do pretend it, what do I care. In fact it helps us identify who's being intellectually dishonest.
    Post edited by ckravitz on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It would be nice if we could all just wait and see what an investigation yields.

At the risk of being wrong, it's a pretty safe assumption these days.
    Oh? How do you figure? Not looking to minimize terrorist attacks or anything, but I am always interested in the real risk vs the assumed risk....
    Do you think it's probably some other group/individual? Why don't you throw a reasonable alternative so that people making assumptions should pause before they do?
    I have no idea. TBH, when I first read about the explosion my first thought was "jilted lover" because I have seen stories about this being a somewhat common thing, where some nut job whose girlfriend or wife kicked him out tries to burn down their apartment building, and I know this because that exact thing happened in an apartment building where I lived back in the 90s.
    But after reading about another reason bomb... I still have no idea. I think domestic terrorism is just as likely. I have to honestly say that while of course it's one of the main options, and perhaps what's happened in NYC, my mind doesn't just automatically jump to Islamic terrorism when these kinds of events occur, as though that is by far the most likely culprit.
    jilted lover using pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs? I've never heard of that happening before.
    I didn't say that's ever happened, and didn't suggest that might be the case here.
    Well come on, man.

You're confusing scruffy and I. With scruffy... that's not hard to do, but when you factor in genius here... you might want to think about what you said.
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata