Options

Ed In Milwaukee

Comments

• Options
    Ya I was at the show last night, have to say I was getting pretty pissed off at the hecklers. I was almost ashamed to say that I am from Milwaukee, really made us look like a bunch of a**holes. Sucks that a few morons can ruin it for us. If he does do another solo tour in the future I hope he comes back here, cause all in all that was a great show! Does anyone know if we are going to be able to buy it on disc or Flac, heck ill even take an mp3 or 8 track!
    Alpine Valley 98,00, 03
    Summerfest 06
    Chicago 98, 00, 03

EV Riverside 08
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Rolling Stone probably was there and will have the full interview... :)

I think allot will depend on Chicago...if it goes bad he'll probably just give up on the solo stuff for now and be a dad to #2. Again...allot on his mind these days.

He'll be fine once he's out with the band and can't hear the drunks....or expects them.
    With PJ he can't hear the drunks because he is usually too drunk.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    JibitiJibiti Posts: 264
    I unfortunetly couldn't go to this show due to not only having it sold out, but to have extra tickets selling at the website at the last minute. I really do hope he comes back soon after the negitivity that's been talked about here, and see that Milwaukee isn't an all rude place.
    6.30.06 - Marcus Ampitheatre (Summerfest),
    9.03-04.11 PJ20!!!
    7.19.13 - Wrigley!!!
    10.19.14, 10.20.14 (Yield!!)
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Hey....You know, we've all had sucky days at work where we've stormed out and gotten pissed off by hecklers (my boss is my biggest heckler and ALWAYS points out my faults - nevermind the 99.9999% excellent work I do)....and I'm pretty sure this is more common than I am allowing myself to believe...

We've all had "you suck!" moments at work...so, as for Ed walking off the stage and leaving angry...so what? It happens to everyone. Most of the time you can deal with it, but once in awhile, you've had too much, the meds aren't working as well, you didn't sleep, your spouse is mad, people are particularly nattery, and you really let it get to you and you take it personally (when most of the time it doesn't have anything to do with you - it's other people being jerks and morons for their own reasons)...Ed just had one of those moments last night. It's not a big deal and it's not something for everyone to freak out and wonder if he's sick or something else pissed him off...he has a family to do that... He had a normal reaction to an ongoing stressful situation...

Let's move on...there's two shows left...think about the good stuff, but don't try to predict the future...hope it's good, though...

C'mon Ed, practice the CBT techniques....!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Ed was awesome! Loved his choices of covers and his respect for artists who came before him (John, Paul, Bob, etc.), but...surprise, suprise, the idiots around me made it really hard to enjoy the show. I was in back just in front of the soundboard. To my left a drunk screamer ("F**k you"..."Milwaukee!"..."Shut up!"), and my right the infamous ass ("Where's your wife?!"). We eventually got manchild to the left taken out by security. In addition, being in back I pretty much heard or saw all the other scattered fools. What a waste of an opportunity. If Milwaukee fans want to continue to be favored as they have been with with the disproportionate number of PJ shows, they better find a way to make nice to Eddie quick.
    7/8/95, 6/26/06, 6/27/06, 6/29/06, 6/30/06
  • Options
    PEPPER wrote:
    I keep hearing how bad the Milwaukee crowd was but for some strange reason a lot of the people that were yelling were chanting "Go Cubbies". Don't know many Milwaukee people who would be chanting that crap. I have been to a few Brewers / Cubs games in my time and for some reason Cubs fans like to come up to Milwaukee and act rowdy because they cannot hold there liquor...maybe we should be blaming the Southern Chicago yuppies for the douchbaggery that went on last night (it worked for the Packers when they blamed Minnesota for tampering with Farve)

:)

There were a lot of people from Illinois there, I was standing in line before the show and everyone around me was from Illinois. But who knows, just sucks that people have to be so disrespectful.
    Alpine Valley 98,00, 03
    Summerfest 06
    Chicago 98, 00, 03

EV Riverside 08
  • Options
    mkumer24mkumer24 Posts: 26
    The show was absolutely incredible! Thank you Eddie. It seems like most of the talk of this thread is the crowd. The 4 or 5 drunk idiots were definitely annoying. Some of the comments were completely ridiculous. However, imo, I think Eddie responded too much to the yells. I think responding too much fuels the fire and gives more power to a tiny group of people.

Like others have said, Eddie was happy during crowd participation. Also, they were respectful during some of his stories.. so it wasn't constant. I waited before the show and also till the tour bus left after the show in hopes of meeting Eddie. Yes, I was slightly disappointed. I think the way Eddie ran out and sat in the bus seemed a tad childish. However, he deserves to do these types of things if he's pissed. He doesn't need to "people please" if he doesn't want to. The show was one of the best I've been too. Truly amazing =)

I hope Eddie handles it better in Chicago. With 2k+ people, small venue, and booze there are always these types of people.

Anyways, one last thing. When some of us were waiting for Eddie to come out. Some Riverside employees (while working) were throwing plastic bottles into the Milwaukee River with dry ice in them and laughing about it (trying to see them explode). They kept doing it. We were pretty shocked at their blatant actions. When we confronted the head security guy there he said that they were "supposed" to do this because they couldn't dispose of the dry ice elsewhere (ignoring the dumpsters 2 feet away). He also said that people "sweep up" their garbage in the river later anyways. Obviously, he was completely making up crap. The police department DID confirm that these were violations ;-) And formal complaints were made. Thanks for further polluting our river !
  • Options
    BokiBoki Posts: 23
    Kingmidget wrote:
    No idea on RS...it just really hasn't feaured the tour yet...thinking it should be in the next issue...who knows.

I agree on family and the next PJ LP. Its one reason I can't imagine another VFC tour..too much going on in Ed's life and he's done his short promo bit for OBama at most shows...

Gotcha.

I'm thinking Ed could probably use a surfing vacation about now. Come to think of it, he sort of jumped into the whole Into the Wild project right after finishing the Avocado tour. Coupled with the mini-PJ tours this summer and last, he hasn't gotten of a break. Or maybe it's him and Pearl Jam fans that need a break from each other?
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    lowlight10 wrote:
    I actually did not hear a single person yell out "go cubbies!" but it's probably because I was annoyed by "WOO!" guy behind me.

Okay, I wasn't going to say something, but now I have to. Seriously, are chastising me for APPLAUDING the performance and showing my appreciation? Is clapping annoying to you too? Was I spilling beer on you? Was I yelling "Jeremy" or "Freebird"? Was I leaving every third song to get a beer or piss and bumping into people? Was I trying to pick fights with people?

I was cheering AFTER songs, NOT DURING songs, and I wasn't yelling stupid shit just to hear my own voice or to try and be funny. Maybe I was kind of loud waiting for the encores but that's when you supposed to make some fucking noise! I really find this ironic when half the time people come back from shows and complain that "The crowd wasn't into it at all. People were just standing there with their arms crossed." Is that what you’d rather have? Maybe we could all just SHUT UP to make you happy? I know, we could skip the encores too!
    lowlight10 wrote:
    sad part is, he was wearing one of the yellow "Please Play Alpine Valley" t-shirts. I know he's a fan, seen him at many shows, but dude, seriously, SHUT UP!

The funny part is I DESIGNED THE FUCKING SHIRT when I brought up the idea in the pre-party thread and Faithful2you offered to work with a screen printer he knew to get them made. Find someone else to vilify man. I wasn't fighting with security or yelling "You Suck" at Ed, I was enjoying the fucking show and showing my appreciation for the performance.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options

The funny part is I DESIGNED THE FUCKING SHIRT when I brought up the idea in the pre-party thread and Faithful2you offered to work with a screen printer he knew to get them made. Find someone else to vilify man. I wasn't fighting with security or yelling "You Suck" at Ed, I was enjoying the fucking show and showing my appreciation for the performance.

The shirts are freaking awesome btw. :D

Thank you so much. :)
  • Options
    And one other general comment to make. The city of Milwaukee, FIBs, or Cheeseheads shouldn't be collectively blamed or categorized as bad apples. There's idiots in every city, and in every state.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Damn! Every single one of these posts makes me appreciate the Santa Cruz show more and more. No fancy rare covers, no frills, but compared to most of the West Coast/East Coast combined, just really an extremely cool show. Even with that guy with the cell phone and people rythm clapping to Deadman.
    No doubt! Santa Cruz was soooooooo good.
    tacos
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    a8l wrote:
    Here is my take for anyone who wants to read it:

This was my second Ed solo show and my friends third (making it 4 between us).

The heckling in Milwaukee was no worse than the others, in fact it wasn't as bad as Toronto; at least from my seat.

One minute Ed would be asking for silence, the next he would be asking the crowd which song the wanted to hear.... it made no sense.

Ed seemed to not be able to ignore even the slightest and insignificant comments from the crowd.

The venue was very nice and Liam once again won the crowd over.

I don't want to bash Ed, but I would hate to read any newspaper reviews of the show because... honestly Ed's set was dominated by him scolding the crowd. It sucked all of the emotion out of the songs.

I figured a few people would have this take. I just couldn't agree less.
    tacos
  • Options
    I'd like to add something positive to say too. Crowd issues aside, this WAS a great show. I was really happy to get the chance to see ARC, Soon Forget, the ITW songs, Millworker, Broken Heart, Won't Back Down (I was REALLY hoping to see that), Man of the Hour, and Driftin. Some of those certainly wouldn't make it into a regular PJ setlist, and it was great to see them showcased properly in a more intimate setting.

I was also generally impressed with the approach that they took to the stage set, the white lab coats, and the Sweepy Monster. :)

The bit about the "fierce competition between smaller instruments" and the other comments he had to say where also great, and a show of his true showmanship. Even though it was obviously a show of anger and exaparation, even the falling down/pushups were an interesting momment.

I didn't think Hard Sun could be played with "face melting" furry like it was, although it's sad to know that it was done in anger.
  • Options
    Looks like lots of post on this one. I was fortunate to see Eddie 6 times on this tour and it seems that Canada is the key. Montreal crowd was amazing and Toronto was good. However, Boston was not great. Maybe because we had Ed 4 times this summer. (Not enough for me). Anyway, WI hasn't had Ed for some time so I'm sure people got wasted before the show thinking that it might be a pj show. I don't understand why anyone would drink before these solo shows. Enjoy the show and then drink away the night thinking about how perfect it was to see this man sing to you like he was in your living room. This was an amazing tour.

PJ - Please finish the new album soon and come back next summer.

The New song in Montreal was AWESOME - hoping it is on the next album.
    35 Shows and Growing
    6 EV Solo
    "This is the Greatest band in the world" Ben Harper MSG 03 #1
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    Boki wrote:
    I'm thinking Ed could probably use a surfing vacation about now.

Yes. He needs to bring his solo show down to Australia. Now!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    If this were in the 70s, Fonzie, Robin Yount and Carmine Ragussa would have taken matters into their own hands. Maybe even Squiggy and Chachi would have gotten involved as well!
    But not Lenny, cause he's "one wolf".
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Okay, I wasn't going to say something, but now I have to. Seriously, are chastising me for APPLAUDING the performance and showing my appreciation? Is clapping annoying to you too? Was I spilling beer on you? Was I yelling "Jeremy" or "Freebird"? Was I leaving every third song to get a beer or piss and bumping into people? Was I trying to pick fights with people?

I was cheering AFTER songs, NOT DURING songs, and I wasn't yelling stupid shit just to hear my own voice or to try and be funny. Maybe I was kind of loud waiting for the encores but that's when you supposed to make some fucking noise! I really find this ironic when half the time people come back from shows and complain that "The crowd wasn't into it at all. People were just standing there with their arms crossed." Is that what you’d rather have? Maybe we could all just SHUT UP to make you happy? I know, we could skip the encores too!

I totally agree- make some noise between the songs and and at the end of the show- We were in the balcony with maybe not alot of "fans" around. Hardly any clapping and people coming and going- while Ed was performing so annoying. We had no sing along peeps to hide my crummy voice but who cares.People were leaving early I guess to miss the rush!?? Or miss my voice!
    I don't think it was Ed's point to not have us behave like fans but to just listen to him.Enjoy HIM- We should never hold back but always be respectful. And the shirts and idea for the shirts was awesome. And of course PJ will do Alpine- thats a great venue- probably a favorite of theirs.
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    I'm sure there were a lot of imported fans, but I have to say that after last night's crowd, and the embarrassing crowd at Summerfest '06, that Mil is not one of my favorite places to see a show.

The show was otherwise great, though we missed out on Lukin & Reign o'er me - probably because of the stupid yelling. I'm not even sure.. our row sucked with people getting up and leaving about 20 times.

MOTH was intense, Arc gave me shivers again and Won't Back Down was a treat. Ed sounded spectacular as always.

Hoping for better tonight :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,115
    JaneNY wrote:
    Trent Reznor's done it. Several times. Kicked the keyboard over and walked off. Now people shut up and listen during Hurt. Ed should drop the guitar and walk off. Seriously. Its how you teach toddlers to behave - the fun stops when they misbehave. People are acting like toddlers and maybe deserve that treatment. I'd feel bad for the fact that its a few bad apples, but maybe its the only way.

Well, that would sure be a crappy way to deal with it...I'm glad you're not Ed.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Well, that would sure be a crappy way to deal with it...I'm glad you're not Ed.

Aah but it worked didn't it. I wouldn't blame him a bit if he did it.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    DesignVHLDesignVHL Posts: 297
    mkumer24 wrote:
    The show was absolutely incredible! Thank you Eddie. It seems like most of the talk of this thread is the crowd. The 4 or 5 drunk idiots were definitely annoying. Some of the comments were completely ridiculous. However, imo, I think Eddie responded too much to the yells. I think responding too much fuels the fire and gives more power to a tiny group of people.

Like others have said, Eddie was happy during crowd participation. Also, they were respectful during some of his stories.. so it wasn't constant. I waited before the show and also till the tour bus left after the show in hopes of meeting Eddie. Yes, I was slightly disappointed. I think the way Eddie ran out and sat in the bus seemed a tad childish. However, he deserves to do these types of things if he's pissed. He doesn't need to "people please" if he doesn't want to. The show was one of the best I've been too. Truly amazing =)

I hope Eddie handles it better in Chicago. With 2k+ people, small venue, and booze there are always these types of people.

Anyways, one last thing. When some of us were waiting for Eddie to come out. Some Riverside employees (while working) were throwing plastic bottles into the Milwaukee River with dry ice in them and laughing about it (trying to see them explode). They kept doing it. We were pretty shocked at their blatant actions. When we confronted the head security guy there he said that they were "supposed" to do this because they couldn't dispose of the dry ice elsewhere (ignoring the dumpsters 2 feet away). He also said that people "sweep up" their garbage in the river later anyways. Obviously, he was completely making up crap. The police department DID confirm that these were violations ;-) And formal complaints were made. Thanks for further polluting our river !

WOW I'm quite surprised by this...totally sucks they are polluting...probably ends up near me in chicago. :( I'm so glad they were reported - I hope the police gave them the violations. Maybe next time they'll take better care of mother earth. :)
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    This is my first time weighing in on the show...was too busy at work to comment yesterday. Anyway, I wasn't lucky enough to score 10C tix so I was in the 25th row for the show. One of the "ass hats" was sitting two rows behind us and kept yelling "Milwaukee" through the whole show. All I kept thinking was "WTF?" Other people have said in this thread that they just focused on the show and could block out all the noise. Well it gets a little difficult when one of the ass hats is sitting so close to you. I still had a great time and Eddie was, of course, awesome. I was thrilled that he played as long as he did. I guess I think of it like going to see a play, would you just keep yelling things out in the middle of it? Yes, this was a concert but it was also NOT a typical PJ concert. The people who didn't get that had no business being at the show. As far as Eddie's actions at the end, it might seem childish or whatever but it's not like he didn't try numerous times to get these idiots to be quiet. I can totally understand his frustration.

Patrick, sorry I missed the pre-party. I haven't been on the pit in awhile and didn't even know about it. Met you at the Yield parties. It would have been great to see you and meet some other members too.
    Do you see the way that tree bends?
    Does it inspire?
    Leaning out to catch the sun's rays
    A lesson to be applied
    Lollapalooza 8.5.07
    Gorge 7.22.06, 7.23.06
    Summerfest 6.29.06, 6.30.06
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    my2hands wrote:
    who gives a shit if people are rowdy and yelling... its a rock concert with the lead singer of a rock band, not a fucking Opera :rolleyes:

i like the energy myself, now of course i wasnt yelling, but i still like the energy. i thought DC 1 was way better then DC2 just becasue of the energy

call me crazy
    Well I give a shit if the yelling makes the singer cut his set short.
    Really not fair to the people who can act like an adult.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    I'm sure there were a lot of imported fans, but I have to say that after last night's crowd, and the embarrassing crowd at Summerfest '06, that Mil is not one of my favorite places to see a show.

The show was otherwise great, though we missed out on Lukin & Reign o'er me - probably because of the stupid yelling. I'm not even sure.. our row sucked with people getting up and leaving about 20 times.

MOTH was intense, Arc gave me shivers again and Won't Back Down was a treat. Ed sounded spectacular as always.

Hoping for better tonight :)

I wasn't aware that he was playing Love Reign on this solo tour.

Patrick, sorry I missed the pre-party. I haven't been on the pit in awhile and didn't even know about it. Met you at the Yield parties. It would have been great to see you and meet some other members too.

Yes I remember you. :) Glad you went to the show too bad we had some bad apples in the crowd.
  • Options
    DesignVHLDesignVHL Posts: 297
    me neither but it would definitely be a great one to hear for one of these chicago shows! :)
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    raa0425raa0425 Posts: 34
    This is my first time weighing in on the show...was too busy at work to comment yesterday. Anyway, I wasn't lucky enough to score 10C tix so I was in the 25th row for the show. One of the "ass hats" was sitting two rows behind us and kept yelling "Milwaukee" through the whole show.

That's funny, at DC1 my friend and I were sitting in front of the guy who at the beginning of the show kept yelling "EDDIE"...."ED"........"EDWARD" after several times of doing this my friend finally turned around and told him "Dude, I think he knows his name". The guy shut up for the rest of the show.
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    he is NOT playing Love Reign O'er Me.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    lowlight10 wrote:
    he is NOT playing Love Reign O'er Me.

Didn't think so either.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,115
    This is my first time weighing in on the show...was too busy at work to comment yesterday. Anyway, I wasn't lucky enough to score 10C tix so I was in the 25th row for the show.

I was lucky enough for 10c seat sand was 20th row...so don't feel too bad.
    hippiemom = goodness