Options

Police shooting people.....

Comments

• Options

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Just a quick question. How is it that multiple police officers found it so hard to restrict the arms of a single man so as to ensure that he was not capable of reaching for a gun? Surely this should have been their first priority, securing his weapon

Exactly. Those cops' lives were not actually in danger, and that is the problem. They just wanted the guy to stop squirming to make it easier for them, so they shot him in the head.
    Why do you say their lives weren't in danger?
    Because they had him pinned to the ground with a knee on his neck and at least one more cop there to restrain his arms.
    It is like rape. The more the victim struggles the worse it is for them.
    The victim either has to fight which often leads to their violent demise or give up and let it happen.
    As long as this guy was resisting while not in hancuffs and hogtied like a pig and was carrying a weapon the police were not safe.

I really can't tell if you're sincere, but are you suggesting someone being raped is better off just lying back and taking some violent fuck's dick (or worse) vs fighting back?

Yeah, I lean toward the latter.

Sorry, but comparing this to rape...two completely different situations and while I can appreciate the parallels you're trying to put forth, that is a fucked up analogy.

I hope you can see that.
    Getting to a point in the struggle and knowing that the only way to survive the attack is to let it happen is what it was to be interpreted as.
    Bobby Knight once said, "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."

It might have been one of the more insensitive things I've ever heard. PJFan... your comments are very close to his.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Just a quick question. How is it that multiple police officers found it so hard to restrict the arms of a single man so as to ensure that he was not capable of reaching for a gun? Surely this should have been their first priority, securing his weapon

Exactly. Those cops' lives were not actually in danger, and that is the problem. They just wanted the guy to stop squirming to make it easier for them, so they shot him in the head.
    Because they had him pinned to the ground with a knee on his neck and at least one more cop there to restrain his arms.
    The victim either has to fight which often leads to their violent demise or give up and let it happen.
    As long as this guy was resisting while not in hancuffs and hogtied like a pig and was carrying a weapon the police were not safe.

I really can't tell if you're sincere, but are you suggesting someone being raped is better off just lying back and taking some violent fuck's dick (or worse) vs fighting back?

Sorry, but comparing this to rape...two completely different situations and while I can appreciate the parallels you're trying to put forth, that is a fucked up analogy.

I hope you can see that.
    Getting to a point in the struggle and knowing that the only way to survive the attack is to let it happen is what it was to be interpreted as.
    Police restraining someone with a gun is one thing. Unless completely unprovoked, that is not an attack.

Being raped is.

I can accept that we see the scenarios differently.
  • Options

muskydan said:

I see a lot of how the police can change, but can we also have a conversation as to how some in the black community need to change. There is a culture in the portions of the black community that have no respect for anything. I have seen the videos of the projects, I have worked in black neighborhoods. There is a portion that do not have any respect for their fellow man, for other peoples property, for each other. I don't know, there is no simple answer, but I do not believe this is all the police or all the whites or all the blacks or all the whoever fault. Each party has a part in the current discourse. Until everyone can admit that we will not be able to move forward.

"But can we also have a conversation as how some in the black community need to change".... I hate to inform you of this Dirty, but that Be Racist. Ain't nobody got time for that kind of talk.
    Quick, change the colour. Change the colour!

edit - liking the new avatar musky
    I'm curious to know how Obama has slapped a target on the back of police officers? What specifically has he done?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.
    Bobby Knight once said, "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."

It might have been one of the more insensitive things I've ever heard. PJFan... your comments are very close to his.
    Thank you, Thirty.

And thank goodness for the music that took me off the bull-in-a-china-shop mindset.

Currently, and funnily enough, Folsom Prison Blues here at the moment =)
  • Options

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.

Your missing it. When you struggle with police the only way your struggle will end is when you end it yourself.

• Options

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.

Your missing it. When you struggle with police the only way your struggle will end is when you end it yourself.

No. I get it. I just think there are multiple other analogies that work better and offend less.
  • Options

muskydan said:

I see a lot of how the police can change, but can we also have a conversation as to how some in the black community need to change. There is a culture in the portions of the black community that have no respect for anything. I have seen the videos of the projects, I have worked in black neighborhoods. There is a portion that do not have any respect for their fellow man, for other peoples property, for each other. I don't know, there is no simple answer, but I do not believe this is all the police or all the whites or all the blacks or all the whoever fault. Each party has a part in the current discourse. Until everyone can admit that we will not be able to move forward.

"But can we also have a conversation as how some in the black community need to change".... I hate to inform you of this Dirty, but that Be Racist. Ain't nobody got time for that kind of talk.
    Quick, change the colour. Change the colour!

edit - liking the new avatar musky
    I'm curious to know how Obama has slapped a target on the back of police officers? What specifically has he done?
    Art is subjective just like political cartoons.
    Everyone reads them differently.
  • Options

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.

No. I get it. I just think there are multiple other analogies that work better and offend less.
    Ok. Do you have another example where as humans in a situation where flight is no longer an option and the only outcome is death or submission, submission prevails?
  • Options

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.

Ok. Do you have another example where as humans in a situation where flight is no longer an option and the only outcome is death or submission, submission prevails?
    A toddler in trouble and resisting his parents.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.

How about if you are a convicted felon and have an illegal gun on you don't resist being arrested.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.

A toddler in trouble and resisting his parents.
    A toddler in care of proper parents would never be in that position.
    Sometimes worried about the reaction of the parent yes but most always has a choice.
    Do you want to watch one more show or go to your room?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.

How about if you are a convicted felon and have an illegal gun on you don't resist being arrested.
    Using that analogy falls on deaf ears and brings about the innocent until blah, blah, blah
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,695
    It's always interesting to me that many of the people who want smaller government and claim the government can't do anything right are the first ones to bend over backward justifying police violence and be fine with giving up constitutional rights, such as probable cause.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.

Using that analogy falls on deaf ears and brings about the innocent until blah, blah, blah
    which is fucking sad. you break the law, raise your hands in the air and don't resist. for a policeman it's a split second decision on what is a life threatening situation.....
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you can see that.

Where is the "keep digging" smiley?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    ^^^
    The only people that should keep digging are the ones who like to have police at certain events they attend to keep the surly out.
  • Options
    Just watching the news seeing all these people protest against cops....imagine if people came together like that to protest gang violence?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Just watching the news seeing all these people protest against cops....imagine if people came together like that to protest gang violence?

Why do people make this statement? A protest is typically done as a statement about the government or individuals in the government. It's a necessary function of democracy. Black on black crime is a different issue. If a bunch of white people have a protest about gun control, no one asks why don't they protest white people shooting white people (also popular). Regardless, blacks do protest crime and violence in their communities. Just because it doesn't get played in the news very much doesn't mean it's not happening.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

mcgruff10 said:

Why do people make this statement? A protest is typically done as a statement about the government or individuals in the government. It's a necessary function of democracy. Black on black crime is a different issue. If a bunch of white people have a protest about gun control, no one asks why don't they protest white people shooting white people (also popular). Regardless, blacks do protest crime and violence in their communities. Just because it doesn't get played in the news very much doesn't mean it's not happening.
    Kind of like when white people getting killed by police don't make the 24/7 news cycle. And can you provide a link where black people have protested against gang violence in their own city
    Along the same lines? Please enlighten me.
    Oh and why is black on black crime a different issue?
    And why are you going with the race card? I said imagine if "people" came together like this to protest gang violence. No colors in my statement.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    If the rate of cops killing whites was the same as cops killing blacks, then we'd have a different story, the problem is, cops kill blacks at about 3x the rate they kill whites. And maybe I made an assumption about race when you referred to the people protesting and gang violence.
    Links:
    huffingtonpost.com/entry/alphas-in-the-streets-march_us_565364c2e4b0879a5b0be458
    theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/04/why-dont-black-people-protest-black-on-black-violence/255329/
    bet.com/news/national/2012/06/15/rev-jesse-jackson-takes-on-black-on-black-violence.html
    wwlp.com/2014/07/19/protest-against-gang-violence-held-in-magazine-park/
    chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/07/02/marchers-protest-violence-on-south-side/
  • Options

If the rate of cops killing whites was the same as cops killing blacks, then we'd have a different story, the problem is, cops kill blacks at about 3x the rate they kill whites. And maybe I made an assumption about race when you referred to the people protesting and gang violence.
    Links:
    huffingtonpost.com/entry/alphas-in-the-streets-march_us_565364c2e4b0879a5b0be458
    theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/04/why-dont-black-people-protest-black-on-black-violence/255329/
    bet.com/news/national/2012/06/15/rev-jesse-jackson-takes-on-black-on-black-violence.html
    wwlp.com/2014/07/19/protest-against-gang-violence-held-in-magazine-park/
    chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/07/02/marchers-protest-violence-on-south-side/

Yes no more than a thousand protested in each of your articles. Yippe Kay yay!
    Please. Show me a protest with the same numbers as what I saw on tv today when people were protesting cops.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Attention mcruff10
    I say again, attention mcruff10.
    Your account has been hacked and is saying things.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

^^^
    Attention mcruff10

I m not understanding bud. I m saying I wish people actually cared about protesting against gang violence more than being so anti police.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited July 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

^^^
    Attention mcruff10

I m not understanding bud. I m saying I wish people actually cared about protesting against gang violence more than being so anti police.
    You seem to be missing a rather obvious distinction here. You can protest gang violence all you like but gang members are criminals and they really don't care about any protests. The police on the other hand are held to be upholders of law and peace and are subject to public scrutiny. Thus a protest may actually achieve something by yielding enough pressure to bring about positive change
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

^^^
    Attention mcruff10

Ah ok.
    Your latest few posts typically don't read/sound like you.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

More whites were shot and killed by the police then blacks last year. Where are you coming up with more blacks were shot and killed?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,026
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I really don't see how you couldn't think heir lives were in danger. The guy doesn't have to be winning a wrestling match to put their lives in danger. The cops knew he was armed, it only takes 1 hand getting free for 2 or 3 seconds and they can be dead. On the ground, face down with a knee on your back is still very possible to get a single hand free, and anyone whose ever wrestled for sport or in a fight knows how hard it is to 100% contain every limb from someone completely determined to do you harm. you can have someone completely pinned down and they can still get a hand free. He had his chance to surrender, the police gave him multiple chances, and gave him one last chance after the gun was drawn by giving a final warning with the gun pointed to his head. He made his choice, not the cops.

But when the cops fear for their lives is a very big "but" to ignore when you're talking about resisting arrest not being punishable by death.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,026

It is really sad how some in minority communities are raised. I worked at a school in South-Central LA for several years. The type of neighborhood you don't want to be in after the sun goes down. Gunshots were common outside the school campus. I was stopped at a police barricade 1 block down the street because they were searching all cars for a missing body. This is the area of one of the largest school districts in our country.
    I have seen parents on many occasions tell their children to not listen to police, teachers, or really anyone other than them. These kids grow up being taught to hate cops. They grow up in homes where the only interaction they've had with a cop is when a few came to take their dad to jail. Or only show up when dad is beating mom, then the anger turns to the cops for taking the parents away. Its difficult to fault a kid when that is what he is taught, to hate cops, teachers, security, managers, anyone of authority. Go to a McDonalds in South Central and you'll see more people throwing their trash on the floor and walls than in the trashcan, and don't even think twice about it. And so many wonder why those schools fail, why crime is so high, why so many join gangs. So its not surprising that as a teen or young adult so many resist arrest, and feel they have a right to fight back and its a shame they have no idea there's real consequences for that.
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

More whites were shot and killed by the police then blacks last year. Where are you coming up with more blacks were shot and killed?
    I didn't say more blacks were shot than whites. You're three times more likely to be shot by a cop if you're black than if you're white.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653

EM194007 said:

I didn't say more blacks were shot than whites. You're three times more likely to be shot by a cop if you're black than if you're white.
    Unarmed black men are actually 7 times more likely to be killed by a cop than Unarmed white men.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata