Options

Police shooting people.....

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

muskydan said:

Also, should she be posting on facebook while her boyfriend is dying? Why not call 911? Put pressure on the wound? Something other than posting it to Facebook.

Now you are on to something
    I'm not onto any conspiracy theory. It's just an odd thing to do while your boyfriend is dying. I mean her initial reaction after shots were fired were to pull out her phone? Not to protect her child? Or help her fiance? It's an odd reaction. I would like to hear the officers story. I think everyone may be a little too quick to think it happened how she said it happened.
    Again you don't know if she didn't do all those things BEFORE the video was shot. She may have done ALL of what you ask but the officer then tells her not move or do anything. So she then possibly decides the only thing I can do is record what is going down and she did.

I've said before if it's not on video that the officer gave the order to get his L&R nothing will happen to this officer.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566

^^^
    It is the society of today.
    Pics/facebook or it didn't happen.

In this case that would probably literally be true. Black people are on high alertnwuen it comes to police shootings now. They want to get it on film because it is their only defense.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^

In this case that would probably literally be true. Black people are on high alertnwuen it comes to police shootings now. They want to get it on film because it is their only defense.
    Any case really.
    Public (not black people) want police to wear bodycams for what reason?
    Pretty sure this officer had one and the video may/may not be released publicly just in court.
    Pics/facebook first or it didn't happen is the society today.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^

I disagree with that. It's not a defense at all.
    g under p said:

muskydan said:

Also, should she be posting on facebook while her boyfriend is dying? Why not call 911? Put pressure on the wound? Something other than posting it to Facebook.

I'm not onto any conspiracy theory. It's just an odd thing to do while your boyfriend is dying. I mean her initial reaction after shots were fired were to pull out her phone? Not to protect her child? Or help her fiance? It's an odd reaction. I would like to hear the officers story. I think everyone may be a little too quick to think it happened how she said it happened.
    Again you don't know if she didn't do all those things BEFORE the video was shot. She may have done ALL of what you ask but the officer then tells her not move or do anything. So she then possibly decides the only thing I can do is record what is going down and she did.

I've said before if it's not on video that the officer gave the order to get his L&R nothing will happen to this officer.

Peace
    No, I don't know if she did any of those things. My guess is she didnt. Also curious to see if the cop had a body cam.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

g under p said:

muskydan said:

Peace
    No, I don't know if she did any of those things. My guess is she didnt. Also curious to see if the cop had a body cam.
    So I gather then you would be surprised if she did attempt to assist the victim and her child. Well a body camera would to solve some of the mystery in this shooting. It certainly would help to tell the truth as to whether or not the officer gave the order to get his L & R. If the officer did give that order why shoot. Also did the officer while giving this order already had his weapon unholstered?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

g under p said:

muskydan said:

Peace
    So I gather then you would be surprised if she did attempt to assist the victim and her child. Well a body camera would to solve some of the mystery in this shooting. It certainly would help to tell the truth as to whether or not the officer gave the order to get his L & R. If the officer did give that order why shoot. Also did the officer while giving this order already had his weapon unholstered?

Peace

We would see if a bodycam video was presented.
    We only have one video to look at.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    g under p said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

g under p said:

muskydan said:

Peace

Peace

No, it wouldn't surprise me as I feel that is the appropriate reaction. And if there was a body cam on that cop, then we won't see it for a while.

You bring up a good question about when the gun was drawn.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

g under p said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

g under p said:

muskydan said:

Peace

Peace

We would see if a bodycam video was presented.
    We only have one video to look at.
    Correct, at this point we only have the video given to look at. The police dept could've have the bodycam video but have not released it as yet. I mean in these shootings many depts don't want to release the names of their officers in order to protect their identity. So all we can do for now is wait and see as to what will come about this shooting.

Peace

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    jeffbr said:

All of these cases are situational, and shouldn't be lumped together.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    my2hands said:

jeffbr said:

If you ignore all the evidence to the contrary. Then yeah, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120

pjalive21 said:

innocent until proven guilty unless you're a cop then you're guilty and in the wrong before the facts even come out...its the new fad

now if only the protesters gave two shits about all the killings that go on everyday in their neighborhoods

And I agree with you. Its the new fad for Police Officers.
    Guilty until proven innocent.
    You know that's BS. How many convictions have you seen?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730

pjalive21 said:

innocent until proven guilty unless you're a cop then you're guilty and in the wrong before the facts even come out...its the new fad

now if only the protesters gave two shits about all the killings that go on everyday in their neighborhoods

And I agree with you. Its the new fad for Police Officers.
    Guilty until proven innocent.
    You know that's BS. How many convictions have you seen?
    Exactly. Maybe they're in the court of public opinion (which doesn't matter), but more often than not they're not convicted on criminal charges.

The whole situation is sad. Of all the police officers in the country, I'd say that 1% are racist morons. Just like a percentage of every single group of people on earth are racist morons. But cops, equipped with so much authority (and guns) simply can't be racist....

And they can't be stupid either. Like the cop in the second shooting this weekend, where the girlfriend videotaped the aftermath in the car, 1) he could have absolutely used his tazer if he felt threatened, 2) If he insisted in using his gun, one shot could have sufficed, and 3) shouldn't the cop immediately try to assist the man who was bleeding to death? Like try to stop the bleeding somehow?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    dignin said:

my2hands said:

jeffbr said:

If you ignore all the evidence to the contrary. Then yeah, nothing to see here.
    What evidence to the contrary? I'm not talking about trends or stats. I'm talking about these two specific shootings. They were completely different circumstances, completely different types of victims (one was a known criminal shitbag who was threatening the public with a weapon, the other a high school cafeteria supervisor with a concealed carry permit minding his own business). Perhaps it is you who is ignoring evidence and relying on generalizations. I believe those generalizations are important to consider for context, but I also believe evidence in each specific case is needed before cops are lynched. Who are you accusing of ignoring evidence?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    mickeyrat said:

pjalive21 said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/index.html

Overwhelmed. I started tearing up. This guy's life is ending in front of us. Ugh. Too much.

This is tragic nonetheless but we come into the story halfway thru it...will admit from where it starts it doesn't look good and he was licensed to carry a gun, but in this particular case I definitely need to get all the facts

this woman's poor child...now that gets me
    informed the cop he carried, was licensed. stated he was reaching for id. AS ORDERED. murdered.

anything else you want?
    Yes, more facts. All I've seen so far is a video after the fact and the girlfriend giving her side of the story.
    If her story is true then yes, very bad. The very best we could hope for is the cop was paranoid with an itchy trigger finger. What I haven't seen (don't know if it's out yet?) is any other footage, what happened prior to the shooting, the cops side of the story.
    Did no one not learn anything from Ferguson and rushing to judgment? "Hands up don't shoot" never happened, it was proven with physical evidence that many "eye witnesses
    weren't even at the scene, and that there was a struggle at the police car.
    So what more do I want? A full investigation and a complete story before I wish to judgment. If he was ordered to take out his ID and was then shot, then yes the cop should punished for that. But lets at least hear his side and see some evidence before we crucify him.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

my2hands said:

pjalive21 said:

Who are you or anyone else to say that people don't care about the daily shootings in their neighborhood?
    60 Murders in the city of Chicago over 4th of July weekend is proof no one give a shit

I think people do give a shit. But I don't think it's fair to compare those shootings (pretty much all gang shootings) to police shootings. Apples and oranges. There are so many factors that make those two separate issues.
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^

I think this question I have is a pretty good one...

if you just saw your bf get shot for just going to get his license why in the hell then do you think you can grab your phone and start recording?? the danger for her getting shot is the moment her bf got shot. why didn't she start recording when the incident started?

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    The Minnesota case is a tragedy. The Dallas situation is beyond awful. Sad week for mankind.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

my2hands said:

pjalive21 said:

Who are you or anyone else to say that people don't care about the daily shootings in their neighborhood?
    60 Murders in the city of Chicago over 4th of July weekend is proof no one give a shit

I think people do give a shit. But I don't think it's fair to compare those shootings (pretty much all gang shootings) to police shootings. Apples and oranges. There are so many factors that make those two separate issues.
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^

if you just saw your bf get shot for just going to get his license why in the hell then do you think you can grab your phone and start recording?? the danger for her getting shot is the moment her bf got shot. why didn't she start recording when the incident started?

Because she didn't expect him to get shot. I think that answers it.

• Options
    eddiec said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

my2hands said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

Because she didn't expect him to get shot. I think that answers it.

No she probably didn't but that doesn't pertain to the question.
    I think its a good question. Doesn't mean she's lying, just a good question to ask. She took her phone out after he was shot. If the person next to you got shot for taking out his ID, I think its fair to say what made you feel safe enough to take your phone out? But then again if he was even reaching for a gun, why would you reach for a phone in either case. Just another reason to not rush to judgment. I've only heard one side of the story so far. He may be guilty, we don't know.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

my2hands said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

If I was a black person in America I actually think I would think to film any and all incidents between myself and the police, or any that happened anywhere near me. The more severe the incident, the more likely I would be to try and record it. I think past events have taught African-Americans that this is a very good idea. I imagine that she starting filming as soon as it occurred to her to do so. I personally would not think of doing this in my current life because I am a white woman in Canada. But why are you even asking these questions? I honestly don't see anything to be "suspicious of", if that is what you're thinking. Also, why are you assuming she had to take her phone "out"? It could easily have already been in her hand, on her lap, on the dashboard, on the centre console, wherever. Anyway, I just don't understand why you think this is a topic worth focusing on.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

my2hands said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

If I was a black person in America I actually think I would think to film any and all incidents between myself and the police, or any that happened anywhere near me. The more severe the incident, the more likely I would be to try and record it. I think past events have taught African-Americans that this is a very good idea. I imagine that she starting filming as soon as it occurred to her to do so. I personally would not think of doing this in my current life because I am a white woman in Canada. But why are you even asking these questions? I honestly don't see anything to be "suspicious of", if that is what you're thinking. Also, why are you assuming she had to take her phone "out"? It could easily have already been in her hand, on her lap, on the dashboard, on the centre console, wherever. Anyway, I just don't understand why you think this is a topic worth focusing on.
    I don't think it means anything yet, but should be asked. It could help her case. If she says she always takes her phone out to record police that makes sense, or that her insurance information is saved on her phone so she was getting it out when asked that makes sense too. If she says the cop repeatedly told her keep her hands on the wheel then was yelling at her to do so, but didn't like the way he was asking so she was getting it out to record how he was yelling at her to keep her hands visible, that could explain why the cop got scared and had an itchy trigger finger. I think every possible question should be asked in this case to learn as much as possible, and not just assume the cop is guilty or innocent.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I don't think it matters one way or another why or when she filmed it. She obviously thought to do so, and did when she could. I don't think anything beyond that should be meaningful because it has absolutely nothing to do with her fiance being shot by that cop IMO. If that cop shot her fiance at point blank range because she had a fucking cell phone in her hand and she was able to just keep on holding the cell phone long after the shooting, well..... I don't think that's really worth thinking about, because it doesn't seem like a reasonable thought to me, because it makes no sense at all. Of course, anyone can think about whatever they want. I just don't see how any of that is relevant.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

my2hands said:

pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

I honestly don't see anything to be "suspicious of", if that is what you're thinking. Also, why are you assuming she had to take her phone "out"? It could easily have already been in her hand, on her lap, on the dashboard, on the centre console, wherever. Anyway, I just don't understand why you think this is a topic worth focusing on.
    I'm not suspicious at all but why do we pick up the video after he is shot and already bleeding? If I was her (and I know everyone is different) if I witnessed that I wouldn't have moved at all especially to grab any object, anywhere in the car because I would have been scared to do so. I mean did you see or hear how skittish the cop sounded? I'm just wondering why her first thought was to go live on facebook??

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think it matters one way or another why or when she filmed it. She obviously thought to do so, and did when she could. I don't think anything beyond that should be meaningful because it has absolutely nothing to do with her fiance being shot by that cop IMO. If that cop shot her fiance at point blank range because she had a fucking cell phone in her hand and she was able to just keep on holding the cell phone long after the shooting, well..... I don't think that's really worth thinking about, because it doesn't seem like a reasonable thought to me, because it makes no sense at all. Of course, anyone can think about whatever they want. I just don't see how any of that is relevant.

Yeah, it doesn't matter. It's just cop apologists trying to muddy the waters. When you got nothing else to hang onto you resort to character assassination. It's happened in all these shootings involving black men.
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,866
    edited July 2016
    mace1229 said:

mickeyrat said:

pjalive21 said:

Overwhelmed. I started tearing up. This guy's life is ending in front of us. Ugh. Too much.

This is tragic nonetheless but we come into the story halfway thru it...will admit from where it starts it doesn't look good and he was licensed to carry a gun, but in this particular case I definitely need to get all the facts

informed the cop he carried, was licensed. stated he was reaching for id. AS ORDERED. murdered.

anything else you want?
    Yes, more facts. All I've seen so far is a video after the fact and the girlfriend giving her side of the story.
    If her story is true then yes, very bad. The very best we could hope for is the cop was paranoid with an itchy trigger finger. What I haven't seen (don't know if it's out yet?) is any other footage, what happened prior to the shooting, the cops side of the story.
    Did no one not learn anything from Ferguson and rushing to judgment? "Hands up don't shoot" never happened, it was proven with physical evidence that many "eye witnesses
    So what more do I want? A full investigation and a complete story before I wish to judgment. If he was ordered to take out his ID and was then shot, then yes the cop should punished for that. But lets at least hear his side and see some evidence before we crucify him.
    Who announces to a police officer that they have a weapon on their persons and a permit to carry such weapon, if their intentions are malicious or criminal? Something tells me that this young man was not about to go out in the blaze of glory with his 4 year old daughter in the backseat during a routine traffic stop. Not to mention that he was racially profiled to begin with! News reports have confirmed what was said by the police officers over the police scanners before he was pulled over. The officer had stated that this young man looks like a robbery suspect because of the "wide set-nose"! Sorry, but nothing makes any sense here to justify the officers actions.

http://gawker.com/cop-on-apparent-police-scanner-audio-said-philando-cast-1783339741
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    +

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    edited July 2016
    pjalive21 said:

+

Ah forget it
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:

mace1229 said:

mickeyrat said:

pjalive21 said:

anything else you want?
    Who announces to a police officer that they have a weapon on their persons and a permit to carry such weapon, if their intentions are malicious or criminal?
    I completely agree with your point here and this is important.....

When his gf did a interview with people in the street she stated that the officer asked for his ID and it was when he was reaching for his ID that he told the officer that he had a weapon and that he was a conceal and carry licensee...I believe it was at this time the cop in this case got skittish and made a grave error. Now this assessment is going off the interview I saw her do with people in the street so who knows the actual truth we may never know and that is the saddest part.

Now im speaking for myself if I get pulled over right as that cop comes up to that window my hands are on the dash and immediately telling them I have a weapon and I have a license to do so. I wouldn't leave any time in between in the conversation before that came out and that's what you're taught when you get your license.

• Options
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, it doesn't matter. It's just cop apologists trying to muddy the waters. When you got nothing else to hang onto you resort to character assassination. It's happened in all these shootings involving black men.
    While an aspect of this might be true... it needs to be said that such character assassinations happen on both sides of the equation.

Cops are hung by eager cop haters the moment a black man is shot regardless of any circumstances leading to the event.

* It's taken a while, but as these shootings have become the norm... I've developed the ability to wait and see what the story is before jumping to too many conclusions.

I can't imagine any story that might justify the Minnesota shooting, but at the same time and prior to last night... I'm having trouble thinking a cop pulls a black guy over and is intent on murder.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:

mace1229 said:

mickeyrat said:

pjalive21 said:

anything else you want?
    Who announces to a police officer that they have a weapon on their persons and a permit to carry such weapon, if their intentions are malicious or criminal? Something tells me that this young man was not about to go out in the blaze of glory with his 4 year old daughter in the backseat during a routine traffic stop. Not to mention that he was racially profiled to begin with! News reports have confirmed what was said by the police officers over the police scanners before he was pulled over. The officer had stated that this young man looks like a robbery suspect because of the "wide set-nose"! Sorry, but nothing makes any sense here to justify the officers actions.

http://gawker.com/cop-on-apparent-police-scanner-audio-said-philando-cast-1783339741
    Not many if any at all especially if not asked by an officer. I have been stopped by police for speeding here FL and the officer asked if I had any weapons in my car. I was caught off guard by the question but told him no I do not have any weapons. Oddly he didn't ask if I was drinking I would've told him no as well. He let me go without a ticket even though I was 10 miles over the speed limit. I had no idea what the speed limit was on that section of the road I was on.

Again the young man appeared to be honest in that he had a legal license to carry and no apparent fear at the time to inform the officer that he was carrying a weapon. Once he has done so it puts that officer on high alert for any actions by a seat belted driver.

Peace

• Options
    I agree with diginin, and to me, it doesn't matter one way or the other in terms of the Minnesota shooting anyhow. No cop should EVER be shooting a man who is sitting in his car with the door closed while his child is in the backseat unless the man in the car pulled a gun on him, and I think it is very clear already that no gun was pulled on that cop. The ONLY time cops should be shooting anyone is when their safety is directly threatened (and staying safe does not, IMO, mean trying to avoid getting a scraped knee. It means that death or real injury is a realistic concern). A man sitting in his parked car with the door closed does not and cannot present that kind of threat to an office who is standing at the window of the car pointing a gun at the suspect.