Options

Olympics in Rio

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    I'm glad I didn't go swimming last November in Rio now. Disgusting.

I feel like the Olympic Committee members should be sued by the Olympians for gross negligence. They wouldn't win but perhaps in order to qualify for an Olympics the sewage problem is fixed at the time the application is made. If Rio hadn't fixed the sewage problem prior to the Olympics why expect that they could do it for the Olympics?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,606
    edited July 2016

I'm glad I didn't go swimming last November in Rio now. Disgusting.

I feel like the Olympic Committee members should be sued by the Olympians for gross negligence. They wouldn't win but perhaps in order to qualify for an Olympics the sewage problem is fixed at the time the application is made. If Rio hadn't fixed the sewage problem prior to the Olympics why expect that they could do it for the Olympics?

I totally agree. They should at least demand that the work and funding required is negotiated and signed off on - a done deal - before winning the bid.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Rio rocks!

Telling the truth can be dangerous. Imagine the country without the international microscope looming over top of it!

This entire event is becoming a debacle of epic proportions.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Sounds like a fun place to be if your an Olympian and your sport entails you coming in contact with that fecal infested water ... I'd skip the Olympics ... I won't be watching myself.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
  • Options
    Jason P said:

So now they're dealing with these too? Gawddamn.
  • Options
    I looked to see what sports the poop river would affect and usually stuff I don't watch.

Did you know BMX bike riding is an Olympic sport??? I look forward to when ultimate frisbee and dodge ball make the cut!
  • Options
    I saw a bunch of nude guys playing ultimate frisbee at Wreck Beach in Vancouver when I was at university. I can't help but think of that horrifying image every time I hear the sport mentioned.

One of the guys came up to me and my friends- wearing only a tshirt with his dork dangling about- and asked if we were up for a game. We politely refused saying we were just going to relax.

"No problem, man. If you change your minds... we're just over there!" said the half naked man enthusiastically as he bounded up... shlong flipping and flopping away.

Eesh.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Jason P said:

I looked to see what sports the poop river would affect and usually stuff I don't watch.

Did you know BMX bike riding is an Olympic sport??? I look forward to when ultimate frisbee and dodge ball make the cut!

BMX-cross has been in since 2008, and it is extremely entertaining and competitive (and dangerous). And skateboarding (like Tony Hawk stuff) will very likely be added for 2020. We'll find out for sure in an announcement at the Olympics, I guess during the closing ceremony or something.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P said:

How about frisbee golf? Trampolines now an Olympic sport, hey that was our only gold medal from London ... hahaha. Glad we are solid winter Olympians.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    I don't understand why any of you have a problem with any of these sports being in the Olympics.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't understand why any of you have a problem with any of these sports being in the Olympics.

Nor I, there is an enormous amount of skill and training involved in BMX and skateboarding. I consider them far more worthy of being called sports than golf, for example
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=zl-sVHRtOgU

this great athlete,,which is clean..which breaked every world record in her carrer,and this would be her last games. in rio...she cant take part..cos some others from her country are dirty athletes
    its a fuckin shame..

Isinbayeva? Are you serious? This is the same women, who when some athletes chose to use rainbow colours to show their support for gay athletes in light of Russian legislation said of those athletes

"It's disrespectful to our country, disrespectful to our citizens because we are Russians."

I have no sympathy for her.

I also have many suspicions, as a huge athletics fan, about an athlete who was completely dominant from 2004-2009 and then suddenly stopped breaking records and became suspiciously average, more or less dropping off the map.
    i dont judge athletes from their political agenda..or opinions about anything..
    as an athlete is clean and they dont let her take part at the games..its not fair
    and thats what the court and justice is for..not put people behind bars cos "have many suspicions"..but needs evidence
    she is the number 1 athlete of all times in Pole vault
    But we can't trust any tests done on Russian athletes so how can we possibly say she's clean?
    thats IAAF problerm,not the athlete to solve!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BMX biking is for the Xgames, brah

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    PJ_Soul said:

Glad they decided against a blanket ban of Russian athletes. The olympics would have kind of sucked without their participation IMO.

You mean like the 1984 Olympics sucked without them? ;)

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Glad they decided against a blanket ban of Russian athletes. The olympics would have kind of sucked without their participation IMO.

You mean like the 1984 Olympics sucked without them? ;)

Yes indeed.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,910
    The Rio de Janeiro Olympics have still yet to commence, but we may already have a candidate for the most bizarre story to come out of Brazil.

According to reports, Chinese 100m hurdler Shi Dongpeng and his cameraman were robbed shortly after they arrived in Rio by a man who caught them off guard by pretending to be heavily intoxicated.

The International Sport Press Association reports that as Shi and his cameraman checked into their Rio hotel on Monday night, a man who appeared to be drunk rushed over to them and vomited on the hurdler. Shi then went to clean up and the cameraman went to catch the man. By the time they returned, the cameraman’s equipment had completely vanished.

Security footage revealed that the alleged drunk was just a decoy used to distract Shi and his cameraman while another man swiped their belongings.

Safety has been a major issue surrounding the Rio Olympics. Saturday, the Wall Street Journal reported that police will take over security for the games after the private firm contracted for the job failed to provide enough staff.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Jaysus, the whole thing is a joke. How about we restrict major championships to countries which aren't still struggling with basic law and order and sanitation. I don't mean any offence to the Brazilian people and really, it's them I'm thinking of. I think they'd sooner see their country get its shit together (no pun intended) than host the Olympics and shine a spotlight on the worst aspects of their home
  • Options
    This thing with the cops taking over the contracted security forces is very worrying. I mean, an Olympic security forces needs to train for all situations specific to the games and stuff. The police aren't at all prepared to do this. Plus, how will they stretch their force like that?? Sounds like a perfect time for criminals to commit crimes, while the entire police force is distracted!
  • Options
    14 zika cases in Florida, so the global spread of the disease via Rio is very real disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited August 2016
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Nice post.
  • Options
    The International Olympic Committee voted today to add five events (really six because baseball and softball are different sports, just not to the IOC) to the summer Olympic slate, beginning in Tokyo in 2020. Baseball, softball, karate, skateboard, sports climbing, and surfing will all take their place at the Olympics.

The IOC should rent some old VHS tapes of American Gladiators for new sport ideas!
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,910
    wow that's insane!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Jason P said:

The International Olympic Committee voted today to add five events (really six because baseball and softball are different sports, just not to the IOC) to the summer Olympic slate, beginning in Tokyo in 2020. Baseball, softball, karate, skateboard, sports climbing, and surfing will all take their place at the Olympics.

The IOC should rent some old VHS tapes of American Gladiators for new sport ideas!

I would love to see an obstacle course event!
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    OTL would have been a great Olympic sport but they would not agree to change team names to something more viewer friendly....if you've never been to an OTL tournament it's really a blast !

Godfather.
  • Options

OTL would have been a great Olympic sport but they would not agree to change team names to something more viewer friendly....if you've never been to an OTL tournament it's really a blast !

Godfather.

What's OTL?