Options

Olympics in Rio

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    I felt completely safe in Rio last November even walking around on my own in the evening. It may have been a false sense of security but nonetheless I didn't feel like my life was on the line. With that said I would stick to the tourist areas and walk in groups.

But...the dirty water, potential dangerous/unfinished event structures, etc... is another story and certainly somewhat unique to RIo versus other cities wanting the Olympics.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    We Now have Super-Bacteria in the Rio water
    This is it folks. This is how we all die.
    People from all over the world go to 1 place for 2 weeks and all return to every little corner of the earth with some sort of viral disease.
    Maybe I watch too many films.......

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-07-05/rio-olympics-facing-a-new-problem-super-bacteria?src=usn_fb

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    g under p said:

People from all over the world go to 1 place for 2 weeks and all return to every little corner of the earth with some sort of viral disease.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-07-05/rio-olympics-facing-a-new-problem-super-bacteria?src=usn_fb

Peace</blockquote

good grief ! somebody should slap the shit outta the Olympic committee or who ever accepted Rio's bid to hold the games, what a shithole !

Godfather.

• Options

g under p said:

Peace

Well like the old saying money, money talks enough of it did, therefore Rio gets the bid.

Eventually in the future like the NFL, cities around the world should be on a rotation to be chosen to host these games. The IOC Set up a fund to maintain the sites to somehow lower the costs to host and secure the games.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

g under p said:

Peace

Well like the old saying money, money talks enough of it did, therefore Rio gets the bid.

Eventually in the future like the NFL, cities around the world should be on a rotation to be chosen to host these games. The IOC Set up a fund to maintain the sites to somehow lower the costs to host and secure the games.

Peace
    wow ! cool news, something needs to be done.

Godfather.

• Options

g under p said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace
    wow ! cool news, something needs to be done.

Godfather.

Now let's get this straight that's just an idea of mine that I hope the IOC would try to implement someday going forward. Cities around the world just don't have the money to host these games then once they do most of the venues are then torn down.....this concept just doesn't make sense to me.

Peace

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    g under p said:

Peace

I don't know if that will happen because of the Rio Olympics, but I do believe that this kind of things is most likely to wipe out a large portion of humankind at some point. If not now, someday.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mcgruff10 said:

its the same dangerous as every big,crowded city in the world..diodn t feel unsafe more than any other place i visit..
    the only city in brazil is kinda scary of the ones i visit..was porto alegre...

I think this is definitely different than lots of other big cities. No way a gang is going to go on the beach/major tourist area in the USA, Canada or Europe and rob 50 people in broad day light .
    Sure..but no way in brazil a student go with guns and granades at school and kill 10 -20 teachers and students like happens in america
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

its the same dangerous as every big,crowded city in the world..diodn t feel unsafe more than any other place i visit..

I think this is definitely different than lots of other big cities. No way a gang is going to go on the beach/major tourist area in the USA, Canada or Europe and rob 50 people in broad day light .
    Sure..but no way in brazil a student go with guns and granades at school and kill 10 -20 teachers and students like happens in america
    True, but that kind of thing doesn't impact tourists.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Well..nice france..is a tourist area
    There is no safe place anywhere
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Fuck, I was a tourist in Nice, late 80s. A city of beautiful people, environment, food!

We're all exposed, no matter where.

Pretty sure my city is somewhere on the list.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,560
    edited July 2016
    This is sure to make Muskydan crazy.....

The Black Lives Matter Movement Is Heading To The Rio Olympics

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5786f996e4b08608d332f81f?google_editors_picks=true
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    polaris_x said:

the olympics are a fraud ... like everything else it has been corrupted by greed ...

^^^^ this.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I know several Olympic athletes. They speak to the event with reverence.

Yes... corporations have dug their fangs into it and at times the IOC has acted questionably among other items, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the Olympics.

At the core of these events are our world's greatest athletes on the world's greatest stage: a really nice break from shitheads mowing down innocent people or blowhard idiots appealing to idiots and running for president of the most powerful country in the world.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I love the Olympics from a viewers perspective. I watch practically everything. It's what I do for 2 weeks, lol. I am not ashamed to admit that. It is very entertaining to watch, and all the profiles about the athletes and everything, so much variety ... high TV drama, haha. I fucking love it.

I have also known several Olympic athletes... TBH, most of them are total assholes. :lol: They tend to be really self-centered. I suppose you need to be to spend all that time and energy on just being "the best". But I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to spend time with most Olympians, lol. That said, yes, of course, they are earnest about the competition. Despite all the political (and criminal) crap that is intertwined with the games, it is still true sport, true competition, and I can appreciate that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    keep your eye on the BMX race the American team is a group of very cool people, I know them very well along with a bunch of others from other countries.

Godfather.
  • Options
    what amuses me, and I use that term loosely is that golf is an olympic sport... GOLF!! ffs... I thought tennis being included was bad enough...

I cant remember the last time I watched an olympic event... though id go out on a limb and suggest it was perhaps the closing ceremony of the 2000 Olympics.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    golf.....it like watching grass grow.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I enjoy watching the US kick the crap out of the rest of the world every 2 years! We are even daring everyone by resting our NBA best players this year.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I enjoy watching the US kick the crap out of the rest of the world every 2 years! We are even daring everyone by resting our NBA best players this year.

last time u lost,,was from Greece!!1
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450

Jason P said:

That was almost 10 years ago.

• Options
    cutz said:

Jason P said:

Yep..and will never happen again!!proud my team was the last won usa!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    edited July 2016

what amuses me, and I use that term loosely is that golf is an olympic sport... GOLF!! ffs... I thought tennis being included was bad enough...

I cant remember the last time I watched an olympic event... though id go out on a limb and suggest it was perhaps the closing ceremony of the 2000 Olympics.

Tennis is a sport. You don't see fat old men playing tennis into their 50's like in golf. You need amazing footwork, hand eye coordination, conditioning, mental toughness, talent, etc... to succeed in professional tennis. If you don't think tennis is a sport then neither are some gymnastics or swimming events. A lot of the winter events like luge or bobsled wouldn't qualify either then. Freestyle swimming for 100 meters is a sport but a 3 hour marathon tennis match isn't?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Tennis is a sport. You don't see fat old men playing tennis into their 50's like in golf. You need amazing footwork, hand eye coordination, conditioning, mental toughness, talent, etc... to succeed in professional tennis. If you don't think tennis is a sport then neither are some gymnastics or swimming events. A lot of the winter events like luge or bobsled wouldn't qualify either then. Freestyle swimming for 100 meters is a sport but a 3 hour marathon tennis match isn't?
    With you on tennis.

But yeah, golf as part of the Olympics? On a par (no pun intended) with curling =)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    cutz said:

Jason P said:

Doesn't matter Jim - Canadians are still jacked up about the Canada-Russia hockey Summit Series, and that was in 1972. :lol:;)
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

People going on vacation usually won't stop going because of possible random acts of violence...otherwise we may never leave home. But places like Brazil does lose tourist because of disease and perceived lack of cleanliness.

As an example I know a couple who love travelling in the US, but would never consider Mexico because of the drinking water.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    PJ_Soul said:

cutz said:

Jason P said:

Doesn't matter Jim - Canadians are still jacked up about the Canada-Russia hockey Summit Series, and that was in 1972. :lol:;)
    Never a truer statement ... however I think the 2014 oylympics demonstrated how we can be totally dominate when well coached, well prepared and when 25 payers buy into a system. The team defence the 2014 Olympic hockey team demonstrated was outstanding. And it's unfortunate that the NHL likely will not participate in the next Olympics.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I'm not debating whether or not tennis is a sport. nor am I debating whether or not golf is a sport. I'm questioning their inclusion in the Olympics.

Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    For me...

Olympic sports need to be accessible to all people. I love golf, but I'm only being honest when I say golf is for the privileged. Tennis is even more 'elitist'.

There are other sports as well, but running, jumping, and throwing are the purest sports.
    "My brain's a good brain!"