Options

Olympics in Rio

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

lukin2006 said:

agreed ... i don't think this athlete has ever tested positive, just refused this one test on advice she received and the judo federation back her up ... that also doesn't mean an athlete is not cheating, just not caught ... i'll give her the benefit of the doubt in this case.

same was so many russian athletes!!they didnt find them dirty..!!!

there are double standards here,,thery treat different russinaq athletes
    What you gonna do, decisions have been made, no point getting riled up now ... games will be over soon, enjoy them.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,677
    lukin2006 said:

The pool is probably algae ... We get algae blooms in the lake Erie every summer...if it is algae, this should be an embarrassment.

Officials seem to have confirmed that it is indeed an algae bloom, and yes, that is super embarrassing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

agreed ... i don't think this athlete has ever tested positive, just refused this one test on advice she received and the judo federation back her up ... that also doesn't mean an athlete is not cheating, just not caught ... i'll give her the benefit of the doubt in this case.

These are two completely separate issues. I see absolutely no relation between the Russian thing and this thing with the athlete from Kosovo. I don't think one's familiarity with Kosovo is the least bit relevant here. What's relevant is the position of the French and the International Judo Association and dope testing protocol, as well as the doping initiatives in the Russian Olympic Athletics program. I assume that probably none of us are super familiar with any of those things, and can all equally rely on the facts available and our own reasoning skills.
    Anyway, besides being mad about this, hope you're well Dimitris! ;)
    Thank you, as ever, for being a voice of reason!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    g under p said:

Here's an intersting breakdown of Olympic costs and revenues over the decades...just take a look at the cost of the Olympics in LA 1984 I wonder why it was so cheap.....

http://kfor.com/2016/08/04/from-broadcasting-to-tickets-how-the-olympics-make-money-in-10-charts/

And here is a breakdown from the Olympics official site... https://www.olympic.org/ioc-financing-revenue-sources-distribution

This says 10% goes to the IOC, while the remaining is divided among the National OC and other related organizations.

The benefit to the host nation is through tourism and being in the national spotlight. Some nations seem to do this well (China, Canada) while others are less successful.

Peace

The 1984 L.A. games were very profitable because they used mostly all existing venues & housing. As I recall, the only venues built were a swim stadium, which is still used for USC swimming, as well as a velodrome, which was torn-down a few years ago. The velodrome was used as a concert venue, including Lollapalooza in 1994 ( 2nd stage).
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314
    edited August 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

These are two completely separate issues. I see absolutely no relation between the Russian thing and this thing with the athlete from Kosovo. I don't think one's familiarity with Kosovo is the least bit relevant here. What's relevant is the position of the French and the International Judo Association and dope testing protocol, as well as the doping initiatives in the Russian Olympic Athletics program. I assume that probably none of us are super familiar with any of those things, and can all equally rely on the facts available and our own reasoning skills.
    again,,dirty are the athletes get caught..if an athlete id clean has the righht to be on the games..not get ban cos his country or their thier track officials are not clean.,.check all athlretes,individual..
    the best athlete of all times on paul vault cant take part of the games cos she is Russian..and for no other reason..
    its cos she wear russian flag and for any other reason has to do with dopping

and yep,,im well!!cant wait.,.in 6 days fly to chicago for wrigley shows..would love to have a drink with u like the other time,,but im guessing from your post,u are not coming,right?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

What you gonna do, decisions have been made, no point getting riled up now ... games will be over soon, enjoy them.
    yeah,,im not ghonna lose my sleep,,we just javing a conversation!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

again,,dirty are the athletes get caught..if an athlete id clean has the righht to be on the games..not get ban cos his country or their thier track officials are not clean.,.check all athlretes,individual..
    the best athlete of all times on paul vault cant take part of the games cos she is Russian..and for no other reason..

and yep,,im well!!cant wait.,.in 6 days fly to chicago for wrigley shows..would love to have a drink with u like the other time,,but im guessing from your post,u are not coming,right?
    Wait, not all Russians have been banned. Only the Russians who have actually been caught doping in the past have been prevented from competing in the Games (and even a few of them have been allowed to slip into the events for some fucked up reason, which is what I think is the real scandal in this whole thing). This pole vaulter you mention must have doped and been caught doing it at some point during her athletic career to have been banned.

No, I'm not coming to Chicago this time. I wish!! I just can't afford it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Wait, not all Russians have been banned. Only the Russians who have actually been caught doping in the past have been prevented from competing in the Games (and even a few of them have been allowed to slip into the events for some fucked up reason, which is what I think is the real scandal in this whole thing). This pole vaulter you mention must have doped and been caught doing it at some point during her athletic career to have been banned.

No, I'm not coming to Chicago this time. I wish!! I just can't afford it.
    they ban all athletics,track team,not the ones get caught..all team

and bummer,,wish i copuld see u again
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,397
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    1 gold & 1 bronze medal so far for HELLAS

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    That Katie Ledecky is a beast. I don't know if anyone has ever won a swimming event by 11 seconds. That is insane. She owns the 13 fastest times in the 800. Oh, and she's only 19. Michael Phelps probably isn't going to hold the title of greatest Olympian ever for long.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
  • Options

That Katie Ledecky is a beast. I don't know if anyone has ever won a swimming event by 11 seconds. That is insane. She owns the 13 fastest times in the 800. Oh, and she's only 19. Michael Phelps probably isn't going to hold the title of greatest Olympian ever for long.

a little early to make that declaration i would say...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    edited August 2016
    What a game! It took 2 extra-time periods to have a winner! Kudos to both teams! Nice basketball! :clap:
  • Options

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Probably so. Women athletes don't age as well as male athletes for a number of reasons. But she is definitely having one of the best runs in Olympics history.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

Probably so. Women athletes don't age as well as male athletes for a number of reasons. But she is definitely having one of the best runs in Olympics history.
    She is having a great run. And she destroyed the field in the 800. I just wonder if she has 2 more Olympics in her or maybe 3 to accomplish what Phelps has...time will tell.

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

lukin2006 said:

Ahem, Dara Torres doesn't ring a bell? Eat your words.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    Free said:

lukin2006 said:

Dara Torres was a freak of nature but he's right, women tend to peak earlier than men in swimming.
  • Options
    Free said:

lukin2006 said:

I didn't say all,of them.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Ryan Lochte and other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio. O_o He's lucky he didn't get his brains blown out!

http://ti.me/2aW0Dq0
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Ryan Lochte and other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio. O_o He's lucky he didn't get his brains blown out!

Insane. Very lucky indeed.

***fixed***
    Post edited by Degeneratefk on
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Brian Lochte and other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio. O_o He's lucky he didn't get his brains blown out!

Insane. Very lucky indeed.
    Damn, you quoted before I saw that his name autocorrected to Brian. Ryan. :)
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,706
    PJ_Soul said:

(Insert your own joke about brains and Ryan Lochte)
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,706

How many events does she compete in? It seems like there's fewer long distance races and more shorter ones. It was like Phelps was in the pool three times a day.
  • Options

How many events does she compete in? It seems like there's fewer long distance races and more shorter ones. It was like Phelps was in the pool three times a day.

lukin2006 said:

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    It has been a good day for athletics :smile: Well, as long as Van Niekerk is clean that is...
  • Options
    Watching the 10k open swim (I believe) ... do they get a medal for just entering that water...hahaha

• Options
    edited August 2016
    4 medals (2 gold, 1 silver & 1 bronze) so far for HELLAS

Post edited by Pap on