Options

Olympics in Rio

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited July 2016

For me...

Olympic sports need to be accessible to all people. I love golf, but I'm only being honest when I say golf is for the privileged. Tennis is even more 'elitist'.

There are other sports as well, but running, jumping, and throwing are the purest sports.

Well a lot of Olympic athletes are very privileged people. You get those stories about the ones who fought their way to success through hard times and stuff, but those are the special cases. A good number of Olympians are spoiled rich kids with huge egos, which is why they are able to just train as amateur athletes all day long for years on end instead of spending time working. Of course there is still a "normal" contingency, and then there are all the ones from the countries that invest tons of money in them - they basically work for the government. The Olympics are a strange thing really. But for me, it's just about good competition. I do care about the politics of the Olympics and those involved in staging them, but when it comes to the actual events I just care that it's the best competing with the best. Sports in and of themselves aren't political. It's not golf's fault that it attracts the rich crowd. That's just a culture that people (wealthy men who wanted exclusive private golf clubs) decided to grow around it. They were the only ones who could afford to build the golf courses i figure. It has nothing to do with actually playing golf. I agree it should be more accessible, but to be fair, there are still tons of cheap public golf courses that are accessible to people with little money. It's not wholly a rich person's sport. I know a lot of middle class people who play golf at least once in a while. They just don't do it at private courses.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    And how do we feel about the call to ban Russian athletes?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Its all political for.me
    Why a clean russian athlete dont be part of the games??he didnt do anything wrong..he must be at rio
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

Its all political for.me
    Why a clean russian athlete dont be part of the games??he didnt do anything wrong..he must be at rio
    Because at this point it's nearly impossible to believe or prove that any Russian athlete is clean. Also a clear message needs to be sent that it is not acceptable for the Russian government and the FSB to conspire in an organised operation to supply athletes with clean samples
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I gave up on the Olympics when they tried to eliminate one of the original Greek competitions, wrestling.
    Running, jumping, throwing, and grappling!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

cheaters, cheaters, pumpkin eaters
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    rgambs said:

I gave up on the Olympics when they tried to eliminate one of the original Greek competitions, wrestling.

I thought that was such a stupid move by the Olympic committee. It's all about TV rating and wrestling didn't draw television viewers. But there is by no better way to prove yourself over another human than by grappling.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    edited July 2016

rgambs said:

I thought that was such a stupid move by the Olympic committee. It's all about TV rating and wrestling didn't draw television viewers. But there is by no better way to prove yourself over another human than by grappling.
    If we had sent The Rock and John Cena instead of a bunch of college dudes, it would still be an event.

Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options

Its all political for.me
    Because at this point it's nearly impossible to believe or prove that any Russian athlete is clean. Also a clear message needs to be sent that it is not acceptable for the Russian government and the FSB to conspire in an organised operation to supply athletes with clean samples
    if someone pass the test is clean..its not his fault..u cant panish all cops of someone mistake
    for some great athletes this would be the last time to be part of the games,isnt fair
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
    Jason P said:

If we had sent The Rock and John Cena instead of a bunch of college dudes, it would still be an event.

That would be awesome... and Mexico should send some masked lucha libre wrestlers... Now that's an plympic event I would watch ;)
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

Its all political for.me
    if someone pass the test is clean..its not his fault..u cant panish all cops of someone mistake
    for some great athletes this would be the last time to be part of the games,isnt fair
    Ehh the whole problem is that all those dirty athletes did pass the bloody tests because the Russian government helped them cheat! We can't trust the tests! How are we to tell the innocent athletes from the guilty?
  • Options

Its all political for.me
    Ehh the whole problem is that all those dirty athletes did pass the bloody tests because the Russian government helped them cheat! We can't trust the tests! How are we to tell the innocent athletes from the guilty?
    thats IAAF problem to solve and do tests..the clean athletes get punish for no reason
    is like i catch someone from your country to rob a bank and then i say all irish are thiefs
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Hers's an idea ... the olympics time has come and gone. Is it a good idea for poor countries to be bidding on Olympics when they do not even have proper sanitation practices as just one example? Its not ... the Olympics are a joke. And yes Russia athletes should be suspended, maybe they did not go far enough ... should have suspended the entire from Rio and the 2018 winter Olympics until proven that they are conducting themselves in accordance with all governing bodies standards.

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    edited July 2016

rgambs said:

But wrestling is back in the Olympics. Maybe you're mad about the IOC trying to pull that, but people involved in the sport often maintain that this challenge and the changes it fueled improved the sport in the long run. It forced needed change apparently.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Hers's an idea ... the olympics time has come and gone. Is it a good idea for poor countries to be bidding on Olympics when they do not even have proper sanitation practices as just one example? Its not ... the Olympics are a joke. And yes Russia athletes should be suspended, maybe they did not go far enough ... should have suspended the entire from Rio and the 2018 winter Olympics until proven that they are conducting themselves in accordance with all governing bodies standards.

The Olympics are okay for places that can afford it. They are a gamble for sure, but they can bring good things to a city. That all depends on how well the city handles it. But I agree that it shouldn't be in places that struggle with the kinds of issues that Rio struggles with.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

But wrestling is back in the Olympics. Maybe you're mad about the IOC trying to pull that, but people involved in the sport often maintain that this challenge and the changes it fueled improved the sport in the long run. It forced needed change apparently.
    I don't really know what you're referring to.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/wrestling/story/_/id/15185329/2016-us-olympic-wrestling-trials-why-threat-losing-wrestling-olympics-helped-saved-sport
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/wrestling/story/_/id/15185329/2016-us-olympic-wrestling-trials-why-threat-losing-wrestling-olympics-helped-saved-sport
    I thought you meant there were rule changes or something like that. Sounds like they found more stable leadership.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

I thought you meant there were rule changes or something like that. Sounds like they found more stable leadership.
    Yes. But I did also read that there were a few changes just for Olympic competition. Something about the weight categories and stuff like that (I might remember that one weight category was eliminated?). I don't even like wrestling so didn't pay too much attention. I will say, though, that Olympic wrestlers seem to be pretty down to Earth compared to a lot of Olympians. I've known several Olympic wrestlers, and they were all humble types.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    lukin2006 said:

Here is an even better idea: Host it in the same place each year. (L.A. and Vancouver)
  • Options
    Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

Here is an even better idea: Host it in the same place each year. (Salt Lake and L.A.)
    Not a bad idea to just start repeating the locations where the infrastructure is already built, but your suggested locations would make them American Olympic Games? There are nicer places with better facilities than either of those locations. I think maybe rotating through a group of past Olympic cities that still have the required infrastructure would be alright (and it would spread the wealth around - economically, it wouldn't be fair to have the in the same place every time).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

Here is an even better idea: Host it in the same place each year. (Salt Lake and L.A.)
    Not a bad idea to just start repeating the locations where the infrastructure is already built, but your suggested locations would make them American Olympic Games? There are nicer places with better facilities than either of those locations. I think maybe rotating through a group of past Olympic cities that still have the required infrastructure would be alright (and it would spread the wealth around - economically, it wouldn't be fair to have the in the same place every time).
    The cities would need to be big enough that local sports keep facilities up to date and have professional arenas.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

I suggested something like this a few pages ago.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

Here is an even better idea: Host it in the same place each year. (L.A. and Vancouver)
    That would work..
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

The cities would need to be big enough that local sports keep facilities up to date and have professional arenas.
    Right. They would still have to have the required infrastructure. I doubt any city that hasn't hosted the Olympics before could do it, and only some of the ex-hosts could, since some of them have demolished or re-purposed some of the facilities they did build, and others just did it too long ago. It would probably have to be hosts from within the past 25 years at most. So it would be a small pool of hosts. Anyway, this is just basically storytelling. There is no way they would do this. ;)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    No to L.A., thank you very much :angry:

This city was vastly different (and less congested) when the Olympics were held here 32 years ago.

We did our piece...find somewhere else, please!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    hedonist said:

No to L.A., thank you very much :angry:

This city was vastly different (and less congested) when the Olympics were held here 32 years ago.

We did our piece...find somewhere else, please!

The 2010 Olympics didn't do that to Vancouver, but Expo '86 sure did. The city hasn't been the same since, and not in a good way. :frowning: But anyway, I mentioned that any host that did it more than 25 years probably couldn't do it anyhow because the infrastructure is too outdated or not even there anymore.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited July 2016
    >
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

Right. They would still have to have the required infrastructure. I doubt any city that hasn't hosted the Olympics before could do it, and only some of the ex-hosts could, since some of them have demolished or re-purposed some of the facilities they did build, and others just did it too long ago. It would probably have to be hosts from within the past 25 years at most. So it would be a small pool of hosts. Anyway, this is just basically storytelling. There is no way they would do this. ;)
    Sydney could do it. We'd have to build an athletes village but everything else is good to go.

Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

>

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

lukin2006 said:

Sydney could do it. We'd have to build an athletes village but everything else is good to go.

Oh yeah, good point about the athletes villages. They are usually turned into permanent housing, no? I know that's what they did with the Vancouver athletes village. Solution for coastal cities: house the athletes on cruise ships.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited July 2016
    The drug testing issue in sports has become a lot like the technology / file sharing debates...hard to think we'll ever be able to stay in front of those who want to cheat.
    Remember the classic snl 'all steroid olympics' skit? Basically where sports are headed....