Options

Olympics in Rio

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,607
    I don't agree with just barring all Russian athletes. Seems lazy and too controversial. They should just ban anyone who has ever tested positive and really go hard with the testing in Rio.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I am radical, I think they should just eliminate doping laws altogether and let the athletes dope up. Fuck it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    rgambs said:

I am radical, I think they should just eliminate doping laws altogether and let the athletes dope up. Fuck it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4090
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ^^^ That is a fucked up story, though not surprising. As far as I've read, stuff like that isn't uncommon in several South American countries. It certainly serves as a good warning to anyone going down there though. I would say that it's reasonable for people to take precautions, like travel in groups whenever possible - the bigger the group the better - and don't trust anyone, including cops (not that this particular person did trust those people). Sucks that these things have to be considered.

Glad they decided against a blanket ban of Russian athletes. The olympics would have kind of sucked without their participation IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    That is brutal, though let's remember that basically the same thing happened in Sochi and they managed to get the athletes accommodations livable before the games started. Lets hope they can do the same in Rio, because I don't see how there would be enough room for both athletes and tourists in the hotels. The hotels will all be totally booked up by tourists during the actual games. If it really comes to it, they could bring in a cruise ship to house the athletes.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:
    That is brutal, though let's remember that basically the same thing happened in Sochi and they managed to get the athletes accommodations livable before the games started. Lets hope they can do the same in Rio, because I don't see how there would be enough room for both athletes and tourists in the hotels. The hotels will all be totally booked up by tourists during the actual games. If it really comes to it, they could bring in a cruise ship to house the athletes.
    very very true my dear. But doesn't this seem worse than Sochi? Did you see the "Kangaroo" quote? lol

Rio de Janeiro's mayor has hopped to the defense of the athletes' accommodations in the Olympic Village after the Australian Olympic Committee deemed the quarters "uninhabitable."

"I almost feel like putting a kangaroo in front of their building to make them feel at home," Mayor Eduardo Paes joked Sunday (via the Sydney Morning Herald).

Duly noted, as well as the lack of laughter from the Aussies, inside two weeks to the Rio Games' opening ceremony.

In fact, AOC spokesman Mike Tancred wryly noted that plumbers would be more useful than kangaroos, according to local media.

Among the problems outlined by the AOC: serious electrical and sanitary problems, including blocked toilets, exposed wiring and water running down the walls in some apartments during a so-called "stress test" of the facilities.

"For over a week now, AOC staff have been working long hours to get our section of the village ready for our athletes," AOC chef de mission Kitty Chiller told the Herald, noting that the first Australian athletes should've entered the village July 21, adding, "We decided to do a 'stress test' where taps and toilets were simultaneously turned on in apartments on several floors to see if the system could cope once the athletes are in-house.

"The system failed. Water came down walls, there was a strong smell of gas in some apartments and there was shorting in the electrical wiring."

The AOC scrambled to find alternative hotel accommodations for boxers and canoeists, the first Australian athletes to arrive.

Paes said the Australian team's concerns would be addressed and adjustments made, though Brazilian media also quoted him as saying Rio's Olympic Village was nicer than Sydney's in 2000.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The Kangaroo comment is indeed outrageous and rather offensive in its dismissiveness, and reports of the smell of gas are particularly unsettling. But IF they can get some damn plumbers in, then 11 days should be enough time to deal with these problems as long as they are problems that can be fixed, as opposed to ones that require a total start-over. They just need to find GOOD plumbers instead of the cheapest (and on such short notice, good plumbers would probably cost a lot). I can't say I have much faith in them doing that, but you never know. Sounds like they didn't follow proper code.... Surely Brazil has laws about that?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    PJ_Soul said:

Sounds like they either didn't follow proper code.... Surely Brazil has laws about that?

Yeah, Brazil is a modern day beacon for building codes and enforcement ...

• Options
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sounds like they either didn't follow proper code.... Surely Brazil has laws about that?

lol lol. awesome!!!
  • Options
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't know what their laws are at all, or what's going on so that shit like that exists, but I would have thought that they would have at least enforced standards when it comes to Olympics-related building. Wasn't the IOC monitoring that kind of thing??
  • Options
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

If you Google 'sheer awesomeness' ... you get this image lol.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,452

cutz said:

Jason P said:

I enjoy watching the US kick the crap out of the rest of the world every 2 years! We are even daring everyone by resting our NBA best players this year.

last time u lost,,was from Greece!!1
    That was almost 10 years ago.

Yep..and will never happen again!!proud my team was the last won usa!!
    Never say never, because you never know, it could happen again. U.S.A. doesn't have ther best team at this year's Olympics. Though, they will still be Gold Medal favs.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,452
    PJ_Soul said:

cutz said:

Jason P said:

I enjoy watching the US kick the crap out of the rest of the world every 2 years! We are even daring everyone by resting our NBA best players this year.

last time u lost,,was from Greece!!1
    That was almost 10 years ago.

Doesn't matter Jim - Canadians are still jacked up about the Canada-Russia hockey Summit Series, and that was in 1972. :lol:;)
    HAHAHA>I believe it Alli.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't know what their laws are at all, or what's going on so that shit like that exists, but I would have thought that they would have at least enforced standards when it comes to Olympics-related building. Wasn't the IOC monitoring that kind of thing??
    Laws? How shall we way ... plata o plomo ...
  • Options
    This isn't directly tied to Rio, but does highlight potential dangers ... F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone's mother in law has reportedly been kidnapped in Sao Paulo and being held for ransom at $36.5M.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Jason P said:

This isn't directly tied to Rio, but does highlight potential dangers ... F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone's mother in law has reportedly been kidnapped in Sao Paulo and being held for ransom at $36.5M.

That's terrible. FYI, this happens on a regular basis down there. So much so that we never even see news about it. There are about 1000 financially motivated kidnappings in Brazil every year.
  • Options
  • Options
    freaking awesome:
    Report: Athletes at Rio Olympics 'will literally be swimming in human crap'
    The pollution in Rio's waters is worse than originally anticipated

http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/report-athletes-at-rio-olympics-will-literally-be-swimming-in-human-crap/

Seven years ago the Rio de Janeiro government promised to clean up the water before the 2016 Olympics.
    Not only did they fail to clean it up -- it has actually gotten worse.
    According to the New York Times, recent tests by government and independent scientists have found the city's waters to be full of diarrhea-causing rotaviruses and drug-resistant "super bacteria," among other pathogens.
    This is the same water in which Olympians will sail, windsurf and -- yes -- swim starting on Aug. 5.
    "Foreign athletes will literally be swimming in human crap, and they risk getting sick from all those microorganisms," local pediatrician Dr. Daniel Becker told the Times. "It's sad, but also worrisome."

The athletes aren't the only ones in danger, as visitors hoping to take a dip at places like famed Ipanema Beach are also at risk.
    While acknowledging that the city's water is filthy in many areas, government officials and the International Olympic Committee insist that the places where athletes will compete meet World Health Organization safety standards.
    Polluted water is just one of many issues surrounding the Rio Olympics as the opening ceremony nears, but the athletes are taking the water quality seriously.
    "It's disgusting," said Nigel Cochrane, a coach for Spain's women's sailing team. "We're very concerned."
  • Options
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=zl-sVHRtOgU

this great athlete,,which is clean..which breaked every world record in her carrer,and this would be her last games. in rio...she cant take part..cos some others from her country are dirty athletes
    its a fuckin shame..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    mcgruff10 said:

freaking awesome:
    Report: Athletes at Rio Olympics 'will literally be swimming in human crap'
    The pollution in Rio's waters is worse than originally anticipated

http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/report-athletes-at-rio-olympics-will-literally-be-swimming-in-human-crap/

Seven years ago the Rio de Janeiro government promised to clean up the water before the 2016 Olympics.
    Not only did they fail to clean it up -- it has actually gotten worse.
    According to the New York Times, recent tests by government and independent scientists have found the city's waters to be full of diarrhea-causing rotaviruses and drug-resistant "super bacteria," among other pathogens.
    This is the same water in which Olympians will sail, windsurf and -- yes -- swim starting on Aug. 5.
    "Foreign athletes will literally be swimming in human crap, and they risk getting sick from all those microorganisms," local pediatrician Dr. Daniel Becker told the Times. "It's sad, but also worrisome."

The athletes aren't the only ones in danger, as visitors hoping to take a dip at places like famed Ipanema Beach are also at risk.
    While acknowledging that the city's water is filthy in many areas, government officials and the International Olympic Committee insist that the places where athletes will compete meet World Health Organization safety standards.
    Polluted water is just one of many issues surrounding the Rio Olympics as the opening ceremony nears, but the athletes are taking the water quality seriously.
    "It's disgusting," said Nigel Cochrane, a coach for Spain's women's sailing team. "We're very concerned."

Real Sports on HBO did a story on this. I totally get why athletes aren't going now. holy fuck i didn't realize it was that bad. they literally have their shit go right into the water untreated. how can this be possible still in 2016?
  • Options

this great athlete,,which is clean..which breaked every world record in her carrer,and this would be her last games. in rio...she cant take part..cos some others from her country are dirty athletes
    its a fuckin shame..

Isinbayeva? Are you serious? This is the same women, who when some athletes chose to use rainbow colours to show their support for gay athletes in light of Russian legislation said of those athletes

"It's disrespectful to our country, disrespectful to our citizens because we are Russians."

I have no sympathy for her.

I also have many suspicions, as a huge athletics fan, about an athlete who was completely dominant from 2004-2009 and then suddenly stopped breaking records and became suspiciously average, more or less dropping off the map.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

its a fuckin shame..

Isinbayeva? Are you serious? This is the same women, who when some athletes chose to use rainbow colours to show their support for gay athletes in light of Russian legislation said of those athletes

"It's disrespectful to our country, disrespectful to our citizens because we are Russians."

I also have many suspicions, as a huge athletics fan, about an athlete who was completely dominant from 2004-2009 and then suddenly stopped breaking records and became suspiciously average, more or less dropping off the map.
    i dont judge athletes from their political agenda..or opinions about anything..
    as an athlete is clean and they dont let her take part at the games..its not fair
    and thats what the court and justice is for..not put people behind bars cos "have many suspicions"..but needs evidence
    she is the number 1 athlete of all times in Pole vault
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
  • Options

its a fuckin shame..

i dont judge athletes from their political agenda..or opinions about anything..
    as an athlete is clean and they dont let her take part at the games..its not fair
    and thats what the court and justice is for..not put people behind bars cos "have many suspicions"..but needs evidence
    she is the number 1 athlete of all times in Pole vault
    But we can't trust any tests done on Russian athletes so how can we possibly say she's clean?
  • Options
    I love this paragraph:

When Rio made its bid for the games back in 2009, Brazil pledged to spend $4 billion to clean up the water, but only ended up spending $170 million. Critics claim that most of what has actually been spent was wasted on cosmetic fixes, like trash-collecting boats that pick up larger items and dead bodies but do nothing to remove the potentially deadly microorganisms infesting the waters.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sad, disgusting and horrifying. Rio is a cesspool, figuratively and literally.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08