Options

Olympics in Rio

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Enkidu said:

I just read this article this morning about the Russian female swimmer - I saw the race last night with the American taunting her. It's an interesting article because it talks about both sides - the American being a little classless, but the Russian being a total doper. Read through to the end about how she'd been banned and wasn't even supposed to be at the Olympics and then she "showed up" on Saturday, 90 minutes before the race.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-oly-doping-plaschke-20160808-snap-story.html

Nothing classless in my eyes about King's reaction to allowing a cheater to swim. And King backed it up in the pool.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    jeffbr said:

Enkidu said:

I just read this article this morning about the Russian female swimmer - I saw the race last night with the American taunting her. It's an interesting article because it talks about both sides - the American being a little classless, but the Russian being a total doper. Read through to the end about how she'd been banned and wasn't even supposed to be at the Olympics and then she "showed up" on Saturday, 90 minutes before the race.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-oly-doping-plaschke-20160808-snap-story.html

Nothing classless in my eyes about King's reaction to allowing a cheater to swim. And King backed it up in the pool.
    agreed ... thats how you respond to a cheater...and rivalries make sport better
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    lukin2006 said:

jeffbr said:

Enkidu said:

agreed ... thats how you respond to a cheater...and rivalries make sport better
    +1
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    And the Canadian women did it again, bronze synchro diving. Time for the men to step up ... I kid.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    anyone refused to pass a test,,should be banned..end of story..
    if was a russian athlete,would be ban..thats all

2004 athens,they couldnbt find 2 greek athletes for test,.they didnt refuse..thney couldnt find them and they ban them!!
    they went the next day but it was late!!!

alot of u dont havwe a clue what politics agenda comes with kosovo,the war and whats goin oin atg balkans..

its all politics..nothing to dom withy dopping or shit..

u refuse test??ban..

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited August 2016

anyone refused to pass a test,,should be banned..end of story..
    if was a russian athlete,would be ban..thats all

2004 athens,they couldnbt find 2 greek athletes for test,.they didnt refuse..thney couldnt find them and they ban them!!
    they went the next day but it was late!!!

alot of u dont havwe a clue what politics agenda comes with kosovo,the war and whats goin oin atg balkans..

its all politics..nothing to dom withy dopping or shit..

u refuse test??ban..

Did you read the article I posted about it? It does explain it. She was advised not to because of those particular circumstances, and has done tests since. I'm not saying it's impossible that she and others refused in France because they were worried about testing positive, but that is a real blind assumption without some evidence and without any support from any official organization besides the one that is being accused of inappropriate methods. I think you ran with this one too quickly Dimitris.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Well its really non issue, she submitted a sample after winning gold in judo in the olympics...

• Options
    Yeah, this particular story is a non-issue. Although just because someone allows themselves to be tested at the Olympics it doesn't mean they don't dope. It just means that they know how not to test positive during a particular period of time.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited August 2016

how lame..after the kick out russians...
    a woman from kosovo won a medal..and ask for get tested and she refuse to give sample..and its all ok!!no pro..inocent!!1
    and u telling me russia ban,wasnt for political reason.,.but kosovo,that need to be a country for political ,reasons at balkans..is all good!1
    fuck that shit

Your information is innacurate I'm afraid and the situations were in no way comparable.

Also it's very presumptuous and somewhat insulting for you to say that a lot of us don't have a clue about the political situation in Europe
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
  • Options
    agreed ... i don't think this athlete has ever tested positive, just refused this one test on advice she received and the judo federation back her up ... that also doesn't mean an athlete is not cheating, just not caught ... i'll give her the benefit of the doubt in this case.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

agreed ... i don't think this athlete has ever tested positive, just refused this one test on advice she received and the judo federation back her up ... that also doesn't mean an athlete is not cheating, just not caught ... i'll give her the benefit of the doubt in this case.

Me too.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    edited August 2016
    I really enjoy watching Kerri Walsh-Jennings.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,133
    edited August 2016
    Here's an intersting breakdown of Olympic costs and revenues over the decades...just take a look at the cost of the Olympics in LA 1984 I wonder why it was so cheap.....

http://kfor.com/2016/08/04/from-broadcasting-to-tickets-how-the-olympics-make-money-in-10-charts/

And here is a breakdown from the Olympics official site... https://www.olympic.org/ioc-financing-revenue-sources-distribution

This says 10% goes to the IOC, while the remaining is divided among the National OC and other related organizations.

The benefit to the host nation is through tourism and being in the national spotlight. Some nations seem to do this well (China, Canada) while others are less successful.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Neither of those links seems to work. They seem to have been abbreviated (with the ....). Can you repost? I am interested in seeing what the breakdown is! :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Neither of those links seems to work. They seem to have been abbreviated (with the ....). Can you repost? I am interested in seeing what the breakdown is! :)

I hope this works....

http://kfor.com/2016/08/04/from-broadcasting-to-tickets-how-the-olympics-make-money-in-10-charts/

And here is a breakdown from the Olympics official site...

https://www.olympic.org/ioc-financing-revenue-sources-distribution

Peace

Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited August 2016
    g under p said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope this works....

And here is a breakdown from the Olympics official site...

https://www.olympic.org/ioc-financing-revenue-sources-distribution

Peace

Thanks!

.... WTF Sochi???? I wonder how much of that money went straight into the pockets of Putin and his cronies?

(oh, and way to go Vancouver, except for the fucking ticket prices. Jesus.)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Btw, each night while I'm watching, there is one common thought: where the fuck is everybody?? There are so many empty seats! Even at events that should be packed. Officials in Rio claimed that 80% of the tickets were sold by the first day of the games. I call bullshit. There is no way 80% were sold. Not unless people who bought them just aren't showing up. Even at events where Brazil is playing they aren't full. Just skipped through ANOTHER beach volleyball match, Canada vs Brazil, and I'd guess that 25% or the seats are empty. Despite all issues, I am still a bit surprised by the turnout. And it's pretty much across the board. Few exceptions.
    Apparentley ticket sales aren't a big revenue stream anyway, but still, it's kind of a downer to see the venues half empty.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Now I see why Montreal is still paying 40 years later ... 6 Billion in 76
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

Once again the U.S. of A. makes an example of all you dopers and candy asses! Know your role and shut your mouth!

(sincerely, Tim Duncan)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The diving pool has mysteriously turned really green (happened overnight). Various theories as to why. Probably fine (officials say it's safe). It's just weird.

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/9/12417804/rio-olympics-2016-pool-green

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Btw, each night while I'm watching, there is one common thought: where the fuck is everybody?? There are so many empty seats! Even at events that should be packed. Officials in Rio claimed that 80% of the tickets were sold by the first day of the games. I call bullshit. There is no way 80% were sold. Not unless people who bought them just aren't showing up. Even at events where Brazil is playing they aren't full. Just skipped through ANOTHER beach volleyball match, Canada vs Brazil, and I'd guess that 25% or the seats are empty. Despite all issues, I am still a bit surprised by the turnout. And it's pretty much across the board. Few exceptions.
    Apparentley ticket sales aren't a big revenue stream anyway, but still, it's kind of a downer to see the venues half empty.

PJS.....that's exactly the reason I started looking this stuff up as to where the money goes from ticket sales. I watched water polo or any other event and seeing many seats unoccupied was so dissappointing. I wanted to see them filled because I thought most of the money went to the Brazillian government monies they seem to desparately need. For some Olympics cities do well others not so well.....in Rio's case the constant bad news may have turned tourists and fans away. Also over on the RUSH board a Rio resident has bought tickets to various events and says the prices are not expensive at all and are readily available. He's taking his 3 year old daughter to as many as possible.

Peace

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The diving pool has mysteriously turned really green (happened overnight). Various theories as to why. Probably fine (officials say it's safe). It's just weird.

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/9/12417804/rio-olympics-2016-pool-green

Before reading when I saw the image I thought something was wrong with the computer screen or some lighting effect. Hey so far I must say the Rio Olympics has gone off better than I expected and my favorite event track and field has not started as yet.

Peace

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

same was so many russian athletes!!they didnt find them dirty..!!!

there are double standards here,,thery treat different russinaq athletes
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

a woman from kosovo won a medal..and ask for get tested and she refuse to give sample..and its all ok!!no pro..inocent!!1
    and u telling me russia ban,wasnt for political reason.,.but kosovo,that need to be a country for political ,reasons at balkans..is all good!1
    fuck that shit

Your information is innacurate I'm afraid and the situations were in no way comparable.

Also it's very presumptuous and somewhat insulting for you to say that a lot of us don't have a clue about the political situation in Europe
    ive been to kosovo war at peace force from greece..i have a way more clue whats going on in balkans,no need to mention i live in the area..
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited August 2016

fuck that shit

ive been to kosovo war at peace force from greece..i have a way more clue whats going on in balkans,no need to mention i live in the area..
    Saying you yourself know what's going on there is not the same as saying the rest of us are ignorant, which is what you implied. Anyway, you clearly have your position, with which I disagree, there is no point discussing it further
  • Options

fuck that shit

Saying you yourself know what's going on there is not the same as saying the rest of us are ignorant, which is what you implied. Anyway, you clearly have your position, with which I disagree, there is no point discussing it further
    i didnt use any of the words u assume,or use about what i said.
    what is a fact is that people live an area,or visit an area..or have personal experience,knows away more than people read the internet
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited August 2016

fuck that shit

what is a fact is that people live an area,or visit an area..or have personal experience,knows away more than people read the internet
    That isnt always true. I live 20 minutes from Fort Sumter, that doesn't make me any more of an expert on the civil war than someone in Oregon.
    Post edited by Degeneratefk on
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

fuck that shit

That isnt always true. I live 20 minutes from Fort Sumter, that doesn't make me any more of an expert on the civil war than someone in Oregon.
    yeah right!!!!well you didn't do your homework did ya!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2016

lukin2006 said:

same was so many russian athletes!!they didnt find them dirty..!!!

there are double standards here,,thery treat different russinaq athletes
    These are two completely separate issues. I see absolutely no relation between the Russian thing and this thing with the athlete from Kosovo. I don't think one's familiarity with Kosovo is the least bit relevant here. What's relevant is the position of the French and the International Judo Association and dope testing protocol, as well as the doping initiatives in the Russian Olympic Athletics program. I assume that probably none of us are super familiar with any of those things, and can all equally rely on the facts available and our own reasoning skills.
    Anyway, besides being mad about this, hope you're well Dimitris! ;)
  • Options
    The pool is probably algae ... We get algae blooms in the lake Erie every summer...if it is algae, this should be an embarrassment.