Options

Olympics in Rio

Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
edited July 2016 in A Moving Train
I have friends competing in the Olympics in Rio.....what a nasty shit hole to hold the Olympics in ! I've been talking to friends who are concerned about their safety in Rio and news stories like this say why.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/australian-paralympic-olympians-robbed-gunpoint-rio/

with all the tourist and athletes there it must be a hay-day for the criminals.

Godfather.
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the olympics are a fraud ... like everything else it has been corrupted by greed ...
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    ^^^agreed ... To address the OP, isn't this like every olympics ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I have friends competing in the Olympics in Rio.....what a nasty shit hole to hold the Olympics in ! I've been talking to friends who are concerned about their safety in Rio and news stories like this say why.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/australian-paralympic-olympians-robbed-gunpoint-rio/

with all the tourist and athletes there it must be a hay-day for the criminals.

Godfather.

Rio is not that bad, and neither is Sao Paulo.
    Didn't you used to live in LA? There are dangers and drawbacks to every large metropolis, that's why I avoid them all lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,606
    edited June 2016
    There are so many brutal stories coming out of Rio. Drinking water with fecal matter in it, stuff like that.... seems even worse than before the Winter Games in Sochi, which was pretty fucked up. I'm not saying that the city shouldn't have been chosen - part of the reasoning behind not just picking 1st world cities is because hosting the Olympics can bring social improvements to less stable cities and countries, and I agree with that philosophy. However, the political problems in Brazil that have been ongoing have really fucked things up, so I think these Games are going to be particularly tough. I just hope that all the facilities are SAFE. Would hate to see some rushed bleacher seating collapse while thousands of people are sitting on it or something. Security is obviously another big concern. I don't blame people for being nervous. It does seem like most Olympic Games are preceded by all these media stories about how shit's not ready, etc etc. There was some kind of crisis around the athletes village before the Vancouver 2010 Olympics too.... everything worked out. Besides some disturbing political oppression, even the Sochi Games went reasonably well in the end, despite some fucked up accommodations for a lot of people.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    I sure hope no one is surprised by any of this.

Rios is famous for the crime, corruption of elected officials, dirty water, etc

Must have taken millions in bribe money to get the Olympics.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    You guys are forgetting the World Cup was just there. The World Cup is as big (viewer wise) as the Olympics.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Yeah not a good situation down there !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Let the poop water competition begin!
  • Options
    Chicago is lucky Obama's bid failed for this Olympics.
  • Options
    Amazon jaguar shot dead after Olympic torch ceremony

A jaguar featured at an Olympic torch ceremony was shot dead by a soldier shortly after the event in the Brazilian Amazon city of Manaus as the animal escaped from its handlers, an army statement said.

The jaguar was killed on Monday at a zoo attached to a military training center where the Olympic torch ceremony was held. A soldier fired a single pistol shot when the escaped animal, despite being tranquilized, approached the soldier, the army said.

"We made a mistake in permitting the Olympic torch, a symbol of peace and unity, to be exhibited alongside a chained wild animal. This image goes against our beliefs and our values," the local organizing committee Rio 2016 said in a statement.

"We guarantee that there will be no more such incidents at Rio 2016," the committee added.

A cartoon smiling yellow jaguar known as Ginga is the mascot of the Brazilian Olympic team.

reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-jaguar-idUSKCN0Z72P4
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Jason P said:

A jaguar featured at an Olympic torch ceremony was shot dead by a soldier shortly after the event in the Brazilian Amazon city of Manaus as the animal escaped from its handlers, an army statement said.

The jaguar was killed on Monday at a zoo attached to a military training center where the Olympic torch ceremony was held. A soldier fired a single pistol shot when the escaped animal, despite being tranquilized, approached the soldier, the army said.

"We made a mistake in permitting the Olympic torch, a symbol of peace and unity, to be exhibited alongside a chained wild animal. This image goes against our beliefs and our values," the local organizing committee Rio 2016 said in a statement.

"We guarantee that there will be no more such incidents at Rio 2016," the committee added.

A cartoon smiling yellow jaguar known as Ginga is the mascot of the Brazilian Olympic team.

This was a disaster waiting to happen and it did. Not the most brilliant of an idea having wild animal like *Juma* in that situation. Terrible thing that a beautiful like that jaguar has to die for human entertainment. I gather that's why I don't like the circus.......this is the first negative sign on these Rio Olympics. The only events I'm looking forward to see are the swimming and track and field events.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited June 2016
    g under p said:

Jason P said:

This was a disaster waiting to happen and it did. Not the most brilliant of an idea having wild animal like *Juma* in that situation. Terrible thing that a beautiful like that jaguar has to die for human entertainment. I gather that's why I don't like the circus.......this is the first negative sign on these Rio Olympics. The only events I'm looking forward to see are the swimming and track and field events.

Peace

2nd at least. Several were killed when a pedestrian bridge built for the olympics collapsed after it was hit by a wave.

• Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    Jason P said:

King Obummer had nothing to do w/ Chicago's failed effort in getting that $ drain known as the Olympics. It was That crook Democrat Mayor Daley that wanted this to end his legacy and make his friends even more Rich with all the city contracts that would have been delt out in the city that works...pay to play baby, pay to play. Daley spent a couple 100 mil trying to get the Olympics so some of his cronies made some dough, but not the mother load thank God.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

Jason P said:

King Obummer had nothing to do w/ Chicago's failed effort in getting that $ drain known as the Olympics. It was That crook Democrat Mayor Daley that wanted this to end his legacy and make his friends even more Rich with all the city contracts that would have been delt out in the city that works...pay to play baby, pay to play. Daley spent a couple 100 mil trying to get the Olympics so some of his cronies made some dough, but not the mother load thank God.
    The facts nothing but the facts...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20100517/NEWS02/200038265/chicago-2016s-final-tally-70-6m-spent-on-olympics-effort

May 17, 2010
    Chicago 2016's final tally: $70.6M spent on Olympics effort

(Crain's) -- Chicago's unsuccessful bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics cost a total of $70.6 million, according to its final income tax return, released Monday.

Chicago 2016, the bid committee, had $6.8 million left over, which was donated to World Sport Chicago, a not-for-profit that promotes youth sports programs, as a legacy of the effort.

Down the 2009 home stretch of its three-year bid, Chicago 2016 spent $1.2 million on public relations with Hill & Knowlton and $1.2 million on its Web site online efforts with Ogilvy & Mather, according to bid documents.

Rounding out its top five contractors, were Freeman, paid $641,000 for event planning; DeMarsh Construction, paid $452,000 for construction consulting services, and RSA Films, paid $407,000 for film production.

Chicago also spent $736,025 to lobby European sports federations and International Olympic Committee members. It was the first city eliminated in the final voting on Oct. 2. The games went to Rio de Janeiro.

The Chicago bid committee spent about $3.8 million on payroll in 2009, including more than a half-million dollars in retention bonuses to top officers that were undisclosed in previous financial reports. The payments, intended to be equal to six months' salary, were awarded to senior executives to ensure they stayed through the bid process and were paid out after the bid concluded, according to the filing.

David Bolger, a former Aon Corp. executive who was chief operating officer of Chicago 2016, received a $200,000 retention bonus on top of his $283,713 salary, according to the filing. Mr. Bolger took a salary cut from his original $300,000 base salary as the economy worsened.

Doug Arnot, a longtime amateur sports executive who served as director of sport, received a $125,000 bonus in addition to his $248,013 salary. John Murray, a former McKinsey consultant who served as chief bid officer, received a $125,000 bonus on top of his $239,482 salary.

Valerie Waller, a marketing executive, received a $25,000 bonus on top of her $185,894 salary. Patricia Rios, who handled administration, received a $13,000 bonus in addition to her $126,613 salary.

Richard Ludwig, chief financial officer, received a $100,000 bonus on top of his $242,158 salary.

Aon founder Patrick Ryan, who was chairman and CEO of the bid committee, opted not to receive payment.
  • Options
    eddiec said:

You guys are forgetting the World Cup was just there. The World Cup is as big (viewer wise) as the Olympics.

Not actually the same. SO much new infrastructure has to be built for the Olympics. The World Cup is way less complicated because it's just a lot of one thing. The Olympics is a lot of a bunch of different things. Also, there are way more athletes involved, and the politics and economics of it are different too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Also with the World Cup games were played at different city's venues which places less pressures on one general area of Rio for the Olympics.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yup. The World Cup took place all over Brazil. This Olympics is concentrated in that beautiful cesspool known as Rio. Athletes will be competing on the beach, and in the sewage infested waters. If I were an Olympic athlete, I'd think twice about heading down there.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    ^^^ That is disgusting.
    Well, we'll see..... we've seen some pretty impressive last minute fixes for past Olympics... maybe Rio will pull it out of their asses yet... I doubt it, but maybe.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^ That is disgusting.
    Well, we'll see..... we've seen some pretty impressive last minute fixes for past Olympics... maybe Rio will pull it out of their asses yet... I doubt it, but maybe.

I doubt it as well, I think they've accepted the fact that they will not live up to an 80% clean up for the Olympics. It's just not going to happen, just think if they couldn't clean up their city for the FIRST Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere they will NEVER clean this city up.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/23/rio-pledge-cut-pollution-official

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

muskydan said:

Jason P said:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20100517/NEWS02/200038265/chicago-2016s-final-tally-70-6m-spent-on-olympics-effort

May 17, 2010

(Crain's) -- Chicago's unsuccessful bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics cost a total of $70.6 million, according to its final income tax return, released Monday.

Chicago 2016, the bid committee, had $6.8 million left over, which was donated to World Sport Chicago, a not-for-profit that promotes youth sports programs, as a legacy of the effort.

Down the 2009 home stretch of its three-year bid, Chicago 2016 spent $1.2 million on public relations with Hill & Knowlton and $1.2 million on its Web site online efforts with Ogilvy & Mather, according to bid documents.

Rounding out its top five contractors, were Freeman, paid $641,000 for event planning; DeMarsh Construction, paid $452,000 for construction consulting services, and RSA Films, paid $407,000 for film production.

Chicago also spent $736,025 to lobby European sports federations and International Olympic Committee members. It was the first city eliminated in the final voting on Oct. 2. The games went to Rio de Janeiro.

The Chicago bid committee spent about $3.8 million on payroll in 2009, including more than a half-million dollars in retention bonuses to top officers that were undisclosed in previous financial reports. The payments, intended to be equal to six months' salary, were awarded to senior executives to ensure they stayed through the bid process and were paid out after the bid concluded, according to the filing.

David Bolger, a former Aon Corp. executive who was chief operating officer of Chicago 2016, received a $200,000 retention bonus on top of his $283,713 salary, according to the filing. Mr. Bolger took a salary cut from his original $300,000 base salary as the economy worsened.

Doug Arnot, a longtime amateur sports executive who served as director of sport, received a $125,000 bonus in addition to his $248,013 salary. John Murray, a former McKinsey consultant who served as chief bid officer, received a $125,000 bonus on top of his $239,482 salary.

Valerie Waller, a marketing executive, received a $25,000 bonus on top of her $185,894 salary. Patricia Rios, who handled administration, received a $13,000 bonus in addition to her $126,613 salary.

Richard Ludwig, chief financial officer, received a $100,000 bonus on top of his $242,158 salary.

Aon founder Patrick Ryan, who was chairman and CEO of the bid committee, opted not to receive payment.
    That's some funny shit right there. Thanks 4 the laugh. You really don't and can't understand how the most corrupt city in our Nation works....
  • Options
    Americans bastardize the names of foreign places so much that the people from those places don't even recognize the names.
    I keep hearing about Ree-O Day Janairo on the news lol
    It's Hee-O Dja-nayo.
    I experienced this one and Cal-Cut-Uh (actually Cal-cuttuh) when I was young, I learned a bit about foreign languages to spare myself more "typical American" embarassment lol
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hi, gambo!

I'd never know there was a proper way of saying Rio's name. But we learn!

Kind of like Ibiza / Ibitha...Barcelona / Barthelona...Zaragoza / Tharagotha (last one's my favorite =) ). Again, we learn!

Given my heritage, I've always pronounced Iran "E-Rahn", but my husband usually says "I-Ran". It's OK by me, just a matter of dialect and exposure. No disrespect intended, of that I'm sure.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Jason P said:

May 17, 2010

That's some funny shit right there. Thanks 4 the laugh. You really don't and can't understand how the most corrupt city in our Nation works....
    Considering it has one of, if not the most, corrupt police force in the country
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    rgambs said:

Americans bastardize the names of foreign places so much that the people from those places don't even recognize the names.
    It's Hee-O Dja-nayo.
    I experienced this one and Cal-Cut-Uh (actually Cal-cuttuh) when I was young, I learned a bit about foreign languages to spare myself more "typical American" embarassment lol

What do you expect? Most Americans can't say New Orleans correctly. lol
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    rgambs said:

It's Hee-O Dja-nayo.

A bit over dramiatic. Rio is rio.

I'm not by any means an expert of pronunciations, but it really looks like cal-cut-ah is pronounced the same as cal-cuttuh. I understand emphasis, but one must account for accent and dialect.

will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Hi, gambo!

I'd never know there was a proper way of saying Rio's name. But we learn!

Kind of like Ibiza / Ibitha...Barcelona / Barthelona...Zaragoza / Tharagotha (last one's my favorite =) ). Again, we learn!

Given my heritage, I've always pronounced Iran "E-Rahn", but my husband usually says "I-Ran". It's OK by me, just a matter of dialect and exposure. No disrespect intended, of that I'm sure.

I-Ran is another one that bothers me, along with I-Rack.
    Pet peeves lol
    :angry:
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

rgambs said:

It's Hee-O Dja-nayo.

I'm not by any means an expert of pronunciations, but it really looks like cal-cut-ah is pronounced the same as cal-cuttuh. I understand emphasis, but one must account for accent and dialect.

a bit?
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

^^^agreed ... To address the OP, isn't this like every olympics ...

yes, Olympic games locations are given to the highest bid I believe so it's all about money, the USAC also choses it's location according to bid and it really sucks.

Godfather.

• Options

rgambs said:

It's Hee-O Dja-nayo.

Calcutta is harder to differentiate with writing, but verbally it is a big difference.

Rio is not Rio.
    Rio is He-O.

It may not be a big deal to you, but if you travel abroad much, or have international friends, people will be embarrassed for you even if you aren't yourself.

When my brother from a Brazilian mother introduces himself to Americans he says "Hi, I am Hee-cardo", and Americans (I think most feel self conscious using accents) say "nice to meet you Ree-cardo", it irks me to no end. It's one thing to get emphasis wrong, that can be difficult, but to change the opening consonant?
  • Options

rgambs said:

It's Hee-O Dja-nayo.

ummmmmm.

Godfather.