Options

European Union vote 2016

Comments

• Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,952
    The Sun newspaper ladies and gentlemen...

Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

:r

igotid88 said:

It seems like mostly everybody is upset about this. And I'm like. Did you vote?

Apparently the turnout was 70%. The other 30% should be ashamed of themselves.
    Not only do people have the right to vote, but that also means they have the right NOT to vote. An uneducated vote is far worse than someone choosing not to vote.
    I didn't say I thought they should vote without being informed. That is a stupid thing to do and would also be shameful. Shame on them for not voting if they are informed, and shame on them for not voting and being uninformed as well.
    Agreed, laziness is a different issue
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    Spags said:

The Sun newspaper ladies and gentlemen...

Yikes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Goodbye Brussels
    manchester 00
    manchester 09
    belfast 2010
    hyde park 2010
    manchester 2012 1&2
    amsterdam 2012 1&2
    EV manchester 2012
    EV london 31/7/12
    brooklyn 2013 1&2
    milano,leeds,milton keynes 2014

monkey driven call this living
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Who is the guy in the blue Nike shirt? Why is that a big deal?
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Who is the guy in the blue Nike shirt? Why is that a big deal?

It's the same guy who is in the neo-nazi photo below. Dude on the right.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited June 2016
    Congrats to the UK for having the balls to get out of the EU..NOW stand alone on your own and prosper

I just hope they fully know what they did, which im starting to read now they didnt
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    Oh man.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

"That confusion over what Brexit might mean for the country's economy appears to have been reflected across the United Kingdom on Thursday. Google reported sharp upticks in searches not only related to the ballot measure but also about basic questions concerning the implications of the vote. At about 1 a.m. Eastern time, about eight hours after the polls closed, Google reported that searches for "what happens if we leave the EU" had more than tripled."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559

C'mon mods, move it. Thread is fuckin' up the view as Ed once said.

Those damn flying banners.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559

I read that this vote isn't legally binding.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

Could MPs block an EU exit?
    Could the necessary legislation pass the Commons, given that a lot of MPs - all SNP and Lib Dems, nearly all Labour and many Conservatives - were in favour of staying?
    The referendum result is not legally binding - Parliament still has to pass the laws that will get Britain out of the 28 nation bloc, starting with the repeal of the 1972 European Communities Act.
    The withdrawal agreement also has to be ratified by Parliament - the House of Lords and/or the Commons could vote against ratification, according to a House of Commons library report.
    In practice, Conservative MPs who voted to remain in the EU would be whipped to vote with the government. Any who defied the whip would have to face the wrath of voters at the next general election.
    One scenario that could see the referendum result overturned, is if MPs forced a general election and a party campaigned on a promise to keep Britain in the EU, got elected and then claimed that the election mandate topped the referendum one.
    Two-thirds of MPs would have to vote for a general election to be held before the next scheduled one in 2020.

Reminds me of the lyrics to my favorite song...

"The people have the power (if they vote the way the leaders want them to vote).....the people have the power (again, if they vote the way the aristocracy wants)"

Such powerful lyrics.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Kat said:
    this one caught my attention...

Tamara Isted ‏@TamaraIsted1 · 13h13 hours ago
    You know what makes me mad? Those who it will affect most were sat in classrooms while the rest of the country got their vote

• Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    The EU was been a failed experiment. I don't blame the UK for voting out of it.

Regardless of whichever opinion you have on it, no one knows if it was the best or worst thing to do. For every reason you look up why they should stay, there is a reason for why they should leave.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Nigel Farage: £350 million pledge to fund the NHS was 'a mistake'

One of the central claims made by supporters of the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union was that £350 million per week that the nation was sending to the EU would instead be put toward the National Health Service. On Good Morning Britain today, UK Independence Party Leader Nigel Farage said that claim is untrue.

The pledge was central to the official Vote Leave campaign and was controversially emblazoned on the side of the bus which shuttled Boris Johnson and Michael Gove around the country.

Campaigners promised to use the money the UK reportedly sends to the EU to fund the health service instead.

Asked by ITV's Good Morning Britain whether he could guarantee that the £350m that was sent to the EU would now go the NHS, Mr Farage said: “No I can’t, I would never have made that claim.

"That was one of the mistakes made by the Leave campaign.”

Oops. (FYI: NHS is UK healthcare system)

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/nigel-farage-350-million-pledge-to-fund-the-nhs-was-a-mistake/
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    I wonder if this will give hope and possible resurgence to the Bloc Quebecois seperatists in Canada once again.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I wonder if this will give hope and possible resurgence to the Bloc Quebecois seperatists in Canada once again.

If they try that again the rest of Canada could just have a referendum to boot them out ourselves, lol.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    if this is true, it is incredibly baffling: one of the top searches in UK right now according to Google data is "what is the EU?". you've GOT to be kidding me. And there's reports of people saying that if they could go back, they'd change their vote, as they never thought it would actually happen. what the fuck, did you think this was British Idol??
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    Kat said:

Many articles like this one.)

TIME Magazine
    These Brexit Voters Think They Have Made a Horrible Mistake
    Tara John @tarajohn 10:16 AM ET

"I didn’t think my vote was going to matter too much"

Some Brexit voters are regretting their choice after U.K.’s momentous decision to leave the E.U. on Thursday, which caused the British pound to hit a 30-year low.

On the BBC, a Brexit voter introduced as Adam said that he was “shocked” that Britain voted to Leave. “I did not think that was going to happen, I didn’t think my vote was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to remain,” he said, adding that the resignation of U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron has “blown me away,” resulting in a magnified “period of uncertainty.”

From Manchester Airport, another voter, Mandy, told ITV news that she is disappointed with her choice. “This morning I woke up and the reality did actually hit me, if I had the opportunity to vote again it would be to stay,” she told ITV.

Others took to Twitter to air their grievances

The Boy El Pablo @ELIJAH_XVII
    Lol starting to regret my vote #EURefResults
    6:43 AM - 24 Jun 2016
    9 9 Retweets 1 1 like

Tom Walker @thomaswalker93
    Urm I think I kinda regret my vote, I had no real reason to pick what I did!!
    12:06 AM - 24 Jun 2016
    15 15 Retweets 6 6 likes

khembe @rambogiblet
    I personally voted leave believing these lies and I regret it more than anything, I feel genuinely robbed of my vote

This is what scares me this November. People voting for Trump as a goof or not voting thinking their vote won't make a difference.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    newy777newy777 Posts: 89
    edited June 2016

The EU was been a failed experiment. I don't blame the UK for voting out of it.

Regardless of whichever opinion you have on it, no one knows if it was the best or worst thing to do. For every reason you look up why they should stay, there is a reason for why they should leave.

I feel this board share a lot of the same good values regardless of leave or remain. My view being that ´leave` is the best outcome is considered with acknowledging that there is an element of negativity amongst many voting for leave. I strongly reject the anti immigration sentiment - it really saddens me. However I am very passionate in understanding how can europe be prosperous again. It needs a strong foundation of democracy to start with - one thing sorely lacking in Brussels. Above else people need a voice and to be able to vote in and out lawmakers. My second consideration is the economic state of the european union. This is undoubtedly a factor which has stirred up the nationalism sentiment and people need to blame it on someone or something. So sometimes rightly but much more often wrongfully point to immigration being the cause of their lower standard of living. The EU seemingly works in good times but as the world wide debt supercycle comes to an end, it is extremely toxic to the society for such an organisation like the EU to dictate fiscal and monetary policy against the will of the european nations. It is psychologically crippling and it is the right environment for extreme political group to gain power. I want you all to understand that negative interest rates in nearly a third of the world is a big sign that the central planners have lost control and have no more options.ie helicopter money has failed miserably. We have to be honest and say there is a big problem and there are no easy ways to get back on track. I think an important issue regarding peace going forward is to see countries get their sovereignty back as I think people will be more responsive to knowing they have a vote. Countries like Greece will be able to start from scratch and become competitive again using a currency that is valued on it´s own merits and not shutting them out of opportunity to thrive. As it stands the european union very much is run by cronies and make it difficult for small business, entrepreneurs and innovation. It is that way even if people don´t sense it to be that way. The mess the EU is in is a product of its existence. The intentions of bringing peace to europe were very worthy but times have changed and the EU has evolved into something that I can never by priciple support.
    I welcome constructive positive solutions to the problems of Europe and Britain. Even though many voters for leave voted for anti immigration I want those who voted for democracy to take Britain forward an hopefully inspire other countries to transition into a more respectful and sustainable europe. I also want to thank everyone for the insights on both sides.ie. Spags.
    If there is no discussion there is no advancement. Cheers
    Post edited by newy777 on
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    i see that the older people are blaming the millenials for not being engaged. seems to me the boomers are the ones driving the leave movement.

problem with society today is that everyone is so focused on taking and posting the ultimate selfie of them standing in the voting line that they do not have time to think about the decision they are making in the voting booth.

you get enough people not paying attention and this can happen anywhere.

i saw on the facebook page that some women took a photo of her california primary ballot where she wrote in the name "eddie vedder".

i kid you not.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited June 2016
    igotid88 said:

Kat said:

TIME Magazine

Some Brexit voters are regretting their choice after U.K.’s momentous decision to leave the E.U. on Thursday, which caused the British pound to hit a 30-year low.

On the BBC, a Brexit voter introduced as Adam said that he was “shocked” that Britain voted to Leave. “I did not think that was going to happen, I didn’t think my vote was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to remain,” he said, adding that the resignation of U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron has “blown me away,” resulting in a magnified “period of uncertainty.”

From Manchester Airport, another voter, Mandy, told ITV news that she is disappointed with her choice. “This morning I woke up and the reality did actually hit me, if I had the opportunity to vote again it would be to stay,” she told ITV.

9 9 Retweets 1 1 like

15 15 Retweets 6 6 likes

khembe @rambogiblet
    I personally voted leave believing these lies and I regret it more than anything, I feel genuinely robbed of my vote

This is what scares me this November. People voting for Trump as a goof or not voting thinking their vote won't make a difference.
    This is what scares me about those voting for Sanders and Hillary..even with all the info out there about Hillary people don't care and vote party over facts and common sense and with Sanders he is no revolutionary guy has been in government for decades and is a shill

As for those in the UK that Kat listed above if you didn't know what you were voting for then you are plain and simple and ill informed simpleton

• Options
    pjalive21 said:

igotid88 said:

Kat said:

TIME Magazine

9 9 Retweets 1 1 like

15 15 Retweets 6 6 likes

khembe @rambogiblet

This is what scares me about those voting for Sanders and Hillary..even with all the info out there about Hillary people don't care and vote party over facts and common sense and with Sanders he is no revolutionary guy has been in government for decades and is a shill

As for those in the UK that Kat listed above if you didn't know what you were voting for then you are plain and simple and ill informed simpleton

With Trump every single word, action or thought is discussed all over the world. There is no surprise with what you will get if you vote Trump. People will vote for Trump not the party.
  • Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711

i see that the older people are blaming the millenials for not being engaged. seems to me the boomers are the ones driving the leave movement.

problem with society today is that everyone is so focused on taking and posting the ultimate selfie of them standing in the voting line that they do not have time to think about the decision they are making in the voting booth.

i saw on the facebook page that some women took a photo of her california primary ballot where she wrote in the name "eddie vedder".

i kid you not.

I would beg to disagree with you on that. You simply cannot dismiss anyone that disagrees with you as uninformed or not paying attention. What if they are informed and paying attention but just feel differently than you do? It's politics. There is no right or wrong answer. You can't just dismiss people and label them as uninformed. That is a huge generalization. It's good to disagree in politics. Just don't take an elitist stance that no one is educated if they feel differently than you. That's my thoughts on it anyway.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Good for the uk.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

i kid you not.

I would beg to disagree with you on that. You simply cannot dismiss anyone that disagrees with you as uninformed or not paying attention. What if they are informed and paying attention but just feel differently than you do? It's politics. There is no right or wrong answer. You can't just dismiss people and label them as uninformed. That is a huge generalization. It's good to disagree in politics. Just don't take an elitist stance that no one is educated if they feel differently than you. That's my thoughts on it anyway.
    Keep up man.
    Unless you agree on the train you are a racist, insensitive bigot.
    Now carry on agreeing.
  • Options

i kid you not.

Keep up man.
    Now carry on agreeing.
    That is absolutely untrue. Anyone that disagrees and has valid points to submit are not only good for discussion, but is encouraged. There are a few people here, however, that add nothing but opinion backed up with no facts.
  • Options

i kid you not.

Keep up man.
    Now carry on agreeing.
    That is absolutely untrue. Anyone that disagrees and has valid points to submit are not only good for discussion, but is encouraged. There are a few people here, however, that add nothing but opinion backed up with no facts.
    Well anything that even hints at supporting Trump is frowned upon the train no?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

i kid you not.

Keep up man.
    Now carry on agreeing.
    I haven't seen anyone that backs their endorsement of trump get a hard time if they back their points up with facts. The problem with most trump support is that there is no fact backing up trump. He's got no political experience. So to say he can accomplish anything he has campaigned for can't be backed up by any fact.
  • Options

i kid you not.

Keep up man.
    Now carry on agreeing.
    I haven't seen anyone that backs their endorsement of trump get a hard time if they back their points up with facts. The problem with most trump support is that there is no fact backing up trump. He's got no political experience. So to say he can accomplish anything he has campaigned for can't be backed up by any fact.
    He has campaigned on his beliefs.
    Fact - Americans are listening.