European Union vote 2016

Comments

• rgambs said:

The thing that bothers me is this is another example of the rising tide of right wing lunacy in the world. The Brexit has it's pros, cons, and unknowns, but it was pushed through on Trump-style fearmongering and scapegoating.
    I have this paranoid feeling in my bones that the world is going to step into more and more foolish wars over culture.

Just relax and go play golf at Turnberry. Things will feel better.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,491
    Spags said:

From Sadiq Khan:
    "I want to send a clear message to every European resident living in London - you are very welcome here. As a city, we are grateful for the enormous contribution you make, and that will not change as a result of this referendum.
    There are nearly one million European citizens living in London today, and they bring huge benefits to our city - working hard, paying taxes, working in our public services and contributing to our civic and cultural life.
    We all have a responsibility to now seek to heal the divisions that have emerged throughout this campaign - and to focus on what unites us, rather than that which divides us".

I am not too familiar with the UK's economic and social statuses. Here in the USA the middle class is shrinking significantly and I suspect in the UK it may be the same way. When I hear that London doesn't like the Brexit I think about the wealthy people living in one of the most expensive cities in the world who get rich off the current structure being inconvenienced, and that the hardworking bus driver or police officer making the minimum are probably going to keep making the minimum because you can't pay them much lower. The French and Germans will still want UK to buy their stuff so they can't squeeze the UK too much on trade, so at the end of the day I am not sure how major this Brexit will be in the long-term, except for providing more autonomy on political/social decisions to the UK than they held previously.

At the end of the day I won't cry for any wealthy people from London who get rich at the expense of the working man, and am surprised that more on this board aren't taking the same view. But, I don't pretend to know a lot about the situation but just know that the global elite wanted them to stay and the global elite at the end of the day cause most of the world's problems and setup the financial system to be the way it is currently.
  • Somebody please explain to this American....

What were the Pros?
    What were the Cons?
    What changes will occur?

Go read the many many descriptions on line
    I have.
    I was hoping to hear some opinions of some of the folks here, who actually had a vote in all this.
    Just curious to as what some folks here had to say.

But yeah, I have spent the last few hours doing my homework.

every british expat I know is mortified at this vote.
    Mortified?
    How many british expats do you know?
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Him resigining was predicted if the vote was to leave

Honestly, this story has barely been on the radar for me until 2 days ago. I don't live under a rock, so I am pretty sure there has just been very little news coverage about it here until a day or two before the vote happened, so while i know some about the wider implications to Britain and the EU (and Canada), i know basically nothing about the internal politics surrounding the whole thing. I only learned yesterday that Cameron lead the charge to stay in fact. I can only assume that the Canadian media decided that there wasn't a big story to report until an decision was made, I don't know.
    I'm no expert but we already have a trade agreement with the EU, so getting a trade agreement with the U.K. should happen, but who cares if we get a free trade agreement with the U.K., not like these trade agreements have benefited the little guy ... To me democracy won the day, the world needs less politicians, less governmemrnt and less bureacrats...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PJ_ROCKS said:

Somebody please explain to this American....

What were the Pros?
    What were the Cons?
    What changes will occur?

your 401k goes bye bye
    And ya know....

That's about all that needs to be said, at this point.

UGHH....
    Says who?
    Stop spreading fear
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Honestly, this story has barely been on the radar for me until 2 days ago. I don't live under a rock, so I am pretty sure there has just been very little news coverage about it here until a day or two before the vote happened, so while i know some about the wider implications to Britain and the EU (and Canada), i know basically nothing about the internal politics surrounding the whole thing. I only learned yesterday that Cameron lead the charge to stay in fact. I can only assume that the Canadian media decided that there wasn't a big story to report until an decision was made, I don't know.
    To be equally honest, I didn't even bother reading about it because we all assumed they'd vote to stay! I'd say that's why people in other countries weren't paying all that much attention to it. Well we bloody are now of course....
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    It wasn't just Londoners representing Remain. Cities of Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Leicester, Bristol, Norwich, Brighton and Exeter (sorry to any I've missed) also represented Remain - and obviously Northern Ireland and Scotland. You could argue, as you and many others are, that these cities are full of the rich elite who make their money at the expense of the working class. But you could also argue that cities are far more cosmopolitan and less isolated, allowing the people there to be less influenced by the agenda pushed by Brexit. Regardless, making the country poorer and putting it in the hands of Boris (as well as potentially giving UKIP a much bigger seat at the political table from here on - not to mention fanning the flames of the Right Wing across Europe) isn't going to help the working class, not to mention the people living in the UK that aren't British.
    I'm all for saying 'Yay Democracy' and 'Eat The Rich' but its not as simple as that right now while we are all still in shock (even a lot of the Brexit camp from the interviews I've seen).
    Nature drunk and High
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

The thing that bothers me is this is another example of the rising tide of right wing lunacy in the world. The Brexit has it's pros, cons, and unknowns, but it was pushed through on Trump-style fearmongering and scapegoating.
    I have this paranoid feeling in my bones that the world is going to step into more and more foolish wars over culture.

You just don't get it. It isn't lunacy. This is people wanting to have a say in how their lives are governed. At some point you will have to wake up to the fact that the voters you disparage are in fact free minded people who can think and make decisions for themselves. This is a repudiation of elitism plain and simple. An elitism that so many of you have unwittingly become part of.
    Yes this is the democratic result of a democratic vote. That's not to say it wasn't an ill-advised or even ill-informed vote though. The campaign was rife with misinformation. Not to mention the fact that the British already had a say in how they're governed. I'm not sure how much power you think the EU has but I'm guessing it's a lot more than it actually has....
  • Here is a tidy article. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/brexit-world-reactions-1.3650612
    We have the will of the British people on the table," Weber told reporters, saying it now had to be implemented "and the most important thing is that we do this very quickly."
    I'm actually confused by my own reaction now, as I had idly thought it might be interesting if they left, with the added bonus of giving a boost to the campaign for Scottish independence. However, the fact that the right wing thinks it's great and the generally accepted opinion on the left is that it's terrible, really tells me all I need to know. My idle thoughts had seemed irrelevant while under the assumption that they'd never vote to leave. Now we have to face the reality that they did and the uncertain future is quite worrying....
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,491
    It will be interesting to see what happens. The European Union has existed for but a brief moment in UK's history so I don't think the sky will fall for the UK but time will tell.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016

I'm actually confused by my own reaction now, as I had idly thought it might be interesting if they left, with the added bonus of giving a boost to the campaign for Scottish independence. However, the fact that the right wing thinks it's great and the generally accepted opinion on the left is that it's terrible, really tells me all I need to know. My idle thoughts had seemed irrelevant while under the assumption that they'd never vote to leave. Now we have to face the reality that they did and the uncertain future is quite worrying....

For too long a lot of people have not acted when they had a chance to, sitting on the fence all the time or taking a far left approach to life.
    People have had enough and are acting.
  • This should be moved to AMT.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I'm no expert but we already have a trade agreement with the EU, so getting a trade agreement with the U.K. should happen, but who cares if we get a free trade agreement with the U.K., not like these trade agreements have benefited the little guy ... To me democracy won the day, the world needs less politicians, less governmemrnt and less bureacrats...
    I am not in favour of these trade agreements. None of them seem to benefit Canada.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    The EU is now going to fuck over the UK if they want to, right? They don't want other countries to follow suit, so I'm guessing trade negotiations aren't going to go well.
  • PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I am not in favour of these trade agreements. None of them seem to benefit Canada.
    You sound like Trump getting tough for American deals.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    It seems like mostly everybody is upset about this. And I'm like. Did you vote?
    I miss igotid88
    Although the vote was democratic, it appears the way the next PM is chosen is the opposite of democratic. Who is the British version of Trump?
    :r
    igotid88 said:

It seems like mostly everybody is upset about this. And I'm like. Did you vote?

Apparently the turnout was 70%. The other 30% should be ashamed of themselves.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Somebody please explain to this American....

What were the Pros?
    What were the Cons?
    What changes will occur?

Go read the many many descriptions on line
    I have.
    I was hoping to hear some opinions of some of the folks here, who actually had a vote in all this.
    Just curious to as what some folks here had to say.

But yeah, I have spent the last few hours doing my homework.

every british expat I know is mortified at this vote.
    Mortified?
    How many british expats do you know?
    a few.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Honestly, this story has barely been on the radar for me until 2 days ago. .
    Same here. I thought Brexit was some new erectile dysfunction pill.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    C'mon mods, move it. Thread is fuckin' up the view as Ed once said.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited June 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I'm in no way in favour of these undemocratic trade deals we get rope into, just stating from a Canadian point of view that a trade deal could maybe come easily enough .... But you are right they do not help Canada...Maybe we could work on eliminating interprovincial trade barriers...still baffles.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

C'mon mods, move it. Thread is fuckin' up the view as Ed once said.

It's nice to see this on here. More people should be aware of what is happening.
    Jason P said:

Although the vote was democratic, it appears the way the next PM is chosen is the opposite of democratic. Who is the British version of Trump?

That's how parliamentary democracies work ... Now remove the word democracy and that's how's things really work ... everything being decided by parliament ... So this referendum was true democracy with a clear question.

I am not sure what will happen with the EU free trade deal being negotiated. I am imagining that the one currently being brokered will go ahead without Britain, and then... ?? I am not sure if Canada and the UK would have something they'd want to work out individually or what. Is the UK now just out of the whole deal automatically? Will they get in on it as a separate nation now? I don't know.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i wonder how the buyer's remose is going to feel in the next few years.

oh well, you get what you vote for.

good luck with this being all "free" and stuff.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    It would be an honor to have my thread moved :)
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2016

Spags said:

From Sadiq Khan:
    "I want to send a clear message to every European resident living in London - you are very welcome here. As a city, we are grateful for the enormous contribution you make, and that will not change as a result of this referendum.
    There are nearly one million European citizens living in London today, and they bring huge benefits to our city - working hard, paying taxes, working in our public services and contributing to our civic and cultural life.
    We all have a responsibility to now seek to heal the divisions that have emerged throughout this campaign - and to focus on what unites us, rather than that which divides us".

I am not too familiar with the UK's economic and social statuses. Here in the USA the middle class is shrinking significantly and I suspect in the UK it may be the same way. When I hear that London doesn't like the Brexit I think about the wealthy people living in one of the most expensive cities in the world who get rich off the current structure being inconvenienced, and that the hardworking bus driver or police officer making the minimum are probably going to keep making the minimum because you can't pay them much lower. The French and Germans will still want UK to buy their stuff so they can't squeeze the UK too much on trade, so at the end of the day I am not sure how major this Brexit will be in the long-term, except for providing more autonomy on political/social decisions to the UK than they held previously.

At the end of the day I won't cry for any wealthy people from London who get rich at the expense of the working man, and am surprised that more on this board aren't taking the same view. But, I don't pretend to know a lot about the situation but just know that the global elite wanted them to stay and the global elite at the end of the day cause most of the world's problems and setup the financial system to be the way it is currently.
    I can dig it

The world has survived this long... what's all the doom & gloom? Something tells me everything will be just fine

Americans would NEVER agree to a North American Union... so honestly we shouldn't judge one way or another
    Post edited by my2hands on
    PJ_Soul said:

I am not sure what will happen with the EU free trade deal being negotiated. I am imagining that the one currently being brokered will go ahead without Britain, and then... ?? I am not sure if Canada and the UK would have something they'd want to work out individually or what. Is the UK now just out of the whole deal automatically? Will they get in on it as a separate nation now? I don't know.

From what I've read it'll take 2 years for the breakup to be complete with negotiations to begin either immediately or within 90 days.

Hey we have experience dealing with a possible breakup (Quebec), I do wonder if this will reignite the sepatist movement their...interesting times ahead.