Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

Guys things are simple
    Half uk will blame the other half..its how it goes
    And somwthing else
    Uk is 4 countries together
    England-scotland-wales-north ireland
    So the other 3 countries..scitland -wales-n.ireland..voter to stay in europe!!!
    How about that??they want europe..buy english are more abd vote leave...now scotland will have a vote to be free from uk!!
    So scotland-wales-n.ireland wants to be in europe..lets see how it goes

England did not vote to leave Europe ... it appears that 52 % of the people were wise and decided they had enough of the bureaucracy of the EU and decided to take their country back ... and i Say good for them for raising a middle finger at the politicians and their corporate and elite masters, well done.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,934
    Wales wanted out...it's them and England that brought this on the UK...not the cities of course. Just saying.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016
    lukin2006 said:
    I am so glad that he is still around. Rex is an outstanding columnist.
    This article is heavy and will take awhile for a few to soak it in.
    Especially the Trump parts.

Barack Obama shocked a great slice of the American public with his executive order (since suspended by the Supreme Court) — a pure fiat from the Oval Office — to exempt five million illegal aliens, what Time magazine described as “the largest single immigration action in modern American history.” He did this with a wave of his imperious pen. It was a decree less fit for a president than an emperor, a clear flight of that “Caesarism” which all good Obamaphiles prefer to see only in demon Trump.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    ^^^people are getting tired of the elites ... unfortunately not fast enough ... and Trump is an elitist as well ... in Canada it appears that elitist in politics and our over bloated bureaucracy is doing quite well, especially in Onterrible.

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2016

Guys things are simple
    And somwthing else
    How about that??they want europe..buy english are more abd vote leave...now scotland will have a vote to be free from uk!!

the 3 smaller economies voted to stay and the large economy decided to leave... I think it is really as simple as that... the way a lot of people see it, in general terms, Northern Europe is subsidizing southern Europe, while losing jobs to eastern European immigrants... right or wrong that is the perception and may very well be the reality... so bam, the brits vote to get out and call their own shots... I'm not really shocked

I think we may see a move towards this pattern... it will definitely gain traction in some political parties in the stronger economic countries of western & northern europe
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    my2hands said:

Guys things are simple
    And somwthing else

the 3 smaller economies voted to stay and the large economy decided to leave... I think it is really as simple as that... the way a lot of people see it, in general terms, Northern Europe is subsidizing southern Europe, while losing jobs to eastern European immigrants... right or wrong that is the perception and may very well be the reality... so bam, the brits vote to get out and call their own shots... I'm not really shocked

I think we may see a move towards this pattern... it will definitely gain traction in some political parties in the stronger economic countries of western & northern europe
    Young people
    The ones need jobs want to stay in europe
    Old people voted to.stay out..
    Fear won..propaganda won....not eastern european people that work.in uk was the problem
    Peoplr think now....they will have jobs..and money and no immigrants
    Well..ill tell u this..ive been to uk like 5-6 times and 70% foreigners are from pakistan and india at uk and they work everywhere ..running almost all small business..from fast foods...restautant..7/11..coffee shops..at transfer of city.metro-bus...u wonder whete is the people from england working??
    For sure wasnt polland or from ukraine people working at uk
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,934
    Approx. 70% of those under-25s who actually voted, voted for Remain. Unfortunately, 55% of 18-24 year olds (inc. 75% of 18 year olds) didn't vote at all. So they only have themselves to blame if their voice hasn't been heard.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    Just curious why we think the young are so smart? Big deal that the young voted to stay. Does that make it the better decision for some reason? I'm in my 30's by the way so not saying I'm old.
  • Options
    I think everyone thought there would be pain economically after a Brexit, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. We make right decisions all the time that go against our short term interest but are correct for the long run. For example, a married couple could stay together with the kids when they no longer like each other, but choose to divorce even though those first few months/years after the divorce may be tougher than the routine but unsatisfying life prior to divorce.

The world is moving in a direction where everyone will be the same (one world government, everyone using the same technology, everyone reading the same news, etc...). The UK at least decided to tap the breaks on that.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827

Just curious why we think the young are so smart? Big deal that the young voted to stay. Does that make it the better decision for some reason? I'm in my 30's by the way so not saying I'm old.

Not necessarily so smart but generally different priorities and different tolerance for risk. That's normal and expected. I think a chunk of the older Brits never really liked being part of the EU and now have taken the opportunity to try to return to what they think Britain was. That's not going to work, though.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

my2hands said:

Guys things are simple
    And somwthing else

Young people
    Fear won..propaganda won....not eastern european people that work.in uk was the problem
    Well..ill tell u this..ive been to uk like 5-6 times and 70% foreigners are from pakistan and india at uk and they work everywhere ..running almost all small business..from fast foods...restautant..7/11..coffee shops..at transfer of city.metro-bus...u wonder whete is the people from england working??
    I wonder why dimi is opposed to brexit. Is it because the EU pumped billions into the greek bailout? Or does the UK leaving have a direct impact on the greek economy?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016
    7 Valid Arguments for Britain to leave the EU http://www.vox.com/2016/6/22/11992106/brexit-arguments

#5 Nails it: The EU allows too many immigrants EU law guarantees that citizens of one EU country have the right to travel, live, and take jobs in other EU countries
    British people have increasingly felt the impact of this rule since the 2008 financial crisis. The eurozone has struggled economically, and workers from eurozone countries such as Ireland, Italy, and Lithuania (as well as EU countries like Poland and Romania that have not yet joined the common currency) have flocked to the UK in search of work.

"In recent years, hundreds of thousands of Eastern Europeans have come to Britain to do a job," British journalist and Brexit supporter Douglas Murray told me last week. This, he argues, has "undercut the native working population."
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2950401/How-one-three-Londoners-born-abroad-areas-live-in.html

1 in 3 residents of London was not born in England. So, I can understand how British who are not from the big cities don't like seeing their country slowly (or not so slowly) disappear into a cosmopolitan nation with no resemblance of British history. I can also see why there are so many in the big cities that voted to stay in the EU because they are probably only in London because of the benefits the EU membership created for them.

Don't think I believe any one person is better than another, but I think it is sad when a city like London will be over 50% non-British born in 2031 per projections. The world changes but it is nice to be able to visit different countries with distinctly different cultures and that is changing as we are all slowly becoming the same.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

my2hands said:

Guys things are simple
    And somwthing else

Young people
    I wonder why dimi is opposed to brexit. Is it because the EU pumped billions into the greek bailout? Or does the UK leaving have a direct impact on the greek economy?
    Or maybe he just sees the value in preserving the EU as a strong political union. You seem to be assuming his opinion could only be based on self-interest
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

my2hands said:

Guys things are simple
    And somwthing else

Young people
    Or maybe he just sees the value in preserving the EU as a strong political union. You seem to be assuming his opinion could only be based on self-interest
    You are correct in the assumption. But is the union that strong?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

my2hands said:

Guys things are simple
    And somwthing else

Young people
    You are correct in the assumption. But is the union that strong?
    Well it depends what you want it to be? It has given stability and peace to a continent that used to be constantly engulfed in war. Smaller and poorer countries like my own have been given a helping hand to develop and become more self-sufficient. Countries who have historically been less progressive have been nudged in the right direction and introduced measures that benefit minorities and those most in need of protection.

I am naturally inclined to oppose any external threats to my country's sovereignty but, to be honest, the EU has generally been a benign force and its' more intrusive laws have been for our benefit.
  • Options
    I've heard it described by someone as the EU was too political and it was just someone from Brussels telling everyone what to do.
    So the people finally had enough.
  • Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    I would argue that NATO adds stability and peace throughout Europe. The economic system of the EU has failed. I really didn't know much about the EU until this brexit ordeal, and I started reading about it. It's been a handicap to the countries that have a strong economy. The open border policy, while great in idea, isn't what people want. People want to be from and take pride in their country. The open border policy has had heavy impacts on many of the EU cultures. While that's not a bad thing, the flip side is countries are loosing their own culture. It's created this notion that the only way you can have national pride is by living in a country you aren't from, and celebrating your own culture instead of even remotely assimilating. It starts to create a little bit of animosity. Why does our country have to loose it's sense of identity and culture, while immigrants get to openly take theirs with them and celebrate it? This isn't me being a bigot, or racist. It's addressing the cultural changes, that the hosting country and citizens have to deal with. 1 out of every 3 Londoners weren't born in England.
  • Options
    I'm very surprised that this notion hasn't been brought up on the train yet.
    It was only a matter of time before the "Leave" people were dubbed racist. Some people just can't handle truth from others. "The Uncomfortable Question"? really?
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/the-uncomfortable-question-was-the-brexit-vote-based-on-racism/ar-AAhCSfc?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    The differences between the younger and older generations is what gives me concern for the future. It was most evident in this vote. The older generation was brought up mostly with a strong work ethic, self suffiency, and lacked the belief they were somehow owed something just for being alive. They desired for their country to stand on its own legs, as well it should, and not be mired in the economic woes of the EU as a whole.

The younger generation...in a VERY generalized sense... is the exact opposite, and is mostly clueless on how life really works. For some imexplicable reason, the media tends to over sell the vast wisdom of the under 30 crowd. I also remember when I was that age and thought I had all the answers, but life has a way of correcting that mistake for you.

They have this wonderful ideology that is great in theory, very utopian, but not practical when applied in real life. They spend most of their time buried in a mostly superficial, digital world, taking selfies, carrying an inflated sense of self-worth and coddled by the modern "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. The sum total giving them the unwarranted belief that they are owed something and should be taken care of, and live a life that is devoid of anything that may hurt their feelings or cause discomfort. The target market for the EU, and in turn the EU serves as the figure that can give them the comfort they feel they deserve.

For the most part, the younger generation is completely content with life being on auto pilot. This plays right into the hands of the elites. They take control, they have the power, they enslave the population through debt, all the while giving you the false sense that they are only there to help, and they hope you are too stupid and distracted to realize it.

• Options
    I've just seen a load of red tape blowing in the wind, seems it is from Belgium.
    manchester 00
    manchester 09
    belfast 2010
    hyde park 2010
    manchester 2012 1&2
    amsterdam 2012 1&2
    EV manchester 2012
    EV london 31/7/12
    brooklyn 2013 1&2
    milano,leeds,milton keynes 2014

monkey driven call this living
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    The leave campaign based its campaign on fear and lies. There is no denying that. As someone posted earlier Farage has already stated the 350 million will not go to the NHS. It was a lie which he is now calling a mistake.

It would be romantic to believe that the UK regained its sovereignty, its independence or that it broke from world government. Instead, the leave campaign preyed upon racist immigration issues and lies. Why do you think the people on here that support Trump also support Brexit? The similarities are, quite frankly, shocking.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Shawshank said:

The differences between the younger and older generations is what gives me concern for the future. It was most evident in this vote. The older generation was brought up mostly with a strong work ethic, self suffiency, and lacked the belief they were somehow owed something just for being alive. They desired for their country to stand on its own legs, as well it should, and not be mired in the economic woes of the EU as a whole.

The younger generation...in a VERY generalized sense... is the exact opposite, and is mostly clueless on how life really works. For some imexplicable reason, the media tends to over sell the vast wisdom of the under 30 crowd. I also remember when I was that age and thought I had all the answers, but life has a way of correcting that mistake for you.

They have this wonderful ideology that is great in theory, very utopian, but not practical when applied in real life. They spend most of their time buried in a mostly superficial, digital world, taking selfies, carrying an inflated sense of self-worth and coddled by the modern "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. The sum total giving them the unwarranted belief that they are owed something and should be taken care of, and live a life that is devoid of anything that may hurt their feelings or cause discomfort. The target market for the EU, and in turn the EU serves as the figure that can give them the comfort they feel they deserve.

For the most part, the younger generation is completely content with life being on auto pilot. This plays right into the hands of the elites. They take control, they have the power, they enslave the population through debt, all the while giving you the false sense that they are only there to help, and they hope you are too stupid and distracted to realize it.

Hey you, get off my lawn!
    Seriously though, boomers have had everything come easier than the generation before and after, but because young people take selfies everyone wants to forget that all a boomer had to do was graduate high school and get an entry level job and it would be enough to own a home and and raise a family.
    Talk of entitlement from that generation is as myopic as it possibly could be.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Between Hillary being the next POTUS and bans of kettles and toasters I don't know what is real anymore when I read it.
  • Options

Between Hillary being the next POTUS and bans of kettles and toasters I don't know what is real anymore when I read it.

hehehehe ... here in Ontario our Liberal government will get wind of this and new toaster regulations will be in place by fall, and to enforce these regulations they'll create another level of bureaucracy and hire another batch of bureaucrats.

• Options
    ^^^
    But first they will have to have a meeting to discuss this and produce a study of the impact which will then be followed by another meeting on how to enforce.
  • Options

^^^
    But first they will have to have a meeting to discuss this and produce a study of the impact which will then be followed by another meeting on how to enforce.

Yes you are correct they will set up a committee comprised of sub-committees to oversee toaster regulations ... they will meet the 1st Monday of January every year, be paid a generous salary of $130 000/year plus benefits and a generous pension and of course the golden hand shake in case you find the job so stressful you must vacate your position, yup thats pretty much sums how things work here in Ontario...like the European Union being run by Brussels we are run by Toronto ... hmmm maybe the liberals here are copying the EU handbook.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Brexit: Increase in racist attacks after EU referendum
    Violence, intimidation and calls of "Go home" directed at minorities from Europeans in England to non-white Britons.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/brexit-increase-racist-attacks-eu-referendum-160628045317215.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/28/campaign-bigotry-racist-britain-leave-brexit