Options

European Union vote 2016

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    edited June 2016
    PJ_ROCKS said:

your 401k goes bye bye

Exactly. If you think Brexit or Trump are a good idea, check your 401k or real estate value today.

When the the rich lose value, what's next? Their businesses cut jobs so they can buy another yacht.

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    PJ_ROCKS said:

Somebody please explain to this American....

What were the Pros?
    What were the Cons?
    What changes will occur?

your 401k goes bye bye
    And ya know....

That's about all that needs to be said, at this point.

UGHH....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736

PJ_ROCKS said:

What were the Pros?
    What were the Cons?
    What changes will occur?

your 401k goes bye bye
    And ya know....

That's about all that needs to be said, at this point.

UGHH....

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,423

What were the Pros?
    What were the Cons?
    What changes will occur?

Go read the many many descriptions on line
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816

What were the Pros?
    What were the Cons?
    What changes will occur?

I have.
    I was hoping to hear some opinions of some of the folks here, who actually had a vote in all this.
    Just curious to as what some folks here had to say.

But yeah, I have spent the last few hours doing my homework.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Im glad that the US wasnt the first off the cliff into Idiocracy. Congrats UK. We will see you guys at the bottom in November
  • Options
    basically, dumb, scared old people voted for Trump to leave the EU

young people who have a stake in the future voted to remain in the EU
  • Options
    edited June 2016

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    It's at least good to know the elites don't win at everything. We'll see what happens. I'm not worried about the stock market. It goes up and down all the time.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The thing that bothers me is this is another example of the rising tide of right wing lunacy in the world. The Brexit has it's pros, cons, and unknowns, but it was pushed through on Trump-style fearmongering and scapegoating.
    I have this paranoid feeling in my bones that the world is going to step into more and more foolish wars over culture.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    Here's the best way to make America great again...

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    I voted to remain and disappointed at the result. However, people now being really negative about how bad things will be and panicking will do no good. Hopefully things will calm down a bit. BTW it is a little known fact but the result is not legally binding and the Government can overturn the decision but seems not very likely.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,952
    Division is never the right course.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Spags said:

Division is never the right course.

I respectfully disagree and will continue to raise our flag on July 4th :)
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    edited June 2016

It's at least good to know the elites don't win at everything. We'll see what happens. I'm not worried about the stock market. It goes up and down all the time.

Exactly..this is when you double down on your retirement investments. Buy!
    Post edited by Noload on
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    newy777 said:

This is not a vote against European citizens. It is standing up against being dictated to by unelected cronies who have control over the population. This EU concept is fundamentally flawed in its current state and the rise of more extreme groups you refer to are just a symptom of the anti democratic EU. This vote will bring hope to an impoverished EU. No doubt there will be volatility in the short or medium term but there is a price to pay for standing up for democracy. I have studied this for years so try to forget the anti immigration issue and focus on why things are the way they are can be done to fix it. If the EU is serious about its future they must start listening to the people and certainly this unsustainable system must be dramatically reformed. I sincerely think it is a victory for good though it doesn't help being labeled anti immigrant. I now have hope for Europe which I admit was non existent before this referendum. I really hope that Dan Hannan will become PM now as he is positive, passionate about democracy and a uniting figure who rejects any negative immigration sentiment. Good luck Europe and Britain.

Absolutely 100% dead on. Thankfully this is the first death twitch of global government, and if I was a betting man, I'd go all in on France, Germany and Italy joining the party at some point in the near future.

Global elites want everyone under their control. That is what's best for the banks, corporations and the power hungry. It's not about some faux Utopia that people think exists, because they are too blind to see the reality. The only thing disappointing about the vote is that it was so close. It should have been a blowout.

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    ^^^agreed ... Democracy won the day. Good for the UK.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,952
    From Sadiq Khan:
    "I want to send a clear message to every European resident living in London - you are very welcome here. As a city, we are grateful for the enormous contribution you make, and that will not change as a result of this referendum.
    There are nearly one million European citizens living in London today, and they bring huge benefits to our city - working hard, paying taxes, working in our public services and contributing to our civic and cultural life.
    We all have a responsibility to now seek to heal the divisions that have emerged throughout this campaign - and to focus on what unites us, rather than that which divides us".
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    It must be quite frustrating for British people here to read the comments of people from other countries (mostly America) saying how great this is for democracy etc. Not so great for those who will now have to face the consequences, starting with an inevitable recession.

I must admit that in my head I found myself kind of hoping they'd vote to leave but this was in complete ignorance of any of the facts or potential consequences. It was simply born out of a distrust of central European control and also a notion that this could be an alternative route to Scottish independence. I also felt safe in having these thoughts, thinking 'sure it doesn't matter, of course they'll vote to stay in'.

Now, I feel perhaps such thoughts were quite foolish and that the British may soon come to greatly regret this decision, if they do not already...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870

What were the Pros?
    What were the Cons?
    What changes will occur?

I have.
    I was hoping to hear some opinions of some of the folks here, who actually had a vote in all this.
    Just curious to as what some folks here had to say.

But yeah, I have spent the last few hours doing my homework.

every british expat I know is mortified at this vote.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018

It must be quite frustrating for British people here to read the comments of people from other countries (mostly America) saying how great this is for democracy etc. Not so great for those who will now have to face the consequences, starting with an inevitable recession.

I must admit that in my head I found myself kind of hoping they'd vote to leave but this was in complete ignorance of any of the facts or potential consequences. It was simply born out of a distrust of central European control and also a notion that this could be an alternative route to Scottish independence. I also felt safe in having these thoughts, thinking 'sure it doesn't matter, of course they'll vote to stay in'.

Now, I feel perhaps such thoughts were quite foolish and that the British may soon come to greatly regret this decision, if they do not already...

People from other countries on here are always commenting on the affairs of the U.S., so what's the difference? You can be from a foreign country and actually understand the issues at hand and have a valid opinion, no matter what country is the subject.

Of course there will be some pains initially. No one is under the guise that this will be an easy separation. The country was surgically connected to the whole of Europe and decided to break away. However, it's important to note that the short term economic turmoil that is bound to occur is a much smaller price to pay than the toll that is usually required when a country declares independence.
  • Options
    Shawshank said:

People from other countries on here are always commenting on the affairs of the U.S., so what's the difference? You can be from a foreign country and actually understand the issues at hand and have a valid opinion, no matter what country is the subject.

Of course there will be some pains initially. No one is under the guise that this will be an easy separation. The country was surgically connected to the whole of Europe and decided to break away. However, it's important to note that the short term economic turmoil that is bound to occur is a much smaller price to pay than the toll that is usually required when a country declares independence.
    Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions. I would never, ever dispute that :smile: Just commenting that some opinions may be rubbing salt into open wounds today

Also, this cannot be fairly compared to a country gaining independence. Britain has always been independant and self-governed, just as my country is.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    This doesn't seem like a good idea to me at all.
    I wonder if Cameron is shitting his pants today? He really fucked up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Well he has resigned, so I imagine he's looking forward to a holiday right now and letting someone else clean up the mess....
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Well he has resigned, so I imagine he's looking forward to a holiday right now and letting someone else clean up the mess....
    Oh! I hadn't heard that news yet! Wow.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    Him resigining was predicted if the vote was to leave
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    We're looking at Boris Johnson as the next prime minister, who would have thought we might see the day?
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    rgambs said:

The thing that bothers me is this is another example of the rising tide of right wing lunacy in the world. The Brexit has it's pros, cons, and unknowns, but it was pushed through on Trump-style fearmongering and scapegoating.
    I have this paranoid feeling in my bones that the world is going to step into more and more foolish wars over culture.

You just don't get it. It isn't lunacy. This is people wanting to have a say in how their lives are governed. At some point you will have to wake up to the fact that the voters you disparage are in fact free minded people who can think and make decisions for themselves. This is a repudiation of elitism plain and simple. An elitism that so many of you have unwittingly become part of.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Him resigining was predicted if the vote was to leave

Honestly, this story has barely been on the radar for me until 2 days ago. I don't live under a rock, so I am pretty sure there has just been very little news coverage about it here until a day or two before the vote happened, so while i know some about the wider implications to Britain and the EU (and Canada), i know basically nothing about the internal politics surrounding the whole thing. I only learned yesterday that Cameron lead the charge to stay in fact. I can only assume that the Canadian media decided that there wasn't a big story to report until an decision was made, I don't know.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

You just don't get it. It isn't lunacy. This is people wanting to have a say in how their lives are governed. At some point you will have to wake up to the fact that the voters you disparage are in fact free minded people who can think and make decisions for themselves. This is a repudiation of elitism plain and simple. An elitism that so many of you have unwittingly become part of.
    Free minded people lol

Rubes that are easily preyed upon.
    Mention immigration and terrorism and their free minds go blank and their jaws slack.

I guess the rising tide of anti-Semitism in Europe is just people being free minded then, I must be a fool for thinking they are rubes divided by fearmongering.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?