• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Him resigining was predicted if the vote was to leave

Honestly, this story has barely been on the radar for me until 2 days ago. I don't live under a rock, so I am pretty sure there has just been very little news coverage about it here until a day or two before the vote happened, so while i know some about the wider implications to Britain and the EU (and Canada), i know basically nothing about the internal politics surrounding the whole thing. I only learned yesterday that Cameron lead the charge to stay in fact. I can only assume that the Canadian media decided that there wasn't a big story to report until an decision was made, I don't know.
    I'm no expert but we already have a trade agreement with the EU, so getting a trade agreement with the U.K. should happen, but who cares if we get a free trade agreement with the U.K., not like these trade agreements have benefited the little guy ... To me democracy won the day, the world needs less politicians, less governmemrnt and less bureacrats...
    I am not in favour of these trade agreements. None of them seem to benefit Canada.
    International trade agreements are not designed or intended to benefit the working class... they are 100% purely for the benefit of the ruling elite business class

That's not conspiracy, that's not a stretch, that's just obvious
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    newy777 said:

Amazing speech about the demographic issue at stake.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzNj-hH8LkY

I've never heard of this guy before watching this. He makes several good points. I'm interested in hearing anyone opposed to the UK leaving the EU, argue against this.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Is the term "Brexit" just a combination of Britain and exit? I hear the news saying "the brexit."
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Many articles like this one.)

TIME Magazine
    These Brexit Voters Think They Have Made a Horrible Mistake
    Tara John @tarajohn 10:16 AM ET

"I didn’t think my vote was going to matter too much"

Some Brexit voters are regretting their choice after U.K.’s momentous decision to leave the E.U. on Thursday, which caused the British pound to hit a 30-year low.

On the BBC, a Brexit voter introduced as Adam said that he was “shocked” that Britain voted to Leave. “I did not think that was going to happen, I didn’t think my vote was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to remain,” he said, adding that the resignation of U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron has “blown me away,” resulting in a magnified “period of uncertainty.”

From Manchester Airport, another voter, Mandy, told ITV news that she is disappointed with her choice. “This morning I woke up and the reality did actually hit me, if I had the opportunity to vote again it would be to stay,” she told ITV.

Others took to Twitter to air their grievances

The Boy El Pablo @ELIJAH_XVII
    Lol starting to regret my vote #EURefResults
    6:43 AM - 24 Jun 2016
    9 9 Retweets 1 1 like

Tom Walker @thomaswalker93
    Urm I think I kinda regret my vote, I had no real reason to pick what I did!!
    12:06 AM - 24 Jun 2016
    15 15 Retweets 6 6 likes

khembe @rambogiblet
    I personally voted leave believing these lies and I regret it more than anything, I feel genuinely robbed of my vote
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Noload said:

It would be an honor to have my thread moved :)

You can move it. Just go to edit and move the location to AMT.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Are they implying that they voted to leave? These are not bright people if so.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Damn, I'm glad I'm not in the Twitverse to see this shite. Really sad to not think your vote through, let alone devalue it.

(love the one prefaced with "lol"...really not so funny)
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    what are the odds we get a do-over election?

i have a feeling that some of the pro brexit people might have a change of heart in the not too distant future.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited June 2016
    Now's the time to shop on amazon.co.uk I guess.

It is super frustrating to hear about these people who regret their leave vote. Why don't people take voting more seriously? It's like they aren't quite connected to reality or something.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Lesson: YOUNG PEOPLE, GO VOTE!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Wow, that's crazy.
    Baby boomers at it again.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

what are the odds we get a do-over election?

i have a feeling that some of the pro brexit people might have a change of heart in the not too distant future.

No, they can only get away with the do-over in Ireland (google Nice referendum!) :tongue:
  • Options
    Final BowFinal Bow flying Posts: 486
    a pretty sad day today :-(
    Jun 05, 1992; Nov 04, 1996; Jun 09, 2000; Jun 26, 2000; Aug 29 2006, Sep 16, 2006; Sep 23, 2006; Sep 25, 2006; Sep 30, 2006; Jun 12, 2007; Jun 13, 2007; Jun 18, 2007; Jun 21, 2007; Jun 26, 2007; Jun 28, 2007; Jun 17, 2008; Jun 19, 2008; Jun 20; 2008; Jun 22, 2008; Jun 24, 2008; Jun 25, 2008; Aug 13, 2009; Aug 15; 2009; Aug 18, 2009; Oct 06, 2009; Oct 07, 2009; Oct 09, 2009; Jun 22; 2010; Jun 23, 2010; Jun 25, 2010; Jun 30, 2010; Sept 03, 2011; Sept 04, 2011; Sept 07, 2011; Sept 14, 2011; Sept 15, 2011; Jun 20 2012; Jun 21 2012; Jun 26 2012; Jun 27 2012; Jul 02 2012; Jul 04 2012; Jul 05 2012; Jul 07 2012; Jul 09 2012; Jul 10 2012; Oct 15 2013; Oct 16 2013; Oct 18 2013; Oct 19 2013; Oct 21 2013; Oct 22 2013; Jun 16 2014; Jun 17 2014; Jun 20 2014; Jun 22 2014; Jun 25 2014; Jun 26 2014; Jul 11 2014; Nov 14 2015; Nov 17 2015; Nov 20 2015; Nov 22 2015; Apr 16 2016; Apr 18 2016; Apr 20 2016; Apr 21 2016
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    As someone who voted to remain I find it quite difficult to explain how saddened I am by the vote to leave. I believe it to be a short sighted and isolationist move which was fueled by a storm of xenophobic lies disseminated by the leave side and the genuine pressures that lots of our public services are feeling after several years of austerity. Couple that with the apparent inability to make a positive case for remain and you were left with the perfect storm. Everybody always needs a scapegoat and ours was the people coming to Britain to work and make a better life for themselves. As a friend put it earlier: Fuck off all the young fit healthy working age people who want to come here, welcome back the old, sick, sit on a sun lounger all day expats who are going to piss and moan about the fucking weather. I don't begin to pretend that I think the EU is a perfect institution as it really does need some over-arching reform but surely it is better to be a strong advocate for that change and remain within the EU instead of sitting on the sidelines pretending that Britannia still rules the waves and insisting that we have some kind of God given right to access the single market whilst not contributing to it at all. Yes people will still trade with us but with much more hinderence. Yes we can still travel but probably not with the same ease we have enjoyed for the past 15-20 years and in all likely hood the UK will now dissolve into it's constituent parts. Scotland is already beginning to push for a second independence referendum. Again though this is just my one take on it. Sure as shit going to make buying pearl jam vinyl a hell of a lot more expensive over the next few months/years.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    my2hands said:

Spags said:

From Sadiq Khan:
    "I want to send a clear message to every European resident living in London - you are very welcome here. As a city, we are grateful for the enormous contribution you make, and that will not change as a result of this referendum.
    There are nearly one million European citizens living in London today, and they bring huge benefits to our city - working hard, paying taxes, working in our public services and contributing to our civic and cultural life.
    We all have a responsibility to now seek to heal the divisions that have emerged throughout this campaign - and to focus on what unites us, rather than that which divides us".

I am not too familiar with the UK's economic and social statuses. Here in the USA the middle class is shrinking significantly and I suspect in the UK it may be the same way. When I hear that London doesn't like the Brexit I think about the wealthy people living in one of the most expensive cities in the world who get rich off the current structure being inconvenienced, and that the hardworking bus driver or police officer making the minimum are probably going to keep making the minimum because you can't pay them much lower. The French and Germans will still want UK to buy their stuff so they can't squeeze the UK too much on trade, so at the end of the day I am not sure how major this Brexit will be in the long-term, except for providing more autonomy on political/social decisions to the UK than they held previously.

At the end of the day I won't cry for any wealthy people from London who get rich at the expense of the working man, and am surprised that more on this board aren't taking the same view. But, I don't pretend to know a lot about the situation but just know that the global elite wanted them to stay and the global elite at the end of the day cause most of the world's problems and setup the financial system to be the way it is currently.
    I can dig it

The world has survived this long... what's all the doom & gloom? Something tells me everything will be just fine

Americans would NEVER agree to a North American Union... so honestly we shouldn't judge one way or another
    Good ... This Canadian never wants to see a North American Union idea ever presented ... No thank you, we have enough politicians and bureaucrats fucking things up, we do not need another level of bureaucracy.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    i wish Byrnzie could chime in on this.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    lukin2006 said:

my2hands said:

Spags said:

From Sadiq Khan:
    "I want to send a clear message to every European resident living in London - you are very welcome here. As a city, we are grateful for the enormous contribution you make, and that will not change as a result of this referendum.
    There are nearly one million European citizens living in London today, and they bring huge benefits to our city - working hard, paying taxes, working in our public services and contributing to our civic and cultural life.
    We all have a responsibility to now seek to heal the divisions that have emerged throughout this campaign - and to focus on what unites us, rather than that which divides us".

I am not too familiar with the UK's economic and social statuses. Here in the USA the middle class is shrinking significantly and I suspect in the UK it may be the same way. When I hear that London doesn't like the Brexit I think about the wealthy people living in one of the most expensive cities in the world who get rich off the current structure being inconvenienced, and that the hardworking bus driver or police officer making the minimum are probably going to keep making the minimum because you can't pay them much lower. The French and Germans will still want UK to buy their stuff so they can't squeeze the UK too much on trade, so at the end of the day I am not sure how major this Brexit will be in the long-term, except for providing more autonomy on political/social decisions to the UK than they held previously.

At the end of the day I won't cry for any wealthy people from London who get rich at the expense of the working man, and am surprised that more on this board aren't taking the same view. But, I don't pretend to know a lot about the situation but just know that the global elite wanted them to stay and the global elite at the end of the day cause most of the world's problems and setup the financial system to be the way it is currently.
    I can dig it

The world has survived this long... what's all the doom & gloom? Something tells me everything will be just fine

Americans would NEVER agree to a North American Union... so honestly we shouldn't judge one way or another
    Good ... This Canadian never wants to see a North American Union idea ever presented ... No thank you, we have enough politicians and bureaucrats fucking things up, we do not need another level of bureaucracy.
    I've never even heard of this idea before. Is it a real idea??
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I read that this vote isn't legally binding.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

Could MPs block an EU exit?
    Could the necessary legislation pass the Commons, given that a lot of MPs - all SNP and Lib Dems, nearly all Labour and many Conservatives - were in favour of staying?
    The referendum result is not legally binding - Parliament still has to pass the laws that will get Britain out of the 28 nation bloc, starting with the repeal of the 1972 European Communities Act.
    The withdrawal agreement also has to be ratified by Parliament - the House of Lords and/or the Commons could vote against ratification, according to a House of Commons library report.
    In practice, Conservative MPs who voted to remain in the EU would be whipped to vote with the government. Any who defied the whip would have to face the wrath of voters at the next general election.
    One scenario that could see the referendum result overturned, is if MPs forced a general election and a party campaigned on a promise to keep Britain in the EU, got elected and then claimed that the election mandate topped the referendum one.
    Two-thirds of MPs would have to vote for a general election to be held before the next scheduled one in 2020.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I read that the government can still stop it... although given Cameron's announcement, I'm assuming that's unlikely. But who knows. This whole thing seems pretty fucking weird to me, if people who voted are regretting their votes the morning after, lol. It's like they all got drunk and did something they shouldn't have, and are now waking up with their hangovers and their regrets.... which is, actually, pretty British of them. =)
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Is the term "Brexit" just a combination of Britain and exit? I hear the news saying "the brexit."

Yep. It is a portmanteau.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Wow, nice use of portmanteau, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow, nice use of portmanteau, lol.
    I thought that word was a type of wine.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2016
    I will say this...

When all of the political, financial, and media elites are opposed to something and say this is a bad thing while spewing fear and gloom.... it tells me the people of Britain made the right choice
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

:r

igotid88 said:

It seems like mostly everybody is upset about this. And I'm like. Did you vote?

Apparently the turnout was 70%. The other 30% should be ashamed of themselves.
    Not only do people have the right to vote, but that also means they have the right NOT to vote. An uneducated vote is far worse than someone choosing not to vote.
  • Options
    Why do you guys care where this thread is? Put it in lost dogs for all I care.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Not only do people have the right to vote, but that also means they have the right NOT to vote. An uneducated vote is far worse than someone choosing not to vote.
    I would agree for normal elections, but for a vote of this magnitude, I agree with PJ.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

He's would blame Israel.

I'm kidding. Byrnzie always had an interesting take on these things.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I didn't say I thought they should vote without being informed. That is a stupid thing to do and would also be shameful. Shame on them for not voting if they are informed, and shame on them for not voting and being uninformed as well.
  • Options

He's would blame Israel.

I'm kidding. Byrnzie always had an interesting take on these things.
    But he still probably would manage to blame Israel.