Options

Terrorist Shooting In Orlando, FL

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    BS44325 said:

He may have acted alone, or he may have been tied to a terrorist group, we don't yet. Why try to force a narrative?

Forcing a narrative? Did you even read any of this from the link above:

"Omar Mateen, whose bloody siege inside a packed Orlando gay nightclub ended when SWAT teams stormed the building and killed him, was a radical Muslim who followed Marcus Dwayne Robertson, a law enforcement source said.

“It is no coincidence that this happened in Orlando,” said a law enforcement source familiar with Robertson’s history of recruiting terrorists and inciting violence. “Mateen was enrolled in [Robertson’s online] Fundamental Islamic Knowledge Seminary.”

Robertson's school may not have been the only source of Mateen's spiritual guidance. The gunman was at the Islamic Center of Fort Pierce with Imam Shafiq Rahman two days before the nightclub attack, according to The Washington Post. That mosque was frequented by American-born suicide bomber Monar abu Salha, who blew himself up in Syria in 2014, and the two knew each other..."

Whether he acted on his own is completely irrelevant to the narrative that already exists!

Did you even read your link that cites unnamed sources? Whether he acted alone or not is completely relevant to the definition of terrorism.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    ban all Islamic people from entering the US.

Godfather.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

mickeyrat said:

his father said "he got angry when he saw two men kissing" islamaphobia ......
    also reports of threats on Florida prior to the killing.....time to wake up kiddies.

Godfather.

wake up to what?
    you have to ask ? islam has waged war against the American people and pretending that only a small part of islam is responsible or radical is a mistake..but you folks believe as you wish and keep blaming these killings on guns and gun laws (bullshit).....only on the train..

Godfather.

nearly all mass shootings in the US have been perpetuated by white people.

if islam had waged war on america you'd be dead already. we'd all be dead. it's really that simple.

we're all wide awake.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited June 2016
    This is complicated. It isn't as simple as "ISIS" "turrer" and all that GW style idiocy.

The man was a racist bigot, and there are indications that those beliefs could be more, a factor than his religion and extremism.
    He wasn't an America hater, or a hater of Western society. He was a selfie taking, NYPD shirt wearing, social media using, fucked up dude who seemed to be at least as much akin to Dylan Roof as to a jihadist.
    Further evidence that easy access to guns which are so capable of wanton destruction is a bad idea in a large society with such fucked up people.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this is the result of indoctrination of ignorant people ... it leads to mass shootings, global warming and discriminatory bathroom laws ...
  • Options
    check this out, GF: middle eastern people don't even make the cut:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

Godfather.

Again that particular policy would not have done any good in the the Orlando shooting. However, lets go with what you have stated here.....where does it end as with the pro gun folks there will be a slippery slope. Who's next Hispanics, blacks or Asians that will never be the solution.....simple to say however a difficult policy to implement.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Godfather.

nein!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,439
    I dont see how politicians cannot come together and find a middle ground? I completely understand that law abiding citizens should have the right to own a gun, but why do we allow people on the FBI watch list to obtain guns legally in this county? Question two, why on earth do we allow the average citizen to legally purchase military style assault rifles? I am fully aware that people will always be able to obtain firearms ILLEGALLY and do horrible things with them, but if he did not have an AR-15 im confident in saying that the death toll would not have been as horrible as it was.
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,554
    edited June 2016

Godfather.

I won't be the first nor the last to tell you and everyone else that says what you posted....

He was an American citizen. Born and raised in America.
    Just like you
    Just like Dylan Roof
    Just like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold
    Just like Christopher Sean Harper-Mercer
    Just like Elliott Rodger
    Just like Adam Lanza
    Just like Aaron Alexis
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829

Godfather.

You earlier indicated that talking about banning guns was the wrong response; now keeping Muslims from entering is the right response.

But he did not "enter." He was born here. He purchased the guns almost as easily as you and I purchase candy. At least in this case, your solution does not help. But the opposing solution? Who knows; though we'll never find out.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I find it really rich (and disgusting) when our resident homophobe comes on here and uses this event to push they're anti-Islam agenda. I'm not buying it.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Godfather.

better ban all europeans,iislamic ,ispanic,afro american,asian from usa..
    oh wait..noone left there now!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Godfather.

I won't be the first nor the last to tell you and everyone else that says what you posted....

He was an American citizen. Born and raised in America.
    Just like you
    Just like Dylan Roof
    Just like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold
    Just like Christopher Sean Harper-Mercer
    Just like Elliott Rodger
    Just like Adam Lanza
    Just like Aaron Alexis
    Hall of Famers.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I echo the sentiments of Michael Moore in Twitter today. He said something along the lines of "I've already said everything that can be said on this subject".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

http://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/

thanks for the info but if you guys can't see the problem with muslims in our country and around the world then you either don't want to see it or you just don't care, the LGBT fought "islamaphobia" what do you think the people at that bar think now ? do think they are talking about needless fear brought on by the media ?

Godfather.

• Options

Godfather.

nein!
    that was good.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730

Godfather.

Enough mass shootings are done by crazy white men (Sandy Hook, Colorado Movie theater) to negate your premise....

BUT......

I'd be for a ban on immigration all together. From all countries. We're full.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Godfather.

You earlier indicated that talking about banning guns was the wrong response; now keeping Muslims from entering is the right response.

But he did not "enter." He was born here. He purchased the guns almost as easily as you and I purchase candy. At least in this case, your solution does not help. But the opposing solution? Who knows; though we'll never find out.
    and wasn't he on the FBI's radar or on a no fly list ? and still passed a background check ????

Godfather.

• Options

OnWis97 said:

Godfather.

and wasn't he on the FBI's radar or on a no fly list ? and still passed a background check ????

Godfather.

you can thank the NRA for that ...
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

OnWis97 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Good think people on the no fly list can buy an AR 15, right? 'MERICA!
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    I would like to see gun owners and Second Amendment enthusiasts take a lead and be actively working to make sure that dangerous gun owners are not in their number. I don't know why they neglect doing this because clearly it puts the rest of us at serious risk. If you don't want the government to pass laws that would restrict your gun-owning rights, take charge and figure out how to prevent crazies from getting guns and using them on us. Then you'd be heroes and just maybe, we'd have fewer of these events...saving lives. Come up with ideas; get an activist conversation going and get it done...please. Do it yourselves.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    blueandwhiteblueandwhite Posts: 662
    The level of hatred and bigotry in this thread is astounding. Apparently it's okay to lump Muslims together into a single collective; a group of hateful murderous monsters. The overwhelming majority of Muslims are not extremists, terrorists or killers; they are just people who want to live peacefully like the rest of us. Heck, there are even people trying to link the killer's political affiliation with his crime as if it somehow implies that Democrats or Democrat supporters are implicitly connected to this hate crime.

Ironically, the pro-gun crowd always distance themselves from any mass shootings claiming that they are different from the gunman yet at the same time they have difficulty allowing a Muslim to do the same thing. Why should every Muslim be forced to take ownership of every act of terrorism committed by an Islamic extremist if gun owners don't have to do the same for every murder committed by a fellow gun owner? The whole thing seems hypocritical to me.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    edited June 2016

I would be interested in understanding what the stats would look like without government intervention. I.e., how many terrorists plots are thwarted by the US government in a year? It sucks that the government tracks everything we do in the name of preventing terrorism (they just want the power though at the end of the day).
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    it's mind boggling how much power the NRA/gun lobby has and how they use incidents like this to further their agenda ... the NRA solution to Orlando is to make sure everyone in the crowd has a gun ...
  • Options

thanks for the info but if you guys can't see the problem with muslims in our country and around the world then you either don't want to see it or you just don't care, the LGBT fought "islamaphobia" what do you think the people at that bar think now ? do think they are talking about needless fear brought on by the media ?

Godfather.

there is just as much a muslim problem here as there is an american problem everywhere else. think about that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

The level of hatred and bigotry in this thread is astounding. Apparently it's okay to lump Muslims together into a single collective; a group of hateful murderous monsters. The overwhelming majority of Muslims are not extremists, terrorists or killers; they are just people who want to live peacefully like the rest of us. Heck, there are even people trying to link the killer's political affiliation with his crime as if it somehow implies that Democrats or Democrat supporters are implicitly connected to this hate crime.

Ironically, the pro-gun crowd always distance themselves from any mass shootings claiming that they are different from the gunman yet at the same time they have difficulty allowing a Muslim to do the same thing. Why should every Muslim be forced to take ownership of every act of terrorism committed by an Islamic extremist if gun owners don't have to do the same for every murder committed by a fellow gun owner? The whole thing seems hypocritical to me.

excellent post. :clap:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,209
    Kat said:

I would like to see gun owners and Second Amendment enthusiasts take a lead and be actively working to make sure that dangerous gun owners are not in their number. I don't know why they neglect doing this because clearly it puts the rest of us at serious risk. If you don't want the government to pass laws that would restrict your gun-owning rights, take charge and figure out how to prevent crazies from getting guns and using them on us. Then you'd be heroes and just maybe, we'd have fewer of these events...saving lives. Come up with ideas; get an activist conversation going and get it done...please. Do it yourselves.

well said Kat. Unfortunately every time something like this happens the gun companies, enthusiasts and lobbyists circle their wagons and get even more defensive of their current stand.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

OnWis97 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

you can thank the NRA for that ...
    no you can thank the government for not acting on a lead, the NRA ???? really ? HAHAHHAHAHHA !!!!!

Godfather.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,554

OnWis97 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

NO he was not on the no -fly list
    YES he was checked out by the FBI but they found no reason to go any further in their investigations of him
    YES because he wasn't on any watch list he passed a background check. Just like you would.