Options

Terrorist Shooting In Orlando, FL

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801

mrussel1 said:

question: if your mother, sister or any loved one said she was marrying a muslim and flying to Pakistan to meet the family, wouldn't you be the least bit concerned ? my friends daughter did just that and it did not go well in fact her husbands father hated the white American girl his son married then would let her leave the house or the country, if my friend didn't have friends in government she may have never come home...you don't want to ask him about muslims.

Godfather.

I would be concerned, of course, because of the treatment of women in that country. But that has zero to do with deporting American citizens who are Muslims, which is what you floated yesterday.
    how else would we get a handle on the terrorism committed by "home grown muslims" ?

Godfather.

The same way we stamp out terrorism by Dylan Roof, the Colorado shooter, Timothy McVeigh and the Bundy clan. Intelligence, surveillance when supported by legal orders, and 'see something, say something'. There is NOTHING that gives us the right to take away the rights, deport or detain citizens. If we learned nothing else from the Japanese internment camps, let's learn that.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,448

question: if your mother, sister or any loved one said she was marrying a muslim and flying to Pakistan to meet the family, wouldn't you be the least bit concerned ? my friends daughter did just that and it did not go well in fact her husbands father hated the white American girl his son married then would let her leave the house or the country, if my friend didn't have friends in government she may have never come home...you don't want to ask him about muslims.

Godfather.

What does that have to do with the AMERICAN born shooter in Orlando ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    take look at this article it's interesting.
    https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/american-attacks.aspx

Godfather.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,087

Shawshank said:

My question is, why does everyone appear to be so protective of islam, and going the extra mile to not offend muslims?

I've been thinking the same thing actually. Like the notion of surveillance of mosques. I'm all for it. Would there be muslims that take offense? Sure. And they should be. But sometimes a few bad apples can spoil the bunch. I told this to my dad and he's like "But it's against the law" to which I replied, "Yeah....so what?"

And let's survey catholic rectories while we're at it.
    it has nothing to do with Islam specifically. it's about people painting one group with one gigantic and ignorant brush. as much as I loathe any organized religion, I would defend christianity the same way. the only time I go after it is to point out the hypocrisy in christians telling others that (insert religion here) is one of violence and should be feared.

read the fucking bible. read history. christianity thrived not through door to door annoyances; it grew from oppression and mass murder.

does anyone here go around saying all priests are child molesters? NOPE. never seen it.
    I don't disagree with this at all. Not sure why ya quoted me here.
    you agreed with Shawshank who asked "why is everyone so protective of Islam" and that we should be monitoring mosques.
    Well yeah but I don't think equates to me painting one group with one gigantic and ignorant brush. If mosques were surveyed, maybe all the FBI overhears is a peaceful group of people worshipping in whatever way they worship. Or maybe they hear the plotting of a terrorist attack. I say "maybe" to each of them because I really don't know. I've never been to a mosque.
    the question was asked. you said "I was thinking about this too lately", so I answered both of you.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Godfather.

yeah, because this doesn't happen in other cultures. Jesus.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

take look at this article it's interesting.
    https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/american-attacks.aspx

Godfather.

it's not interesting at all. it's completely and utterly biased. AND it shows that americans should be way more afraid of other armed americans, not muslims.

an iraqi website could make the same list of american terroism on their soil, with the list of the dead being thousands of pages long.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

I would be concerned, of course, because of the treatment of women in that country. But that has zero to do with deporting American citizens who are Muslims, which is what you floated yesterday.
    how else would we get a handle on the terrorism committed by "home grown muslims" ?

Godfather.

How about all the terrorism committed by "home grown christians"?
    Should we deport all christians?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,747
    edited June 2016

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

How about all the terrorism committed by "home grown christians"?
    Should we deport all christians?
    Yeah, we should first get all their names into a database so that they can be monitored, and then we should ship them off to.... Galilee I suppose. And no more Christians allowed in America either. Not even tourists. And who should head up this initiative? I would assume the Native Americans, of course.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

The same way we stamp out terrorism by Dylan Roof, the Colorado shooter, Timothy McVeigh and the Bundy clan. Intelligence, surveillance when supported by legal orders, and 'see something, say something'. There is NOTHING that gives us the right to take away the rights, deport or detain citizens. If we learned nothing else from the Japanese internment camps, let's learn that.
    Let's also learn that Islamic ideology is a problem. Please watch this...

https://youtu.be/xEMHKO5MC6c

The point this speaker is making is that these thoughts are mainstream. This is what everyone must comprehend and this is he ideology that must be confronted. With strength we must say this is not ok. No more being tolerant of the intolerant.
  • Options
    ^^^
    No one will watch this.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

The point this speaker is making is that these thoughts are mainstream. This is what everyone must comprehend and this is he ideology that must be confronted. With strength we must say this is not ok. No more being tolerant of the intolerant.
    And we need to be intolerant of the intolerant. You're not going to extinguish the largest religion in the world so you must marginalize extremism. That's the point.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

And we need to be intolerant of the intolerant. You're not going to extinguish the largest religion in the world so you must marginalize extremism. That's the point.
    The goal isn't to extinguish but to implement a reformation and this can't happen until we are at least willing to recognize the full depth of the problem.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

The goal isn't to extinguish but to implement a reformation and this can't happen until we are at least willing to recognize the full depth of the problem.
    Can we also implement reform for the radical christians?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    There are a couple questions I have that nobody can answer:

What is the scope and sequence of the Islamic expressions of outrage we have experienced this era? In other words, are we witnessing a few sporadic events... or are we witnessing the flames beginning to catch and things are only going to get worse?

What would worse look like?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

We have and it has worked.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I was asking my friend, who's a Bosnian Muslim, about the hijab the other day and I was saying to her how we find such aspects hard to understand. I think it's important to remember that we cannot judge all Muslims by the actions of a relatively tiny percentage, no matter how terrible the deeds. We talked a bit about the general perception of Islam and these were just some of her thoughts.

'Most muslims are decent, warm, peaceful people.. A few bad eggs...and the whole religion is typecast. We don't consider the extremists to be muslim for their actions are not justifiable. Sadly the media is to blame a lot i think.'
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,361
    edited June 2016

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Just to play devil's advocate for a second... Suppose that the US gave in to all the hate-filled propaganda being thrown around about deporting Muslims:

1. Where do you suggest 3 million people should go? Before you say "back to where they came from", remember you are also including American-born Muslims in this

2. How do you propose they get there? Will the US foot the bill for mass migration?

3. If (again, devil's advocate), all 3 million people are a danger to the rest of us, what gives the US the right to force that problem onto another country? "We have decided that these people are dangerous, they're your problem now. See ya!"

4. Who's next? Once the Muslims are all gone, who do you deport next? How many others have to go for you to create your perfect country?
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Just to play devil's advocate for a second... Suppose that the US gave in to all the hate-filled propaganda being thrown around about deporting Muslims:

1. Where do you suggest 3 million people should go? Before you say "back to where they came from", remember you are also including American-born Muslims in this

2. How do you propose they get there? Will the US foot the bill for mass migration?

3. If (again, devil's advocate), all 3 million people are a danger to the rest of us, what gives the US the right to force that problem onto another country? "We have decided that these people are dangerous, they're your problem now. See ya!"
    It sounds comparable to the gitmo problem especially #3
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,729

I was asking my friend, who's a Bosnian Muslim, about the hijab the other day and I was saying to her how we find such aspects hard to understand. I think it's important to remember that we cannot judge all Muslims by the actions of a relatively tiny percentage, no matter how terrible the deeds. We talked a bit about the general perception of Islam and these were just some of her thoughts.

'Most muslims are decent, warm, peaceful people.. A few bad eggs...and the whole religion is typecast. We don't consider the extremists to be muslim for their actions are not justifiable. Sadly the media is to blame a lot i think.'

It's the same thing with Christian extremists, but the difference with them is that the general public accepts the notion that they aren't representing Christianity because most of us in the U.S. have a lot of familiarity with the religion. When a Christian extremist kills someone, we attribute their motivations to something else and find a different label for them.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,037

There are a couple questions I have that nobody can answer:

What is the scope and sequence of the Islamic expressions of outrage we have experienced this era? In other words, are we witnessing a few sporadic events... or are we witnessing the flames beginning to catch and things are only going to get worse?

What would worse look like?

It seems to me it s getting worse. Yea I understand the vast majority are very good people but the American people still have the memories of 9/11 in their minds. Yes certain Christian groups are terrible and racist but I can't think of any who are fighting a declared war against the United states.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

It's the same thing with Christian extremists, but the difference with them is that the general public accepts the notion that they aren't representing Christianity because most of us in the U.S. have a lot of familiarity with the religion. When a Christian extremist kills someone, we attribute their motivations to something else and find a different label for them.
    Exactly, we all grew up with a general understanding of Christianity. We don't really have a proper understanding of Islam, I certainly don't anyway. As usual, we fear and distrust what we don't understand. Instead of just condemning the notion of wearing a hijab and deciding it could only be a sign of repression, I asked about it and tried to better understand it. As a result, I don't regard it with the same suspicion and unease that I did before
  • Options

Exactly, we all grew up with a general understanding of Christianity. We don't really have a proper understanding of Islam, I certainly don't anyway. As usual, we fear and distrust what we don't understand. Instead of just condemning the notion of wearing a hijab and deciding it could only be a sign of repression, I asked about it and tried to better understand it. As a result, I don't regard it with the same suspicion and unease that I did before
    I guess you guys didn't watch the above video.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I kind of like Jenny's view, and her general openness. Maybe she did watch the video, maybe not. Takes nothing away from what she wrote.

I see fanaticism and imposition of one's beliefs on others as problems, not necessarily religion itself.
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited June 2016

This has come up before.

The Christian extremists are cupcakes compared to Islamic extremists. It's not even remotely close... and I am as critical of Christianity as anyone on these boards (see recent posts in the last pages of this thread).

The Crusades don't count- too many centuries ago. The occasional abortion clinic bombing is legitimate- but so infrequent that the event is hardly alarming. And capitalist ventures such as the US one in the Middle East are not in the name of religion- as much as some want to categorize such as so given their agenda they are trying to promote (and that you might have been alluding to with your last sentence).

So... exactly what Christian crimes compare to the Islamic terrorist events we continually hear about ( including the ones that- as PJSoul would suggest- we don't care about)?
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    goldrush said:

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

4. Who's next? Once the Muslims are all gone, who do you deport next? How many others have to go for you to create your perfect country?
    Great questions
  • Options
    edited June 2016

This has come up before.

The Christian extremists are cupcakes compared to Islamic extremists. It's not even remotely close... and I am as critical of Christianity as anyone on these boards (see recent posts in the last pages of this thread).

The Crusades don't count- too many centuries ago. The occasional abortion clinic bombing is legitimate- but so infrequent that the event is hardly alarming. And capitalist ventures such as the US one in the Middle East are not in the name of religion- as much as some want to categorize such as so given their agenda they are trying to promote (and that you might have been alluding to with your last sentence).

So... exactly what Christian crimes compare to the Islamic terrorist events we continually hear about ( including the ones that- as PJSoul would suggest- we don't care about)?
    Whenever I make this point, people always respond with saying that Muslim terrorists are way more of a threat than Christian terrorists. My point isn't to compare the level of threat between the two, but to look at how we talk about the two groups, how the media covers it, and how we then subsequently respond to the two groups. McVeigh killed 168, but how is this Christian terrorist talked about?
  • Options

I did, but tell me what I missed.
  • Options

This has come up before.

Whenever I make this point, people always respond with saying that Muslim terrorists are way more of a threat than Christian terrorists. My point isn't to compare the level of threat between the two, but to look at how we talk about the two groups, how the media covers it, and how we then subsequently respond to the two groups. McVeigh killed 168, but how is this Christian terrorist talked about?
    McVeigh wasn't motivated by the bible. He was anti-government. Not a good example.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,633
    edited June 2016

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

We should discuss that "problem" when everyone from Muslim countries aren't trying to immigrate to historically Christian countries (European countries, US, Canada).

No one is trying immigrate the other way unless they are wannabe terrorists because shocker....historically Christian countries are a whole lot safer and provide more freedom than Muslim nations..
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on