Options

Terrorist Shooting In Orlando, FL

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJ_Soul said:

I figure every single call from a gun shop owner should be taken seriously. Every single one should be investigated thoroughly.

agree !

Godfather.

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:

I figure every single call from a gun shop owner should be taken seriously. Every single one should be investigated thoroughly.

No joke! Speaking of "common sense". Wasn't there a similar circumstance in either the CO or AZ shooting where authorities disregarded warnings by a psychologist or something? Seems like I have heard this story before...
  • Options

I was asking my friend, who's a Bosnian Muslim, about the hijab the other day and I was saying to her how we find such aspects hard to understand. I think it's important to remember that we cannot judge all Muslims by the actions of a relatively tiny percentage, no matter how terrible the deeds. We talked a bit about the general perception of Islam and these were just some of her thoughts.

'Most muslims are decent, warm, peaceful people.. A few bad eggs...and the whole religion is typecast. We don't consider the extremists to be muslim for their actions are not justifiable. Sadly the media is to blame a lot i think.'

It's the same thing with Christian extremists, but the difference with them is that the general public accepts the notion that they aren't representing Christianity because most of us in the U.S. have a lot of familiarity with the religion. When a Christian extremist kills someone, we attribute their motivations to something else and find a different label for them.
    Exactly, we all grew up with a general understanding of Christianity. We don't really have a proper understanding of Islam, I certainly don't anyway. As usual, we fear and distrust what we don't understand. Instead of just condemning the notion of wearing a hijab and deciding it could only be a sign of repression, I asked about it and tried to better understand it. As a result, I don't regard it with the same suspicion and unease that I did before
    I guess you guys didn't watch the above video.
    I did, but tell me what I missed.
    1:55 - 2:15
    Please tell us what you think.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    PJ_Soul said:

nah just be easier to stop letting people by assault weapons.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    pjhawks said:

PJ_Soul said:

nah just be easier to stop letting people by assault weapons.
    That is really besides the point. Either way, all calls from gun shop owners should be taken seriously and acted upon.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

No joke! Speaking of "common sense". Wasn't there a similar circumstance in either the CO or AZ shooting where authorities disregarded warnings by a psychologist or something? Seems like I have heard this story before...
    Yes indeed. I guess we do have to remember that hindsight is 20/20. There are plenty of mass shootings where people came forward and said they knew this and that. In a lot of those cases it's not really reasonable to say that someone should have done something or known. But in other cases, like in cases when a gun shop owner or someone else who fears potential mass violence actually alerts authorities with concerns and the authorities do nothing or the person is still able to buy guns, someone is definitely dropping a very large ball.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Hmm http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/mccain-blames-obama-for-orlando-massacre/ar-AAh8NLU?ocid=spartanntp

I and others have long warned that the failure of the President’s policy to deny (the Islamic State) safe haven would allow the terrorist organization to inspire, plan, direct or conduct attacks on the United States and Europe as they have done in Paris, Brussels, San Bernardino and now Orlando.”
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,694
    edited June 2016

Hmm http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/mccain-blames-obama-for-orlando-massacre/ar-AAh8NLU?ocid=spartanntp

I and others have long warned that the failure of the President’s policy to deny (the Islamic State) safe haven would allow the terrorist organization to inspire, plan, direct or conduct attacks on the United States and Europe as they have done in Paris, Brussels, San Bernardino and now Orlando.”

I know. Doesn't that make this a weird tweet?

Last American combat troops leave Iraq. I think President George W. Bush deserves some credit for victory.

Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    Lol. That tweet is weird for a couple of reasons!
  • Options
    I have an honest question: last night I watched several news channels and all them stated that ISIS was calling for more attacks on America from their followers here and all news stations seem to agree that more attacks could or will happen so my question is this...how do you people think those isis supporters got here and as for the "home grown" terrorist who do you guys think they are being influenced by ?

we have gone round and round about muslim involvement in US terror attacks and many of you think it's just part of the percentages of rouge muslims and basically no big deal.
    I still stand by the thought of stopping all muslim entries in the US because the percentages are just too high, we can't solve every problem this way but it's a good start to minimalizing terrorist attacks on American soil and any immigrant and their children that are suspected of any involvement with terrorist or terrorist activity should be immediately investigated and detained or deported to the country they or their family is from.
    this ISIS thing has got way out of control (thanks Obama) and something needs to be done to protect the American people.

Godfather.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    edited June 2016

I have an honest question: last night I watched several news channels and all them stated that ISIS was calling for more attacks on America from their followers here and all news stations seem to agree that more attacks could or will happen so my question is this...how do you people think those isis supporters got here and as for the "home grown" terrorist who do you guys think they are being influenced by ?

we have gone round and round about muslim involvement in US terror attacks and many of you think it's just part of the percentages of rouge muslims and basically no big deal.
    I still stand by the thought of stopping all muslim entries in the US because the percentages are just too high, we can't solve every problem this way but it's a good start to minimalizing terrorist attacks on American soil and any immigrant and their children that are suspected of any involvement with terrorist or terrorist activity should be immediately investigated and detained or deported to the country they or their family is from.
    this ISIS thing has got way out of control (thanks Obama) and something needs to be done to protect the American people.

Godfather.

Given that you're not talking about a single percentage point of Muslims who seek to bastardize the name of their religion and terrorize because of it, my opinion is that humans owe it to humans to allow and assist in the pursuit of a better life, when those humans are willing to abide by the laws of the land and pay dues through taxes and improvements to the economy and social setting of their new home. Of course Americans will never see that - the United States aren't truly United States with the exception of the currency - let alone part of a united world where people care for each other's well being. When I visit America, I am hundreds of times more afraid of untreated mentally ill persons, or radical bigots such as yourself (who will protect your right to carry lethal weapons until death) than radical Islamists. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm the only one.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    This attack had very little to do with ISIS and a lot to do with a man very confused and conflicted with his religion and sexuality.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    benjs said:

Godfather.

Given that you're not talking about a single percentage point of Muslims who seek to bastardize the name of their religion and terrorize because of it, my opinion is that humans owe it to humans to allow and assist in the pursuit of a better life, when those humans are willing to abide by the laws of the land and pay dues through taxes and improvements to the economy and social setting of their new home. Of course Americans will never see that - the United States aren't truly United States with the exception of the currency - let alone part of a united world where people care for each other's well being. When I visit America, I am hundreds of times more afraid of untreated mentally ill persons, or radical bigots such as yourself (who will protect your right to carry lethal weapons until death) than radical Islamists. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm the only one.
    when you visit America ? where are you ?

Godfather.

• Options

This attack had very little to do with ISIS and a lot to do with a man very confused and conflicted with his religion and sexuality.

your opinion, cool.

Godfather.
  • Options

your opinion, cool.

Godfather.
    I actually did forget to put IMO after that.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

I agree with that.....to me he was conflicted about his sexuality and used ISIS as a cover for the horrible crimes he was committing in that club. His first wife flat out said he was gay, he had apps on his phone to gay sites and asked out former classmates and was turned down. All knowing how homosexuality is viewed negatively in the Muslim world.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866

Godfather.

radicals/terrorists are bred, not born (much like racists). maybe their parents came here in search of a better life, but ended up being marginilized and treated as second class citizens after 9/11. maybe they got tired of watching the news of Bush bombing their relatives back home to unrecognizable bits to "liberate them".

yeah, it's all obama's fault. haha. if you do some reading, your military, under agreement with the Iraqi government, was no longer welcome to stay. so he pulled them out. the iraqis failed (how could they not?). should he have flipped them the bird and said "we're staying, tough shit"? then everyone would be crying foul every time another american soldier came back in a bodybag. no matter what he does, people will say everything is his fault. you elevate the man to god-like status without even knowing, that everything comes down to his actions/inactions.

you never say anything about what got your military to the mid east in the first place. it's like blaming the parent for not perfectly cleaning up after their petulant child.

how do you control a terrorist entity that knows no borders, no specific government or land mass? that's a tough one. germany was tough enough. imagine they were everywhere in the world, not just in germany. imagine that world. the MASSIVE difference is, you don't have armies of terrorists. you have cells. single suicide bombers. which actually makes it more difficult. it's like chasing ghosts.

do you harm the masses because of the actions of a miniscule few? nope. that's just not how the world works, plus, you are basically handing ISIS thousands and possibly millions more supporters/sympathizers if you do that. breeding terrorists is something the US government does very well, unfortunately. they haven't learned from it. Obama is actually trying his best NOT to do that. which is really all he can really do at this point. try to contain the problem instead of exacerbating it like Trump is/will.

Trump is exactly what ISIS wants: an excuse to cause more carnage.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Religion still at the root of the problem if the recently plausible theories truly account for his actions.

The day people free themselves from their indoctrinated beliefs is the day this world will be a much better place.

Brainwashing is a very powerful thing. I remember what it was like to truly believe in God as a kid- he was very real in my mind. It took a lot of questioning without receiving adequate answers to have the idea of him begin to unravel. Once it did though, I was prepared to accept the reality I was facing even though aspects of it were daunting (no Heaven? Well that's the shits).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Religion still at the root of the problem if the recently plausible theories truly account for his actions.

The day people free themselves from their indoctrinated beliefs is the day this world will be a much better place.

Brainwashing is a very powerful thing. I remember what it was like to truly believe in God as a kid- he was very real in my mind. It took a lot of questioning without receiving adequate answers to have the idea of him begin to unravel. Once it did though, I was prepared to accept the reality I was facing even though aspects of it were daunting (no Heaven? Well that's the shits).

I have pretty much the same experience in regards to religion and the inadequate answers to all of my questions.
  • Options

Godfather.

radicals/terrorists are bred, not born (much like racists). maybe their parents came here in search of a better life, but ended up being marginilized and treated as second class citizens after 9/11. maybe they got tired of watching the news of Bush bombing their relatives back home to unrecognizable bits to "liberate them".

yeah, it's all obama's fault. haha. if you do some reading, your military, under agreement with the Iraqi government, was no longer welcome to stay. so he pulled them out. the iraqis failed (how could they not?). should he have flipped them the bird and said "we're staying, tough shit"? then everyone would be crying foul every time another american soldier came back in a bodybag. no matter what he does, people will say everything is his fault. you elevate the man to god-like status without even knowing, that everything comes down to his actions/inactions.

you never say anything about what got your military to the mid east in the first place. it's like blaming the parent for not perfectly cleaning up after their petulant child.

how do you control a terrorist entity that knows no borders, no specific government or land mass? that's a tough one. germany was tough enough. imagine they were everywhere in the world, not just in germany. imagine that world. the MASSIVE difference is, you don't have armies of terrorists. you have cells. single suicide bombers. which actually makes it more difficult. it's like chasing ghosts.

do you harm the masses because of the actions of a miniscule few? nope. that's just not how the world works, plus, you are basically handing ISIS thousands and possibly millions more supporters/sympathizers if you do that. breeding terrorists is something the US government does very well, unfortunately. they haven't learned from it. Obama is actually trying his best NOT to do that. which is really all he can really do at this point. try to contain the problem instead of exacerbating it like Trump is/will.

Trump is exactly what ISIS wants: an excuse to cause more carnage.
    awesome reply ! I disagree on a few things but whats new right, and I would rather not go into some of them.

Godfather.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,695
    Your link just has a paraphrase from a journalist years after and doesn't go into before the bombing. There's also many other individual acts where people have murdered motivated by their own version of Christianity. But once again, my point isn't that Christian extremist are as violent as Muslim extremists, it's that fundamentalism is the problem. And fundamentalism takes different forms, religion being just one of them.
  • Options
    ....but I will say that bad seeds are born just as you might say gay children are born, this guy who killed all those people at the gay bar had a history of ..unruliness starting back in grade school and probably earlier.

Godfather.
  • Options

Your link just has a paraphrase from a journalist years after and doesn't go into before the bombing. There's also many other individual acts where people have murdered motivated by their own version of Christianity. But once again, my point isn't that Christian extremist are as violent as Muslim extremists, it's that fundamentalism is the problem. And fundamentalism takes different forms, religion being just one of them.
    I still think it's not valid to suggest we abhor Muslim terrorist acts more than we abhor Christian terrorist acts which was something you hinted at on page 19 of this thread.

To suggest something like that... we would need a genuine Christian terrorist act to compare one of the many Muslim terrorist acts we have been treated to recently... and then compare the responses. The McVeigh case was suggested as one, but it's not a Christian terrorist act. There have been no others presented (even in your post you referred to 'many other individual acts' instead of anything specific).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866

....but I will say that bad seeds are born just as you might say gay children are born, this guy who killed all those people at the gay bar had a history of ..unruliness starting back in grade school and probably earlier.

Godfather.

people can be born mentally ill....possibly. we don't know that yet. but people aren't born hating anyone. hate is learned.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,026
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

The problem is the first time its taken seriously and the gun shop is wrong, they'll probably be sued for discrimination (and lose) and no other gun shops will want to make those phone calls anymore.
    Like all the school shootings, everyone asks how the parents, teachers and counselors didn't see anything. But when a kid brings in a home made clock and a teacher reports it, they get sued for millions. Now teachers are afraid to report again, good job.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,694

Godfather.

people can be born mentally ill....possibly. we don't know that yet. but people aren't born hating anyone. hate is learned.
    Word. Precisely true.
  • Options

Godfather.

True to an extant, some people are born and grow up without ever feeling remorse, they may not hate at all but they also are able to kill and go to bed at night and not lose a min. of sleep but for the most part I agree hate is learned from life's experiences or it's taught.
    the human brain is a mystery for sure and I feel that's where it all begins.

Godfather.

• Options

Godfather.

Well the racism directed at "homegrown Muslims" probably isn't helping. That is likely very alienating and drives some (very few, but some) to develop anti-American sentiment and to look outwards for a sense of belonging. Alienated people are exactly what ISIS looks for when recruiting.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

The problem is the first time its taken seriously and the gun shop is wrong, they'll probably be sued for discrimination (and lose) and no other gun shops will want to make those phone calls anymore.
    Like all the school shootings, everyone asks how the parents, teachers and counselors didn't see anything. But when a kid brings in a home made clock and a teacher reports it, they get sued for millions. Now teachers are afraid to report again, good job.
    I kind of doubt that. I don't think anyone can be sued for contacting authorities when they perceive a threat to public safety. Not when weapons are involved. We're not talking about bakers here. They're people selling guns. That's a lot different.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941

benjs said:

Godfather.

when you visit America ? where are you ?

Godfather.

I'm in Canada, and I'm half-American (on my dad's side).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1