Options

Terrorist Shooting In Orlando, FL

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I'm amazed at how quickly this thread went a terror attack thread to who might be the greatest heavy weight fighter...to how we should properly address people. My vote for greatest heavy weight, Rocky Marciano. I don't know how we can judge if Ali was the greatest, he left an awful lot of fighters hand around and hit him ... I assume most fighters want the fight over asap.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    rgambs said:

g under p said:

Peace

Love it.
    I grew up in gun culture and it sickens me, it is a pathetic, immature, masturbatory obsession and I say that with absolute conviction as someone who loves several gun strokers dearly.
    It's an infantile hobby that is centered around delusions of the glorification of violence, an instinctual desire for destruction, and the obvious phallic relation. It's worse than American infantile obsessions with cars or sports because it results in so many unnecessary deaths.
    I dont give a shit about collectors of ANYTHING (pj junk included), but gun collectors in particular mean nothing to me.
    100% agreed.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,025
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

mcgruff10 said:

Instead of rushing to ban guns, can we talk about the fact that the father of the shooter was a god damn Taliban supporter?

Every single fucking time it has to be something besides the gun. There is a common demoniator in every one of these massacres.
    Ding ding ding
    Yep. A gun that can fire even just 20 rounds in a minute shouldn't be possessed by civilians. For any reason. If you like target practice or whatever...too bad. A few bad apples have spoiled the bunch.

mcgruff10 said:

Instead of rushing to ban guns, can we talk about the fact that the father of the shooter was a god damn Taliban supporter?

Every single fucking time it has to be something besides the gun. There is a common demoniator in every one of these massacres.
    Ding ding ding
    Yep. A gun that can fire even just 20 rounds in a minute shouldn't be possessed by civilians. For any reason. If you like target practice or whatever...too bad. A few bad apples have spoiled the bunch.
    Semi auto handguns carried by law enforcement and civilians can fire off 20 rounds in a minute. This dude's sig mcx (not actually an ar-15, though media tried to say it was) wasn't even rigged for spurts or auto, it just had a big clip. It's hard to differentiate an assault weapon from a non-assault weapon with a lot of these weapons.

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding
    Semi auto handguns carried by law enforcement and civilians can fire off 20 rounds in a minute. This dude's sig mcx (not actually an ar-15, though media tried to say it was) wasn't even rigged for spurts or auto, it just had a big clip. It's hard to differentiate an assault weapon from a non-assault weapon with a lot of these weapons.
    That would be a great place to start with the banhammer.

There is no legitimate need for more than 15 rounds, and magazines which switch out easily should be limited much lower, at 5 or so.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,909
    so let's just say the US actually does limit the legal availability of these types of firearms to its citizens. how do you go about keeping them out of the hands of criminals? stiff sentencing? like 10 years first time possession, no exceptions? tie the hands of the judges so they can't incur leniency if the offender is a fast white swimmer?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,491
    mrussel1 said:

g under p said:

mrussel1 said:

Hey that's why he's the GODFATHER it's only his kind that matters to him ga ha ha Ali was not only the greatest boxer he was a giant of a human being more class on his pinky than what the GF has in his whole body ..

good lord you are confused.....Rocky Marciano is the greatest fighter of all time, no loses and most fights ended in K.O, Mike Tyson was a better fighter than clay as well. and why don't you take a moment to tell me what or who is "my kind" I think you'd surprised to know whom I conceder a friend, my list is short but solid.

Godfather.

"Every time I talk about boxing, some white man gotta pull Rocky Marciano out of his ass."

:rofl:
    Lol.....you gotta watch the whole scene....

http://youtu.be/-R1h2Df3Nrc

Peace

I'm glad we can have some levity on this post. These scenes were just friggin' hilarious. I never get sick of the movie. Classic.
    Yes, all of the scenes were hilarious! Really liked the Joe Louis/Rocky Marciano discussion. :smiley:
    Thanks for posting the video, g under p! That was great.

• Options
    edited June 2016

so let's just say the US actually does limit the legal availability of these types of firearms to its citizens. how do you go about keeping them out of the hands of criminals? stiff sentencing? like 10 years first time possession, no exceptions? tie the hands of the judges so they can't incur leniency if the offender is a fast white swimmer?

Registration is key....license just like a vehicle. Sales require reporting just like a vehicle or jetski.

Database to prevent criminals from purchasing at point of registration.

In a sense the infrastructure is already in place to do this (via local motor vehicle registration offices...really no need to set up a separate agency)
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,592
    Is there documentation of events where these AR15 assault rifles actually have been used in self defense successfully? I'm not talking about being used by SWAT/police. If not, then the NRA has no leg to stand on unless they are arguing that they are necessary to guard from attack by a hostile government.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

There is no legitimate need for more than 15 rounds, and magazines which switch out easily should be limited much lower, at 5 or so.
    Yep, I agree with the 30 round clips thing. No one needs that to kill a deer.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,800
    g under p said:

Wow we have fallen to an all time low on A Moving Train....check that SOME here have certainly have done so. Unbelievable!

Peace

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Is there documentation of events where these AR15 assault rifles actually have been used in self defense successfully? I'm not talking about being used by SWAT/police. If not, then the NRA has no leg to stand on unless they are arguing that they are necessary to guard from attack by a hostile government.

The weapon used wasn't an AR-15. The AR-15 is the great white shark of guns for the anti gun world, always gets the blame. Sure it was created in early 60's and tested on Viet Cong and was found to be a slaughter machine vs human bodies, but dude who sold him the long gun said it was a sig mcx.

The point is that it's not one type of gun that's involved in mass killings. Any sick fuck can carry a few semi auto pistols with big clips and reserves and do severe damage just as easily.

Banning an AR-15 or similar gun isn't going to stop this shit, it may just lead to explosives or some other means towards mass casualties. There's too many guns out there already- and since the AR took the blame for this one I bet 1000's have been sold in the last few days alone.

No more big clips, and excessive penalties for violations is a decent start.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,722

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

My dad was pretty sure Red Dawn was coming to a town near us. When he died, we found cases of bullets stashed everywhere. I probably found, easily, 400 boxes of bullets. No wonder we grew up dirt poor. My brother and I went to throw away an old school TV console that he used as a book case. It weighed 400 lbs. We tore out the bottom and found he had hollowed it out and another 100 boxes were stashed there.
    Point is, there's lots of people like him out there. There are no limits, you can never have enough. We just have to outvote them somehow.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

mcgruff10 said:

Ding ding ding

My dad was pretty sure Red Dawn was coming to a town near us. When he died, we found cases of bullets stashed everywhere. I probably found, easily, 400 boxes of bullets. No wonder we grew up dirt poor. My brother and I went to throw away an old school TV console that he used as a book case. It weighed 400 lbs. We tore out the bottom and found he had hollowed it out and another 100 boxes were stashed there.
    Point is, there's lots of people like him out there. There are no limits, you can never have enough. We just have to outvote them somehow.
    Damn what a story that's crazy.

There's a dude near here outside of Austin that a friend a I drove by one afternoon on a country road and waved. He waved us down and asked us if we wanted to see what he was working on down this old dirt road behind him. We laughed and said sure- jumped out of his truck and walked down this dudes driveway. He had a basement dug for his new house and it was already cemented in (in tx they don't have basements though, it's too rocky and too expensive). He walked us down this wooden staircase and we realized it wasn't a basement at all but a bunker. He had vaults for ammo, storerooms for canned food, and a hidden area like a safe room or something where he could lock himself in and hide. Fucking insane.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

Registration is key....license just like a vehicle. Sales require reporting just like a vehicle or jetski.

In a sense the infrastructure is already in place to do this (via local motor vehicle registration offices...really no need to set up a separate agency)
    We tried that here in Canada with a long gun registry ... Long since scrapped ... Cost were in the billions ... What I understand lead to high cost was the charging of fees to register, a lot of gun owners weren't registering so they waved the fees and cost sky rocketed...not as easy to enforce as car registration.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options

That does nothing to keep out of the hands of criminals. all that does is make sure we know who committed a crime with a previously legally registered firearm. I'm talking about how to keep as many as possible off the black market.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

That does nothing to keep out of the hands of criminals. all that does is make sure we know who committed a crime with a previously legally registered firearm. I'm talking about how to keep as many as possible off the black market.
    I think that would do that...you say it does "nothing" but registration is 100x further than what we are doing now.

• Options

I think that would do that...you say it does "nothing" but registration is 100x further than what we are doing now.
    true, saying it would nothing is a stretch. but I still think it would be ineffectual at best. gang bangers are not going to register the guns they already have, nor are they going to register the ones they get on the black market. when you make something illegal or more expense/harder to get, you create a black market. how do you curb that issue?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    lukin2006 said:

We tried that here in Canada with a long gun registry ... Long since scrapped ... Cost were in the billions ... What I understand lead to high cost was the charging of fees to register, a lot of gun owners weren't registering so they waved the fees and cost sky rocketed...not as easy to enforce as car registration.
    Yeah, that is tough to enforce. With a car, you drive it out in public and the tabs are clearly visible showing that it is current in its registration. With guns, how can you know? I have a couple of rifles I inherited, and a couple of rifles I bought decades ago when I used to occasionally hunt. Those guns haven't seen the light of day for years and years (except when I moved). I'm pretty sure that if we were to have some sort of gun registration program implemented, mine would not be registered, likely out of sheer laziness, especially if there was a cost involved. I don't plan on buying or selling any other guns, but I think going forward any new sales or transfers could be registered and tracked.The cows have already left the barn for existing firearms out there unless someone is proposing a door-to-door search for compliance.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

true, saying it would nothing is a stretch. but I still think it would be ineffectual at best. gang bangers are not going to register the guns they already have, nor are they going to register the ones they get on the black market. when you make something illegal or more expense/harder to get, you create a black market. how do you curb that issue?
    right, there would definitely be a lag due to the enormous amount of weapons already in use

Gun buy backs programs are probably a key part...gang bangers can turn guns into cash

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683

myoung321 said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

It's pathetic seeing republicans who hate gays just like the Muslims bashing liberals as Muslim lovers after this. What do you bigots care other than scoring political points?

It is this comment that is pathetic and you are off base in referring to people such as myself as bigots. Republicans do not hate gays. That is a caricature that you have created in your mind. There are some, who I happen to disagree with, who would prefer not to be forced to bake a cake out of their own religious beliefs but that is a far cry from hatred. Try to understand the difference between that belief and those of radical Islam. Second, nobody is calling liberals "muslim lovers" either. What is being said is that your progressive need to respect the cultural sensitivities of radical muslims is in direct contradiction to our collective need of protecting the rights of women and the LGBT community. You excuse the beliefs of one community at the expense of the other and in doing so it put us all at greater risk of attack. Smarten up.
    NO ONE has ever expressed a need to respect the sensitivities of radical Muslims.
    Sharia is radicalism plain and simple yet I've just been told by mRussel that we should be accepting of it. According to him it is similar to being an observant Amish.

Anyways...i think the person in this link has it right. Probably the most powerful thing I have read all day. It is time for progressives to start waking up to the this reality

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/06/12/gay-activist-after-orlando-trump-voter/?singlepage=true

"I'm a Gay Activist, and After Orlando, I Have Switched My Vote to Trump

This is the saddest day of my life. I can't even wrap my mind around the horror of what happened last night in Orlando, where 50 joyful dancing queers were murdered by a religious extremist. I'm sad -- devastated, in my soul -- about that; but I'm also sad that the events of Orlando have shattered my political beliefs, as I can no longer swear allegiance to a peace-love-and-unicorns progressive philosophy that only helps to get my fellow queers killed.

Yes, there is a war between religious fundamentalism and the spirit of love and tolerance. But we progressives here in America still labor under the delusion that the religion we need to combat is Christianity. But that's a strawman opponent, and has been so for decades. Since the 1990s, Christian extremists have essentially lost all their power, and are now toothless nonplayers in the "culture wars." Meanwhile, Muslim extremists, with guns, murder us, and on the left our only response is to bleat about "Islamophobia" and jump through hoops trying to explain away the self-evident religious motivation for the killings.

Oh sure, all year I've been playing the "Bernie or Hillary?" game with all the other default-Democrats in my social and professional circles. But this is no longer some kind of game. Our lives are on the line. Although I voted for Hillary in the primary, I now cringe inwardly with shame and embarrassment at having done so, and in November I will vote for Trump.

Why? Yes, I know that Trump is an a**hole, Trump is a clown, Trump is a motormouth buffoon. You don't have to convince me of that. But he's also the only person saying anything about putting the brakes on Islamic extremism, and in light of what happened last night in Orlando, suddenly that is the only issue that really matters when it comes to the health, well-being and safety of the queer community.

As an aside, Trump has never said anything homophobic, and has always gotten along well with the gay community in New York, so there's that in his favor as well.

I also now realize, with brutal clarity, that in the progressive hierarchy of identity groups, Muslims are above gays. Every pundit and politician -- and that includes President Obama and Hillary Clinton and half the talking heads on TV -- who today have said "We don't know what the shooter's motivation could possibly be!" have revealed to me their true priorities: appeasing Muslims is more important than defending the lives of gay people. Every progressive who runs interference for Islamic murderers is complicit in those murders, and I can no longer be a part of that team.

I'm just sick of it. Sick of the hypocrisy. Sick of the pandering. Sick of the deception.

And you know what makes me angrier still? The fact that I have to hide my identity and remain anonymous in writing this essay. If I outed myself as a Trump supporter, I would be harassed and doxxed and shunned by everyone I know and by the Twitter lynch mobs which up until yesterday I myself led.

I am ashamed. I am angry. And I am sad. I don't want to vote for Trump, but I must. And if you care about the safety of the gay community in America, so must you."
    Dumbama and hellary will convince some here that it's a gun issue.....it's not, vote Trump !

Godfather.

Could you have one conversation without using childish names to describe the President of the United States? But then again, your candidate can't, so why should I expect any civility from a follower.

my apologies...no need to carry on this "conversation" have a nice day..!

HAHAHHAHAHAHHHHHAH I'm glad somebody is paying attention, btw he's your president not mine.

Godfather.

Are you serious?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Gun laws are not going to stop this sort of shit from happening...your country is a violent country...pretty simple.

Pretty much. Gun laws don't hurt, but it's this culture of guns and violence and us vs them that is the real problem. Long term solutions are needed. This will take generations to fix.
    In the meantime, we should probably make purchasing a semi-automatic weapon a little more complicated than picking up milk and eggs at Wal-Mart, no?

The fact a person can be deemed too dangerous to fly, but not too dangerous to legally purchase a weapon that can kill 50 people in a matter of seconds is flabbergasting.
    I completely agree. The gun laws are crazy... I just think the main problem is the gun culture, which is the reason so many Americans and the NRA cling to such crazy laws.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Just watched Obama own Trump and his disgraceful nonsense...
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    edited June 2016
    If we are going to talk about something let's use the right term

Post edited by Dirtie_Frank on
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Just watched Obama own Trump and his disgraceful nonsense...

I know. Obama made the point that we all have made. Calling it 'Islamist' does nothing to change what the professionals that are on the front lines are doing.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,592

The weapon used wasn't an AR-15. The AR-15 is the great white shark of guns for the anti gun world, always gets the blame. Sure it was created in early 60's and tested on Viet Cong and was found to be a slaughter machine vs human bodies, but dude who sold him the long gun said it was a sig mcx.

The point is that it's not one type of gun that's involved in mass killings. Any sick fuck can carry a few semi auto pistols with big clips and reserves and do severe damage just as easily.

Banning an AR-15 or similar gun isn't going to stop this shit, it may just lead to explosives or some other means towards mass casualties. There's too many guns out there already- and since the AR took the blame for this one I bet 1000's have been sold in the last few days alone.

Heroin shouldn't be legal because there are other deadly drugs out there that can be used in its place.

An AR15 does not need to be available to the public, regardless of whether there is another weapon that can be modified to be as deadly. I could buy a an AR15 and learn to use it in 5 minutes, but I would probably blow myself up trying to make a bomb, so I wouldn't use the bomb excuse.
  • Options

Heroin shouldn't be legal because there are other deadly drugs out there that can be used in its place.

An AR15 does not need to be available to the public, regardless of whether there is another weapon that can be modified to be as deadly. I could buy a an AR15 and learn to use it in 5 minutes, but I would probably blow myself up trying to make a bomb, so I wouldn't use the bomb excuse.
    I agree
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    we all know chris rock has had the solution all along ...
  • Options
    Well this is an interesting twist and plays more to the self-loathing angle. It's the NY Post, so take it with a grain at this point.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/13/shooter-used-to-visit-orlando-gay-club-use-gay-dating-apps/
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 953
    just heard gun sales have soared today in the US. Is that right? Whats the logic there?

is that so in the split second someone takes to shoot at you, you then take out your gun, take the safety off, find out where the shooting was and fire back without hitting anyone innocent? All before they shoot you?