Options

Terrorist Shooting In Orlando, FL

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,196
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Instead of rushing to ban guns, can we talk about the fact that the father of the shooter was a god damn Taliban supporter?

Every single fucking time it has to be something besides the gun. There is a common demoniator in every one of these massacres.
    Let me preface by saying I voted for Obama twice and am a huge supporter of his, but why have so many of these massacres happened under his presidency?
    ask your speaker of the house.
    i'm not following you.
    speaker decides what bills come up for debate in the house. to start the legislative process. republican speakers of the house have not even considered any of obama's proposed legislative ideas. they have not even allowed a jobs bill to the floor, yet they have voted 55 times to overturn obamacare and have failed to act on simple reforms to our gun laws.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mcgruff10 said:

Instead of rushing to ban guns, can we talk about the fact that the father of the shooter was a god damn Taliban supporter?

Bingo.

We live in a land of paradoxes. People come here because of our freedoms but then abuse our freedoms. They use our tolerance for free speech to destroy us. We either limit free speech or we run the risk of some crazy mofo getting "radicalized" on social media. I told my students today that social media will be the downfall of human civilization, and this tragedy is just my latest example.

I'm sick of it. Not enough to vote for Trump, but I do understand where his supporters are coming from. It's not practical to deport or ban an entire group, but dang if we shouldn't try to keep the ones out who don't deserve our hospitality. I mean, what the hell? We've lost thousands of American lives trying to defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan, yet we allow an Afghan immigrant broadcast a pro-Taliban TV show from California? That's just so jacked up. I see no good solution. Our leaders are hamstrung by our own Constitution to do anything about it. I feel so helpless and hopeless every time I think about it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,971

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Every single fucking time it has to be something besides the gun. There is a common demoniator in every one of these massacres.
    Let me preface by saying I voted for Obama twice and am a huge supporter of his, but why have so many of these massacres happened under his presidency?
    i'm not following you.
    speaker decides what bills come up for debate in the house. to start the legislative process. republican speakers of the house have not even considered any of obama's proposed legislative ideas. they have not even allowed a jobs bill to the floor, yet they have voted 55 times to overturn obamacare and have failed to act on simple reforms to our gun laws.
    yeah but the majority of these massacres have been under the obama presidency and not under bush's...remember the assault weapons bill expired in 04 however from 04 to 08 there weren't nearly as many of these massacres. i'm asking why these occur under obama.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,710

mcgruff10 said:

Bingo.

We live in a land of paradoxes. People come here because of our freedoms but then abuse our freedoms. They use our tolerance for free speech to destroy us. We either limit free speech or we run the risk of some crazy mofo getting "radicalized" on social media. I told my students today that social media will be the downfall of human civilization, and this tragedy is just my latest example.

I'm sick of it. Not enough to vote for Trump, but I do understand where his supporters are coming from. It's not practical to deport or ban an entire group, but dang if we shouldn't try to keep the ones out who don't deserve our hospitality. I mean, what the hell? We've lost thousands of American lives trying to defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan, yet we allow an Afghan immigrant broadcast a pro-Taliban TV show from California? That's just so jacked up. I see no good solution. Our leaders are hamstrung by our own Constitution to do anything about it. I feel so helpless and hopeless every time I think about it.
    Please don't spread your hopelessness around by teaching students that our civilization is in decline. Despite this individual horrifying incidents, things are actually better.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I wonder how many people realize this is the safest time in American history? As a matter of fact it is the safest and most peaceful time in human history

Thank you for this comment! Don't let fear take over (that's why Trump is an option)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

i'm not following you.
    yeah but the majority of these massacres have been under the obama presidency and not under bush's...remember the assault weapons bill expired in 04 however from 04 to 08 there weren't nearly as many of these massacres. i'm asking why these occur under obama.
    wasn't it this congress, under obama, who voted to gut mental health care?

i am willing to think that maybe, just maybe, it took gun enthusiasts a few years to go out and buy a military grade weapon. probably didn't think they needed it right away. until president blackzilla was elected and then sales went through the roof. sales of ammo and guns.

obama has tried to push for mandatory background checks and if you are on a terror watch list or no fly list you can't buy a gun. 9/10 of americans support these reforms. republican speakers of the house have done nothing. did not bring it up for debate, let alone a vote.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

Good idea.
    Here is a good article to start http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/orlando-shooting-gunman-father-seddique-mir-mateen-1.3632588

Oooh and this one is juicy http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/omar-mateen-cheered-while-watching-911-attacks-on-school-tv-classmates
  • Options
    shooter was a frequent patron at pulse. apparently he was a bad drunk too.

he had a profile on a gay dating website too.

could it be that his inability to come out of the closet in some way motivated him?

• Options

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

Bingo.

Please don't spread your hopelessness around by teaching students that our civilization is in decline. Despite this individual horrifying incidents, things are actually better.
    My students are smart enough to know, without any help from me, that their future is fucked.

My comment today was just my daily attempt to get them to put their phones away long enough to acknowledge the other human beings in the room. I didn't even bring up the massacre. I'm sorry I made the connection to this thread. I can see why it's misleading.

My point is that however great things are (according to you), we didn't used to have these specific kinds of problems. Besides guns, the other common denominator is social media.
  • Options

Yeah the nra doesn't support Isis
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,722
    This tragedy, unfortunately, allows every interest group to be angry and aggrieved. Whether you hate the Muslims, believe gays are oppressed, hate guns, etc, everyone is seeing a devil here. Isn't it possible we are all right and wrong? This fucker was clearly mentally ill, had access to weapons, and used his religion as an excuse to wipe out what he believed is decadence. It's really the culmination of all the fault lines in this country. It's really, really awful.

I do wish Trump thought about history for once and remembered what Ben Franklin said:

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah the nra doesn't support Isis
    they support people like him legally purchasing the gun that he used though.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Asking an honest question here. What is the purpose of owning an assault rifle? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

Well from my point-of-view...there's no purpose.

From the point-of-view of a gun-enthusiast...maybe for collecting? Or shooting targets...or something?
    I enter local competitions at my range but that's just me. I know a lot of people shoot hogs with them down south. I'm a collector of guns (big on WW2); pretty much have every u.s. infantry weapon from ww1 to today.

I'm big on back ground checks but I'm not a fan of any sort of ban. Let's you say you ban the ar-15, where does it stop? I look no further than the state I live in (new jersey).
    It starts with all military grade weapons being banned for civilian use. Period. Stop it where you want.
    Way to find some middle ground. Where the hell do military grade weapons stop? I m thinking everyone of my guns would be banned if you had your way.
    I'm fairly certain that all of your guns weren't designed for warfare only. Which is what most assault rifles were designed for. Common sense goes along way.
    Yeah the majority of my guns were military issued in ww2. My 9mm has a 15 round mag which is the caliber the military uses. And my ar 15.....yikes
    I'm a gun owner too, McGruff. My father was a collector and after he died, I took control. He was also a little crazy and after Korea, he thought Red Dawn was really coming. Your WWII weapons are collector weapons and I get why this would bother you. But I would have no issue with banning the sale of assault style rifles. I'm not saying we collect what's out there, but there has to be a line. Under the no limitation concept, why not own an M192 or M240B or a tank? There has to be a line somewhere.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Asking an honest question here. What is the purpose of owning an assault rifle? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

From the point-of-view of a gun-enthusiast...maybe for collecting? Or shooting targets...or something?
    I enter local competitions at my range but that's just me. I know a lot of people shoot hogs with them down south. I'm a collector of guns (big on WW2); pretty much have every u.s. infantry weapon from ww1 to today.

I'm big on back ground checks but I'm not a fan of any sort of ban. Let's you say you ban the ar-15, where does it stop? I look no further than the state I live in (new jersey).
    It starts with all military grade weapons being banned for civilian use. Period. Stop it where you want.
    Way to find some middle ground. Where the hell do military grade weapons stop? I m thinking everyone of my guns would be banned if you had your way.
    I'm fairly certain that all of your guns weren't designed for warfare only. Which is what most assault rifles were designed for. Common sense goes along way.
    Yeah the majority of my guns were military issued in ww2. My 9mm has a 15 round mag which is the caliber the military uses. And my ar 15.....yikes
    I'm a gun owner too, McGruff. My father was a collector and after he died, I took control. He was also a little crazy and after Korea, he thought Red Dawn was really coming. Your WWII weapons are collector weapons and I get why this would bother you. But I would have no issue with banning the sale of assault style rifles. I'm not saying we collect what's out there, but there has to be a line. Under the no limitation concept, why not own an M192 or M240B or a tank? There has to be a line somewhere.
    you give an inch they take a mile.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You can't take a mile. The SCOTUS had ruled that gun ownership is not unlimited, but the 2nd amendment stands.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You can't take a mile. The SCOTUS had ruled that gun ownership is not unlimited, but the 2nd amendment stands.
    you should try living in nj...the 2nd amendment is pretty much gone here. every year the dems try to take more and more.
    like i said, i'm all for every type of background check out there, just don't ban anything.
    shoot me a pm and tell me about what your dad in korea. i' m a history nut.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Bingo.

My students are smart enough to know, without any help from me, that their future is fucked.

My comment today was just my daily attempt to get them to put their phones away long enough to acknowledge the other human beings in the room. I didn't even bring up the massacre. I'm sorry I made the connection to this thread. I can see why it's misleading.

My point is that however great things are (according to you), we didn't used to have these specific kinds of problems. Besides guns, the other common denominator is social media.
    Things are better now according to facts, and I like facts. You should talk to your students about how to balance what's going on in the world with what's presented to them on the internet. How they can control the flow, digest it and find truths vs. dramatic, fear inducing individual acts of horror. And yes, we've had mass killings since the weapons were invented.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

you should try living in nj...the 2nd amendment is pretty much gone here. every year the dems try to take more and more.
    like i said, i'm all for every type of background check out there, just don't ban anything.
    Must be scary not having a well regulated militia.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Bingo.

Things are better now according to facts, and I like facts. You should talk to your students about how to balance what's going on in the world with what's presented to them on the internet. How they can control the flow, digest it and find truths vs. dramatic, fear inducing individual acts of horror. And yes, we've had mass killings since the weapons were invented.
    Thank you for the lesson plan. I never thought of that before . . .
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,359

mcgruff10 said:

Bingo.

I'm sick of it. Not enough to vote for Trump, but I do understand where his supporters are coming from. It's not practical to deport or ban an entire group, but dang if we shouldn't try to keep the ones out who don't deserve our hospitality. I mean, what the hell? We've lost thousands of American lives trying to defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan, yet we allow an Afghan immigrant broadcast a pro-Taliban TV show from California? That's just so jacked up. I see no good solution. Our leaders are hamstrung by our own Constitution to do anything about it. I feel so helpless and hopeless every time I think about it. </blockquote

US must get the fuck out of Middle East period !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited June 2016

mcgruff10 said:

mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah it's awesome to think that if I go out to eat or get gas after hunting with my dad I could spend 3-5 years in jail because I left my unloaded shotgun in my vehicle. Stupid fucking state.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah it's awesome to think that if I go out to eat or get gas after hunting with my dad I could spend 3-5 years in jail because I left my unloaded shotgun in my vehicle. Stupid fucking state.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,806
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Simple enough to say the phrase or display that sign, but...how to actually get there?
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited June 2016
    Just because this guy pledged allegence to ISIS moments before he died does not make him ISIS.

We should not give them credit simply for his deranged last words.

Here's what I think will come out.

He was Gay... but his religion screwed with his head told him he was going to hell. He was mentally ill and that compounded it. Add he is a gun nut that took selfies of himself in law enforcement shirts..... Easy access to firearms... voices in his head...

but still WTF we spend BILLIONS on Homeland Security, FBI, ATF,,,yada yada yada. but can still buy an AR15 after being on the No Fly List? Our Country is NUTS!
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,578
    Mahmoud ElAwadi - -Yes my name is Mahmoud a proud Muslim... | Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/mahmoud.elawadi.9/posts/10156962733160720

-Yes my name is Mahmoud a proud Muslim American .
    -Yes I donated blood even though I can't eat or drink anything cause I'm fasting in our holy month Ramadan just like hundreds of other Muslims who donated today here in Orlando .
    -Yes I'm angry for what happened last night and all the innocent lives we lost .
    -Yes I'm sad , frustrated and mad that a crazy guy claim to be a Muslim did that shameful act.
    -Yes I witnessed the greatness of this country watching thousands of people standing in 92 degree sun waiting on their turn to donate blood even after they were told that the wait time is 5-7 hours .
    -Yes this is the greatest nation on earth watching people from different a ages including kids volunteering to give water , juice , food , umbrellas , sun block. Also watching our old veterans coming to donate And next to them Muslim women in hijab carrying food and water to donors standing in line .
    -Yes together we will stand against hate , terrorism , extremism and racism .
    -Yes our blood all look the same so get out there and donate blood cause our fellow American citizens are injured and need our blood .
    Yes our community in central Florida is heart broken but let's put our colors , religions , ethnicity , sexual orientation , political views all aside so we can UNITE against those who are trying to hurt us
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,806
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,331
    It's hard to tell which is worse - the fact that, when we saw the news yesterday about the Orlando shooting, my wife and I initially dismissed it as "just another shooting in America"; or that so many people still refuse to accept that the country has a gun problem. It's almost getting to the point where we're numb to it now, it's just one of those things that happens.

A lot of people have mentioned Australia's gun amnesty again over the past few days (It's true, it's great here without guns!) Unfortunately, that will never happy in the US because there are just too many guns out there, and too many people that still think they're a good idea.

This isn't an anti-US post by any means. I've only been there 3 times, and I really enjoyed my time there, but it's hard to believe you can ever really feel safe there.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    goldrush said:

It's hard to tell which is worse - the fact that, when we saw the news yesterday about the Orlando shooting, my wife and I initially dismissed it as "just another shooting in America"; or that so many people still refuse to accept that the country has a gun problem. It's almost getting to the point where we're numb to it now, it's just one of those things that happens.

A lot of people have mentioned Australia's gun amnesty again over the past few days (It's true, it's great here without guns!) Unfortunately, that will never happy in the US because there are just too many guns out there, and too many people that still think they're a good idea.

This isn't an anti-US post by any means. I've only been there 3 times, and I really enjoyed my time there, but it's hard to believe you can ever really feel safe there.

ditto we have more knife attacks and one hit punches over here but rarely guns
    otherwise it would be worse here i hate the thought which is why id never live in america