Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    I've seen Rush 4 or 5 times and Tool a dozen or more. The drum solos are neat but not a high point of either set for me. I would always prefer an extra song or two instead.

Of course if I had my preference, I would prefer to hear a Tool song over a Danny Carey drum solo.

With that being said however, you'll never hear me complain about sitting through a Danny Carey Drum solo.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    pjl44 said:
    I've seen Rush 4 or 5 times and Tool a dozen or more. The drum solos are neat but not a high point of either set for me. I would always prefer an extra song or two instead.

Of course if I had my preference, I would prefer to hear a Tool song over a Danny Carey drum solo.

With that being said however, you'll never hear me complain about sitting through a Danny Carey Drum solo.

pjl44 said:
     At a Tool show, I would agree because their setlists are so short.  But Rush played 30 songs for 3 hours a night.  The drum solo never took anything away from the rest of the set.

I'm probably in the minority on this one (especially with these two bands), but drum solos are just not my jam

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

pjl44 said:
     At a Tool show, I would agree because their setlists are so short.  But Rush played 30 songs for 3 hours a night.  The drum solo never took anything away from the rest of the set.

I'm probably in the minority on this one (especially with these two bands), but drum solos are just not my jam

Yeah I get it.  No worries, I'm in the overall minority (or majority, whatever way it falls) with you.  There are few I can make an exception for, Neil is one.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

Meh... it's music, it's subjective. To each his own.

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    The only good drum solo I've seen live was the Allman Brothers. 
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 824
    Still a bit taken aback from ol' Dewie referring to Danny as limited. We must be listening to different drummers. Could be a well thought out troll though, some Tool fans can be rather precious.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    JT167846 said:
    Still a bit taken aback from ol' Dewie referring to Danny as limited. We must be listening to different drummers. Could be a well thought out troll though, some Tool fans can be rather precious.
    Not ability wise but style wise, relative to Neil Peart and some other well rounded rock drummers. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    JT167846 said:
    Not ability wise but style wise, relative to Neil Peart and some other well rounded rock drummers. 
    I am having this discussion w a drummer pal of mine.  He says Danny is good but not the best.

I ask him if he hears the same things that I do, lol?

This is also from a guy that ranks Alex VanHalen as an elite drummer...
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    JT167846 said:
    I am having this discussion w a drummer pal of mine.  He says Danny is good but not the best.

As far as his drumming coordination and the difficulty of what he is able to pull off, there is no one better. I just meant it as more of a listening experience. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    JT167846 said:

As far as his drumming coordination and the difficulty of what he is able to pull off, there is no one better. I just meant it as more of a listening experience. 
    I agree except for the ladder but my buddy agrees in the reverse of you, lol.

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    JT167846 said:

Carey is right up there with Peart in my book.

AVH is definitely an elite drummer, Hagar said he’s the best drummer he ever played with and was much better drunk than sober which was probably most of the time back then lol. A total prankster.

Check this out...he gets the drums sounding like a motorcycle around 4:30 like wtf...
    https://youtu.be/7sJ6pFK5DOI
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
     :o 
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    Yeah Hot For Teacher is insane. Only saw them once-was their first ever gig with Gary Cherone-sadly they didn't play it.

I'm a DC fanboy I freely admit but I'm a fanboy for a reason. Maybe check out Volto for a different setting. To me his ability to compose polyrhythms with insane virtuosity and make them so easy on the ear that they add to the awesome riffs his mates create and make them accessible isn't bettered.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    Yeah Hot For Teacher is insane. Only saw them once-was their first ever gig with Gary Cherone-sadly they didn't play it.

I'm a DC fanboy I freely admit but I'm a fanboy for a reason. Maybe check out Volto for a different setting. To me his ability to compose polyrhythms with insane virtuosity and make them so easy on the ear that they add to the awesome riffs his mates create and make them accessible isn't bettered.
    I agree with all of this, including the Hot for Teacher part.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,871
    edited December 2019
    Back to TOOL.

so yesterday the last copy of the extended book cd version was next to the register at one of my local record shops. was doing some secret santa shopping. bought it on a whim.

Cant think of a better disc to break in my new 6 disc changer.Through my stereo his vocals have greater clarity when he goes low.

Anyway, reading through the book which is really a lyrics sheet with individual pictures of the band done to look like oil paintings and filled with other images from this records theme visually. It also has this set of 3D pictures which are opaque on the back but let light through to create an even cooler effect.

The technical credits say it was recorded on 2 inch analog tape and transfered over to digital.
    Suggests to me vinyl could be in the offing?

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Back to TOOL.

so yesterday the last copy of the extended book cd version was next to the register at one of my local record shops. was doing some secret santa shopping. bought it on a whim.

Cant think of a better disc to break in my new 6 disc changer.Through my stereo his vocals have greater clarity when he goes low.

Anyway, reading through the book which is really a lyrics sheet with individual pictures of the band done to look like oil paintings and filled with other images from this records theme visually. The technical crdits say it was recorded on 2 inch analog tape and transfered over to digital.

Yeah, word has been there will be a vinyl release at some point 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Back to TOOL.

Anyway, reading through the book which is really a lyrics sheet with individual pictures of the band done to look like oil paintings and filled with other images from this records theme visually. The technical crdits say it was recorded on 2 inch analog tape and transfered over to digital.

Have a friend that did vip in cincy last month.
    I asked him to ask if vinyl was forthcoming. Not just this release but the catalog. Adam says they are working on it......

Can assume/hope it would contain some killer graphics as well? otherwise, they have the imaging for the sleeves and covers. Maybe they would want to remaster the back catalog, who knows. All I know is I want to wait for official releases and not get some of the pirated/bootleg shit that's out there. Almost bought Aenima and 10,000 Days yesterday.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    I'm hoping they release the entire catalogue on vinyl. Some of the albums available have bad reviews for quality issues and I've been hesitant to buy them.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    GB281198 said:
    I'm hoping they release the entire catalogue on vinyl. Some of the albums available have bad reviews for quality issues and I've been hesitant to buy them.
    me too. Recently got Opiate and Undertow. first glance them seem legit. the two I passed on yesterday had nothing in the way of barcodes, copyright or other legalese usually printed on the cover, ya know? Which isnt to say the bootleggers wouldn't have that printed too, but record shops could face consequences couldnt they for selling fakes with illegal representation of copyrighting?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Back to TOOL.

Have a friend that did vip in cincy last month.
    I asked him to ask if vinyl was forthcoming. Not just this release but the catalog. Adam says they are working on it......

Can assume/hope it would contain some killer graphics as well? otherwise, they have the imaging for the sleeves and covers. Maybe they would want to remaster the back catalog, who knows. All I know is I want to wait for official releases and not get some of the pirated/bootleg shit that's out there. Almost bought Aenima and 10,000 Days yesterday.
    It was back before the album came out but I seem to remember the back catalogue vinyl releases being discussed. Like that was going to happen, too. Even if I'm remembering correctly, I suppose we're also subject to traditional Tool timelines.
  • Options
    Adam posts over at the Hoffman forums and I’d guess it’s been 2 or 3 years since he posted reissues were forthcoming.
  • Options
    Forthcoming. 🤣🤣🤣
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited January 2020
    Bonnaroo confirmed.... now bring on more dates, please. 

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    I see them next month for the first time since 2007. I'm so hard a possum couldn't climb me.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    I see them next month for the first time since 2007. I'm so hard a possum couldn't climb me.
    Image result for i wanna shoot you so bad my dicks hard
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,931
    edited January 2020
    Looking forward to this leg. Saw them In Boston & Mohegan Sun in November. Anyone going tonight? Curious if they'll keep the majority of the set list the same or mix in another new track (Culling Voices or 7empest maybe).
    Post edited by lmckenney24 on
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I see them Wednesday next week. Bring on 7empest and Third Eye. 
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,931
    I see them Wednesday next week. Bring on 7empest and Third Eye. 
    I am really hoping for 7empest. I get them again the 28th. If you didn't see the first leg, Pnuema was unreal live.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,146
    Danny has a tough night ahead. Check out the Tool sub. A fitting tribute.
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Danny has a tough night ahead. Check out the Tool sub. A fitting tribute.
    What the hell is a Tool sub? Is it the new five dollar foot long at Subway?