Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    NSL said:
    SJ54844 said:
    NSL said:
    Dallas was great last night.  3rd show i've seen on this tour (Raleigh and Houston last year also).  
    Why would you spent that much to hear the same set list 3x?? I doubt tool will ever switch their set lists because they have bat shit crazy fans who over emphasize the experience. Drummer yah but that’s it. Maybe a little karma to Adam on the newest album too. 

I'd gladly pay to hear that same setlist 4 times.  Thanks for your comment though
    Me too. That set list is perfection. Do I miss Third Eye and dream of 7empest. Yes but my jaw still hurts from dropping so hard during Tool’s whole set. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    Grammy winners!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    "Somebody get that Bob Marley wannabe motherfucker out of here!"
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    Yeahhhh!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It's funny - where I used to turn to PJ, I now turn to Tool...I just relate to it more, lyrically, musically, tonally.  The whole goddamn package.

They're my fucked up panacea.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797
    hedonist said:
    It's funny - where I used to turn to PJ, I now turn to Tool...I just relate to it more, lyrically, musically, tonally.  The whole goddamn package.

they're my spiritual guide...     Lateralus is an out of mind /body tantric experience for me....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    hedonist said:

Well... FI is incredible.

Hopefully Giga is as well. But for me it's not off to a great start.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

IDK...... its not backspacer or leftover backspacer.....so thats an improvement.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    hedonist said:

+1

• Options
    soooo 3 months later, my toolarmy shit has shipped......wtf

• Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,001
    Tool in a few weeks in Melbourne, can't fn wait
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 820
    Tool in a few weeks in Melbourne, can't fn wait
    Hell yeah. I'm at the end of a six week trip around Asia and I get to come back to my cousin's wedding and the Auckland double header. Then Gigaton four weeks after that-life is exciting right now.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    soooo 3 months later, my toolarmy shit has shipped......wtf
    Ask them for my sweatshirt I ordered 8 years ago.  I'm still an XL in case they ask...
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,275
    Perth poster looks awesome!!! 
    Hope we get a good one in Brisbane on Thursday :prayer:
    Does anyone know what the deal is with the signed ones?? 
    Are they random or just pay extra like EV?? 
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    redraw said:
    For the US shows, the signed ones were sold at the same tables, just extra. Usually a lot more. I think $300 in DC. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,275
    ^^
    Thanks for the info 
    Really looking forward to the gig!!! 
    If anyone is after a poster or merch from Aus just let me know - I'm happy to help out  =)
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    redraw said:
    ^^
    Thanks for the info 
    If anyone is after a poster or merch from Aus just let me know - I'm happy to help out  =)
    Get there early, like first person in line early if you want to guarantee getting a poster. The market for these things is insane right now.
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    redraw said:
    ^^
    Thanks for the info 
    Be interested in most any unsigned from the Australia run if you get one, especially a Chet Zar.....pm me and let me know, thanks!
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

IDK...... its not backspacer or leftover backspacer.....so thats an improvement.

Never thought it would be the case but so far the new PJ is more forward looking/thinking than either FI and 10k Days.
  • Options
    redraw said:
    Same design as the Barclays and San Diego, TN posters...  His horns are growing though.
  • Options
    Looking for help with tips on possibility of picking up a ticket (happy with any seat) for the show in Portland next month from a UK visitor who happens to be in town at the same time and isn't use to the US ticketing systems. Is stubhub a good/only option? Appreciate any advice.
  • Options
    tusevuntusevun Posts: 218
    edited February 2020
    Post edited by tusevun on
  • Options
    Looking for help with tips on possibility of picking up a ticket (happy with any seat) for the show in Portland next month from a UK visitor who happens to be in town at the same time and isn't use to the US ticketing systems. Is stubhub a good/only option? Appreciate any advice.

Stubhub has a guarantee behind their tickets...there’s also the verified Ticketmaster resale tickets.

Those are your safest bets, as far as not getting scammed.

You're going to pay through the nose however... if you have the will power to hold out until the last minute, that will be your best bet of getting the least expensive ticket.

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

Never thought it would be the case but so far the new PJ is more forward looking/thinking than either FI and 10k Days.

Super Blood Wolf Moon (which I haven't heard yet) must really be something, because I don't find Dance of the Clairvoyants half as interesting as anything from 10K Days or FI.

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

Super Blood Wolf Moon (which I haven't heard yet) must really be something, because I don't find Dance of the Clairvoyants half as interesting as anything from 10K Days or FI.

title is more interesting than the song...

• Options
    edited February 2020
    They’re not PJ’s best but at least they’re not 97% rehashes.

Not trying to hate or say it’s terrible, there’s just nothing we haven’t already heard musically and despite being responsible for a lot of the new sounds on FI, there’s a real lack of MJK content. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited February 2020
    DewieCox said:

Not trying to hate or say it’s terrible, there’s just nothing we haven’t already heard musically and despite being responsible for a lot of the new sounds on FI, there’s a real lack of MJK content. 

You think Descending & Invincible are rehashes?

Of what?

Edit: I'm also curious as to what you thought on 10K was rehashed material. While it's my least favorite Tool album, it still has plenty of interesting stuff, and I thought Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, & Right in Two are as good as anything Tool has ever written. What other Tool songs do you hear when you listen to those?

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

title is more interesting than the song...

Man... you weren't kidding.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Of what?

Edit: I'm also curious as to what you thought on 10K was rehashed material. While it's my least favorite Tool album, it still has plenty of interesting stuff, and I thought Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, & Right in Two are as good as anything Tool has ever written. What other Tool songs do you hear when you listen to those?

Invincible has tons of Rosetta Stoned, and the Jambi pull of think. Synth stuff is pretty fresh if you don’t listen to their life stuff. When it’s not that it’s the  drop d chug locking in and out of rhythm with the drums. 

Descending, which is my favorite song on the album takes a lot from their cover of You Lied and segues into some pretty Wings For Marie territory. 

Right In Two is the Salival version of Pushit altered very slightly, which actually harkens to the bridge of the album version. Has the wah sweep trick from 46 &2 which shows nip again a couple times on FI, but that’s admittedly gettin a bit picky with it. 

Again, I dig all these songs to different extents l. There’s just nothing unexpected like with past albums.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

Of what?

Invincible has tons of Rosetta Stoned, and the Jambi pull of think. Synth stuff is pretty fresh if you don’t listen to their life stuff. When it’s not that it’s the  drop d chug locking in and out of rhythm with the drums. 

Descending, which is my favorite song on the album takes a lot from their cover of You Lied and segues into some pretty Wings For Marie territory. 

Right In Two is the Salival version of Pushit altered very slightly, which actually harkens to the bridge of the album version. Has the wah sweep trick from 46 &2 which shows nip again a couple times on FI, but that’s admittedly gettin a bit picky with it. 

Again, I dig all these songs to different extents l. There’s just nothing unexpected like with past albums.

I think that Right in Two comparison is a bit of a stretch, but hey.. it's all subjective, right?

What about the rest of 10K Days?

You said the last two albums were 97% rehashed, but you didn't say what feels rehashed about RS or Jambi, you only mentioned how you think they repeat elements or tricks from those songs in Invincible.

I don't see how Jambi, or Wings for Marie* or Rosetta Stoned or really the rest of that album is a rehash of Tool's prior work.

* I find Wings 1 & 2 boring AF, but to me they are anything but rehashed.

IMO, most of what you say sounds a little picky, but maybe you just have a better ear / are more discerning of a listener than me. I think FI is fantastic... sure an occasional bass line or wah pedal sounds similar to other things they've done on past albums, but not so much to me that these don't sound like different tunes that hold up on their own.