Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    myoung321 said:

My seat sucked, the beer was $$$, the setlist was awful, the beer was $$$, not as good as the ### time I saw them, GA is soft, ___ not my favorite album...Evenbros.. ...."My seat sucked, the beer was $$$, the setlist was awful, the beer was $$$, not as good as the ### time I saw them, GA is soft, ___ not my favorite album...Evenbros.......My seat sucked, the beer was $$$, the setlist was awful, the beer was $$$, not as good as the ### time I saw them, GA is soft, ___ not my favorite album...Evenbros..

Someone please reach over and bump the turntable, I think it's stuck again.

tour time.....tour time......tour time........tour time..........tour time.........tour time......

yeah this record sucks!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    word em up
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    PhishinPearlsPhishinPearls NYC Posts: 60
    myoung321 said:

My seat sucked, the beer was $$$, the setlist was awful, the beer was $$$, not as good as the ### time I saw them, GA is soft, ___ not my favorite album...Evenbros.. ...."My seat sucked, the beer was $$$, the setlist was awful, the beer was $$$, not as good as the ### time I saw them, GA is soft, ___ not my favorite album...Evenbros.......My seat sucked, the beer was $$$, the setlist was awful, the beer was $$$, not as good as the ### time I saw them, GA is soft, ___ not my favorite album...Evenbros..

Someone please reach over and bump the turntable, I think it's stuck again.

If that's how you're going to act, then you're clearly not thinking deeply or even reading what I'm writing. Didn't realize we have to come on here just to only praise the band. This band is unique because of the diversity of what they play. We've seen that diminish in the last few years, and MSG2 is a prime and disappointing example of it.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    99.9% of bands play the exact same setlist every night. Who gives a flying fuck if Pearl Jam repeats 8 or 9 songs out of 33 from the previous night? For Christ's sake.
  • Options

99.9% of bands play the exact same setlist every night. Who gives a flying fuck if Pearl Jam repeats 8 or 9 songs out of 33 from the previous night? For Christ's sake.

I do, and a lot of other fans do.
  • Options
    easy solution... don't go to the shows.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Surprising how close-minded some of you are to healthy criticism and an honest discussion of the songs the band plays at shows.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    25 different songs each night in any two-night run sounds pretty damn diverse to me. Most bands don't even play 25 songs a night, let alone 25 different ones.
  • Options

25 different songs each night in any two-night run sounds pretty damn diverse to me. Most bands don't even play 25 songs a night, let alone 25 different ones.

surprising how easy that is for some fans to recognize.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

to be fair most bands also don't have people attending multiple shows... the reason this is a traveling fan base that attends multiple shows per tour is the chance to hear different shit... I have no problem with someone that doesn't LOVE hearing the same song 3 out of 4 nights... I also understand why the band plays those same 8-10 "hits" every night... i just happen to not give a shit about the casual fans... so pardon me while I go take a piss during Even Flow lol
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    edited May 2016
    my2hands said:

to be fair most bands also don't have people attending multiple shows... the reason this is a traveling fan base that attends multiple shows per tour is the chance to hear different shit... I have no problem with someone that doesn't LOVE hearing the same song 3 out of 4 nights... I also understand why the band plays those same 8-10 "hits" every night... i just happen to not give a shit about the casual fans... so pardon me while I go take a piss during Even Flow lol
    Up to the Philly shows, they had played 115 different songs through 9 shows, and I know that's increased quite a bit. I'd say they are playing some different shit.

Are they not mixing it up more than usual? Maybe. But they are also getting older and maybe a little more set in their ways. I think they are in a no win situation here.

Post edited by CantKeepmedown on
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    mcgruff10 said:

my favorite three is 1. no code 2. yield 3. vitalogy.
    I do agree that binaural/riot act is there most different record. Like I said, it just never caught my ear. Although I did see them play 8 times in 2000 and 11 times in 2003 in support of riot act lol.

Vitalogy, No Code and Yield for me.

The more I read this thread, the more I can't wait for the MSG boots :sunglasses:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

Surprising how close-minded some of you are to healthy criticism and an honest discussion of the songs the band plays at shows.

surprising how you don't seem to understand the difference between healthy criticism and an asinine statement like 'mailing it in' is.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    PHISH!!!
  • Options

PHISH!!!

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

The more I read this thread, the more I can't wait for the MSG boots :sunglasses:

Me too. The "official" Sting vid is pretty good.

https://youtu.be/8ZwCAF4xyJQ
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    It also depends on what you consider a great show. I'll take an amazing crowd and the band playing like they've been playing over a "one-for-the-ages" setlist any day.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Pearl Jam nailed it in on Monday night.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    DeLukin said:

It also depends on what you consider a great show. I'll take an amazing crowd and the band playing like they've been playing over a "one-for-the-ages" setlist any day.

100% agree.
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410

I'm going to preface this by saying MSG2 was my first show in six years. Not because I love the band any less, but sometimes life gets in the way, and lots of things happen - before you know it, it's been six years. But I've also seen my fair share of shows - some spectacular shows (Borgata 2 in 05, my first show, followed by the Philly 05 show, the final two shows at the Spectrum) and some mediocre ones (Camden and Mansfield in 08).

Knowing what this band can do, having seen them many times on back to back nights, having seen them really dig into their catalogue, etc., I can honestly say last night's show was a huge disappointment.

I don't come to see Pearl Jam to hear their greatest hits, and I can safely say the majority of us don't come to hear a greatest hits album either, but that's what we basically got. 7 songs off of Ten, 7 covers, 4 from LB, 3 from Vs. and 3 from Vitalogy. 75% of the show was either their newest album, not their stuff, or written before 1995. I know that's how this band actually got popular, but the reason they developed a devout following was because of albums like No Code, Yield, Binaural, and Riot Act.

Yes, it was great to see All or None, great to see Present Tense, great to see Breath. But a few songs in a first encore a show does not make. And frankly, the encore wasn't spectacular even with those songs.

Think of shows like 10/3/05 in Philly - a first set that had Wash, Brain of J, Faithfull, Sad, Alone, and Green Disease in the first 10 songs alone.

It's MSG. It's the second night in the same city, and they chose to play it safe and play their hits, which is their right. But let's not fool ourselves and say what a great show this was. It wasn't, and it wasn't even close. I recognize the guys are getting long in the tooth, I recognize it's the fourth show in five nights, but they can be so much better than what they gave us last night. This isn't sour grapes, it's just an honest assessment.

shitty post imo ... good god the sense of entitlement we have ... maybe the band needs a quick trump lecture ... #makePJgreatagain .... EYES ROLLING!!!!!!
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    SEACIDE said:

I'm going to preface this by saying MSG2 was my first show in six years. Not because I love the band any less, but sometimes life gets in the way, and lots of things happen - before you know it, it's been six years. But I've also seen my fair share of shows - some spectacular shows (Borgata 2 in 05, my first show, followed by the Philly 05 show, the final two shows at the Spectrum) and some mediocre ones (Camden and Mansfield in 08).

Knowing what this band can do, having seen them many times on back to back nights, having seen them really dig into their catalogue, etc., I can honestly say last night's show was a huge disappointment.

I don't come to see Pearl Jam to hear their greatest hits, and I can safely say the majority of us don't come to hear a greatest hits album either, but that's what we basically got. 7 songs off of Ten, 7 covers, 4 from LB, 3 from Vs. and 3 from Vitalogy. 75% of the show was either their newest album, not their stuff, or written before 1995. I know that's how this band actually got popular, but the reason they developed a devout following was because of albums like No Code, Yield, Binaural, and Riot Act.

Yes, it was great to see All or None, great to see Present Tense, great to see Breath. But a few songs in a first encore a show does not make. And frankly, the encore wasn't spectacular even with those songs.

Think of shows like 10/3/05 in Philly - a first set that had Wash, Brain of J, Faithfull, Sad, Alone, and Green Disease in the first 10 songs alone.

It's MSG. It's the second night in the same city, and they chose to play it safe and play their hits, which is their right. But let's not fool ourselves and say what a great show this was. It wasn't, and it wasn't even close. I recognize the guys are getting long in the tooth, I recognize it's the fourth show in five nights, but they can be so much better than what they gave us last night. This isn't sour grapes, it's just an honest assessment.

shitty post imo ... good god the sense of entitlement we have ... maybe the band needs a quick trump lecture ... #makePJgreatagain .... EYES ROLLING!!!!!!
    Sorry you feel that way. I think it's a healthy criticism of a band that's made is mark playing diverse sets every night, and played a very standard show at the world's most famous arena.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

surprising how you don't seem to understand the difference between healthy criticism and an asinine statement like 'mailing it in' is.
    And again, like I said - that setlist is mailed in - not the effort of how they actually played the songs.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

SEACIDE said:

Sorry you feel that way. I think it's a healthy criticism of a band that's made is mark playing diverse sets every night, and played a very standard show at the world's most famous arena.
    you always have PHISH
  • Options

you always have PHISH

Correct. Not sure what one has to do with the other, but okay.
  • Options
    The Live at the Garden DVD seems like the show you wanted.

• Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    mcgruff10 said:

KP_McMinn said:

It surprises me that phrases such as, "empirically incorrect" and "no way in hell" that PJ may be just as, if not more popular now, than they were in the 90's?? Again, if you look back, and really think about it, they were only really SUPER popular for a short time (3-4 years). 96 no code, a lot of fans became uninterested and went another direction (not me) that is a fact (check record sales). Moreover, they just sold out PHILLY 2 nights, MSG 2 nights, Wrigley and Fenway 2 nights each, in like 4 minutes, correct? You cannot sit there with a straight face and say that PJ is not just as, if not more popular now, then the mid to late 90's.
    Further to your point of, "kids in their 20's aren't going to see PJ". Where did you find that statistic? Was that just an observation from the shows you just went to? From the 3 shows i just saw, there were plenty of the younger generation.

Yes from the 3 shows that I went to I really didn't see many young kids in their 20's. Sure you had the occasional 7-14 year old with their parents but the vast majority of the people sitting in my sections and in the hallways (correct usage of word?) at all three shows were probably 35 years of age and up.
    And like I said, you cannot compare the popularity of pj in the mid 90's to now. They were literally on the front of time magazine! Ten sold more than 10 million and vs. sold almost a million in a week! There is no way pj can even come close to that now.

Its all good man, i happen to agree with your main point. Seems like they jsut let their foot off the gas a lil

you always have PHISH

Correct. Not sure what one has to do with the other, but okay.

I loved your post, and all the subsequent discussions that followed...I def understand what you are saying, no doubt. Its fine to feel that way, i happen to agree with most of what you said actually, in terms of qty of repeats and "hits" and what-not...They def played it safe, but there was a few GEMS in there, and anytime you can get a few GEMS, it only adds to the night....
  • Options
    SputNickSputNick Posts: 104

Smellyman said:

And again, like I said - that setlist is mailed in - not the effort of how they actually played the songs.
    Agree!
    - Yes SETLIST was mailed in and always in comparison to the setlist of the night before in the same venue. Setlists from Canada are also in support to the argument.
    - Band effort, delivery of songs and energy was NOT mailed in.

By the way during encore breaks in MSG1 this year, I felt people were not cheering much for the band to go out on stage again. I remember from other shows (Brooklyn '13, even MSG2) it was much better. I mean, we know they do 2 encores but we should not take it for granted. Does anyone have the same impression? It could be also that I was sitting very high up...
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Ten > Pearl Jam > Dark Matter > Gigaton > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • Options
    SputNick said:

Smellyman said:

Agree!
    - Yes SETLIST was mailed in and always in comparison to the setlist of the night before in the same venue. Setlists from Canada are also in support to the argument.
    - Band effort, delivery of songs and energy was NOT mailed in.

This is all I'm saying.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213

Smellyman said:

except the percentages of unique songs in this MSG run varies very little from previous MSG runs. the facts don't support the argument you and others are making. at most you are talking 1 or 2 extra songs repeated but with more total overall songs played. no discernible differences today than previous MSG runs.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Smellyman said:

except the percentages of unique songs in this MSG run varies very little from previous MSG runs. the facts don't support the argument you and others are making. at most you are talking 1 or 2 extra songs repeated but with more total overall songs played. no discernible differences today than previous MSG runs.
    preaching to the oblivious