Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    PhishinPearlsPhishinPearls NYC Posts: 60
    pjhawks said:

Smellyman said:

Surprising how close-minded some of you are to healthy criticism and an honest discussion of the songs the band plays at shows.

surprising how you don't seem to understand the difference between healthy criticism and an asinine statement like 'mailing it in' is.
    And again, like I said - that setlist is mailed in - not the effort of how they actually played the songs.
    except the percentages of unique songs in this MSG run varies very little from previous MSG runs. the facts don't support the argument you and others are making. at most you are talking 1 or 2 extra songs repeated but with more total overall songs played. no discernible differences today than previous MSG runs.
    I'm also walking this back to the shows in Philly. And when you do that, there's really nothing unique about the show whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, a typical PJ show is a great concert. But I hold them to a higher standard than other bands.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    They're already at a higher standard than other bands.
  • Options

Right, and within that, they fell far below their own standard with that setlist.
  • Options
    opinion. nothing more. even if the numbers tell the real truth. sucks you didn't like the show. maybe skip them next time around.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    Tiki said:

mcgruff10 said:

The more I read this thread, the more I can't wait for the MSG boots :sunglasses:

Me too. The "official" Sting vid is pretty good.

https://youtu.be/8ZwCAF4xyJQ
    Sick video. Imagine they releases an entire show!?
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    SputNick said:

By the way during encore breaks in MSG1 this year, I felt people were not cheering much for the band to go out on stage again. I remember from other shows (Brooklyn '13, even MSG2) it was much better. I mean, we know they do 2 encores but we should not take it for granted. Does anyone have the same impression? It could be also that I was sitting very high up...

I agree. Maybe it was because I was deaf from the first set but it did seem pretty quiet. I think the two encores is basically taken for granted nowadays so people view it as a chance to check their phones.
  • Options

opinion. nothing more. even if the numbers tell the real truth. sucks you didn't like the show. maybe skip them next time around.

No need to skip. I love this band and I've seen some great shows. Just because they have one off night doesn't mean I'll stop going. But we can give an honest assessment which is what I'm doing.
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    When will this thread finally die?
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJ212 said:

Well you commenting on it certainly won't help your cause.
  • Options

Right, and within that, they fell far below their own standard with that setlist.
    Whose standard did they fall below? Certainly not their own. I don't think you know what the member's of the band standards are.
  • Options

Whose standard did they fall below? Certainly not their own. I don't think you know what the member's of the band standards are.
    The standard they've set over the last 20+ years as a band that plays incredibly diverse setlists.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816

The standard they've set over the last 20+ years as a band that plays incredibly diverse setlists.
    Wait, you went to only MSG 2 and you're complaining?

I went to both philly and MSG 1 so I saw even more repeats then people who only went to night 1 and I was very happy with the show. I'm not trying to jump on you but if you only saw this one show, how could not be satisfied?
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    To the OP...Honest question, what did you think about Toronto 2?
  • Options
    KP_McMinn said:

Didn't love the open...the collection of Why Go/Cord/MYM has become far too common to open a show. Great that they played BoJ...could've easily put that at the top.

Nice to see RA get some love w/ I Am Mine/Cropduster/Green Disease. To me, overall, a nice first set. Not mind-blowing, I'd put it a notch or two over MSG2.

1st encore: Inside Job is under-played, so that's nice to see. Oceans is a relative rarity that's getting some love this tour, and can't go wrong with Breath. Disappointing again to see Porch in a 1st encore closing slot.

2nd encore: Nearly exactly the same 2nd encore as MSG2 and Philly2 for the most part. Disappointing. A lot of other tunes could have been played here.

To me, maybe a step above MSG2 from a setlist standpoint. But nothing to write home about.
  • Options

KP_McMinn said:

Didn't love the open...the collection of Why Go/Cord/MYM has become far too common to open a show. Great that they played BoJ...could've easily put that at the top.

Nice to see RA get some love w/ I Am Mine/Cropduster/Green Disease. To me, overall, a nice first set. Not mind-blowing, I'd put it a notch or two over MSG2.

1st encore: Inside Job is under-played, so that's nice to see. Oceans is a relative rarity that's getting some love this tour, and can't go wrong with Breath. Disappointing again to see Porch in a 1st encore closing slot.

2nd encore: Nearly exactly the same 2nd encore as MSG2 and Philly2 for the most part. Disappointing. A lot of other tunes could have been played here.

To me, maybe a step above MSG2 from a setlist standpoint. But nothing to write home about.
    :rofl:
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

KP_McMinn said:

:rofl:
    this guy is a tough customer... you sure you don't write for pitchfork?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Sorry y'all don't agree.
  • Options

You mean the exaggerated expectation YOU have set for them to play 35 completely different songs two nights in a row? It's already been shown that the two MSG sets are not out of the norm as far as song differential compared to any other 2 night run.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    edited May 2016
    PHISH!!! WWPD?
    Post edited by rustneversleeps on
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422

PHISH!!! WWPD?

Play long, shitty piano solos.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited May 2016

No need to skip. I love this band and I've seen some great shows. Just because they have one off night doesn't mean I'll stop going. But we can give an honest assessment which is what I'm doing.
    They didn't
  • Options
    TL170678 said:

PHISH!!! WWPD?

Play long, shitty piano solos.
    who's got the worms? i love to fish!
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924

pjhawks said:

Smellyman said:

Surprising how close-minded some of you are to healthy criticism and an honest discussion of the songs the band plays at shows.

surprising how you don't seem to understand the difference between healthy criticism and an asinine statement like 'mailing it in' is.
    And again, like I said - that setlist is mailed in - not the effort of how they actually played the songs.
    except the percentages of unique songs in this MSG run varies very little from previous MSG runs. the facts don't support the argument you and others are making. at most you are talking 1 or 2 extra songs repeated but with more total overall songs played. no discernible differences today than previous MSG runs.
    I'm also walking this back to the shows in Philly. And when you do that, there's really nothing unique about the show whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, a typical PJ show is a great concert. But I hold them to a higher standard than other bands.
    Was any show really that unique to you? You didn't like the repeats between MSG 1 and 2, which is fine. But criticizing them for playing the same songs in 2 different cities is a bit over the top, no?

17 shows. 152 different songs played. Very, very few bands are doing that nowadays.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816

pjhawks said:

Smellyman said:

Was any show really that unique to you? You didn't like the repeats between MSG 1 and 2, which is fine. But criticizing them for playing the same songs in 2 different cities is a bit over the top, no?

17 shows. 152 different songs played. Very, very few bands are doing that nowadays.
    Criticizing Toronto 2 also lol. Ridiculous. Whatever. Stay home next time
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Stay home next time

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,486
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    I have nothing to add, I just missed not seeing this on page 1 so... BUMP!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    PJ212 said:

Clearly you don't understand the concept behind a forum. Until they allow users to make comments like the OP did, and then self-lock it, the convo will carry on, and on, and on and on....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I won't let this thread die till I remind people that there were complaints following PJ20 about Chris Cornell having too much of a presence and two of the Temple of the Dog songs being repeated at the second show.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022