Options

Disappointed in PJ Fans Today

Comments

• Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    I think the reason for the timing is that they were hoping a change would happen already. They waited until the last feasible moment. It's ridiculous that this has stayed a law for this long. These asshats will have to bend to the will of the people eventually, right?
  • Options
    StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    Cyndi Lauper still put her show on and donated all the profits to the fight against HB2. That's a pretty useful way to fight such a disgraceful law. Is she wrong, does she support the bill?

Pearl Jam could shit on a plate and you clowns would eat it up. Bunch of sheep
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    I agree with the OP - well said..... Have a good day everyone
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    Comparing Cyndi Lauper to Pearl Jam is ludicrous. Cyndi is a long time gay rights activist and her shows are like mini pride events. Her show will do much good for the lgbtq community. Pearl Jam fan base in the US is mainly straight white men many of whom, unfortunately are proving to be less than sympathetic today.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Comparing Cyndi Lauper to Pearl Jam is ludicrous. Cyndi is a long time gay rights activist and her shows are like mini pride events. Her show will do much good for the lgbtq community. Pearl Jam fan base in the US is mainly straight white men many of whom, unfortunately are proving to be less than sympathetic today.

What you're saying makes no sense. Maybe PJ should have put the show on and try and educate these "straight white men" and donating their profits to help fight the law.

Are you also saying that most "straight white men" support this law?
    Post edited by StevieG on
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    StevieG said:

Cyndi Lauper still put her show on and donated all the profits to the fight against HB2. That's a pretty useful way to fight such a disgraceful law. Is she wrong, does she support the bill?

Thanks for the thoughtful, intelligent, and mature addition to the conversation
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    I mean, whose shit is it? Eddie's? Stone's? Is it even human shit we are talking about? Is it sheep shit for the irony factor?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754

(Note: If you read my original post, it's pretty clear that I understand and sympathize with the disappointment/frustration of fans having to miss the show. It's the ridiculous insults and "Pearl Jam is a bunch of followers fucking over its fans!" type shit that is disappointing to me. I do agree with you on the part about implying that hyperbolic fans are not true fans, though.)

I was criticized harshly by some here yesterday for expressing disappointment over fans trashing the band and getting down on those who support the band's action but I think some of that was just disappointed fans lashing out (OK by my, I'm thick skinned enough). Things seem a bit more settled today.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    My pleasure
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120

StevieG said:

By the way after I read the post you quoted and saw you reply, I read your name as Bentleyspoop
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

I mean, whose shit is it? Eddie's? Stone's? Is it even human shit we are talking about? Is it sheep shit for the irony factor?

A little piece of the entire bands, including Boom
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    StevieG said:

As ruminants, sheep do not typically eat feces as they have a second stomach in which to allow food to digest further, which enables them to gain maximum nutrition from it. Unlike say rabbits, who actually have to eat their own feces to extract the nutrients from it.
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

StevieG said:

As ruminants, sheep do not typically eat feces as they have a second stomach in which to allow food to digest further, which enables them to gain maximum nutrition from it. Unlike say rabbits, who actually have to eat their own feces to extract the nutrients from it.
    The consumption of it was not for the nutritional aspect but simply for the pure joy of eating the bands excrement
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880

StevieG said:

By the way after I read the post you quoted and saw you reply, I read your name as Bentleyspoop
    I do that too :lol:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    StevieG said:

The consumption of it was not for the nutritional aspect but simply for the pure joy of eating the bands excrement

Sorry, fecalphilia is an entirely separate thing. My bad.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    wall232 said:

wall232 said:

The fact that some people can't understand why some of the fans are frustrated is frustrating. Some have gone on to call people who don't agree with the timing not true fans, which is a bunch of nonsense.

The fact that some people can't understand why some of the fans are frustrated about other fans' inability to understand Pearl Jam's frustration is frustrating.
    And again, most fans aren't against them cancelling, they are upset with the timing of their cancelling. It's like there are some of you who think they shouldn't be upset. They have every right to voice their opinion just as much as those who support Pearl Jams timing do.
    And again, most fans aren't against fans who are against them canceling or who are upset with the timing of their canceling. I haven't seen anybody on here argue that upset fans shouldn't have the right to voice their opinion. The point of this post, and I believe the point made by others who are frustrated with frustrated fans, is that calling the band and/or supportive fans "sheep", hurling insults at the band, and generally acting like spoiled children about the decision is pretty frustrating and uncalled for (note: none of this is directed to the person I am quoting; it is - as it has been from the time I wrote the original post - directed toward those who refuse to entertain mature conversation about the topic and instead choose to lash out with angry, bitter insults that accomplish nothing).
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options

Its a no win situation for the band. Theyd be criticized no matter what they chose to do. I feel awful for anyone who wasted hard earned money tho. That hurts

I don't think that is true. I think if they made a statement, played the show, donated the $.... Almost no one would have had a problem.

They choose the path they think is right and it was certainly the more difficult path.
    I disagree. I believe that if, in the wake of other artists canceling shows there, Pearl Jam had decided to play, they would have at some point been criticized for not taking a stronger stance against the issue. All part of the price of being a band that wears its politics on its sleeve.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,220
    I only read the first bit. Why is wrong to dissent with the band? I would think this band of all bands would understand dissent. They've dissented with many things over their career.

Pearl Jam aren't infallible. We don't have to agree with everything they do. What would it make fans if we treated the band like infallible religious deities?

I believe in the right for everyone to form their own opinion. People often have different opinions, thus people disagree. It's called freedom.

ps. My own stance was that PJ kind of screwed fan's by cancelling at such a short notice (especially any ones that spent a serious amount of cash for travel/accommodations). I don't fundamentally have a problem with cancelling a show, I only had a problem with it only being 48 hours notice. That's usually not enough to be able to cancel flights/hotels. I also don't believe saying something at a concert is nearly as effective as this. Short of impaling a George W mask, PJ doesn't often make headlines. Had they played the show, most likely the only people that would of known about it are the fans that pay attention.
  • Options
    StevieG said:

A little piece of the entire bands, including Boom
    That's boomshit!

• Options
    Zod said:

I only read the first bit. Why is wrong to dissent with the band? I would think this band of all bands would understand dissent. They've dissented with many things over their career.

Pearl Jam aren't infallible. We don't have to agree with everything they do. What would it make fans if we treated the band like infallible religious deities?

I believe in the right for everyone to form their own opinion. People often have different opinions, thus people disagree. It's called freedom.

ps. My own stance was that PJ kind of screwed fan's by cancelling at such a short notice (especially any ones that spent a serious amount of cash for travel/accommodations). I don't fundamentally have a problem with cancelling a show, I only had a problem with it only being 48 hours notice. That's usually not enough to be able to cancel flights/hotels. I also don't believe saying something at a concert is nearly as effective as this. Short of impaling a George W mask, PJ doesn't often make headlines. Had they played the show, most likely the only people that would of known about it are the fans that pay attention.

Once again, there's nothing wrong with dissenting with the band. But dissenting with the band by calling them sheep and calling those who support their decision sheep is a bit overboard and disappointing in my eyes. It's cool that many have used the topic as a platform for meaningful discussion, but it's disappointing that others have reacted with insults, bitterness, and childish tantrums.

• Options

I'm very curious where you pulled that, if I could use your word, ludicrous assumption that the fan base in the US is mainly straight white men? Have you conducted a survey to support this statement?
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    DT164689DT164689 Posts: 4
    This just in...Still pissed Today....and about to get on 2 flights on my way to Raleigh, only to get picked up by an equally pissed fan that's cool enough to not make me change my route at an extra $270. And regardless of PJ making a stand, they knew about this weeks ago and could have joined in solidarity then and cancelled the concert. Someone at the top, literally decided to wait until the last minute for impact, without any regard to the impact of fans or fully knowing that they would be stuck with hotel reservations and travel costs as they likely didn't want to take too much money from local businesses, but still didn't care that it impacted the fans. And it still remains that this law was being challenged regardless at a federal level, so to cancel a concert to fan goers as if to make a point to the lawmakers not only makes zero impact to the actual lawmakers, it only negatively impacts those loyal to you. Therefore, you lose that loyalty and those that then pick up the torch to further support the cause you support. There are differing viewpoints to this issue and both are relevant, and it's not black and white. Having a friend who made a conscience decision to dress their 9 year old (boy) child as a girl which she gravitated towards her whole life, and see her smile and experience happiness fully as a girl is a beautiful thing. The burden of being born with parts you don't identify with is tremendous and it will certainly be a life-long burden until a surgery or general acceptance by the population by becoming aware of these issues and people. Canceling a concert does nothing for this issue, and I'm out a hell of a lot of money and time, which if cancelled at an earlier time could have been avoided and used to support the cause the band decided to bandwagon on at the last minute. No concert dollars to the cause, no voice at the concert to address the issue, just a blanket band statement about HB2 and cancellation. Lame. Does the NC government run the concert venue at least? I appreciate the comments by those supporting this issue, and agree the law should be struck down, but this still doesn't seem right or fair to fans. yep...still pissed
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    edited April 2016

Zod said:

Once again, there's nothing wrong with dissenting with the band. But dissenting with the band by calling them sheep and calling those who support their decision sheep is a bit overboard and disappointing in my eyes. It's cool that many have used the topic as a platform for meaningful discussion, but it's disappointing that others have reacted with insults, bitterness, and childish tantrums.
    We don't have access to the bully pulpit like Pearl Jam does (emphasis on bully). I think a little bitterness is tame compared to screwing with 15,000 peoples' finances and time.
  • Options
    I find it interesting that so many people are claiming that the band fucked over its fans and doesn't give a shit about its fan base because it canceled the show so close to the date of the performance.

Has anyone stopped to wonder if their reason for doing so was because they really, really wanted to play the show and, perhaps, waited until the last minute because (a) canceling was an extremely difficult decision, and (b) they held out hope that the state would get its bigoted head straight and repeal the bill in time to go on without having to cancel?

Makes me wonder how many people would have been pissed if Pearl Jam HAD canceled two weeks earlier and then claimed the band didn't give a shit about them because they canceled so early without considering the fact that 2 weeks is plenty of time to repeal a bill that has already faced intense criticism and national pressure...

• Options
    Baaaa baaaa
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Post edited by walkunafraid on

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Im not going to NC (not hitting any shows this tour). But Man i feel bad for the NC fans. Shows are amazing vacations/escapes/awesome get togethers. They're also expensive. We get it. Theyre taking a stand against a cruel law. I applaud them for that. Still hurts peoples wallets and while thats not as long lasting as a transgender person being denied its still awful. Telling people to get over it and take the loss is a slap in the face.

Im just bummed for people who were going and by the timing of it.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2016
    People need to stop making excuses for the band... they completely fucked up by waiting to cancel 48 hours before the show

They showed a total disregard for their diehard traveling fanbase by wairing so long... the boycott is not the issue, the timing is the issue
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

wall232 said:

wall232 said:

The fact that some people can't understand why some of the fans are frustrated is frustrating. Some have gone on to call people who don't agree with the timing not true fans, which is a bunch of nonsense.

The fact that some people can't understand why some of the fans are frustrated about other fans' inability to understand Pearl Jam's frustration is frustrating.
    And again, most fans aren't against them cancelling, they are upset with the timing of their cancelling. It's like there are some of you who think they shouldn't be upset. They have every right to voice their opinion just as much as those who support Pearl Jams timing do.
    And again, most fans aren't against fans who are against them canceling or who are upset with the timing of their canceling. I haven't seen anybody on here argue that upset fans shouldn't have the right to voice their opinion. The point of this post, and I believe the point made by others who are frustrated with frustrated fans, is that calling the band and/or supportive fans "sheep", hurling insults at the band, and generally acting like spoiled children about the decision is pretty frustrating and uncalled for (note: none of this is directed to the person I am quoting; it is - as it has been from the time I wrote the original post - directed toward those who refuse to entertain mature conversation about the topic and instead choose to lash out with angry, bitter insults that accomplish nothing).
    We pretty much agree on all parts except you've taking offense to those who are getting nasty towards the band and I've taking offense against those who say that if we don't agree with the timing we shouldn't be fans. It's a lot nastier on Facebook where I've seen post there ripping apart anyone who isn't in line 100% with this decision. Yes, in the grand scheme of things a concert isn't the end of the world but to those who took vacation days and spent money on flights/hotels it is a big deal and they have every right to be disappointed and voice it and not have people tell them to shut the fuck up, you don't get the band and shouldn't be a fan. It's the extreme views we both have issues with, and as you said those who can't have a mature conversation have done nothing but incite more anger and it's a shame.

Luckily this thread hasn't gotten to that and I appreciate everyone's opinion. I'm ready to watch Periscope tomorrow and can't wait to see the set list.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,303
    edited April 2016
    my2hands said:

People need to stop making excuses for the band... they completely fucked up by waiting to cancel 48 hours before the show

They showed a total disregard for their diehard traveling fanbase by wairing so long... the boycott is not the issue, the timing is the issue

Exactly right, timing was atrocious. The band knew since late March that the bill was signed and cancelled then. I have no knowledge into the emergency escape clause, but it's in there for a reason. The ultimate statement should've been play a politically charged show alerting people to do something about the law and all show proceeds to local charities.

I should be in Raleigh right now with fellow fans, but it is what it is right now.
    Post edited by iwasatpj20 on
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)