Options

Disappointed in PJ Fans Today

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    MayDay10 said:

I think that the "travelling fan" is a very significant portion of the fan base... In fact, every fan who I know/can think of has travelled a bunch to see them. Its not just this board either. 2 of my best friends in the 10c don't post and they are going all over this tour.

Would it be off base to say that a show like Raleigh would have been 1/4 out of towners?

I would say that you correct

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    MayDay10 said:

I think that the "travelling fan" is a very significant portion of the fan base... In fact, every fan who I know/can think of has travelled a bunch to see them. Its not just this board either. 2 of my best friends in the 10c don't post and they are going all over this tour.

Would it be off base to say that a show like Raleigh would have been 1/4 out of towners?

I think the Lexington show will be an even higher percentage of out of towners as it's the only midwest show in the early leg. I've got around a 6 hour drive next week.

God forbid that Kentucky passes some law on something I've never even thought about before in the next several days ...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    yeah, for sure there are shows that have higher %es of travellers... Like Moline. what like 95%? Hah!

But the band, 10c is/was well aware of people travelling. Not arguing for or against the cancellation decision. There is even a crazy Greek guy they see everywhere

I don't see them doing this again. I think it mostly had to do with a perfect storm of timing with the law being fresh and Bruce having done it a week or 2 earlier.... however, it sounded like EV gave a warning to SC and MI yesterday at the show.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited April 2016
    MayDay10 said:

Yes, without any evidence whatsoever, it would be off base to say that. No one will ever really know. But I feel like since we are on the "inside", i.e. the megafans vs the normals, lol, the whole thing seems much much more pronounced to us than it probably actually is. But at any rate, either way, Pearl Jam is not responsible for those decisions the fans make about travelling.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    Can we get back on topic please? Shit eating and sheep
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

Yes, without any evidence whatsoever, it would be off base to say that. No one will ever really know. But I feel like since we are on the "inside", i.e. the megafans vs the normals, lol, the whole thing seems much much more pronounced to us than it probably actually is. But at any rate, either way, Pearl Jam is not responsible for those decisions the fans make about travelling.
    You don't have evidence to support your position either. Pearl Jam knows it has a significant fan base that travels to their shows. You know it. I know it. Pearl Jam knows it. At least give an inch on something.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

You don't have evidence to support your position either. Pearl Jam knows it has a significant fan base that travels to their shows. You know it. I know it. Pearl Jam knows it. At least give an inch on something.
    I know i don't, but that's why i said we'll never really know (but it's not that many. 1/4 per show?? Doubt it). It's got nothing to do with what I am really saying though. No matter how few or many, these people's personal travel arrangements aren't PJ's responsibility in any way. I won't give an inch on it because I don't believe it. I think to expect that is asking too much of the band.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Travel arrangements aren't their responsibility, but a shit ton of people do travel to these shows
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    We've beaten this thing to death. Let's get back to talking about the awesomeness that was Greenville and the rest of the tour.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    edited April 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

I know i don't, but that's why i said we'll never really know (but it's not that many. 1/4 per show?? Doubt it). It's got nothing to do with what I am really saying though. No matter how few or many, these people's personal travel arrangements aren't PJ's responsibility in any way. I won't give an inch on it because I don't believe it. I think to expect that is asking too much of the band.
    We can agree to disagree. I don't think it is unreasonable that 25% are traveling. People from Charlotte, people from bordering states, people from Durham, etc.... Not all of them are buying airplane tickets but you have to remember that a Pearl Jam show in Raleigh will attract a lot of people within a 3-5 hour drive who are booking hotel rooms and taking days off from work. I agree that Pearl Jam shouldn't refund those travel costs, but you would have to be a pretty cold individual to think that Pearl Jam shouldn't take into account traveling fans in whether they should play the show or not. I wouldn't want to be your client if you ran a business with that attitude. "Yeah, I know I was supposed to manufacture 1,000 widgets for this customer, but I don't feel like working today so I am not going to. Yeah, they may go out of business because they won't meet their delivery deadlines with their customers for the product they put the widget on, but the financial impact to me is pretty minor for just a 1,000 widgets. How am I supposed to know that they have a deadline to get the product? They shouldn't expect that I will come through on my end of the contract. Their fault for not buying insurance."

It really is ironic how personal responsibility only goes one direction with you. 15,000 people can all decide to congregate in Raleigh, but they shouldn't have expected the band to play minus any personal injury, weather, or venue issue. I don't quite understand how 15,000 people could be so wrong expecting the band to play the show, and the 5 people that invited the 15,000 are allowed to do whatever the hell they want and you support them for it. Me....I'll side with the 15,000 because I live in the real world where you work hard to make a living and have certain expectations when someone asks you to pay them for a service and you do pay them, that they honor it.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I am not a cold individual at all. I just feel that making a political statement against bigotry is much more important than travel plans.
    Of course i understand the disappointment fans feel. I have travelled. I was also at Wrigley, where i was completely convinced that the show would not go on. For about three hours i genuinely thought i'd spent $3000 on a trip to see a fucking Phish concert. :fearful::lol: Luckily i was wrong, lol.
    I just care way more about the issue of discrimination. I care very much about people standing up for what THEY believe in to fight for equality, even if it inconveniences thousands (or millions) of people. I support protest.
  • Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Can't believe all this aggro on the forums over our band cancelling one gig.
    Do people not remember they also gave us Ole for nothing?
  • Options
    PJlivePJlive Earth Posts: 469

Personally I'm not sure what the hell has happened to the 10C members. Its as if it was a click of a switch.
    9/1-9/2/2000 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    4/28/2003 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    5/3/2003 - Bryce Jordan Center, State College, PA
    7/5-7/6/2003 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    7/13/2003 - Hershey Park, Hershey, PA
    10/1/2004 - Sovereign Center, Reading, PA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge, George, WA
    10/03/2005 - Wachovia Center, Phila, PA
    5/27-5/28/2006 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/16/2008 - Columbia, SC
    6/19-6/20/2008 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/24-6/25 - Madison Square Garden
    10/28-10/31/2008 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    9/22/2012 - MidTown, Atlanta, GA
    10/21-10/22 - Wells Fargo Center, Phila, PA
    10/30/2013 - Charlotte, NC
    04/21/2016 - Columbia, SC
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    PJlive said:

Personally I'm not sure what the hell has happened to the 10C members. Its as if it was a click of a switch.
    This forum ain't what it used to be. Went away for a solid 6 years, came back hoping that things would have reverted back a bit, but nope. I'll likely go away again soon.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

Yeah. It is pronounced. Local dude that won tickets from 98.9 "The Rock" or whatever the local station is don't really have no bones chew over this. The "normals" are factored in to overall ticket sales when MANAGERS (total all caps :bee: ) make tour plans.

Lexington KY isn't getting a show if PJ is playing Cincy, Indy, Wrigley within the next week.

So yeah, the mega fans matter. Otherwise PJ would be playing local theaters opening for Boston if the mega fan didn't matter.
  • Options
  • Options
    6/16/2008 - Columbia, SC
    10/28-10/31/2008 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    9/22/2012 - MidTown, Atlanta, GA
    10/21-10/22 - Wells Fargo Center, Phila, PA
    10/30/2013 - Charlotte, NC
    04/21/2016 - Columbia, SC
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

PJlive said:

This forum ain't what it used to be. Went away for a solid 6 years, came back hoping that things would have reverted back a bit, but nope. I'll likely go away again soon.</blockquote

Agreed. That's why I'm more of a casual observer at this point.

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited April 2016

standing tall in solidarity

Post edited by rollings on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Post edited by rollings on
  • Options

• Options
    StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    rollings said:

+100
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    PJ_Soul said:

I am not a cold individual at all. I just feel that making a political statement against bigotry is much more important than travel plans.
    Of course i understand the disappointment fans feel. I have travelled. I was also at Wrigley, where i was completely convinced that the show would not go on. For about three hours i genuinely thought i'd spent $3000 on a trip to see a fucking Phish concert. :fearful::lol: Luckily i was wrong, lol.
    I just care way more about the issue of discrimination. I care very much about people standing up for what THEY believe in to fight for equality, even if it inconveniences thousands (or millions) of people. I support protest.

I wouldn't spend 3k on any band but what's wrong with phish?

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754

PJ_Soul said:

Phish Rule!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHIFM0Y87c
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

Yeah. It is pronounced. Local dude that won tickets from 98.9 "The Rock" or whatever the local station is don't really have no bones chew over this. The "normals" are factored in to overall ticket sales when MANAGERS (total all caps :bee: ) make tour plans.

Lexington KY isn't getting a show if PJ is playing Cincy, Indy, Wrigley within the next week.

So yeah, the mega fans matter. Otherwise PJ would be playing local theaters opening for Boston if the mega fan didn't matter.
    Yeah, i never said we don't matter. I said our travel plans aren't their responsibilty. Obviously expected attendance determines tour schedules, but i feel like what you're talking about is simply them thinking about where they can sell out shows and how many shows in a tour they can fill seats for. Oversaturating the market isn't going to benefit them. Yes, that's true that more people will travel if there are fewer shows (Vancouver shows sell faster if there is no Seattle show).
    Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. You think that if it weren't for fans travelling to see them they wouldn't even be able to work beyond opening for other small bands??
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,612
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Phish Rule!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHIFM0Y87c
    That video is pretty funny.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    ^^ Cracks me up every time!
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,468
    PJlive said:

What does

JP Losman said:

Cast a provisional ballot that will be counted unless the county election commission has reason to believe your affidavit is false.

And so yes, you do need an ID or you have to establish an impediment. The problem is that getting an ID in the first place has been made to be intentionally more difficult for certain types (poor black neighborhoods) of voters. And the reasonable impediment clause is very subjective. But yes, the law clearly prevents people from voting without an ID. There are exceptions like anything else but it has a voter ID law, which went into effect in 2013.

Enjoy that hot dog you will be eating with your fellow Trump supporters.

Also I'm sorry, I am not a Trump supporter nor am I a Bernie supporter. Sure as hell am no Cruz supporter either.
    Gary Johnson!
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,586
    edited April 2016
    80% of the people I met in Columbia traveled at least 3 hours for the show. Most got on planes. They better respect our travel plans because without the hardcore members of their fanbase they'd be playing large theaters instead of arenas in most areas of the country.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

80% of the people I met in Columbia traveled at least 3 hours for the show. Most got on planes. They better respect our travel plans because without the hardcore members of their fanbase they'd be playing large theaters instead of arenas in most areas of the country.

I can tell you right now, 65% of the tickets sold were to South Carolina zip codes via ticketmaster.
    6/16/2008 - Columbia, SC