Options

Disappointed in PJ Fans Today

Logged on tonight (for the first time in a while) expecting to see PJ fans standing tall in solidarity with the band in its decision to cancel the show in North Carolina. Instead I've spent the last 20 minutes reading posts filled with anger, bitterness, insults, and otherwise (mostly) negative reactions to the decision.

Look, I get it. You had tickets to a concert of a band you love and rarely get to see, and you're upset that you won't get to have that experience now (at least not for the time being). Some of you even traveled from some distance away and spent gobs of money on hotels, car rentals, flights, etc. It sucks. It really does. And I understand the disappointment.

But you know what sucks worse? A bill that is disgustingly discriminatory and that threatens that rights of good people who are being treated like inferior citizens. A state government that feels that protecting basic rights is only important for citizens who it deems are worthy of its protection. A law that opens the door for bigots to get away with bigotry under full protection of a bigoted bill.

Yes, Pearl Jam could have decided to play the show and donated the money to entities fighting against the bill. But how far would that really go? A one-time contribution is empty compared to setting a precedent of staying away from a state that has decided to close its doors to equality and tolerance. This isn't about a single show or a single band or a single night, it's about strength in numbers. What Springsteen (and others) started can only have an impact and momentum if others follow. A boycott is only as effective as the number of entities willing to participate in the boycott. And while playing a show and donating the income may have been a nice gesture, cancelling the show altogether -- knowing full well the negative backlash such a move would receive from many fans the band relies on for its success -- was the courageous and the right thing to do.

Yes, the decision was likely dependent on Springsteen's cancellation, but isn't that the idea of a boycott? One person or group gets the ball rolling, and others follow. If others don't follow, nothing happens, nothing changes, nothing gets accomplished. The hope now is that this is only the beginning, and that as still others follow, the bigoted politicians who created this bill will see that they live in a country where such intolerance isn't just going to be accepted as a sign-of-the-times occurrence. But that's only going to happen if enough groups and organizations stand together. Part of the privilege/price of having fame and power is having the ability to influence change -- or to hide from such responsibility. The fact that the band decided to act on their influence in the way that they feel can best and most powerfully drive home their opposition to HB2 is to be commended, not derided.

Kudos to the band for having the balls to put its beliefs ahead of its fans. That might sound shitty to some of you, but in my mind, it's brave and admirable, and the only correct thing to do given the circumstances. Going on with the show would have been akin to crossing the picket lines, except the stakes here are basic human rights and equality for a group of people who have neither the numbers nor the political presence to fight back on their own.

I don't know about you, but that's worth much more than a Pearl Jam concert and a few hundred (or thousand) dollars to me.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185
    Disappointed on missing out on the show but agree with their decision.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MdeanseattleMdeanseattle West Seattle Posts: 63
    I've been on the losing end of a last minute Pearl Jam / Vedder cancellation so I feel the pain of losing out on those non refundable travel expensive . It would be nice if as a Ten club member they would give all those ticket holders a free bootleg download . You have made a commitment to your fans , not the politician . If you do want to make a stand what better way to make it than 65000 fans signing a petition as they come thru the turn styles..
    When I book concerts I always book for a destination city in case anything happens .
    To me this about commitment both to your fans and to yourselves. In the fight against ticketmaster the found ways around it . Give these fans something something , anything ,that won't degrade your stand . Don't just walk away ,it would be like not touring North America to hurt Bush .
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988

Logged on tonight (for the first time in a while) expecting to see PJ fans standing tall in solidarity with the band in its decision to cancel the show in North Carolina. Instead I've spent the last 20 minutes reading posts filled with anger, bitterness, insults, and otherwise (mostly) negative reactions to the decision.

Look, I get it. You had tickets to a concert of a band you love and rarely get to see, and you're upset that you won't get to have that experience now (at least not for the time being). Some of you even traveled from some distance away and spent gobs of money on hotels, car rentals, flights, etc. It sucks. It really does. And I understand the disappointment.

But you know what sucks worse? A bill that is disgustingly discriminatory and that threatens that rights of good people who are being treated like inferior citizens. A state government that feels that protecting basic rights is only important for citizens who it deems are worthy of its protection. A law that opens the door for bigots to get away with bigotry under full protection of a bigoted bill.

Yes, Pearl Jam could have decided to play the show and donated the money to entities fighting against the bill. But how far would that really go? A one-time contribution is empty compared to setting a precedent of staying away from a state that has decided to close its doors to equality and tolerance. This isn't about a single show or a single band or a single night, it's about strength in numbers. What Springsteen (and others) started can only have an impact and momentum if others follow. A boycott is only as effective as the number of entities willing to participate in the boycott. And while playing a show and donating the income may have been a nice gesture, cancelling the show altogether -- knowing full well the negative backlash such a move would receive from many fans the band relies on for its success -- was the courageous and the right thing to do.

Yes, the decision was likely dependent on Springsteen's cancellation, but isn't that the idea of a boycott? One person or group gets the ball rolling, and others follow. If others don't follow, nothing happens, nothing changes, nothing gets accomplished. The hope now is that this is only the beginning, and that as still others follow, the bigoted politicians who created this bill will see that they live in a country where such intolerance isn't just going to be accepted as a sign-of-the-times occurrence. But that's only going to happen if enough groups and organizations stand together. Part of the privilege/price of having fame and power is having the ability to influence change -- or to hide from such responsibility. The fact that the band decided to act on their influence in the way that they feel can best and most powerfully drive home their opposition to HB2 is to be commended, not derided.

Kudos to the band for having the balls to put its beliefs ahead of its fans. That might sound shitty to some of you, but in my mind, it's brave and admirable, and the only correct thing to do given the circumstances. Going on with the show would have been akin to crossing the picket lines, except the stakes here are basic human rights and equality for a group of people who have neither the numbers nor the political presence to fight back on their own.

I don't know about you, but that's worth much more than a Pearl Jam concert and a few hundred (or thousand) dollars to me.

Could not have put it better myself. Well said man!!!
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    Sorry but having 65,000 fans sign a petition, the majority who don't vote in NC, will not have any effect on the NC legislature. If those who passed the bill think they will be voted out of office the bill will change. Maybe the regular NC person on the street, who is economically affected by companies and entertainers boycotting, will be pissed off enough to vote for change.

Nice post by the OP
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    I think people have a right to be upset and post their feelings. I also think most of us on these boards agree with their stand, it's the timing that has everyone upset. And no, I don't think the venue would have been able to book another group to play last night if Pearl Jam cancelled last week.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    edited April 2016
    wall232 said:

I think people have a right to be upset and post their feelings. I also think most of us on these boards agree with their stand, it's the timing that has everyone upset. And no, I don't think the venue would have been able to book another group to play last night if Pearl Jam cancelled last week.

The idea that the venue would book another act (especially while other acts are boycotting the state) is laughable. It's not even feasible in a normal situation.

I thought Ed explained the reasoning very well at the show last night.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    I'm surprised at all the people surprised at fans venting. Give people time
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Hold on a minute

You were surprised at the extremely negative reaction of Pearl Jam fans not getting what they want from Pearl Jam??!!

Clearly you haven't been on here in a long time.

Awesome post and I agree with all your points.
  • Options
    Electro_UKElectro_UK Posts: 119
    As I said elsewhere, I'm glad Pearl Jam is doing *something* in reaction, but I think debate as to what it could have done better is healthy. Guys calling it 'despicable' and saying the band are 'hypocrites' need to chill out, though.
    "Hey Eddie, great show-- fuck you!"
    PJ - London 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12 + 21/6/12, Isle of Wight 23/6/12, Seattle 6/12/13, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Boston 5/8/16 + 7/8/16
    Ed - London 31/7/12, Amsterdam 27/5/17 + 30/5/17, London 6/6/17 + 7/6/17
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,695
    Whilst there has been some reaction that has gone too far, I would say from what ive read the discussion has been a well mannered one, and engaging to a degree.
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Whilst there has been some reaction that has gone too far, I would say from what ive read the discussion has been a well mannered one, and engaging to a degree.

Exactly, there have been some on both sides that have taken it a bit too far. But a discussion with different points of view is healthy.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796

pdalowsky said:

Yes to both

very few people have gotten out of line. Disagreeing with PJ's decision or timing can be, and has been done by many, in a respectful manner.

We shouldn't let the few outliers ruin the voice of others.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    I am just pleased to see dialog. I respect everyone's views, regardless of how much it disagrees with my own. I love all of ya'll.
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878

pdalowsky said:

Yes to both

very few people have gotten out of line. Disagreeing with PJ's decision or timing can be, and has been done by many, in a respectful manner.

We shouldn't let the few outliers ruin the voice of others.
    Agreed on all points. I'm seeing just as much finger wagging as I am criticisms that are out of line. Neither adds much to the conversation, IMO.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    Great post OP.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    CapnBobCapnBob Lexington, SC Posts: 369
    Very awesome post OP! cheers!
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    Great post, and only Pearl Jam can really decide what feels right for them. I've been encouraging the NC boycott to keep this law in the news cycle, but since I also had 10C tickets for Raleigh, I had non-refundable tickets there, so it was a dilemma.

And the poor 10C e-mail team had to send weirdly nuance-y e-mails to me trying to get a refund for Raleigh in advance: "You most certainly have the choice to attend or not. However please know that Ten Club tickets are only refunded in the event of the show being canceled, so the tickets would not be refunded. But again, it is completely your choice if you want to attend or not." Heh. At least they have a definite answer now.
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    It's Pearl Jam's right to boycott and protest, but why single out only NC's discriminatory policy when many other states have equally if not much more discriminatory policies in place toward LGBTQA?
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited April 2016
    People truly reveal themselves when shit hits the fan in times of trouble. Some people are so diseased. Absolutely infected. All about them, their own personal experience, and nothing else. Remember the Twilight Episode, "The Shelter"?
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    The fact that some people can't understand why some of the fans are frustrated is frustrating. Some have gone on to call people who don't agree with the timing not true fans, which is a bunch of nonsense.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 345
    Feel free to be disappointed that I am not a sheep. I'll get over it.
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,435
    People should just be thankful that they are doing a US tour, or doing a tour at all for that matter!
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited April 2016
    wall232 said:

The fact that some people can't understand why some of the fans are frustrated is frustrating. Some have gone on to call people who don't agree with the timing not true fans, which is a bunch of nonsense.

The fact that some people can't understand why some of the fans are frustrated about other fans' inability to understand Pearl Jam's frustration is frustrating.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    (Note: If you read my original post, it's pretty clear that I understand and sympathize with the disappointment/frustration of fans having to miss the show. It's the ridiculous insults and "Pearl Jam is a bunch of followers fucking over its fans!" type shit that is disappointing to me. I do agree with you on the part about implying that hyperbolic fans are not true fans, though.)

• Options
    LetsGoMteersLetsGoMteers New Bern, NC Posts: 157
    I was a mad, hurt, upset and devastated last night as I have been in a long time. Said some things on here and Facebook that looking back on it now I somewhat regret. I am 40 and have been trying to see them for 20+ years. Raliegh 4/20 was finally gonna be the night. And honestly I felt like it was ripped out of my heart. I understood why they did it and was ok with that part. My biggest issue was timing. Think this could have been announced last week when the tour started. Then people could have changed plans, tried to find another show. Recouped some money ect... I was fortunate enough to move some things around at work and scored some tickets to Columbia thurs night. That has def calmed me down. I think most like me will calm down also. But I'm not gonna lie or apologize cause last night hurt and hurt bad. But let's Rock On
    2016 Columbia, SC
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    pdalowsky said:

Ditto.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Its a no win situation for the band. Theyd be criticized no matter what they chose to do. I feel awful for anyone who wasted hard earned money tho. That hurts
  • Options

wall232 said:

The fact that some people can't understand why some of the fans are frustrated about other fans' inability to understand Pearl Jam's frustration is frustrating.
    And again, most fans aren't against them cancelling, they are upset with the timing of their cancelling. It's like there are some of you who think they shouldn't be upset. They have every right to voice their opinion just as much as those who support Pearl Jams timing do.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086

Its a no win situation for the band. Theyd be criticized no matter what they chose to do. I feel awful for anyone who wasted hard earned money tho. That hurts

I don't think that is true. I think if they made a statement, played the show, donated the $.... Almost no one would have had a problem.

They choose the path they think is right and it was certainly the more difficult path.
    hippiemom = goodness