Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options

Sad thing is...there are perverts who dress up like women and go into the womens bathrooms just to sneak a peak and maybe even thinking of attempting possibly much worse. They are not lgbt or whatever, they are psychos.

proof?

This also happened where I once worked. It was ten years or so ago, a guy dressed as a woman was masturbating in a stall in the woman's restroom while several women were in there using it. And we all knew the guy, he worked there too but we never knew he was a cross dresser until the day he got caught.
    He's a pervert and NOT a transgender...
    Yes that is true but unfortunately he wasn't wearing his sign that differentiated him from the real trans gendered so nobody could tell the difference.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029

Sad thing is...there are perverts who dress up like women and go into the womens bathrooms just to sneak a peak and maybe even thinking of attempting possibly much worse. They are not lgbt or whatever, they are psychos.

proof?

This also happened where I once worked. It was ten years or so ago, a guy dressed as a woman was masturbating in a stall in the woman's restroom while several women were in there using it. And we all knew the guy, he worked there too but we never knew he was a cross dresser until the day he got caught.
    Yes that is true but unfortunately he wasn't wearing his sign that differentiated him from the real trans gendered so nobody could tell the difference.
    All cops are bad and all black youths are thugs and all southern whites are racists too right?
  • Options

proof?

All cops are bad and all black youths are thugs and all southern whites are racists too right?
    Nope, just like all trans gendered people aren't all perverts.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options

proof?

Maybe if all musicians stop performing and making all music, shut down radio stations and ban music all together the world will suddenly rid itself of all it's problems.

Doing something stupid isn't going to fix anything.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    Instead of Bruce or PJ cancelling anything they should have asked all the fans attending the concert to dress like women in solidarity of the cause.

That would have gotten worldwide news coverage and been one hell of an epic show I bet.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    mandarine65mandarine65 Posts: 133

Instead of Bruce or PJ cancelling anything they should have asked all the fans attending the concert to dress like women in solidarity of the cause.

That would have gotten worldwide news coverage and been one hell of an epic show I bet.

mm you forgot and women dressed in men! Not a bad idea per se, but transgenderism is a more complicated topic then the just way you dress (actually it's so much more than that). Although inviting a bunch of transgender artists or activist would have been equally great, a little rockin' in the free world set with Laura Jane, Anohni, Marissa Martinez and Mina Caputo!
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    Has anyone received their refund yet? I have not.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    edited April 2016
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options

Mine came through yesterday.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    Got mine on Saturday
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options

Mine came through yesterday.
    ComeToTX said:

Got mine on Saturday

Damn, might have to email the Ten Club.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    It came through yesterday! Just found it!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Well...

After much discussion and reflection by many here... I think I know what would have been best in this situation:

The concert should have gone ahead. Backspacer should have been played in its entirety- Ole as the encore.

Message sent. Contractual expectations met.

Too funny.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

so playing a festival sponsored by a massive oil company after blaming global warming on massive companies in columbia isn't hypocritical?

It is.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

Maybe after 150 shows you were ready to move on anyway.

I will break 100 shows this year and I found my interest in driving 5 hours round trip for a show is disappearing (unless it is the only show I'm seeing). I find myself checking out destination shows for other bands that I've been missing out on over the years following only PJ.

Greenville's PJ show was outstanding though.

Do love me some live PJ and I've seen them much less than you but agree on the destination aspect. Funny we chose same destination. Can't wait.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    A lot of artists and companies are being added to the growing list of boycotts or threats to boycott if the law isn't repealed. Major players. Many conventions have been cancelled (at least 13 so far). I am glad PJ is part of the growing movement. I think that if this continues it will definitely force the government to repeal, and it will live on as an example of what will happen if other states try to pull the same shit.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,462
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/buck-newton-north-carolina_us_571f82c4e4b01a5ebde34e2c

someone cue the banjos
    After hearing the video in the link above, I'm not sure how any of us can be mad at PJ for taking a stand against discrimination

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    They could have found a way to take a stand against discrimination without screwing over thousands of fans
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    Ten Club says they're mailing a check because my credit card had expired and I didn't want to take a Paypal deposit.
    They could have found a way to take a stand against discrimination without screwing over thousands of fans
    I agree. They leveraged their influence against the powers-that-be in the state of N.C.—to at least some extent—but also against their fans.

The HB2 legislation will be repealed one day—it's only a matter of time. I just hope rich rock stars like Pearl Jam and Springsteen and Ringo Starr will take a break from patting themselves on the back to come back to N.C. to play shows.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    The law will eventually be appealed because it's a bullshit law. I had no problem with the cancellation of the show. The timing was the worst part of it all. I still traveled to N.C. and spent money there because with the notice given I was forced to without feeling like I was out of travel and hotel expenses. After Springsteen canceled I was a bit worried about a cancelation but as time went on I was more confident Pearl Jam would not disappoint and play the show seeing as it was a little less than 2 days out from the scheduled performance. What still has me a little angry is the feeling that as fans we were used as pawns in a scenario that we had no control over and even the residents to North Carolina had no control over. I applaud the cause and the cancellation but feel it could have been handled better and for them to not acknowledge that is a travesty. The law was not going to miraculously be changed overnight and they knew that. In the long run it will but not as close to their scheduled show as they had thought.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I saw how much joy was in the crowd last night in Lexington. Reinforces my belief that the show must play on.
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
  • Options
    scottjf8scottjf8 Posts: 36
    How does one unsubscibe from threads here? Can't get the notifications to stop.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    scottjf8 said:

You can't!

(actually, if you scroll to the top of the page, you should be able to click on the star on the right to unsubscribe)
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Whew, finally caught up on this thread, lol, hope it's ok to offer a couple observations.

First, thanks to the mods for letting people express themselves here. I think it's a testament to the community that's developed here over the years (I'm a Johnny-come-lately) that there can be this much disagreement and debate with only a handful of posts being deemed off-limits by the mods.

Second, it is good to see that the HB2 law is pretty well universally disliked, and that the primary issue here has been the timing of the cancellation (which is the only factor I spoke up against upthread). That said, I think all those who object to the timing would still be appreciative of some clear reason behind the timing of the announcement (operative word here being clear).

For what it's worth, I was back listening to bootlegs 24 hours later, and was back on the forum a couple days after that (mainly to follow the fanview threads, lol).

As a last aside, thanks to those who clarified Pink Floyd's The Wall, from someone who is in the process of tearing down their own Wall (before I'm sentenced to be "exposed before your peers," lol). As the original work comes across to me, it is about an individual's struggles, while Roger Waters' recent reinterpretation is clearly far more political (anti-war) than the original album and film were (at least the movie was, I didn't catch the tour).

Once again, thanks to the mods and the community for not taking this discussion to some dark(er) places it could have gone.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    hedonist said:

scottjf8 said:

You can't!

(actually, if you scroll to the top of the page, you should be able to click on the star on the right to unsubscribe)
    Hahaha. ....that's so evilly cute!!!
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    edited April 2016

The band is not punishing you. You are collateral damage. It sucks. It's just that the band thinks the civil rights of others are more important than your concert. End story.

Boom! Truth bomb. Adapt and overcome.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    First, thanks to the mods for letting people express themselves here. I think it's a testament to the community that's developed here over the years (I'm a Johnny-come-lately) that there can be this much disagreement and debate with only a handful of posts being deemed off-limits by the mods.
    I too appreciate that forum moderators have not attempted to censor or discourage comment.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    scottjf8scottjf8 Posts: 36
    hedonist said:

scottjf8 said:

You can't!

I don't see a star. Maybe cause I'm mobile? I'll try from my computer at home in a bit...
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2016
    scottjf8 said:

Click on the cogswheel in the row underneath your username.
    Click edit profile.
    Click Notification Preferences.
    Go from there.