Trump

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    Well Bill Clinton charges for speeches. Are you saying there sound be regulation on that too?
  • I'm assuming it's considered an in-kind contribution. I'm not sure how the FEC looks at those.

What in-kind contributions does Trump have?
    Well, someone mentioned Ted Nugent. I'm assuming both candidates have countless in kind contributors.
    The pendulum swings.......
    Campaign Disclosure is far from my specialty when it comes to elections. What bootlegger asked is a very legit question and I'm going through the FEC site now in hopes of knowing an answer.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    edited November 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Well Bill Clinton charges for speeches. Are you saying there sound be regulation on that too?

It is a slippery slope when your spouse is a Secretary of State or President. If a president has to put their investments in a blind trust so that GE can't influence them, then I would expect GE can't pay the first spouse $500k for a speech. I would be certain there is a regulation against that.

A little surprised at some of the pushback from the people have the power crowd when I suggest there should be a fair playing field amongst the people.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671

As a private citizen I am limited to contributing $2,700 to Clinton's campaign.

Bruce Springsteen would normally charge $500k (estimating low) for a concert appearance.

It doesn't seem right that Springsteen can donate $500,000 of free time to Hillary. Does she pay Springsteen a nominal amount?

What does Nugent charge? Bus fare?
    Bus fare and cigarettes.
    Nope
    Ted gets a 6 pack of bud lite and a tin of skoal
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

dignin said:

As a private citizen I am limited to contributing $2,700 to Clinton's campaign.

Bruce Springsteen would normally charge $500k (estimating low) for a concert appearance.

It doesn't seem right that Springsteen can donate $500,000 of free time to Hillary. Does she pay Springsteen a nominal amount?

Really?
    What? I think it is a fair question. It is illegal for me to give Hillary, Trump or any other politician $4,000, but if I were a famous person I could put on a free concert at a rally for Hillary or Trump when I would normally charge $500k to a promoter for and it is perfectly fine? Does that not seem backward to you? I understand that is a donation of time, and volunteers on the ground for politicians definitely put in hours and hours of free time. It just doesn't seem right that Springsteen, Vedder, Nugent or whoever can have so much influence and I can only donate $2,700. Look at the crowds and excitement that these concerts generate, but if bootlegger10 slips Hillary $2,800 the FEC will be all over me.

This is not anti-Hillary post. Just an observation.
    It is an interesting question. I don't see how you can regulate someones speech, because that is what Bruce and others are doing. He's still just a dude with a guitar after all. We head down a bad road when we try and limit what one can say just because they have more sway than a regular Joe like you or I.

mrussel1 said:

It is a slippery slope when your spouse is a Secretary of State or President. If a president has to put their investments in a blind trust so that GE can't influence them, then I would expect GE can't pay the first spouse $500k for a speech. I would be certain there is a regulation against that.

A little surprised at some of the pushback from the people have the power crowd when I suggest there should be a fair playing field amongst the people.
    It's a person's choice if they want to give a speech or sing a song without compensation. The campaign would pay all of the overhead.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

It's a person's choice if they want to give a speech or sing a song without compensation. The campaign would pay all of the overhead.
    Sure, but that person's choice is the difference between 15,000 people showing up and 3,000 people showing up.
    Money isn't speech and speech isn't money. This all ties into why citizens united has to go.
    dignin said:

Money isn't speech and speech isn't money. This all ties into why citizens united has to go.

But singing actually is speech. If you had to pay to get in and that money sent to the campaign, then that's a different story
  • mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

But singing actually is speech. If you had to pay to get in and that money sent to the campaign, then that's a different story
    Funny.
    I don't see PJ singing about Trump or Hillary.

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Sure, but that person's choice is the difference between 15,000 people showing up and 3,000 people showing up.
    How can you regulate who is a leader?
    mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

But singing actually is speech.
    I made that point earlier.
  • mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

Funny.
    I'm not a betting man, but I think there's a Trump song coming if he wins and is the type of president he's saying he would be.
  • mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

Funny.
    I'm not a betting man, but I think there's a Trump song coming if he wins and is the type of president he's saying he would be.
    Perhaps Dance to the time warp again?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    Trumpleaguer
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Listening to Trump right now and I can't believe he's running off a list of places where he says they're winning. (Even though most aren't true) My point is though that you don't send a message like that out. Lowering expectations is a proven way to boost turnout. What he's doing is hurting himself in each and every state he rattled off. I can't believe someone as talented, which she is, as Kellyanne Conway would sign off on this.
  • Listening to Trump right now and I can't believe he's running off a list of places where he says they're winning. (Even though most aren't true) My point is though that you don't send a message like that out. Lowering expectations is a proven way to boost turnout. What he's doing is hurting himself in each and every state he rattled off. I can't believe someone as talented, which she is, as Kellyanne Conway would sign off on this.

No shit.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

Meh

A female Geddy Lee. DO.NOT.WANT. Nothing sexist about that.

Julianne Moore and Tina Fey on the other hand...

Meh

cmon man.
    Stick to topic.
    Trump may win.

Meh

cmon man.
    Stick to topic.
    Trump may win.
    What kind of friendly wager could you and I wage on it? Pearl Jam boot?

Meh

cmon man.
    Stick to topic.
    Trump may win.
    What kind of friendly wager could you and I wage on it? Pearl Jam boot?
    Ahh, the art of the deal.
    London, 2013
  • You got it, buddy. Digital download or CD?
    Toronto's Binaural show for me
  • You got it, buddy. Digital download or CD?
    Toronto's Binaural show for me

I am old school and would never ask anything more than the bet.
    Having said that a cd would be nice.
    As for yourself?
    CD or Dig?
  • Digital works for me. I've got a cd stuck in the player in my car, so a disc does nothing for me. Sad thing is, it's literally my own cd. So whenever someone drives my car and hits the cd button, I look like an arrogant ass.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I really hope America proves to be smart enough to know that if a man can't be trusted to operate his own twitter account, he shouldn't be trusted to operate the world's largest nuclear arsenal.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Fuck Donald Trump
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    my2hands said:

Fuck Donald Trump

:clap:

+1
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Fuck Donald Trump

:clap:

+1
    Now now ladies and gents
    Use your angry vote not your angry words.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited November 2016
    mrussel1 said:

"Speeches" needs to be in quotes. Nobody cares what Arkansas Bill has to say other than to his "wife".
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    rgambs said:

I really hope America proves to be smart enough to know that if a man can't be trusted to operate his own twitter account, he shouldn't be trusted to operate the world's largest nuclear arsenal.

need we go through the exhausting list we could put together for HRC???
This discussion has been closed.