Options

Trump

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Gaining (as expected at the convention) on the 538 forecast.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mrussel1 said:

Political malpractice and a shitshow... that's what the Cruz thing was. How does Trump provide a prime time speaking spot when he was told by Cruz, that he would not be endorsing Trump. What kind of idiot does such a thing? This guy is a political neophyte and will get eaten up on the world stage. He has so many unforced errors, I'm embarrassed for him.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I think the jury is still out on this. Since Trump came down that escalator we have all continued to get this wrong. This week has been messy as all hell but never in our lifetime has a convention generated more excitement. We all see it through our own lens but the craziness has been gradually building to an epic crescendo which is tonight's Trump speech. None of us know which Trump will see tonight or how it will all play out but mark my words it will be one of the most widely watched speeches in political history. There in lies Trump's genius but what he does with the moment is anybody's guess.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Colbert, Third Eye Blind and now Cruz. I can't wait to see who sabotages today.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,750
    edited July 2016
    As much as I can't stand Ted Cruz, his speech was fantastic, lol. I wish there was more footage of all the people on the floor of the convention while he gave it, just for entertainment's sake.
    But now that I'm over the minor glee his speech caused, I go right back to being really worried about Ted Cruz, who I have maintained would be even worse that Trump. He's an evangelical who wants to apply his religion in politics, and that scares me more than anything. I definitely feel like he is trying to set himself up for something down the road. Who knows how far he wants to take it. Is it as simple and having his eyes on the next election? Or is it a more complicated plan? Perhaps he is trying to basically form a new tea party kind of thing, but legit this time. If the GOP is doomed, as some seem to think, maybe he is twisting his mustache and plotting a kind of Republican take-over. :worried:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

Political malpractice and a shitshow... that's what the Cruz thing was. How does Trump provide a prime time speaking spot when he was told by Cruz, that he would not be endorsing Trump. What kind of idiot does such a thing? This guy is a political neophyte and will get eaten up on the world stage. He has so many unforced errors, I'm embarrassed for him.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I think the jury is still out on this. Since Trump came down that escalator we have all continued to get this wrong. This week has been messy as all hell but never in our lifetime has a convention generated more excitement. We all see it through our own lens but the craziness has been gradually building to an epic crescendo which is tonight's Trump speech. None of us know which Trump will see tonight or how it will all play out but mark my words it will be one of the most widely watched speeches in political history. There in lies Trump's genius but what he does with the moment is anybody's guess.
    I must disagree with this statement. Ratings are down from 2012 RNC according to CNN: http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/20/media/republican-national-convention-ratings/

Now tonight is the big one. 4 years ago, RNC drew 30MM on Thursday, and the DNC drew 35MM. We shall see how he does...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

As much as I can't stand Ted Cruz, his speech was fantastic, lol. I wish there was more footage of all the people on the floor of the convention while he gave it, just for entertainment's sake.
    But now that I'm over the minor glee his speech caused, I go right back to being really worried about Ted Cruz, who I have maintained would be even worse that Trump. He's an evangelical who wants to apply his religion in politics, and that scares me more than anything. I definitely feel like he is trying to set himself up for something down the road. Who knows how far he wants to take it. Is it as simple and having his eyes on the next election? Or is it a more complicated plan? Perhaps he is trying to basically form a new tea party kind of thing, but legit this time. If the GOP is doomed, as some seem to think, maybe he is twisting his mustache and plotting a kind of Republican take-over. :worried:

He made a gamble here. He had three options... lie low like Kasich and others. Endorse the candidate and be seen as a puppy dog like Christie and Carson OR put all the chips in and bank on Trump losing. I think overall, he made a good bet because he can rise from the ashes of the party. But we shall see. I think it was generally self serving, but that doesn't make it wrong.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

He made a gamble here. He had three options... lie low like Kasich and others. Endorse the candidate and be seen as a puppy dog like Christie and Carson OR put all the chips in and bank on Trump losing. I think overall, he made a good bet because he can rise from the ashes of the party. But we shall see. I think it was generally self serving, but that doesn't make it wrong.
    Yeah, I agree he made a good bet (if good bet means it's good for Cruz... I'm going to call the a bad bet, lol. All about perspective). I wouldn't say the odds were against him though. It was a reasonably safe bet that this would work for him long term. I am so worried about this precisely because it was very clever on his part. Very manipulative.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I agree he made a good bet (if good bet means it's good for Cruz... I'm going to call the a bad bet, lol. All about perspective). I wouldn't say the odds were against him though. It was a reasonably safe bet that this would work for him long term. I am so worried about this precisely because it was very clever on his part. Very manipulative.
    Definitely the odds are in his favor.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm not sure he can rise from the ashes regardless of a Trump loss. Of all those people named I think Walker played it perfectly but again who the hell knows?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm not sure he can rise from the ashes regardless of a Trump loss. Of all those people named I think Walker played it perfectly but again who the hell knows?
    WALKER?!?! You can't be serious? That was one of the worst speeches I have ever seen.

Everyone who opposed Trump will be sitting pretty in 4 years. Edit: unless this is actually what the Republican party is moving forward...
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

I must disagree with this statement. Ratings are down from 2012 RNC according to CNN: http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/20/media/republican-national-convention-ratings/

Now tonight is the big one. 4 years ago, RNC drew 30MM on Thursday, and the DNC drew 35MM. We shall see how he does...
    You could be right if ratings = excitement. Ratings is definitely one measurement and not an unimportant one but youtube/social media etc penetrates far more homes then it did previously. Either way tonight is the big one.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

You could be right if ratings = excitement. Ratings is definitely one measurement and not an unimportant one but youtube/social media etc penetrates far more homes then it did previously. Either way tonight is the big one.
    What is your empirical measurement of excitement?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

A tingling in the nether regions? :blush:
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

A tingling in the nether regions? :blush:
    Like when we used to climb the rope in gym class...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

https://youtu.be/HS-GncdffBc
  • Options
    So...many... activities...
  • Options
    Has anyone been watching Colbert this week? I don't normally watch him (not because I don't like him), but I'm recording this week because I know he can make the RNC coverage entertaining as fuck. And he is managing that very well. Lots of laughs. I liked his variation on the "Trump/Pence" campaign logo in response to Pence's comment about how he balances out Trump's, um, eccentricities, I'll call them. He changed the names to "Crazy/Boring". :lol:

But on to a more serious note about Trump. Apparently, he doesn't intend to be the President when he's President. This is why everyone should be concerned about Pence:

"One day this past May, Donald Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., reached out to a senior adviser to Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, who left the presidential race just a few weeks before. As a candidate, Kasich declared in March that Trump was “really not prepared to be president of the United States,” and the following month he took the highly unusual step of coordinating with his rival Senator Ted Cruz in an effort to deny Trump the nomination. But according to the Kasich adviser (who spoke only under the condition that he not be named), Donald Jr. wanted to make him an offer nonetheless: Did he have any interest in being the most powerful vice president in history?

When Kasich’s adviser asked how this would be the case, Donald Jr. explained that his father’s vice president would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

Then what, the adviser asked, would Trump be in charge of?

“Making America great again” was the casual reply."

:tired_face:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/magazine/how-donald-trump-picked-his-running-mate.html?_r=0

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Many great quotes in that article. It is heartening to see Republicans say these things. It gives me a little bit of hope. Kind of. Until anti-abortionism and the restriction of gay rights are off the Republican table, I continue to feel really nervous about the Republican party no matter what some of them so aptly deduce about Trump, but at least some of them aren't nuts.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Many great quotes in that article. It is heartening to see Republicans say these things. It gives me a little bit of hope. Kind of. Until anti-abortionism and the restriction of gay rights are off the Republican table, I continue to feel really nervous about the Republican party no matter what some of them so aptly deduce about Trump, but at least some of them aren't nuts.
    Indeed. It's not all crazy.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

But that is the thing. Trump is actually the most socially liberal republican nominee in it's history. While the issues you speak of will never be "off the table" I just don't think he will ever govern as a social conservative regardless of the Pence pick. He might nominate conservative judges, and that certainly is something, but I just don't see him ever pushing forward ("backwards" might be more appropriate) on social issues.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

But that is the thing. Trump is actually the most socially liberal republican nominee in it's history. While the issues you speak of will never be "off the table" I just don't think he will ever govern as a social conservative regardless of the Pence pick. He might nominate conservative judges, and that certainly is something, but I just don't see him ever pushing forward ("backwards" might be more appropriate) on social issues.
    According to his son, he is not interested in governing and the VP will be in charge of foreign and domestic policy.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

You are probably right, but because he has no center or moral compass on the issues, then 1: we don't know what he will do and 2: he may not be thoughtful on what he does decide to do. That is just as troubling. But my big issues with him are around his economic and international politics policies.

There are checks within our system to prevent many dramatic social changes. If he decided to write an executive order banning abortion because Jerry Falwell jr. promised to donate 1 million dollars to fix a golf course, well then there could be judicial stays against an unconstitutional order. But the chief executive has broad powers when it comes to international affairs for one and second, the words of the POTUS could spook markets and he could do all sorts of crazy shit. And it would mostly be the for the benefit of him personally. That's why I'm passionately against him....far, far more than Romney or McCain who I disagreed with philosophically on a number of issues, but understood their view of the world.
  • Options

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

WALKER?!?! You can't be serious? That was one of the worst speeches I have ever seen.

Everyone who opposed Trump will be sitting pretty in 4 years. Edit: unless this is actually what the Republican party is moving forward...
    I think you're wrong on that score because regardless of this year's outcome the next successful primary candidate will require the Trump supporters to some degree. As far as Walker is concerned that is just your personal bias coming through. He checks all the Republican boxes and has managed to endorse Trump without pissing off the #nevertrump conservatives. Remember that Wisconsin went overwhelming for Cruz and yet that state will still follow Walker through the gates of hell after all he's been through. Too me he may be the only guy who escapes this without appearing to be operating out of self-interest. Cruz, Rubio, Christie, Kasich etc have all ticked off some wing of the party so of all the people left standing it will be him or new blood like Niki Haley or Suzanna martinez.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, but his VP is an evangelical. That is very meaningful, especially considering what the NY Times reported yesterday about how Trump is presumably telling Pence that he will actually be in charge of domestic policy. Unless he is flat out lying to the VP candidates, that is very worrisome. At any rate, I am against Trump being president for a lot more reasons than his position on abortion and gay marriage, obviously (neither of those issues are specific concerns for me when it comes to Trump himself). But I'm talking about the Republican party in general. State level too. I'm not sure what you mean by "that's the thing". Are you suggesting I should feel better about Trump just because he isn't personally strongly and specifically against abortion and gay marriage like some Republicans are, despite the fact that he chose someone who is as his VP?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, but his VP is an evangelical. That is very meaningful, especially considering what the NY Times reported yesterday about how Trump is presumably telling Pence that he will actually be in charge of domestic policy. Unless he is flat out lying to the VP candidates, that is very worrisome. At any rate, I am against Trump being president for a lot more reasons than his position on abortion and gay marriage, obviously (neither of those issues are specific concerns for me when it comes to Trump himself). But I'm talking about the Republican party in general. State level too. I'm not sure what you mean by "that's the thing". Are you suggesting I should feel better about Trump just because he isn't personally strongly and specifically against abortion and gay marriage like some Republicans do?
    DT jr. was on MSNBC this morning and vehemently denied the NYTimes quote about VP running the show and DT 'making America great'. He claims the NYT did not call him up to substantiate the quote, which would be normal practice. Although the NYT would normally footnote that as well. So, while I can believe it, I'm not sure it's true.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    I saw an interview with the journalist and he said that he'd been emailing the son who said the VP would be running the show but his emails were ignored. So the son saying no one contacted him is just another lie.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    PJ_Soul said:

he should have kept his word like a man. he's a coward, nothing fantastic about it.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, but his VP is an evangelical. That is very meaningful, especially considering what the NY Times reported yesterday about how Trump is presumably telling Pence that he will actually be in charge of domestic policy. Unless he is flat out lying to the VP candidates, that is very worrisome. At any rate, I am against Trump being president for a lot more reasons than his position on abortion and gay marriage, obviously (neither of those issues are specific concerns for me when it comes to Trump himself). But I'm talking about the Republican party in general. State level too. I'm not sure what you mean by "that's the thing". Are you suggesting I should feel better about Trump just because he isn't personally strongly and specifically against abortion and gay marriage like some Republicans do?
    DT jr. was on MSNBC this morning and vehemently denied the NYTimes quote about VP running the show and DT 'making America great'. He claims the NYT did not call him up to substantiate the quote, which would be normal practice. Although the NYT would normally footnote that as well. So, while I can believe it, I'm not sure it's true.
    I don't believe a word that guy says, so not sure what to make of that, lol. The thing that makes it so believable is the fact that it's basically impossible for me to picture Trump handling domestic and foreign affairs. He doesn't know shit about either, really. So it's easy to picture him passing it to Pence (if Pence is willing), so that Trump can still focus on his own businesses and developments, etc, and on his Twitter account. =) (but seriously, are people expecting Trump to just ignore his empire for 4 years?? I sure don't, and I don't think he has time to do both jobs properly, even if he were potentially capable).
  • Options
    edited July 2016

PJ_Soul said:

he should have kept his word like a man. he's a coward, nothing fantastic about it.
    I couldn't care less about someone keeping his word with a massive liar. They can wallow around in the filth together for all eternity for all I care. It was fantastic because it was hilarious and dramatic and awkward.
This discussion has been closed.