Options

Trump

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

I'll be the ice breaker, I paid 52k in taxes last year. Not including property tax.

You paid more in taxes than I made last year and I'm happy. So why all the complaining and ranting here. Sheesh!
    Exactly!
    Be thankful to be one of the most fortunate people on the planet instead of wigging out about losing what you never needed.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590

Oh my goodness...

One day this past May, Donald Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., reached out to a senior adviser to Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, who left the presidential race just a few weeks before. As a candidate, Kasich declared in March that Trump was “really not prepared to be president of the United States,” and the following month he took the highly unusual step of coordinating with his rival Senator Ted Cruz in an effort to deny Trump the nomination. But according to the Kasich adviser (who spoke only under the condition that he not be named), Donald Jr. wanted to make him an offer nonetheless: Did he have any interest in being the most powerful vice president in history?

When Kasich’s adviser asked how this would be the case, Donald Jr. explained that his father’s vice president would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

Then what, the adviser asked, would Trump be in charge of?

“Making America great again” was the casual reply.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/magazine/how-donald-trump-picked-his-running-mate.html?_r=0

Wasn't dick cheney the most powerful?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,737

Calm down skippy Nobody is caught up on the plagiarism. It happened, they got caught. It will not determine the outcome of the election. It's just another example of trumps inexperience and shows how inept he would be as preisident.

As opposed to voting for someone who had been under federal investigation? I'd rather go with suspected speach plagiarism, at least that doesn't land a federal investigation, skippy
    Well how do you feel about a suspected child rapist? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-bloom/why-the-new-child-rape-ca_b_10619944.html
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

I'll be the ice breaker, I paid 52k in taxes last year. Not including property tax.

You paid more in taxes than I made last year and I'm happy. So why all the complaining and ranting here. Sheesh!
    Exactly!
    Be thankful to be one of the most fortunate people on the planet instead of wigging out about losing what you never needed.
    No doubt. Holy crap, $52K paid in taxes? Assuming that wasn't because you hadn't paid your taxes for many years and they're just coming after you for them now, lol (and I hope that isn't the case because that could be life-ruining), you are probably the most wealthy person here and don't need more money.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Who's to say what is or isn't needed by someone else? It's all relative to me. Hell, you could earn a shitload of money but let's say you donate a chunk of it...or you need the funds for treatment of an illness...or to take care of elderly parents...or rebuild after a fire or earthquake...or...well, the list goes on.

Agreed that that amount of taxes paid would indicate a decent income, yet I can't help but get irritated by the "you don't need it" or "you should be happy with what you make" mindset.

If it's honestly earned, it's no one's business how it's chosen to be spent or saved or anything else.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

Calm down skippy Nobody is caught up on the plagiarism. It happened, they got caught. It will not determine the outcome of the election. It's just another example of trumps inexperience and shows how inept he would be as preisident.

As opposed to voting for someone who had been under federal investigation? I'd rather go with suspected speach plagiarism, at least that doesn't land a federal investigation, skippy
    I'm sorry. All I read is, "Blah blah blah It's okay to cheat if you have an T next to your name and you're not black or female."
  • Options

Why even spend your time to argue here? Like seriously, is it that maybe the ideologies that you've bought into haven't been working, and instead of admitting that maybe it's time for a different aproach, you staunchly hold on and justify your existence by confronting people that disagree with you? Like seriously??? Why are you even on this page??? Get over yourself!

The last 8 years have been pretty pretty phenomenal for me...
    How so? Let's be honest. Your economic situation before, after? Please, I'm seriously looking to hear from those that have benefited, and how so?
    Stupid questions like yours don't deserve answers. Keep drinking the Dubya apologist kool aid.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Who's to say what is or isn't needed by someone else? It's all relative to me. Hell, you could earn a shitload of money but let's say you donate a chunk of it...or you need the funds for treatment of an illness...or to take care of elderly parents...or rebuild after a fire or earthquake...or...well, the list goes on.

Agreed that that amount of taxes paid would indicate a decent income, yet I can't help but get irritated by the "you don't need it" or "you should be happy with what you make" mindset.

If it's honestly earned, it's no one's business how it's chosen to be spent or saved or anything else.

He's the one who brought it up, so I guess he thinks it is our business.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Well how do you feel about a suspected child rapist? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-bloom/why-the-new-child-rape-ca_b_10619944.html
    But but but he has an R next to his name! That makes him magically not guilty and Obamas and Hillarys fault! *sarcasm*
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442

Oh my goodness...

One day this past May, Donald Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., reached out to a senior adviser to Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, who left the presidential race just a few weeks before. As a candidate, Kasich declared in March that Trump was “really not prepared to be president of the United States,” and the following month he took the highly unusual step of coordinating with his rival Senator Ted Cruz in an effort to deny Trump the nomination. But according to the Kasich adviser (who spoke only under the condition that he not be named), Donald Jr. wanted to make him an offer nonetheless: Did he have any interest in being the most powerful vice president in history?

When Kasich’s adviser asked how this would be the case, Donald Jr. explained that his father’s vice president would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/magazine/how-donald-trump-picked-his-running-mate.html?_r=0

Came here to post this.

Is this proof that the guy just wants to win and doesn't want to actually govern? My god...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,826

Oh my goodness...

Came here to post this.

Is this proof that the guy just wants to win and doesn't want to actually govern? My god...
    Exactly what it is - you read the New Yorker article about his ghost writer from Art of The Deal? Good shit.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

Let's be honest, nobody who complains about their tax rate is doing so because it cuts into their charitable capacities.

Sorry, but that's simply not true, needs are objective, not subjective, those would be desires.

Honestly come by or not, it's pretty tacky to complain about losing what you want when there are so many who don't have what they need.
    That is a terrible American habit that shows how spoiled we are as a society.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,881
    Is there a tax expert in the house?

Married couple making $200k a year pays basically 30% in tax. Is this correct? 200k basically puts you at 30%. Right? Or wrong?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,418

Listen, I get why a lot of old white folks in the middle of the country are angry and feel like America is passing them by. Quite frankly, it is. America is never going to be "great" again in the sense they are talking about. We are never going to have coal, oil and manufacturing jobs like we once did. Trump is not going to bring us back there. Paul Ryan is not going to bring us back there. No one is. That time is over. We live in a significantly different world and unless we want the cost of our goods to triple, we can't expect this country to build things like we once did.

The next generation of skilled works are going to be in infrastructure, healthcare, clean energy, and manufacturing in advanced technology that can't be outsourced.

It can't be an easy time for these folks, I get it, but things aren't going back to the way they were.

What?? Seriously what?? Again you didn't answer my question to your bold statement, but what are you talking about? Are you educated? Do you know how the economy works? What??
    I am educated. College degree with some MBA work under my belt (probably not going to finish. Return isn't worth it). I work in a position in a rapidly growing industry that intersects technology and healthcare.

I am very aware of how the economy works. I am also aware that these folks who are so angry are also very happy with the prices at Walmart (that is not a shot at anyone). You can't have it both ways. Supply and demand...

What is so confusing about what I wrote?
    You haven't stated at all how you've benefited, your response is completely vague, so yes, again. You said your life has been better ect ect, (not going to go back and exactly quote you, but will if it gets to that) and I've asked how. I'll just take your word for it ;)
    You asked how things have improved economically for me. I answered. What else do you want?

A few more bullet points outside of my economic improvements?

I am happy my mother in law no longer needs to worry about her health issues impacting her healthcare coverage

I am happy my taxes have remained consistent, though like I said, I am expecting them to increase in the near future

I am very happy for a gay couple we are very close with who are now happily married and parents

I am very very happy about the progress in Philadelphia. This city has a ton of work to do (especially if I am going to live within the city limits long term) but has grown tremendously since I moved here 10 years ago.

I am happy two of my very good high school friends are no longer overseas at war

There are also plenty of things I am unhappy about...education, poverty, etc., but the good of the past 8 years significantly outweighs the bad, for me personally. I am also not attributing a lot of this to Obama, though I very much think the Dems understand where this country is headed and are not just looking back at the good old days that aren't coming back.

The healthcare, you are lucky, you know the 1 out of the 100 that actually benefited from it.

Congrats on the tax's. I love paying 35% and love even more being demonized how I should pay more.

I really love that you see progress in Philli. I don't live in that city, or that state. That's a STATE RIGHT issue.

Happy the gays are married and divorcing. Again, to me STATE RIGHT.

I'm a vet. USN. We all serve knowing what we are getting into. And shit is worse now than it was 8 years ago.
    You are kidding right you pay 35% in taxes you tell me how much your taxes will be lowered by Trump !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Married couple making $200k a year pays basically 30% in tax. Is this correct? 200k basically puts you at 30%. Right? Or wrong?

Married joint filers it would be max 28%.

People gotta remember your total $200k isn't taxed at that level either.

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

• Options

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

So a married couple making $200k is easily paying over $50k in taxes.

In other words $52k in taxes does not make someone the richest person on the board. Nor does it mean they make too much money.

• Options

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

In other words $52k in taxes does not make someone the richest person on the board. Nor does it mean they make too much money.

They're paying more like $43k in taxes =

10% Up to $18,550 = $1,855
    15% $18,551 to $75,300 = $8,512
    25% $75,301 to $151,900 = $19,150
    28% $151,901 to $231,450 = $13,468
  • Options

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.
  • Options

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.
    Yeah, at the end of the day they're doing pretty friggin swell.
  • Options

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.
    They're are doing just fine.
    Throw in a mortgage payment and 3 kids who all are going to college..

And your broke!
    Haha
  • Options

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.

And your broke!
    Haha
    Haha. Well, yeah, start living the "American Dream" as many people think it should be lived, and sure - start taking on more than you can chew and that'll do it.
  • Options

rgambs said:

No, enlighten me on why we should bash everything the GOP does. Exactly. You don't know why. You are about to google some things, but your immediate reaction has no value. Go to the Hillary page, where you none thinkers belong!

I don't need Google to show me how inept this campaign is, and how scary the scapegoating of minorities and immigrants is becoming.
    How so? And aside from that, only one of the candidates is currently under federal investigation. why would I want to support someone in that situation? It's dumb. How hard is it not to go under federal investigation? Seriously??? That's your racehorse??
    You don't have to justify your support for the Trumpster you obviously agree with him ..
    1- Mexicans are rapist & murderes
    2- soldiers who get captured by the enemy should never be considered heroes ..
    3- Muslims should be banned from entering this country .
    4- women who have to have an abortion should be penalized ..
    5- we have to build a wall
  • Options

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.

And your broke!
    Haha
    Haha. Well, yeah, start living the "American Dream" as many people think it should be lived, and sure - start taking on more than you can chew and that'll do it.
    People overspending and not knowing how to manage money.

A problem that certainly exists.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,768

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.
    Yes, but remember this is all before deductions which saves the middle class tax payer a ton of money. The mortgage interest deduction is enormous in this country. After my interest, plus charity, I get very close to max deductions. This greatly lowers the taxable income and lowers most families, with a house and kids, into the high teens for effective federal income tax.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.
    Yes, but remember this is all before deductions which saves the middle class tax payer a ton of money. The mortgage interest deduction is enormous in this country. After my interest, plus charity, I get very close to max deductions. This greatly lowers the taxable income and lowers most families, with a house and kids, into the high teens for effective federal income tax.
    Just a simple story.

For 5 years I have tried to get my property taxes adjusted. And each and every time I tried, it was denied. Well, yesterday, to my surprise, I received 2 nice checks in the mail for 2011 and 2012. I was told to expect 3 more checks.

Overpaying for 5 years, now has my wife and I planning our trip to Mexico. Haha

• Options

mrussel1 said:

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.
    Just a simple story.

For 5 years I have tried to get my property taxes adjusted. And each and every time I tried, it was denied. Well, yesterday, to my surprise, I received 2 nice checks in the mail for 2011 and 2012. I was told to expect 3 more checks.

Get down there before the wall goes up after that who knows what will happen lol oh you are probably flying so no worries about crossing border glad you got some refunds on taxes ..
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.
    Just a simple story.

Get down there before the wall goes up after that who knows what will happen lol oh you are probably flying so no worries about crossing border glad you got some refunds on taxes ..
    Yeah, was pleasantly surprised yesterday. It was like winning the lottery. Well, a small lottery, but we decided a vacation is in order.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,768

mrussel1 said:

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.
    Just a simple story.

Well that is excellent news! Congrats.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Thank you for the info.
    Just a simple story.

Yeah, was pleasantly surprised yesterday. It was like winning the lottery. Well, a small lottery, but we decided a vacation is in order.
    Nice any winnings is a good thing enjoy it !
  • Options
    edited July 2016

10% Up to $18,550
    15% $18,551 to $75,300
    25% $75,301 to $151,900
    28% $151,901 to $231,450

Wait, you know who the richest person on the board is? (maybe it's you! If so, congrats!) ;)
    I didn't notice anyone say that they make too much (maybe I missed it). I think they were just saying it seems like enough, relatively speaking. I didn't see it as an attack on people with money, but rather just a response to complaining about paying taxes while being pretty well-off.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
This discussion has been closed.