Options

Discussion: The Lottery has turned Tickets Into "Trade Bait"

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    subpoprockcitysubpoprockcity Posts: 241
    edited January 2016

Get used to it. This is pearl jam 2016, and I hate to say it, but it's a much different animal than pearl jam 1996. No amount of debating, begging, or crying is going to change it. Just like everything else, old timers, if you don't embrace it and jump on the train, you're going to be left behind. I recommend learning from this and deciding if it's something you want to be a part of or not, because no amount of bitching is going to bring back the old days.

When you're left behind, you usually drink whiskey, blink a lot, and yell stuff like "get off my lawn!"

we're talking about change that's happened in the last ten years, not 1996, respectfully.
    Further, ridiculing the age of members on here probably won't win you points. But hey, if this is what the fan base is like and anyone over 30 is in get-off-my-lawn territory, then I think a few folks here will have to reconsider if this is what they want to endorse.
    Post edited by subpoprockcity on
  • Options
    jnikojniko Posts: 292
    Some fans weren't even born when others were signing up for the fan club. That doesn't mean they don't love the music as much or aren't as big a fan. If it was all based on seniority new fans could never see the band from close up. I think GA gives all fans an equal chance to be close to the band.
  • Options
    jniko said:

Some fans weren't even born when others were signing up for the fan club. That doesn't mean they don't love the music as much or aren't as big a fan. If it was all based on seniority new fans could never see the band from close up. I think GA gives all fans an equal chance to be close to the band.

no one is arguing that years of membership = better or greater fandom. it equals more years, and that did mean something, and still apparently does in some context. They did randomize blocks near the stage during the last few tours just to avoid what you're suggesting.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150

Get used to it. This is pearl jam 2016, and I hate to say it, but it's a much different animal than pearl jam 1996. No amount of debating, begging, or crying is going to change it. Just like everything else, old timers, if you don't embrace it and jump on the train, you're going to be left behind. I recommend learning from this and deciding if it's something you want to be a part of or not, because no amount of bitching is going to bring back the old days.

When you're left behind, you usually drink whiskey, blink a lot, and yell stuff like "get off my lawn!"

we're talking about change that's happened in the last ten years, not 1996, respectfully.
    Further, ridiculing the age of members on here probably won't win you points. But hey, if this is what the fan base is like and anyone over 30 is in get-off-my-lawn territory, then I think a few folks here will have to reconsider if this is what they want to endorse.
    Lol, I'm well well over 30.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Just don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The tickets that people are complaining about are NYC, Philly, Boston, Seattle and to a lesser extent Chicago and Toronto. Lots of people got 4-5 tickets in this lottery because outside of shows in these cities there is a lot of ticket capacity for fans to get multiple shows. So, limiting fan club members to one show per tour doesn't help with the NYC or Boston odds because sold out in the first round anyway. Basically, don't take away the ability to get tickets to multiple shows!
  • Options

doesn't change my argument. throwing contempt at the older fans is out of line.
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    MG79478 said:

I've been against the lottery since day 1, glad others are finally catching up. All the best things in life should be earned. The fans who stayed at the keyboard hitting F5 for hours should be rewarded with tickets. For the record, I actually got tickets to every show I wanted via the lottery... and it feels dirty. But I sleep at night because I know I would have gotten them in the old system, because I was NEVER shut out.

The solution is easy, go back to the good old days, bring seniority in to the mix and get rid of GA. Since tickets can't be earned by F5 effort, they should be earned by seniority. Sign up for a new account all you want, but the number will be so bad you won't get tickets to the best shows. If two members were married and have legitimate memberships, they won't be effected. Plus long time fans will be rewarded for their loyalty.

And again, as a result you get a lifelong seasons pass for the best seats at face value, and I get nothing, forever. Because you hit F5 a bunch a times years ago? You get GA for every show ever until PJ is no more and I never get to experience it? Even though I've been to over a dozen shows that I got in by whatever means over the years? All because your membership number in a fan club is lower than mine? Forgive me not supporting this ticket distribution model.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options

Oh no, I'm out of line! Kind of like the last 70 posts you've made which since you were zeroed in the lottery? Get over it dude, no amount of crying is going to change anything. I'm old too, and was totally joking around, but I understand that things change, and it's only fair that everyone should have an equal chance at tix, regardless of age or years in the club. Seems like you lost your sense of humor. I don't want to give up my seniority either, but I absolutely accept that if I want to have any seniority at all, I'll go for reserved tix where it will matter.
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

MG79478 said:

I've been against the lottery since day 1, glad others are finally catching up. All the best things in life should be earned. The fans who stayed at the keyboard hitting F5 for hours should be rewarded with tickets. For the record, I actually got tickets to every show I wanted via the lottery... and it feels dirty. But I sleep at night because I know I would have gotten them in the old system, because I was NEVER shut out.

The solution is easy, go back to the good old days, bring seniority in to the mix and get rid of GA. Since tickets can't be earned by F5 effort, they should be earned by seniority. Sign up for a new account all you want, but the number will be so bad you won't get tickets to the best shows. If two members were married and have legitimate memberships, they won't be effected. Plus long time fans will be rewarded for their loyalty.

And again, as a result you get a lifelong seasons pass for the best seats at face value, and I get nothing, forever. Because you hit F5 a bunch a times years ago? You get GA for every show ever until PJ is no more and I never get to experience it? Even though I've been to over a dozen shows that I got in by whatever means over the years? All because your membership number in a fan club is lower than mine? Forgive me not supporting this ticket distribution model.
    I have never received GA for every show.

I mailed in my choice for one pair of tickets for one show.

Going the ticketmaster route involved a lot of F5 too.

When they can seniority for anything tour related and the duplicate accounts multiply, feel free to let everyone know about your lack of tickets then.
  • Options
    jniko said:

I wasn't born when motorhead showed up on the scene and missed their best years. You don't see me yelling at the fans that did.
  • Options

And dude, one more thing, while you're talking about the fan base, can you please please just stop posting? No one wants to hear about how things are unfair and you got cheated and it's all bullshit anymore. You have a chance on Friday. You've been told a hundred times already that you'll get a ticket if you really want one, there's lots of avenues these days.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

And dude, one more thing, while you're talking about the fan base, can you please please just stop posting? No one wants to hear about how things are unfair and you got cheated and it's all bullshit anymore. You have a chance on Friday. You've been told a hundred times already that you'll get a ticket if you really want one, there's lots of avenues these days.
    you can ignore it. I don't go and read threads I don't want to read. Thanks.

I can talk about the fan base all I want. I don't like older members referred to with disdain, and I don't like the overall attitude shown here and at shows to people who didn't get fan club tickets and are told to get them from scalpers, TM or stubhub, often at ridiculous prices. Says a lot about who goes to the shows, and not good things.
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited January 2016
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

so the ten club has been reduced to nothing more than a chance for tickets in cases like this. call it for what it is.

It's always been about the tickets. And always will be. Like every other fan club. People sell presale codes and do all types of terrible stuff.
    that's what I'm getting at, and getting grief for suggesting that the fan club is about more than tickets. I think we're agreeing.
    To me this all comes down to the shady practices of the secondary market. Springsteen has no fanclub tickets and its next to impossible to get tickets to even one show. People get super stressed when they lose the lottery because they know how it works in ticketmaster. They know tickets will be on stubhub seconds later at a gigantic mark up. They know instead of 169-190 a pair they will now have to pay close to a thousand JUST TO GET IN THE BUILDING. A lot of these threads are deeply rooted in that IMO.
    In advance, I know this is not a popular opinion here, but....

Start thinking of tickets as a commodity just like any others and not some sort of untouchable license that is a sin to sell for market value and it makes it a lot easier to accept man.

The issue when it comes to tickets like these is the emotion that comes with them. No one has a sentimental attachment to their stocks, so no one cares that people try to buy low and sell high, bit when it comes to this stuff it touches a nerve because people think its unfair that people are making money off the thing they passionately want to see. I am able to see it for what it is though. Simple supply and demand. For every ticket there are 5,000 people that want it. This is a capitalist country. People are always gonna want to profit on guaranteed margins. Its just the way it is. I can see the anger people selling 10c tickets for over face, as that is kinda dickish, but to be totally honest I'm 100% ok with anyone that gets tickets through TM on Friday throwing them up on Stubhub for whatever they can get for rm.

God bless America baby!
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options

I can talk about the fan base all I want. I don't like older members referred to with disdain, and I don't like the overall attitude shown here and at shows to people who didn't get fan club tickets and are told to get them from scalpers, TM or stubhub, often at ridiculous prices. Says a lot about who goes to the shows, and not good things.
    Feeling entitled?

See you at the show!!!
  • Options

I wasn't referring to them with disdain. Have a drink and chill out. You are so wound up that you took my line "When you're left behind, you usually drink whiskey, blink a lot, and yell stuff like "get off my lawn!" as a serious comment meant to hurt. You need a break dude, go take a walk and chill out. It was a joke.
  • Options

Feeling entitled?

See you at the show!!!
    sure, where you will see what real entitlement looks like when the forums fill up with complaints about seat locations from those who were able to get tickets. Sounds fantastic.
  • Options

Oh no, I'm out of line! Kind of like the last 70 posts you've made which since you were zeroed in the lottery? Get over it dude, no amount of crying is going to change anything. I'm old too, and was totally joking around, but I understand that things change, and it's only fair that everyone should have an equal chance at tix, regardless of age or years in the club. Seems like you lost your sense of humor. I don't want to give up my seniority either, but I absolutely accept that if I want to have any seniority at all, I'll go for reserved tix where it will matter.
    I'd prefer to post here than send people direct messages, or emails, as I've received for having an opinion on the matter.

I can disagree with you and not be an ass about it. That's sort of the forum policy. Might be worth respecting.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346

I have never seen intoxicated frat boys in GA. Maybe some people are tipsy, but GA in America is very tame and civilized compared to other countries. In 2012 we were in Berlin for two nights, and soaked from sweat and absolutely exhausted after being about 8 people back in night 1, so we went farther back in night 2. People are more portly built and older in the US than in Europe, or at least that is my experience. And that creates a much calmer atmosphere in the pit.

Since we're all talking about luck, maybe you got lucky. the no GA seats were a blessing for the non fratty crowd, or women who didn't want to deal with all that nonsense for yet another tour.
    Actually I think being in a pit is better for that intoxicated frat boy scenario that you describe. Because you can just change spots. That is another nice part of GA. In buffalo in 2014, an intoxicated woman was behind us in the seated area (tm tix, nice spot) who was a little annoiying in the first part of the show yelling FUCK I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE over and over again. She was getting too drunk soon though and all was good. I like that I have aspot to go back to with seats, but I love not being confined in GA. Both have their advantages. Intoxicated people will be anywhere.
  • Options
    I remember the days when you had to hope to find a scalper or a score a miracle ticket in the lot. You were on 5 horizons trying to score, or talking with people you traded tapes with, begging them for an extra. Now you get on your iPad and there's tickets everywhere. Sure you have to pay, but if the issue is that you are pissed you may miss your fav band, it's a shitload easier these days than those.
  • Options

I have never seen intoxicated frat boys in GA. Maybe some people are tipsy, but GA in America is very tame and civilized compared to other countries. In 2012 we were in Berlin for two nights, and soaked from sweat and absolutely exhausted after being about 8 people back in night 1, so we went farther back in night 2. People are more portly built and older in the US than in Europe, or at least that is my experience. And that creates a much calmer atmosphere in the pit.

Since we're all talking about luck, maybe you got lucky. the no GA seats were a blessing for the non fratty crowd, or women who didn't want to deal with all that nonsense for yet another tour.
    Actually I think being in a pit is better for that intoxicated frat boy scenario that you describe. Because you can just change spots. That is another nice part of GA. In buffalo in 2014, an intoxicated woman was behind us in the seated area (tm tix, nice spot) who was a little annoiying in the first part of the show yelling FUCK I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE over and over again. She was getting too drunk soon though and all was good. I like that I have aspot to go back to with seats, but I love not being confined in GA. Both have their advantages. Intoxicated people will be anywhere.
    was it not possible to contact security?
  • Options
    I have a very unpopular solution- charge the market rate for the tix. Done.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

I'd prefer to post here than send people direct messages, or emails, as I've received for having an opinion on the matter.

I can disagree with you and not be an ass about it. That's sort of the forum policy. Might be worth respecting.
    Wasn't your whole argument at the start after you lost yesterday that it wasn't worth being a member anymore? I thought that's what you said over and over again. Now you're protecting the same fan club you then disposed just yesterday and acting like you strongly believe in the forum rules. The same rules that you didn't agree with, right?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    How about we have a "Feats of Strength" competition for tickets. Pretty sure I can out lift some other fan's 10 year old kid that they signed up to get extra tickets. Any other problems I can solve?

Edit: After reading this thread, some of the old-timers may have trouble with lifting more weight than a 10 year old. We can add 1970's trivia to the competition.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Wasn't your whole argument at the start after you lost yesterday that it wasn't worth being a member anymore? I thought that's what you said over and over again. Now you're protecting the same fan club you then disposed just yesterday and acting like you strongly believe in the forum rules. The same rules that you didn't agree with, right?
    the forum and the fan club ticket distribution policies are different. One of them is to promote people not being an ass to those on the forums that disagree with them. The other is how tickets are distributed. Ticket rules and forum rules are different.

But if you're ok with being rude to other members on here, go right ahead. There's a distinction between breaking a policy and disagreeing with it.
    Can you make a strong argument that they should avoid monitoring the forums?
    Others here have made arguments for another ticket distribution system.

Apples and oranges.
  • Options

How about we have a "Feats of Strength" competition for tickets. Pretty sure I can out lift some other fan's 10 year old kid that they signed up to get extra tickets. Any other problems I can solve?

Edit: After reading this thread, some of the old-timers may have trouble with lifting more weight than a 10 year old. We can add 1970's trivia to the competition.

Yeah if it's a lifting competition I'm fucked.
  • Options

Or how about they do it based on who has a better PJ collection? No way any of you guys would beat me man. I have Ten on CD.
  • Options

Or how about they do it based on who has a better PJ collection? No way any of you guys would beat me man. I have Ten on CD.
    But is it the Bulgarian slightly off burgundy colored release? Always going to be someone out there with a better collection.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I need some f*ck in my life!!!
  • Options

the forum and the fan club ticket distribution policies are different. One of them is to promote people not being an ass to those on the forums that disagree with them. The other is how tickets are distributed. Ticket rules and forum rules are different.

But if you're ok with being rude to other members on here, go right ahead. There's a distinction between breaking a policy and disagreeing with it.
    Can you make a strong argument that they should avoid monitoring the forums?
    Others here have made arguments for another ticket distribution system.

Apples and oranges.
    I treat them both the same because they're both headed and run by 10c. But I see your point. Forums should totally be regulated. I haven't called you any names or done anything wrong though.

Curious why you're still a member though, did people sway you to stay? I never sent you any pm's or emails whatever you're talking about here, so don't try to vilainize me. I have an opinion, and like you to yours, I'm entitled to it. That's what a forum is all about, people expressing thoughts, ideas, and chatting with each other, just like other forums. I'm just sick of reading your negative posts about the 10c, and after page after page of reading it, had to say something about it.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346

was it not possible to contact security?
    :lol: Really? She was just drunk. Was she annoying? Hell yeah. But I just kept leaning forwards. I still enjoyed the show, it was the tour opener and I had a blast.

Also, I don't really remember many people posting about how shitty their reserved seats were after the recent shows. Or I just ignored them :relaxed: Yes, even if my seated tix in Philly are behind GA I will have a wonderful time. The next show will be different, and I will also have a good time. And for every show I cannot attend, I will follow the setlist thread on here if I have the time, because even that is fun. I am glad I have the financial and health means to go to shows of my favourite band.
This discussion has been closed.