Options

Discussion: The Lottery has turned Tickets Into "Trade Bait"

shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
edited January 2016 in The Porch
so... let me start off by saying, this is not a complaint based on not winning yesterday, but a discussion that 10C needs to address...

Today I will be signing up my wife for a 10C membership - she has little interest in this club, other than she knows that I can sometimes, get tickets through it... needless to say, it will be a digital membership, with access for ticket drawings.

This is a practice that has become fairly rampant throughout the community.... the other day I saw a thread from a guy asking how old someone had to be to sign up, ostensibly because he was looking to see if he could sign up his kid and get an extra lottery entry for the upcoming tour....

I get the feeling 10C has turned a blind eye to this because (a) who wants to sift through thousands of memberships and find duplicate households/last names and eliminate them (and who says that would even be right - their are at least a few situations where duplicate membership in a household is warranted) and (b) it's an additional revenue stream - they collect an extra $20 or $25 annually from someone who causes little difficulty or action on their behalf.

All that being said - in the last 24 hours, it's also become fairly apparent to me that I should have signed up my wife prior to this tour for the additional lottery entries, as even if I had of wound up with duplicate pairs to the same show - it would have been great "trade bait" to maybe actually get tickets to one of the 2 MSG shows I placed my name in the hat for.

I see multiple threads in given to fly and lost dogs advertising trading of pairs... and what we can see happening on this board is small in comparison to the facebook community that is probably trading extra ticket pairs without any of the scrutiny you see here... or the uncertainty of someone who may or may not show up at the next event to give you your tickets...

anyway, i've always been an honest guy - so I never signed up my wife to cheat the system. that changes today. 10C can have $60 annually from me if it means an extra chance at tickets...

I would love to hear an intelligent comment on this from other board members, and particularly a response from the 10C. That being said, this will probably devolve into another thread where people bemoan the fact they got shut out on tickets and realize that part of it maybe because of people cheating the system....

anyway, just remember - every thread or post of people trying to trade "pairs" of 10C tickets, it's the club itself that is driving this unique situation.

see everyone in Tampa (for sure), and hopefully MSG if I can get lucky and find a pair for night 1, and a single for night 2 (anyone with extras for sale, feel free to PM me - I have no scruples with anything you did to get the extras, soon I will be doing it too)....

cheers,

andrew
Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
Post edited by shep on

Comments

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,634
    A single ticket option in the lottery would help this, for people who attend many shows alone like myself. If I can only win a pair, why wouldn't I try to trade it for a single in another city?
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652

A single ticket option in the lottery would help this, for people who attend many shows alone like myself. If I can only win a pair, why wouldn't I try to trade it for a single in another city?

I'm not commenting on "singles" you see for sale or trade...

I'm talking exclusively about "pairs" that people are offering.... for the most part it is because people wound up with 2 pairs to the same show based on multiple memberships in the same household.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Ah, gotcha, my bad
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited January 2016
    I have been yelling about this "loophole" since this system began. More people seem to be exploiting it and also noticing it.

Everywhere you look now, you see: "I got XXXX, my wife/brother/buddy/dog/parakeet got XXXX!" And/Or "Got extra pair for XXXX, looking for XXXX"

It is a pretty large hole in the system and I think it would be mended a great deal by A: one pool for each show and GA is drawn after the fact and we find out when we pick up tickets. and B: Ticketless entry. You put in for tickets, you better intend on using them. Spouses, etc with numbers in the 6xxxxx range will have a good chance to use those tickets and cant just jump straight to going for GA tickets, while the longstanding member goes for all the Reserved.
    The 6XXXXX member still has as good of a chance for GA as anybody.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    MayDay10 said:

I have been yelling about this "loophole" since this system began. More people seem to be exploiting it and also noticing it.

Everywhere you look now, you see: "I got XXXX, my wife/brother/buddy/dog/parakeet got XXXX!" And/Or "Got extra pair for XXXX, looking for XXXX"

It is a pretty large hole in the system and I think it would be mended a great deal by A: one pool for each show and GA is drawn after the fact and we find out when we pick up tickets. and B: Ticketless entry.

I still can't believe PJ has not moved to ticket less entry for the public sales.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I get the spouse thing. However, they can't really prevent that from happening. I know plenty of couples who have their own 10c accounts. My wife doesn't. I've considered it for the very same reasons in this post. I have a 4 year old son. I won't sign him up though, that's just ridiculous. Besides, lol how would he pick up tickets?
  • Options

I get the spouse thing. However, they can't really prevent that from happening. I know plenty of couples who have their own 10c accounts. My wife doesn't. I've considered it for the very same reasons in this post. I have a 4 year old son. I won't sign him up though, that's just ridiculous. Besides, lol how would he pick up tickets?

If your spouse had a number in the 600,000 range, would you go for tickets on her account, knowing if she scored you tickets, you had a 75-80% chance of sitting in 600,000 seniority range tickets? The current system allows people to get accounts and just go straight to GA with all entries, with no risk. Furthermore, they can not pay for membership fees when there arent any tour chatter because the # means nothing.
  • Options
    the_donthe_don Posts: 512
    It's actually pretty easy to limit to one membership per household. Tons of sites and other bands do this and solve the problem.
    2000: Montreal 2003: Toronto 2005: Toronto 2006: Toronto x2 2008: MSG x2, Montreal x2 (EV), Toronto x2 (EV) 2009: Toronto 2010: Buffalo 2011: Detroit (EV), PJ20 x2, Montreal, Toronto x2, Ottawa, Hamilton 2013: London, Buffalo, Brooklyn x2, Philly x2 2014: Detroit 2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x2, Fenway x2 2018: Home Shows x2 2020: L.A. x2, Oakland x2 
    2023: Seattle x2 (EV) 2024: Vancouver x2, Seattle x2 (ISO: 1 N1 Seattle GA)
  • Options
    the_don said:

It's actually pretty easy to limit to one membership per household. Tons of sites and other bands do this and solve the problem.

That sucks for households who actually have multiple, good fans
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Devils advocate on the selling of a pair. Two seperate 10C members want to go to a show together. They both put in for reserved to try and make sure they get a pair. They both win and now have 4 tickets when they only need 2. So they trade or sell for face value one of the pairs on the boards here, kepping 1 complete pair so they can sit together for the show. My point is don't automatically assume when a pair is up for trade or sale that it was someone bucking the system.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

If your spouse had a number in the 600,000 range, would you go for tickets on her account, knowing if she scored you tickets, you had a 75-80% chance of sitting in 600,000 seniority range tickets? The current system allows people to get accounts and just go straight to GA with all entries, with no risk. Furthermore, they can not pay for membership fees when there arent any tour chatter because the # means nothing.
    As long as I don't have to go through the hassle of trying to land tickets from TM I really don't care where I sit. Sure it's fun sitting in really good seats but I have a good time no matter where I'm sitting. (Go Sabres!).
  • Options
    My wife and I have seen 80+ shows between us, and both had memberships prior to getting together. The fact that you even mention deleting duplicate households is absurd. I understand that there are some instances where people sign up other family members, but there's not much that can be done about it.

I wonder if you have to be a certain age to join the 10c. My son is gonna be 2 in April and he's a big fan! :bawling:
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    I'm also the rare fan who really doesn't like GA. Being on the rail would be great but I don't want to wait in a line and I hate being nut to butt w/ all of you. :D
  • Options

the_don said:

That sucks for households who actually have multiple, good fans
    Nah, there's still tons of loop holes even if they do that (work address, friends address, etc. but would make it slightly more difficult than the current system
    2000: Montreal 2003: Toronto 2005: Toronto 2006: Toronto x2 2008: MSG x2, Montreal x2 (EV), Toronto x2 (EV) 2009: Toronto 2010: Buffalo 2011: Detroit (EV), PJ20 x2, Montreal, Toronto x2, Ottawa, Hamilton 2013: London, Buffalo, Brooklyn x2, Philly x2 2014: Detroit 2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x2, Fenway x2 2018: Home Shows x2 2020: L.A. x2, Oakland x2 
  • Options

The fact that you even mention deleting duplicate households is absurd.

That and it's also really easy to put a different address. Put your parents address down on 1 account if you have to, etc.
  • Options

Devils advocate on the selling of a pair. Two seperate 10C members want to go to a show together. They both put in for reserved to try and make sure they get a pair. They both win and now have 4 tickets when they only need 2. So they trade or sell for face value one of the pairs on the boards here, kepping 1 complete pair so they can sit together for the show. My point is don't automatically assume when a pair is up for trade or sale that it was someone bucking the system.

This may be true, but I've yet to see a single TO for sale, everyone is pretty much only using for trade at this point. May change closer to the show (I hope)
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I have no problem with it. My only regret was that I didn't sign up my wife before the tour announcement so we would have had more of a chance at GA.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    rmwatsonrmwatson Posts: 159
    Is it really cheating a system if that person's wife/son/daughter,etc. still needs to go pick up the tickets? If I signed my wife up, and her account won tickets, she would laugh in my face if I told her I needed her to drive down to the Wells Fargo Center to pick up tickets for me. Now, if a wife/son/daughter actually wanted to go to the shows as well, then why should she/he not be allowed the same chance at tickets as myself and every other fan. I get that there may be spouses out there that would go pick up tickets; but if someone is going to go to all of that trouble, who cares, and my guess is that number is probably small. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show. No system will ever be 100% perfect for all users. Everyone just needs to accept that this is not 1996 anymore, anti-establishment anymore. This band has an enormous following. They are a multi-million dollar corporation. Its business, plain and simple; and good business at that.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I would say this falls into the "morality" stratosphere ... it's sort of cheating but not ... technically, this is all above board and everyone can do it ... and those who are doing it will rationalize it however they want ... but the reality is that - if the objective is to get tickets to true fans as fair as possible - this system does not necessarily accomplish that ...
  • Options
    I dont mind if they have the same chance, really.

I just believe this practice is widespread due to the ability for the new member to specifically target GA seats, while the longer standing member targets his/her reserved with higher odds and guaranteed good location.
    To me, the eyeball test shows this is going on a lot. Here as well as the facebook groups, you hear people talk about their successes, what tickets they have available to trade, etc and it is clear as day. I noticed it in 2013 but it wasnt nearly at epidemic levels it is at now... and I believe it will only increase as 2 people said they are signing up spouses here in this thread on page 1 alone.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Maybe I'm old school and really don't care if I see a rock band in concert anymore. If my wife wants in, she can sign herself up. If my kids want in, they can get a job and sign up themselves.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    shep said:

That being said, this will probably devolve into another thread where people bemoan the fact they got shut out on tickets and realize that part of it maybe because of people cheating the system....

anyway, just remember - every thread or post of people trying to trade "pairs" of 10C tickets, it's the club itself that is driving this unique situation.

That's part of why I find it hard to agree that this particular system is more fair than any other one used previously. Multiple household memberships = more ticket chances. Doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the club...
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,467
    Do you not think people had multiple memberships prior to the lottery? I'm sure people had spouse/family/friends f5ing for tickets during the previous tours.

I don't think anything has changed much.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

Do you not think people had multiple memberships prior to the lottery? I'm sure people had spouse/family/friends f5ing for tickets during the previous tours.

I don't think anything has changed much.

again though, there were limits put on tickets per person/account. Limited to one pair per person per show, and one show. The difference now is with multiple accounts, you have one pair per person for many shows.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It is a bit of a jackpot scenario to be a single show goer and score GA tix, if you get lucky and get a pair it guarantees you another GA ticket.
    Not making a judgement on it, just noting that it's a bummer for peopl who get shut out to see others parlaying their GA tix into more GA tix.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    spouse/family/friends werent nearly motivated enough to do what it took to be trusted with F5 duties.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
    edited January 2016
    MayDay10 said:

spouse/family/friends werent nearly motivated enough to do what it took to be trusted with F5 duties.

Yep - and scalpers don't have the patience - lottery easy for them.

Bring back F5! xD

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options

That and it's also really easy to put a different address. Put your parents address down on 1 account if you have to, etc.
    You'd still have to drive you mom, dad, brother, sister, grandmother to the venue and they'd have to pick them up. If people are gonna go through that trouble, so be it.
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I dont think they should go back to f5 free for alls....

But the current system isnt perfect and provides a lot of room for suggestions and improvement, no? Shouldnt we hope that it evolves and improves?
  • Options

You'd still have to drive you mom, dad, brother, sister, grandmother to the venue and they'd have to pick them up. If people are gonna go through that trouble, so be it.
    and i've seen it with my own eyes happen at shows.
This discussion has been closed.