Options

Discussion: The Lottery has turned Tickets Into "Trade Bait"

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214

lottery or not,,,f5 or not,,public sale or not....
    the same faces are at rail all the shows im going...everywhere i wernt..to usa..to europe to sa..are the same..
    same as trade bait the lottery was before,,2 friend went to online sale here at the store..1 went for philly other for msg..they exchange their spare...

So if the same faces are showing up regardless of f5 or lottery, that sort of debunks the new faces argument.

the same faces do it,,cos they go to the rail cos there are 10c ga tix now to ALL the countries
    people want to be in the show..lottery or not
    i won 1 florida and im going to all..nothing stop me,,lottery,onlne,ticketmaster..
    the thing is the system they sell tickets to secure all to be fair and same chances for all..
    and noone put his finger in the system.and wins all the time..now he cant,,its a draw...
    he just can make better odds with his pick up..but the draw??
    is secure he cant cheat
    except with multiple accounts, which is one of the issues raised here.
    so,,someone from italy and mexico how many multiple acounts have to win msg?
    someone from seattle?
    from miami?
    and how many id or passports u have?i have only one..atleast in my country peoople has one..
    and who said will win?and if u have 7 acounts and win one u paid 140 extra for 1 paior...isnt worth
    and they dont tour every year at the states?so u will pay multiple acounts at years which u dont know if they gonna tour?
    and why the previous system didt allow to have multiple aclounts?
    even better u cant cheat the lottey and win all.,.but with f-5 and multiples u could cheat and win all
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

So it's perfect and no improvements are possible and shouldn't be brought up, discussed, or otherwise considered.

No. You're not allowed to do that here.
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

So it's perfect and no improvements are possible and shouldn't be brought up, discussed, or otherwise considered.

I'll be honest, the fan base gets a bad reputation, and I'm starting to see why.
  • Options

the same faces are at rail all the shows im going...everywhere i wernt..to usa..to europe to sa..are the same..
    same as trade bait the lottery was before,,2 friend went to online sale here at the store..1 went for philly other for msg..they exchange their spare...

So if the same faces are showing up regardless of f5 or lottery, that sort of debunks the new faces argument.

the same faces do it,,cos they go to the rail cos there are 10c ga tix now to ALL the countries
    i won 1 florida and im going to all..nothing stop me,,lottery,onlne,ticketmaster..
    the thing is the system they sell tickets to secure all to be fair and same chances for all..
    and noone put his finger in the system.and wins all the time..now he cant,,its a draw...
    is secure he cant cheat
    someone from seattle?
    from miami?
    and how many id or passports u have?i have only one..atleast in my country peoople has one..
    and who said will win?and if u have 7 acounts and win one u paid 140 extra for 1 paior...isnt worth
    and they dont tour every year at the states?so u will pay multiple acounts at years which u dont know if they gonna tour?
    even better u cant cheat the lottey and win all.,.but with f-5 and multiples u could cheat and win all
    right, you don't need a passport to pick up tickets. This is simple, and explained elsewhere in the thread. The person who bought the tickets, with a separate account created just to up their odds, picks up the tickets at will call. They give them to others, for cash, trade, whatever.

Also, you can just cancel your account if it's a non-touring year. Also brought up elsewhere and not a motivator to keep a constant membership active.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    MayDay10 said:

I think we can safely say:
    1. GA is not going away
    2. Seniority will never determine who can buy tickets
    3. F5 for 10c tickets is gone for good (barring a special-one-time event type of deal through a 3rd party.

I think it is very likely that
    1. Seniority will never decide who is in GA
    2. We will never see any sort of region-restriction on purchasing tickets

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

is secure he cant cheat
    someone from seattle?
    from miami?
    right, you don't need a passport to pick up tickets. This is simple, and explained elsewhere in the thread. The person who bought the tickets, with a separate account created just to up their odds, picks up the tickets at will call. They give them to others, for cash, trade, whatever.

Also, you can just cancel your account if it's a non-touring year. Also brought up elsewhere and not a motivator to keep a constant membership active.
    so u can go to the same box office 7 times with 7 different ids or passports?
    who are u ?cia?
    cancel your acount?1st time ever someone said that...
    and u can do this before lottery!!!!and no need luck!!!!u could cheat systemand won always..
    lottery u cant win,,isnt in your hands
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,599

MayDay10 said:

I'll be honest, the fan base gets a bad reputation, and I'm starting to see why.
    What took you so long?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited January 2016
    No, Dimi, he is talking about people who sign up their kids, dogs, or spouses who are no fans. You could say that these are people with multiple accounts because several members of a household have a membership.
  • Options

No, Dimi, he is talking about people who sign up their kids, dogs, or spouses who are no fans. You could say that these are people with multiple accounts because several members of a household have a membership.

what stops that action in the previous system??
    the one can be cheated and this one not?
    its the same now as was before with people have several acounts
  • Options
    With the F5 system I would say it was probably harder to get tickets for multiple accounts if one person is taking care of them. The lottery does not involve as much "work time", so to speak. You just log in, enter your picks and wait. I guess this makes multiple memberships more attractive. As well as the possibility of entering for GA with the new memberships and for Reserved with the "better number". This is part of what pisses so many people off.
  • Options
    FE55353FE55353 Greenville, SC Posts: 64
    I decided to not read all of the posts. If there is a limit on the number of memberships, should there be a limit on travel distance? Why should a member with a lower number than mine get a better seat because he will fly from San Diego to Greenville, SC?

Back in 98 Ticketmaster had a lottery system the first time I bought tickets. You waited in line outside of the store and then they handed out random numbers. A woman showed up right before the onsale time and got the first place in line when the numbers were handed out.

It's just a concert, maybe we could put our collective minds together on how to feed the hungry that live within miles of each venue, or get medical care for the homeless, or some other very worthy cause.

The only way to get a perfect solution would be for the band to take reservations for each city and then try to find a venue that will hold that many people all at once or over a couple of nights. It would still leave out the very newest fans, and the shows wouldn't be the same but this forum wouldn't be any fun if someone didn't get hosed. LOL
    "If you are listening to this bootleg in Alaska, open the front door." Eddie Vedder 10/8/00

Alpine Valley: 6/26/98, 10/8/00, 6/21/03, 9/3/11 Target Center: 6/30/98
    Summerfest: 6/30/06 Music Midtown: 9/22/12 Wrigley Field: 7/19 & 7/20/13, 8/20/16
    Charlotte: 10/30/13
    Greenville: 4/16/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Wrigley Field: 8/20/2016
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    it's just so over... and I blame the fans
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

MayDay10 said:

What took you so long?
    good question. better late than never?
  • Options

what stops that action in the previous system??
    the one can be cheated and this one not?
    its the same now as was before with people have several acounts
    except you can put in for unlimited shows per account. this is a big shift.
  • Options
    I guess I'm lucky because I did well in the lottery and I'd be upset too if I was shut out. But I think a lot of the people most upset are so because they were shut out of major markets and likely listed GA's with their top picks. You have every right to be upset about not getting anything but you need to be realistic about it as well. If you went with a very risky path and didnt prepare yourself to be disappointed then that's something you have to deal with. The lottery system is fair - the club knows what they're doing. People just are unrealistic and are lashing out looking for a scapegoat is what I think is happening on this board.
  • Options

is secure he cant cheat
    someone from seattle?
    from miami?

so u can go to the same box office 7 times with 7 different ids or passports?
    who are u ?cia?
    cancel your acount?1st time ever someone said that...
    and u can do this before lottery!!!!and no need luck!!!!u could cheat systemand won always..
    lottery u cant win,,isnt in your hands

yes. i am CIA.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,926
    I think if you get rid of ga you get rid of a lot of headaches. Bring back seating and have rows 1-5 be totally random. Or have one show based on seniority and another show all random.
    I ve been in the 10c since 96 and I ve never seen tickets go so quickly. I can't believe the competition even for the small markets!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    It would be nice if someone from 10C joined the the topic ...
    mcgruff10 said:

I think if you get rid of ga you get rid of a lot of headaches. Bring back seating and have rows 1-5 be totally random. Or have one show based on seniority and another show all random.
    I ve been in the 10c since 96 and I ve never seen tickets go so quickly. I can't believe the competition even for the small markets!

Well GA is here to stay how about if you win for the 1st leg your not eligible for the 2nd leg thats when there is two legs to a tour , just throwing it out there ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

It would be nice if someone from 10C joined the the topic ...

mcgruff10 said:

Well GA is here to stay how about if you win for the 1st leg your not eligible for the 2nd leg thats when there is two legs to a tour , just throwing it out there ...
    Yeah but two legs are usually on opposite sides of the country. I don't see how that would be effective.
    And who s to say ga is staying? This band has switched their ticketing policy many times over the years.
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    nicknyr15 said:

rgambs said:

MG79478 said:

I've been against the lottery since day 1, glad others are finally catching up. All the best things in life should be earned. The fans who stayed at the keyboard hitting F5 for hours should be rewarded with tickets. For the record, I actually got tickets to every show I wanted via the lottery... and it feels dirty. But I sleep at night because I know I would have gotten them in the old system, because I was NEVER shut out.

The solution is easy, go back to the good old days, bring seniority in to the mix and get rid of GA. Since tickets can't be earned by F5 effort, they should be earned by seniority. Sign up for a new account all you want, but the number will be so bad you won't get tickets to the best shows. If two members were married and have legitimate memberships, they won't be effected. Plus long time fans will be rewarded for their loyalty.

That would be a good way to tank a tour... Anybody who thinks they want to look at the same faces every night is crazy.
    Especially when u have elitist members turning their backs during the "hits".
    I've been in the fanclub for a really long time and have seen 20+ shows. I've NEVER seen or heard of fan "turning their back" during a hit. Run to the washroom sure. Turn their backs? You're kidding me right? Since this new lottery system has come into play I haven't noticed any difference in crowd reaction or participation. People rocked out in their chairs as much as any show I've seen since they introduced GA. What I've seen to be a big difference is the amount of people getting shut out from seeing a show. Many of which are people trying to see their favorite band in their hometown.
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options

nicknyr15 said:

rgambs said:

MG79478 said:

I've been against the lottery since day 1, glad others are finally catching up. All the best things in life should be earned. The fans who stayed at the keyboard hitting F5 for hours should be rewarded with tickets. For the record, I actually got tickets to every show I wanted via the lottery... and it feels dirty. But I sleep at night because I know I would have gotten them in the old system, because I was NEVER shut out.

The solution is easy, go back to the good old days, bring seniority in to the mix and get rid of GA. Since tickets can't be earned by F5 effort, they should be earned by seniority. Sign up for a new account all you want, but the number will be so bad you won't get tickets to the best shows. If two members were married and have legitimate memberships, they won't be effected. Plus long time fans will be rewarded for their loyalty.

That would be a good way to tank a tour... Anybody who thinks they want to look at the same faces every night is crazy.
    I've been in the fanclub for a really long time and have seen 20+ shows. I've NEVER seen or heard of fan "turning their back" during a hit. Run to the washroom sure. Turn their backs? You're kidding me right? Since this new lottery system has come into play I haven't noticed any difference in crowd reaction or participation. People rocked out in their chairs as much as any show I've seen since they introduced GA. What I've seen to be a big difference is the amount of people getting shut out from seeing a show. Many of which are people trying to see their favorite band in their hometown.

this is a rumor that won't die based on one jerk.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    I raised this exact concern as soon as they started devaluing seniority. At this point, seniority counts for very, very little. By doing that, they opened the door to not only multiple accounts but also scalpers willing to sell their tickets at the venue the day of show. There are solutions, but based on the membership reminders and changes in ticketing, I think they prefer it this way. It's cool that they are attracting new fans, but I wish seniority hadn't been kicked completely to the back burner.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I've also been going to shows since the early 90's and I love the change to GA. Just my opinion of course. I don't see them ever changing because it brings in lots of revenue for newer people realizing they have a chance at good seats. Without the potential for good seats, new memberships would slow way down. Good for long time members, but bad for revenues. I also like the idea of new people getting a chance to see the band and this is coming from a guy who first got his membership in the mid 90's. Reality is, if you want tickets, take less of a risk and choose a less popular market. MSG and PA aren't the only places to see the band.
  • Options

nicknyr15 said:

rgambs said:

MG79478 said:

Couldn't agree more. There s been no more or less energy since ga was reintroduced in 2013.
  • Options

I raised this exact concern as soon as they started devaluing seniority. At this point, seniority counts for very, very little. By doing that, they opened the door to not only multiple accounts but also scalpers willing to sell their tickets at the venue the day of show. There are solutions, but based on the membership reminders and changes in ticketing, I think they prefer it this way. It's cool that they are attracting new fans, but I wish seniority hadn't been kicked completely to the back burner.

Agreed ..
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

nicknyr15 said:

rgambs said:

MG79478 said:

Couldn't agree more. There s been no more or less energy since ga was reintroduced in 2013.
    This ^^^^^^^^^ i thought with GA people would be all jumping in unison chanting like they do in SA OR EUROPE , not to be the fans act the same way as they did when we had reserved seating ...
  • Options

100% agree
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612

I guess I'm lucky because I did well in the lottery and I'd be upset too if I was shut out. But I think a lot of the people most upset are so because they were shut out of major markets and likely listed GA's with their top picks. You have every right to be upset about not getting anything but you need to be realistic about it as well. If you went with a very risky path and didnt prepare yourself to be disappointed then that's something you have to deal with. The lottery system is fair - the club knows what they're doing. People just are unrealistic and are lashing out looking for a scapegoat is what I think is happening on this board.

I have been vocal on this topic And I did very well in the lottery. No sour grapes, just perceiving a lot of potential situations where people are taking advantage of a system that can be improved
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

100% agree
    but it's "fair." ok.
  • Options
    But how did they devalue seniority or kick it to the back burner? They did not! It still comes into play to determine where your seats are located. Just like before.
This discussion has been closed.