Options

Discussion: The Lottery has turned Tickets Into "Trade Bait"

Comments

• Options
    Let's be really honest here....this has turned into an epic fiasco. the site doesnt work well, the seniority piece has become mostly a joke, the GA pit is too big and the lottery logistics are a mess. i am happy as hell for any new fan who gets to see what we have loved for years. but this system and technology is utterly flawed and does not serve the members in their best interest. in order to be exclusive you have to exclude and this doesnt do that anymore.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    How exactly has seniority become a joke? I don't get it. The lower your number, the better your seats. It always has been like that. Oldest members still get the best seats in the house. With a seat behind your butt seats.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    mcgruff10 said:

I think if you get rid of ga you get rid of a lot of headaches. Bring back seating and have rows 1-5 be totally random. Or have one show based on seniority and another show all random.
    I ve been in the 10c since 96 and I ve never seen tickets go so quickly. I can't believe the competition even for the small markets!

But there are MORE tickets for us with GA. Nothing beats more tickets.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,599
    I agree that seniority has been devalued. I joined in '95. My first chance to use 10C tickets was in '98. You sent in the postcard and if they had enough for your number you got tickets. No f5 and no lottery. You could also only buy 10C tickets to one show. I was 2nd row on the shows I went to in '98 and '00. When they let people buy as many shows as they wanted I went back to around the 10th row. Now with GA I'm on the side.

I'm still happy with the seats I get (when I win) but seniority has been greatly devalued over the years.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options

How exactly has seniority become a joke? I don't get it. The lower your number, the better your seats. It always has been like that. Oldest members still get the best seats in the house. With a seat behind your butt seats.

ga vs reserved is not seniority driven.
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064

Devils advocate on the selling of a pair. Two seperate 10C members want to go to a show together. They both put in for reserved to try and make sure they get a pair. They both win and now have 4 tickets when they only need 2. So they trade or sell for face value one of the pairs on the boards here, kepping 1 complete pair so they can sit together for the show. My point is don't automatically assume when a pair is up for trade or sale that it was someone bucking the system.

This. As long as no one is selling 10C tickets for above price, I'm good. This is also why many people say you can always get into a show if you don't have a ticket.

A ticketless system wouldn't work because people that get two pairs would simply say you are my guest for show A (where I have a ticket) and I will be your guest for show B (where you have a ticket).

The only thing that would kind of work is either U2 who only allows 1 show per membership (let that sink in) or Bruce who says F it and doesn't do a fan club sale.

Nope, I like the current system even if it isn't perfect.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options

I did not say that. The only thing that has changed is that there are no seated rows in front of the stage and everybody who has been to numerous shows in the last 20 years and always got into those rows is now assigned a seat on the side. It's not like you cannot enjoy the show from there, nobody else will get these seats, they are still the best seats in the house.
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,551
    There will never be a ticketing system (for any band) that people won't find:
    -a way around the direct intent of the system
    -a process that pleases everyone

When we look at a group as large as us, there is never be a perfect way.

That being said, I have 425xxx and am very happy with the lottery process.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649

No, Dimi, he is talking about people who sign up their kids, dogs, or spouses who are no fans. You could say that these are people with multiple accounts because several members of a household have a membership.

what stops that action in the previous system??
    the one can be cheated and this one not?
    its the same now as was before with people have several acounts
    Dimi. It's not the same for one reason. GA. Being able to sign up Jan 1 for a membership and on Jan 26 you have GA to MSG is something that could have never happened before. There was not much attraction to joining 10 years ago because of seats and seniority. Now a membership # if 500k is as valuable as my 93k number. With the ability to go for the best seats in the house no matter what makes people sign up and ultimately their friends/wives etc for memberships because there is no fear of "crappy" seats.
  • Options

>How exactly has seniority become a joke? I don't get it. The lower your number, the better your seats. I
    I did not say that. The only thing that has changed is that there are no seated rows in front of the stage and everybody who has been to numerous shows in the last 20 years and always got into those rows is now assigned a seat on the side. It's not like you cannot enjoy the show from there, nobody else will get these seats, they are still the best seats in the house.

looks like you did.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    edited January 2016
    Just fantasizing here because I don't think they will consider changing the system, but:

1. Make reserved seats available by seniority, so members 1-99,000 get first dibs, then the next 100k, etc. Run this sale first. Maybe limit members to 3 shows.

2. Keep GA by lottery.

Each member can still only get 2 tickets but can try for GA if they miss out on (or don't want) seats. That would bring back the value of seniority but also allow new members to be close while taking some of the lottery/priority selection pressure off.

Flame on.

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    I guess I don't get what you mean. there is still seniority. For the reserved seats. Just because you cannot get to your beloved front rows like you did so many times in the past does not mean seniority is out of the window per se. You still get the closest seated seats in the house. And you still can be in front of the stage if you win GA tickets or have a ticket buddy who shares with you. You were not guaranteed tickets in the old times either, or were you?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,925

I guess I don't get what you mean. there is still seniority. For the reserved seats. Just because you cannot get to your beloved front rows like you did so many times in the past does not mean seniority is out of the window per se. You still get the closest seated seats in the house. And you still can be in front of the stage if you win GA tickets or have a ticket buddy who shares with you. You were not guaranteed tickets in the old times either, or were you?

No one got beloved front seats each time since the first two rows were random from '05 on. But you do now have the same freakimg people begging for ga and on the rail for every show. Imagine the shit people would get ten years ago if they posted: ISO of 10c tickets but you have to guarantee me the first ten rows. To me ga made way too many people greedy.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    It honestly really surprises me that high seniority members believing they should have better chances to get tickets. Your seats if you get reserved will be absolutely better than anything in the building other than having GA's. And if you decide to go for reserved than GA you have an even better chance of getting them. If that's not enough then I don't know what to say to make you happy lol. The whole thing is done properly
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990

Just fantasizing here because I don't think they will consider changing the system, but:

1. Make reserved seats available by seniority, so members 1-99,000 get first dibs, then the next 100k, etc. Run this sale first. Maybe limit members to 3 shows.

2. Keep GA by lottery.

Each member can still only get 2 tickets but can try for GA if they miss out on (or don't want) seats. That would bring back the value of seniority but also allow new members to be close while taking some of the lottery/priority selection pressure off.

Flame on.

Terrible. Seniority has never mattered for the chance to obtain tickets. Only in seat location.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552

Obviously seniority still matters in where your reserved seats are. That said, I used to love the anticipation of where my seats were going to be for a show. There used to be seat tracker websites where people would put in what seats they got and their fan club number so we could estimate where our seats would be for future shows. The thrill is gone though. Not saying that having GA isn't better, but at some point who cares if you are ten rows up in the first section close to the stage or ten rows up on the second section? That is why seniority doesn't matter. Seniority used to matter because you could get within 20 rows on the floor and have a killer view and be part of the energy. GA has replaced that and I prefer GA, but GA also replaced the true value of seniority benefits.
  • Options
    CopperTom said:

2. Keep GA by lottery.

Flame on.

Terrible. Seniority has never mattered for the chance to obtain tickets. Only in seat location.
    Not true.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    ComeToTX said:

CopperTom said:

2. Keep GA by lottery.

Flame on.

Not true.
    Really? When did my seniority give me a better chance at tickets? If it did that was never said.
  • Options

Obviously seniority still matters in where your reserved seats are. That said, I used to love the anticipation of where my seats were going to be for a show. There used to be seat tracker websites where people would put in what seats they got and their fan club number so we could estimate where our seats would be for future shows. The thrill is gone though. Not saying that having GA isn't better, but at some point who cares if you are ten rows up in the first section close to the stage or ten rows up on the second section? That is why seniority doesn't matter. Seniority used to matter because you could get within 20 rows on the floor and have a killer view and be part of the energy. GA has replaced that and I prefer GA, but GA also replaced the true value of seniority benefits.
    Thank you for that explanation. I have the "thrill" with reserved tickets still. And I am a 460 number. I don't understand how it is gone for you older guys. You still get kickass seats and don't know beforehand where you will be.
    I also love GA. I think it is awesome to mix your locations up, especially if you go to several shows a tour. I have been anywhere from second to last row behind the stage to GA 3 people back. And all the time once the lights went out I had a fab time. I am in it for the music, not my seat location.

• Options
    Like I said above. In the late 90's you sent in a postcard and they were distributed by number. If you're number was too high for that show you didn't get tickets. Doubt that happened much because you could only buy one show.

I do think they should have a 3 show max per tour.
  • Options
    Thank you also for that info. I think there are way more people in the fanclub now. The postcard system would not work. And damn, emails etc are so much more convenient too ;) The times, they are a-changing. We gotta roll with it.
  • Options

Thank you also for that info. I think there are way more people in the fanclub now. The postcard system would not work. And damn, emails etc are so much more convenient too ;) The times, they are a-changing. We gotta roll with it.

yes, and they can also continue to change their ticket policy when they realize that this go around didn't work.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,925
    ComeToTX said:

Like I said above. In the late 90's you sent in a postcard and they were distributed by number. If you're number was too high for that show you didn't get tickets. Doubt that happened much because you could only buy one show.

I do think they should have a 3 show max per tour.

3 show max for the first round. If there s any left over tickets then have a second lottery or just have the f5 option again.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I think there might be some much needed changes, but I do not think GA will go.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892

I think there might be some much needed changes, but I do not think GA will go.

I'm all for keeping GA.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    I'm sure they will keep GA, but the idea of being crunched by a group of intoxicated frat boys a foot taller than me ain't really a draw anymore. I liked the full seated area.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I have never seen intoxicated frat boys in GA. Maybe some people are tipsy, but GA in America is very tame and civilized compared to other countries. In 2012 we were in Berlin for two nights, and soaked from sweat and absolutely exhausted after being about 8 people back in night 1, so we went farther back in night 2. People are more portly built and older in the US than in Europe, or at least that is my experience. And that creates a much calmer atmosphere in the pit.
  • Options

I have never seen intoxicated frat boys in GA. Maybe some people are tipsy, but GA in America is very tame and civilized compared to other countries. In 2012 we were in Berlin for two nights, and soaked from sweat and absolutely exhausted after being about 8 people back in night 1, so we went farther back in night 2. People are more portly built and older in the US than in Europe, or at least that is my experience. And that creates a much calmer atmosphere in the pit.

Since we're all talking about luck, maybe you got lucky. the no GA seats were a blessing for the non fratty crowd, or women who didn't want to deal with all that nonsense for yet another tour.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Get used to it. This is pearl jam 2016, and I hate to say it, but it's a much different animal than pearl jam 1996. No amount of debating, begging, or crying is going to change it. Just like everything else, old timers, if you don't embrace it and jump on the train, you're going to be left behind. I recommend learning from this and deciding if it's something you want to be a part of or not, because no amount of bitching is going to bring back the old days.

When you're left behind, you usually drink whiskey, blink a lot, and yell stuff like "get off my lawn!"
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552

Thank you for that explanation. I have the "thrill" with reserved tickets still. And I am a 460 number. I don't understand how it is gone for you older guys. You still get kickass seats and don't know beforehand where you will be.
    I also love GA. I think it is awesome to mix your locations up, especially if you go to several shows a tour. I have been anywhere from second to last row behind the stage to GA 3 people back. And all the time once the lights went out I had a fab time. I am in it for the music, not my seat location.

First we need to recognize the band rewarded seniority from the beginning and still does. They value it so fans who value the benefits of their seniority aren't selfish or not in it for the music.

I'm sure fans from all eras have different opinions, but your perception with a 460 may be completely different from a member with a 150xxx number and below. Your reserved seats likely haven't changed very much from pre-lottery seats. Someone with a 84xxx number has had their seats change significantly. They still have great seats but if you were on the floor for every show within 5-10 rows you may not be super stoked to be on the sides of the venue.
This discussion has been closed.