Options

Discussion: The Lottery has turned Tickets Into "Trade Bait"

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,468
    There were plenty of tricks and shortcuts to getting tickets during the online sale days. You just had to be paying attention to figure it out. For example... The ten club was using consecutive SKUs for shows and once you figured that out you could bypass a lot of Internet traffic to get right to the sale page.

The lottery is much better and fairer to people that have to work all day. I never failed to get tickets under the old system but I still think the lottery is an improvement. I get there is potential for abuse but it's better than the old system.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,835
    I don't see a problem with this at all. Who cares if fans are trading to get into shows that both parties want? As long as these tickets stay in the hands of members than what's the big deal? Sign up the whole family! Do whatever you can to increase your odds. When you see GA on stubhub fir thousands of dollars, THATS a problem.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

I don't see a problem with this at all. Who cares if fans are trading to get into shows that both parties want? As long as these tickets stay in the hands of members than what's the big deal? Sign up the whole family! Do whatever you can to increase your odds. When you see GA on stubhub fir thousands of dollars, THATS a problem.

The problem is that multiple memberships allow someone to see many shows while the guy who just wants one can be shut out.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Because if you sign up the whole family, I guarantee they're not all fans. They've just paid membership dues to get ticket access. That's sort of a problem, I feel.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    on2legs said:

There were plenty of tricks and shortcuts to getting tickets during the online sale days. You just had to be paying attention to figure it out. For example... The ten club was using consecutive SKUs for shows and once you figured that out you could bypass a lot of Internet traffic to get right to the sale page.

The lottery is much better and fairer to people that have to work all day. I never failed to get tickets under the old system but I still think the lottery is an improvement. I get there is potential for abuse but it's better than the old system.

I agree... but there is a lot of room for improvement. nickNYR15 has proved it quite well above as does your response. The system isn't really equitable right now.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

I would say this falls into the "morality" stratosphere ... it's sort of cheating but not ... technically, this is all above board and everyone can do it ... and those who are doing it will rationalize it however they want ... but the reality is that - if the objective is to get tickets to true fans as fair as possible - this system does not necessarily accomplish that ...

My wife and I are both members and we both scored tickets to the same show so yes, I'm one of the people the OP is complaining about. However, my wife is a huge fan and so am I. So Why shouldn't we both be members? Should we be penalized for being married fans? We both travel together to shows happily. I guess if u have a case where the significant other doesn't know one song from PJ than you have a point, but then we're just splitting hairs. It's impossible to measure fandom through a membership. I think these types of discussions only come out of people who lost out. I understand, it SUCKS loosing but that's life.
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    It's a big problem in the jamband scene (especially with phish tickets on cashortrade.org). Since you have to pick them up in person here, that definitely helps, but it's still very annoying to see.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

polaris_x said:

I would say this falls into the "morality" stratosphere ... it's sort of cheating but not ... technically, this is all above board and everyone can do it ... and those who are doing it will rationalize it however they want ... but the reality is that - if the objective is to get tickets to true fans as fair as possible - this system does not necessarily accomplish that ...

My wife and I are both members and we both scored tickets to the same show so yes, I'm one of the people the OP is complaining about. However, my wife is a huge fan and so am I. So Why shouldn't we both be members? Should we be penalized for being married fans? We both travel together to shows happily. I guess if u have a case where the significant other doesn't know one song from PJ than you have a point, but then we're just splitting hairs. It's impossible to measure fandom through a membership. I think these types of discussions only come out of people who lost out. I understand, it SUCKS loosing but that's life.
    No, but when you're having even more family members that aren't fans buy memberships to increase your ticket odds, that's a problem.

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    nicknyr15 said:

polaris_x said:

I am just like you Nick - don't sweat it.
  • Options
    so the ten club has been reduced to nothing more than a chance for tickets in cases like this. call it for what it is.
  • Options

nicknyr15 said:

polaris_x said:

No, but when you're having even more family members that aren't fans buy memberships to increase your ticket odds, that's a problem.

This is true but almost impossible to stop.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

I agree... but there is a lot of room for improvement. nickNYR15 has proved it quite well above as does your response. The system isn't really equitable right now.
    I agree there could be an improvement. Just not sure what the solution would be without penalizing people with legitimate spouse/brother/kid memberships.

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:

polaris_x said:

You both should be able to go for tickets IMO.

However, me for example. My wife goes to shows... likes PJ, is a casual fan... but doesnt know names to many songs and such. Goes to get out of the house and spend time with me moreso. So with this system, what is stopping me from signing her up and entering all the GA drawings I can, along with Reserved for me? Plus, I have 2 other 10c friends locally who are in similar situations, so between 3 couples, we can increase our chances to 6x including many bullets in the GA chamber.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

I agree there could be an improvement. Just not sure what the solution would be without penalizing people with legitimate spouse/brother/kid memberships.
    Like I have said: Making it so new members cant specifically target GA tickets takes away 80% of the motivation for this.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

As with everything in life, it will always be impossible to make everyone happy. I have 2 accounts. My wife and I. Both huge , traveling fans. I would never think about signing up my dog or uncle. But I also can't worry about the people who do it, Win or loose. I hope everyone who lost gets what they want in Friday. Maybe that'll help with all these threads complaining about getting shut out.
  • Options
    I think what OP's concern is - more so than people registering family members that may or may not be true fans - is that when that happens what happens is now we have plenty of people offering to trade pairs of tickets. That would only happen if you have 2 pairs to the same show. So now any person who is looking to buy a ticket or two because they were shut out in the lottery is in an even dicier situation because those who have tickets may not be willing to sell outright - but only trade so they can benefit from it. Go look in lost dogs and see how many threads are for trades and how many you find that say selling.
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    I've been against the lottery since day 1, glad others are finally catching up. All the best things in life should be earned. The fans who stayed at the keyboard hitting F5 for hours should be rewarded with tickets. For the record, I actually got tickets to every show I wanted via the lottery... and it feels dirty. But I sleep at night because I know I would have gotten them in the old system, because I was NEVER shut out.

The solution is easy, go back to the good old days, bring seniority in to the mix and get rid of GA. Since tickets can't be earned by F5 effort, they should be earned by seniority. Sign up for a new account all you want, but the number will be so bad you won't get tickets to the best shows. If two members were married and have legitimate memberships, they won't be effected. Plus long time fans will be rewarded for their loyalty.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

As with everything in life, it will always be impossible to make everyone happy. I have 2 accounts. My wife and I. Both huge , traveling fans. I would never think about signing up my dog or uncle. But I also can't worry about the people who do it, Win or loose. I hope everyone who lost gets what they want in Friday. Maybe that'll help with all these threads complaining about getting shut out.
    for the record, I did very well this round.

• Options

so the ten club has been reduced to nothing more than a chance for tickets in cases like this. call it for what it is.

It's always been about the tickets. And always will be. Like every other fan club. People sell presale codes and do all types of terrible stuff.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited January 2016

Devils advocate on the selling of a pair. Two seperate 10C members want to go to a show together. They both put in for reserved to try and make sure they get a pair. They both win and now have 4 tickets when they only need 2. So they trade or sell for face value one of the pairs on the boards here, kepping 1 complete pair so they can sit together for the show. My point is don't automatically assume when a pair is up for trade or sale that it was someone bucking the system.

This^. Obviously it increases your chance to score tickets in this lottery system as we know it today. The whole trading for another show is gaming the system more than getting extras and selling them for face value to people that got shut out. If there are no rules preventing people from doing it, then why would you not increase your odds by enrolling your spouse in the tenclub. My wife has become a bigger fan after going to 9 shows with me and signed up for the club about 2 years ago. We did not both go into the lottery for the Cincinnati show 2014 because we didn't plan to need any trades for other shows. But we both entered this lottery for better odds at getting tickets for the only show we will be attending in Lexington, especially considering that it seems harder every year to score tickets with the lottery while the band tours less venues.
    But I would have to agree that if you didn't plan to go to other shows and got shut out of the 1-2 shows you wanted, then it will be much harder to obtain tickets without trade bait. There are cool people here that will sell extras at face value, so keep your eyes open. :peace:
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    MG79478 said:

I've been against the lottery since day 1, glad others are finally catching up. All the best things in life should be earned. The fans who stayed at the keyboard hitting F5 for hours should be rewarded with tickets. For the record, I actually got tickets to every show I wanted via the lottery... and it feels dirty. But I sleep at night because I know I would have gotten them in the old system, because I was NEVER shut out.

The solution is easy, go back to the good old days, bring seniority in to the mix and get rid of GA. Since tickets can't be earned by F5 effort, they should be earned by seniority. Sign up for a new account all you want, but the number will be so bad you won't get tickets to the best shows. If two members were married and have legitimate memberships, they won't be effected. Plus long time fans will be rewarded for their loyalty.

That would be a good way to tank a tour... Anybody who thinks they want to look at the same faces every night is crazy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    what a silly comment. I have a pair to trade because me and my friend both got the second night of msg. We shouldn't try to trade a pair for the first night/ has nothing to do with multiple people in one house trying as many options as possible.
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

It's always been about the tickets. And always will be. Like every other fan club. People sell presale codes and do all types of terrible stuff.
    that's what I'm getting at, and getting grief for suggesting that the fan club is about more than tickets. I think we're agreeing.
  • Options

what a silly comment. I have a pair to trade because me and my friend both got the second night of msg. We shouldn't try to trade a pair for the first night/ has nothing to do with multiple people in one house trying as many options as possible.

Of course you should. Others seem to demonize it.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

MG79478 said:

That would be a good way to tank a tour... Anybody who thinks they want to look at the same faces every night is crazy.
    Especially when u have elitist members turning their backs during the "hits".
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

nicknyr15 said:

polaris_x said:

You both should be able to go for tickets IMO.

However, me for example. My wife goes to shows... likes PJ, is a casual fan... but doesnt know names to many songs and such. Goes to get out of the house and spend time with me moreso. So with this system, what is stopping me from signing her up and entering all the GA drawings I can, along with Reserved for me? Plus, I have 2 other 10c friends locally who are in similar situations, so between 3 couples, we can increase our chances to 6x including many bullets in the GA chamber.
    I think you just described the majority of people who go to see Pearl Jam. Not everyone is a diehard waiting to hear Of The Earth. So I don't think there's a problem as long as all of you actually go to the shows.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

Like I have said: Making it so new members cant specifically target GA tickets takes away 80% of the motivation for this.
    Possibly but that would shift the focus to reserved seats and penalize those fans.

• Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    edited January 2016
    edit: i should read the thread first.. the idea of limiting availability of GA was already brought up
    Post edited by DPrival78 on
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    on2legs said:

MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

Possibly but that would shift the focus to reserved seats and penalize those fans.
    I believe a lot of people who would 'game the system' would also thumb their nose at the idea of being 'inconvenienced' with 10c tickets in the 550xxx-600xxx range and would rather try to beg and borrow to get closer or GA.

Maybe Im wrong?
  • Options

nicknyr15 said:

that's what I'm getting at, and getting grief for suggesting that the fan club is about more than tickets. I think we're agreeing.
    To me this all comes down to the shady practices of the secondary market. Springsteen has no fanclub tickets and its next to impossible to get tickets to even one show. People get super stressed when they lose the lottery because they know how it works in ticketmaster. They know tickets will be on stubhub seconds later at a gigantic mark up. They know instead of 169-190 a pair they will now have to pay close to a thousand JUST TO GET IN THE BUILDING. A lot of these threads are deeply rooted in that IMO.
This discussion has been closed.