Options

Discussion: The Lottery has turned Tickets Into "Trade Bait"

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

so the ten club has been reduced to nothing more than a chance for tickets in cases like this. call it for what it is.

It's always been about the tickets. And always will be. Like every other fan club. People sell presale codes and do all types of terrible stuff.
    that's what I'm getting at, and getting grief for suggesting that the fan club is about more than tickets. I think we're agreeing.
    To me this all comes down to the shady practices of the secondary market. Springsteen has no fanclub tickets and its next to impossible to get tickets to even one show. People get super stressed when they lose the lottery because they know how it works in ticketmaster. They know tickets will be on stubhub seconds later at a gigantic mark up. They know instead of 169-190 a pair they will now have to pay close to a thousand JUST TO GET IN THE BUILDING. A lot of these threads are deeply rooted in that IMO.
    it's a factor, yes. It's not the only contributing factor.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    "we" are commodity driven, just about everything is a commodity that goes to the highest bidder
  • Options

Devils advocate on the selling of a pair. Two seperate 10C members want to go to a show together. They both put in for reserved to try and make sure they get a pair. They both win and now have 4 tickets when they only need 2. So they trade or sell for face value one of the pairs on the boards here, kepping 1 complete pair so they can sit together for the show. My point is don't automatically assume when a pair is up for trade or sale that it was someone bucking the system.

^ THIS!!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,466
    MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

MayDay10 said:

on2legs said:

There were plenty of tricks and shortcuts to getting tickets during the online sale days. You just had to be paying attention to figure it out. For example... The ten club was using consecutive SKUs for shows and once you figured that out you could bypass a lot of Internet traffic to get right to the sale page.

The lottery is much better and fairer to people that have to work all day. I never failed to get tickets under the old system but I still think the lottery is an improvement. I get there is potential for abuse but it's better than the old system.

I agree... but there is a lot of room for improvement. nickNYR15 has proved it quite well above as does your response. The system isn't really equitable right now.
    I agree there could be an improvement. Just not sure what the solution would be without penalizing people with legitimate spouse/brother/kid memberships.
    Like I have said: Making it so new members cant specifically target GA tickets takes away 80% of the motivation for this.
    Possibly but that would shift the focus to reserved seats and penalize those fans.
    I believe a lot of people who would 'game the system' would also thumb their nose at the idea of being 'inconvenienced' with 10c tickets in the 550xxx-600xxx range and would rather try to beg and borrow to get closer or GA.

Maybe Im wrong?
    I think you're on the right track.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    shep said:

A single ticket option in the lottery would help this, for people who attend many shows alone like myself. If I can only win a pair, why wouldn't I try to trade it for a single in another city?

I'm not commenting on "singles" you see for sale or trade...

I'm talking exclusively about "pairs" that people are offering.... for the most part it is because people wound up with 2 pairs to the same show based on multiple memberships in the same household.
    Interesting. This makes sense because i was confused when people were posting that they got both MSG1 and MSG2, when each member was limited to one of those shows. I am sure some of the posts were due to groups of friends, but some of them must have been the memberships you described. I had never thought to do that either.
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    NYCPJ said:

shep said:

A single ticket option in the lottery would help this, for people who attend many shows alone like myself. If I can only win a pair, why wouldn't I try to trade it for a single in another city?

I'm talking exclusively about "pairs" that people are offering.... for the most part it is because people wound up with 2 pairs to the same show based on multiple memberships in the same household.
    Interesting. This makes sense because i was confused when people were posting that they got both MSG1 and MSG2, when each member was limited to one of those shows. I am sure some of the posts were due to groups of friends, but some of them must have been the memberships you described. I had never thought to do that either.
    My buddy and I have been going to shows together since 1998. We always share our extra ticket with each other. We've probably seen close to 30 shows together this way.

I'm not sure how you can weed out the legitimate memberships from the people who are exploiting a loophole. Maybe limit memberships to two per household?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited January 2016
    on2legs said:

NYCPJ said:

shep said:

My buddy and I have been going to shows together since 1998. We always share our extra ticket with each other. We've probably seen close to 30 shows together this way.

I'm not sure how you can weed out the legitimate memberships from the people who are exploiting a loophole. Maybe limit memberships to two per household?
    I had assumed that a good number of those who posted were sharing tickets with friends. I just hadn't thought about the "phantom" members because it wouldnt cross my mind to do that. There are always going to be loopholes; overall, i think the system is pretty fair. Not sure if there is anything that can be done.

on2legs - by the way, you have been to some killer shows, but how did you miss Philly3 in 2009?!
    Post edited by NYCPJ on
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    NYCPJ said:

on2legs said:

NYCPJ said:

shep said:

I had assumed that a good number of those who posted were sharing tickets with friends. I just hadn't thought about the "phantom" members because it wouldnt cross my mind to do that. There are always going to be loopholes; overall, i think the system is pretty fair. Not sure if there is anything that can be done.

on2legs - by the way, you have been to some killer shows, but how did you miss Philly3 in 2009?!
    I had to work and couldn't get out of it. :frowning:

Don't rub it in... It still hurts to this day :smiley:

• Options
    the_don said:

It's actually pretty easy to limit to one membership per household. Tons of sites and other bands do this and solve the problem.

Usually, its the opposite. U2 will let you buy 10 fan club memberships at $50.00 a pop. They also limit the amount of presale tickets you can obtain to 4 per membership to encourage people to buy multiple memberships, thus further lining their pockets with cash. The same can be said for almost all pop acts like Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, etc.

I think the PJ system provides some room for people to trade tickets, but its nothing like the Phish set up. Its way way better. In my eyes, if husband and wife both won tickets to the same show and offered the extra pair to a 10c member at face value, whats the problem?
    Gorge
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Been saying this for years. It's crap.
    First tour since the No Code tour that I will not be attending.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    I think the lottery system is terrible (of course, I should add that in the three lotteries I've been part of I've "lost" each one.)

To fix it I would like them to allow 1 pair per tour leg. Drives me crazy seeing a single member getting lottery tickets to 4 shows while most of us can't even get a pair for our local show.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I had to work and couldn't get out of it. :frowning:

Don't rub it in... It still hurts to this day :smiley:

I couldnt stay for Philly4 because i needed to take my daughter trick-or-treating!
    Post edited by NYCPJ on
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,899
    NYCPJ said:

I couldnt stay for Philly4 because i needed to take my daughter trick-or-treating!

You did the right thing!!!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

NYCPJ said:

You did the right thing!!!
    Yep - no regrets on either end (glad i saw Philly3 and glad i made it home the next day!)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

The fact that you even mention deleting duplicate households is absurd.

That and it's also really easy to put a different address. Put your parents address down on 1 account if you have to, etc.
    You'd still have to drive you mom, dad, brother, sister, grandmother to the venue and they'd have to pick them up. If people are gonna go through that trouble, so be it.
    and i've seen it with my own eyes happen at shows.
    Awkward!
    nicknyr15 said:

rgambs said:

MG79478 said:

I've been against the lottery since day 1, glad others are finally catching up. All the best things in life should be earned. The fans who stayed at the keyboard hitting F5 for hours should be rewarded with tickets. For the record, I actually got tickets to every show I wanted via the lottery... and it feels dirty. But I sleep at night because I know I would have gotten them in the old system, because I was NEVER shut out.

The solution is easy, go back to the good old days, bring seniority in to the mix and get rid of GA. Since tickets can't be earned by F5 effort, they should be earned by seniority. Sign up for a new account all you want, but the number will be so bad you won't get tickets to the best shows. If two members were married and have legitimate memberships, they won't be effected. Plus long time fans will be rewarded for their loyalty.

That would be a good way to tank a tour... Anybody who thinks they want to look at the same faces every night is crazy.
    Especially when u have elitist members turning their backs during the "hits".
    I forgot about that. F'in joke.

Been saying this for years. It's crap.
    First tour since the No Code tour that I will not be attending.

We might be able to find you some tix. Where do you want to go?

I am newer to the 10c so I don't think anyone wants to read my opinion.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    I’ll use the same analogy I did last time this issue came up with the lottery.

Imagine you’re relaxing at home one day and out of the blue your brother or sister calls. They say that their daughter is a HUGE One Direction fan and there’s this big nationwide tour going on and tickets are really hard to come by. They want to take her to a few shows, but they don’t think they’ll be able to find any reasonably priced tickets. There’s a loop hole though, they can sign you up for the fan club and enter you in the drawing to get tickets. It’s really easy and all you have to do is spend $20 for membership. They’ll even sign you up with your info and pay for it. There’s a catch though, you have to BE THERE to pick up the tickets.

Are you willing to drive across town or a few hours to get these tickets? Are you willing to stand in line with a bunch of screaming pre-pubescent girls to pick them up? How about flying someplace out of state? What if they wanted to go so desperately bad that they said they would pay for your plane ticket and hotel room if you wanted to make a vacation out of it?

Does any of that sound logical? Does any of that sound practical to ask of your spouse, HS or college age kid, or Mom? HELL NO!!!! So why do you think other normal people are “conspiring” for this fan club?

If someone’s wife or older children want to go and deal with the hassle of picking up tickets then more power to them. Chances are they are doing nothing more than entering for one or two shows, and they probably aren’t going out of their way to get them. At most in my mind, it frees up someone who signs up their spouse or kid to try for an out of town show, and have a backup for their local market show.

It’s also clear that it is no longer a ticket “free for all” like it was with F5. People used to get ONE guaranteed ticket and that was it. Then you could buy as many as you could possibly land in your cart, and people got accustomed to the idea that getting 3, or 5, or 8 shows was normal. It isn’t.

If you really wanna see half the damn tour then you need to NETWORK. Find ticket buddies on the forum or FB. Develop a group of friends that you can pool tickets with to shows. Call these people up before the tour and ask what their plans are. If you both REALLY want to see the same shows, then put in for opposite days of a 2 night stand, etc. Then you have tickets to trade and see another show.

It sucks that there aren't a lot of people actually SELLING because of this and they want trades, but I think it's also indicative of how greedy some people have become with this. How many assholes are posting on FB or here the minute the lottery is over with "Need GA pair for Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, and Jacksonville!" Oh please, get real! They won't realistically pull that off and it's drowning out the people that want to do just one show they couldn't get. Limit your expectations and maybe you'll find what you want.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    I see no problem wth members trading tix. I think it's a good option to have. The only reason I can think of to stop it would be so that more individuals get to see just one show. And i have the impression that 10C and he band would be happy to see more fans getting one show. So perhaps 10C should simply make it so that each member can only win one pair per tour.
    I also have no problem with each individual adult having a membership. I don't think it should matter the the are in the same household. They each pay their dues, and that's it.
    I do notnexpectnq0C to give a shit about whether or not people can travel, blah blah. If a person lives in a high demand city, that's life. It would be unreasonable to expect the band to do anything about that beyond done their best to have 2 or 3 shows in the highest demand cities. But if their schedule doesn't accommodate, that's life. There is always TM and scalpers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    So if you sign your 8 year old kid up, how is he/she gonna pick up the tickets ??
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,839
    So let me get this straight:

1-People are signing up family members and friends for more chances at GA. These said family members/friends have no interest in Pearl Jam.

2-People who live in...let's say...California....are putting in multiple requests for GA in New York to increase their chances.

3-These people win extra sets because of good luck and multiple memberships.

4-Then they trade off the extras to get tickets for the shows they didn't win.

5-THEN, this person flies his grandmother and 5 year old niece(who have no interest in Pearl Jam) from California to New York, puts them up in a hotel at $250/night so he can bring them to MSG to pick up the tickets so he can complete his trade.

Yeah, I can totally see this happening on a massive scale.
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    What I would like to see them do is change it so that there is a "Day 1 Lottery" where everyone is
    an all but absolute lock to get 1 show, and then basically "reset" and let the rest of the tickets get picked.

Going into it, you'll have to know that if you want NYC for example, you are putting yourself at higher risk for not getting one. Just because you make it your One ticket choice, doesn't mean that 10,000 people won't enter for 2,500 tickets. Same goes for GA. Choose wisely.

If someone doesn't get a Rd 1 ticket, then give them x2 odds for their first choice on the rest of the lottery.

Then you announce results and let everyone change their priority if necessary for Rd. 2 which will run a few days later. Republish the odds, maybe even have a % of tickets left" status, and run it again. Rd. 1 shutouts get a favorable advantage, but everyone else is on equal footing for the rest of the tickets. Your priority order dictates your odds the same way it does now.

Someone will always bitch "But I live in NYC and I still didn't get a ticket!" but you can't make everyone happy. At least they would have a greater chance.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    MayDay10 said:

I have been yelling about this "loophole" since this system began. More people seem to be exploiting it and also noticing it.

Everywhere you look now, you see: "I got XXXX, my wife/brother/buddy/dog/parakeet got XXXX!" And/Or "Got extra pair for XXXX, looking for XXXX"

It is a pretty large hole in the system and I think it would be mended a great deal by A: one pool for each show and GA is drawn after the fact and we find out when we pick up tickets. and B: Ticketless entry. You put in for tickets, you better intend on using them. Spouses, etc with numbers in the 6xxxxx range will have a good chance to use those tickets and cant just jump straight to going for GA tickets, while the longstanding member goes for all the Reserved.
    The 6XXXXX member still has as good of a chance for GA as anybody.

Me and mayday have hammered this loophole before. Not many people supported us.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649

That and it's also really easy to put a different address. Put your parents address down on 1 account if you have to, etc.
    You'd still have to drive you mom, dad, brother, sister, grandmother to the venue and they'd have to pick them up. If people are gonna go through that trouble, so be it.
    It's much easier than this.
    Two couples are going to go to the Toronto show. Hang out together. Jim and Joe have memberships. Their numbers are great. Always used their tickets. New system has created a different environment. Jim signs up Judy his date. She goes for GA. Joe signs up Jill. She goes for GA.
    Double the chances. Double the demand.
  • Options
    stickman said:

So if you sign your 8 year old kid up, how is he/she gonna pick up the tickets ??

they go down to the venue with you, then head home with someone else. which I've actually seen happen.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    People also use merch or vinyl as trade bait. It is the same discussion over and over again. There is too little there and too many people who want it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But there is also a nice sense of community in here, and I have seen people behaving very generously numerous times. And even if it sucks when one loses out (I have so myself more than enough), this is a wonderful thing to behold. I hope people realise soon enough that all is not lost, and the angry waves will smoothen out. I always find it funny how suddenly people emerge who never take part in anything on here once they get shut out of the lottery. Maybe things would not look so bad if you were actually participating a bit more. Or not, to each their own. It is what it is. If you wanna be in, find your way through it.
  • Options
    jdopj said:

Two couples are going to go to the Toronto show. Hang out together. Jim and Joe have memberships. Their numbers are great. Always used their tickets. New system has created a different environment. Jim signs up Judy his date. She goes for GA. Joe signs up Jill. She goes for GA.
    jdopj said:

right, so it's even easier to game the system. Gaming the system implies a lot less fairness than what is being touted here
  • Options
    edited January 2016

stickman said:

they go down to the venue with you, then head home with someone else. which I've actually seen happen.
    There is an age limit. I think it's 13 or something like that. No 8 year old is picking up tix and then going home.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    jdopj said:

so set it so members with a 10c number of, say, 350xxx and lower get first crack at GA. if there are GA tix available after all the members below that threshold are chosen, then open up those remaining tix to everyone.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

stickman said:

There is an age limit. I think it's 13 or something like that. No 8 year old is picking up tix and then going home.
    so you have someone 13 or older do the same thing. point doesn't change.

Learned my lesson though, next tour, gotta buy 7 memberships for myself and others, and tell everyone how fair this is supposed to be. right.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

PJ_Soul said:

stickman said:

Learned my lesson though, next tour, gotta buy 7 memberships for myself and others, and tell everyone how fair this is supposed to be. right.
    You can also have some someone who's 40 years old do the same thing. I don't see your point. once a kid is a teenager they need their own access to concerts. If they have a membership so they can give tix to someone else so what? Adults can do that too, and do. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it, and has absolutely nothing to do with how long they have been members.
    10C does keep an eye out for people doing what you suggest btw, but there is only so much they can control. If someone has 7 friends with different addresses who are all willing to go to the show or go and pick up their tix and give them to you, then oh well. They ARE paying the membership fees as well. It's still a free country and there is no way around that so why bitch about it?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

PJ_Soul said:

stickman said:

Fair is where you go to get cotton candy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
This discussion has been closed.