Options

10 Club Lottery Losers / Whiners Thread

Comments

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

What I find more frustrating than anything is that some people think they deserve tix more than others.

Exactly!
    I see the same logic applied once people get their seats and start comparing membership numbers. And those are for folks with tickets.

Again, why am I paying? Tickets vs. no tickets seems a whole lot different from 5 row vs. 20th row.

sorry, I don't get it. *shrug*
    Then don't stay in the ten club. Problem solved.
    That's kind of what I was suggesting I would do.
  • Options
    AlaG said:

Yet you brought up how long you've been a member.

right, and I've mentioned that I'm reconsidering that. I'm not alone in suggesting this on the forums, and I don't appreciate being targeted for it.
    $20/year!!!
    Again, I don't appreciate being targeted. Thanks.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Someone needs to post that Michael Jackson-eating popcorn meme again. Or is it a GIF?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Tickets are already on stubhub
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

Here's a complaint:

If I had a dollar for every time subpoprockcity has asked "Why am I paying?" today, I'd have one of the tickets I won in the lottery paid for.

I think it's a fair question, and it doesn't attack another member in the forums.
    A question only you can answer.
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886

AlaG said:

Here's a complaint:

If I had a dollar for every time subpoprockcity has asked "Why am I paying?" today, I'd have one of the tickets I won in the lottery paid for.

I think it's a fair question, and it doesn't attack another member in the forums.
    $20/year? Get over yourself.
    This was really unnecessary.
    I'm just trying to point out how unnecessary it is to complain about paying such an insignificant amount of money for a CHANCE to win tickets to see your favorite band play. That's one less trip to the movies/year or two less burritos or three less pairs of underwear. Geez. It's not some huge sacrifice to complain about. You're willing to shell out $170 to see them...
  • Options

Here's a complaint:

right, it's a rhetorical question.
  • Options

Here's a complaint:

Right, and we all saw it the first time.
  • Options

Here's a complaint:

And you're welcome to ignore it.
  • Options
    AlaG said:

AlaG said:

Here's a complaint:

$20/year? Get over yourself.
    This was really unnecessary.
    I'm just trying to point out how unnecessary it is to complain about paying such an insignificant amount of money for a CHANCE to win tickets to see your favorite band play. That's one less trip to the movies/year or two less burritos or three less pairs of underwear. Geez. It's not some huge sacrifice to complain about. You're willing to shell out $170 to see them...
    as I mentioned previously, it's less about the money than the other issues brought up by myself and others.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,614
    edited January 2016

I'm going to be frank, I am a little irritated that 17 continuous years in the fan club means no ticket.

16 years for me. Have never once gotten a ticket through the new lottery system - tried for Wrigley, London (ON) and Buffalo in 2013. Nothing. Tried this time around for Toronto and Ottawa. Nothing. Other people put in for Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec City and got all 3, somehow I put in for Toronto and Ottawa and got neither? Been going to shows since 1996 and now I can't get tickets to anything?
    precisely my point. like I said, people in here will fawn all over the lottery system until they get their seats and then you watch how many of the same people quote membership numbers. I'll put money on it.

In previous years, some venues were ten club from the floor to the 200 section. Made it less of a risk ticket-wise, not so much now. There is a measurable difference, and not one for the better.
    I love people saying "well, you shouldn't have tried for GA then." Well, what's the point of having GA? If I'm a diehard fan who would love to sit in GA, I have to decide between taking apparently a 10% or so chance on getting GA seats with the other option being getting nothing? What kind of stupid choice is that to put to your fans?
    That is the one big problem with the 10C system. They should absolutely not be forcing people to make 2 choices for one show like they do. They should have a GA OPTION. Once everyone has won undefined tix - just one selection per show - the secondary lottery to decide who wins GA tix should happen. Way fewer people would get shut out just because they prioritized GA in their picks.
    This seems like a really simple and obvious alternative that is WAY more fair to everyone. I can't even imagine what 10C's reason for not doing the could be. They are perfectly aware that fans would prefer it, and it's really no harder on their end. Go figure!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited January 2016

MK88178 said:

I'm going to be frank, I am a little irritated that 17 continuous years in the fan club means no ticket.

16 years for me. Have never once gotten a ticket through the new lottery system - tried for Wrigley, London (ON) and Buffalo in 2013. Nothing. Tried this time around for Toronto and Ottawa. Nothing. Other people put in for Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec City and got all 3, somehow I put in for Toronto and Ottawa and got neither? Been going to shows since 1996 and now I can't get tickets to anything?
    precisely my point. like I said, people in here will fawn all over the lottery system until they get their seats and then you watch how many of the same people quote membership numbers. I'll put money on it.

In previous years, some venues were ten club from the floor to the 200 section. Made it less of a risk ticket-wise, not so much now. There is a measurable difference, and not one for the better.
    I love people saying "well, you shouldn't have tried for GA then." Well, what's the point of having GA? If I'm a diehard fan who would love to sit in GA, I have to decide between taking apparently a 10% or so chance on getting GA seats with the other option being getting nothing? What kind of stupid choice is that to put to your fans?
    No one doubts that youre not a die hard. We all are that's why we are on this site.
    There are 2 choices
    1. GA with very little shot of getting it
    2. Reserved with a much higher percentage of getting tickets

Now you may get neither but your odds are higher reserved. Where you sit in the venue doesn't determine how big of a fan you are.

If you try for the high risk option don't be angry when you don't get it. Go through ticketmaster and get into the building or ask around on the site. Just get yourself into the building.
    I will be in the building somehow - someone on 10C has already offered to sell me an extra pair they have.

But the question is that if putting GA down means you have almost no chance of getting into the show, why would anyone put GA? The people who will put GA will be the people who don't care whether they get to go to that show or not, which seems pretty dumb to me.
    No, they are just the people more willing to take a bigger risk to get what they want most. Nothing wrong with that. I imagine most of them also understand that you can still get sweet seats at a PJ show if you don't get them from 10C. The same cannot be said of GA tix. So I think it's actually pretty smart to just enter for GA. If you win, awesome. You get tix that the public can't get at all.... If you lose, no prob, because you can still get seats anyhow. Works out great either way. Again, not making people enter twice for one show wouod be ideal. But since that's not the case, going for GA isn't the worst idea IMO (all assuming you enjoy GA of course).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Here's a complaint:

Trying.
  • Options

Here's a complaint:

Trying.
    Thanks. As I said earlier, I prefer not to be targeted by another member and I'd ask that you respect that.
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 506
    PJ_Soul said:

That is the one big problem with the 10C system. They should absolutely not be forcing people to make 2 choices for one show like they do. They should have a GA OPTION. Once everyone has won undefined tix - just one selection per show - the secondary lottery to decide who wins GA tix should happen. Way fewer people would get shut out just because they prioritized GA in their picks.
    This seems like a really simple and obvious alternative that is WAY more fair to everyone. I can't even imagine what 10C's reason for not doing the could be. They are perfectly aware that fans would prefer it, and it's really no harder on their end. Go figure!
    This seems like the first easy logical step towards a better solution. Don't force people to choose between GA and reserved for the same show. Just pick the shows you want, run the lotto for said show and then run it again to split between GA and reserved. When you select a show you could even select if you are ok with GA or not. Or worse case scenario if you really want seats but get picked for GA you will probably have no problem trading down to the first people you ask in the front row of the reserved section.
  • Options
    ajflickerajflicker Canada Posts: 166
    I used to be a PJ member years and remember a

StevieG said:

At the very least it should be weighted based on your seniority. They can stick the lottery up their asses!!

why should I pay every year when I can sign up just before the tickets go on sale? this is stupid.
    Thats so true...i signed up two weeks ago after a 5 year absense from the 10C and won Ottawa seats. I can see why long time members get p×ssed off.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    ajflicker said:

StevieG said:

At the very least it should be weighted based on your seniority. They can stick the lottery up their asses!!

why should I pay every year when I can sign up just before the tickets go on sale? this is stupid.
    Thats so true...i signed up two weeks ago after a 5 year absense from the 10C and won Ottawa seats. I can see why long time members get p×ssed off.
    But now the long time members will be down in good seats and you'll be way back and/or up in not very good seats. If you really don't care where you sit just go with Ticketmaster and get your tix before the day of the show, no hassles at will call.
  • Options
    bootleg said:

PJ_Soul said:

This seems like the first easy logical step towards a better solution. Don't force people to choose between GA and reserved for the same show. Just pick the shows you want, run the lotto for said show and then run it again to split between GA and reserved. When you select a show you could even select if you are ok with GA or not. Or worse case scenario if you really want seats but get picked for GA you will probably have no problem trading down to the first people you ask in the front row of the reserved section.
    agreed, this would work much better.
  • Options
    ajflickerajflicker Canada Posts: 166

To add insult to injury for who ever was complaining about being a member for years, someone posted on facebook they joined only a few days ago and got tickets to MSG.

I joined 2 weeks ago and got Ottawa seats.
  • Options
    tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512
    PJ_Soul said:

No, that idea does nothing to make the drawings "way more fair." How much more fair can you get than what we have now? Everyone who signs up can choose as many or as few shows as they like, and we're even told what the estimated odds of getting each section of each show are, and we're allowed to adjust our choices as many times as we like before the drawing! "Fair" does not equal "everyone gets what they want." Fair means that we all have the same opportunity, which we all absolutely did. You're forgetting that lots of fans have no interest in GA floor seats, so why make those folks compete for tickets against those who do want GA? We all had that choice.

The 10club sees that GA seats are considered by many (but not all) to be a premium seat, and they treat them as such.

To say that "way fewer" people would get shut out because of prioritizing GA is incorrect. If anything, your idea could make GA even harder to get, because those that signed up wanting GA tickets would then be competing against all lottery participants for those limited GA spots, and not just against those who prioritized for GA like it is now.

It's a choice that we all were able to make... Take the risk and prioritize for GA? Or attempt to play it a little safer and prioritize for reserved. It just depends on what is important to each member. But to say that it was unfair in any way, is just incorrect.

Disclaimer... I've never won a GA seat, 18xxxx.
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

ajflicker said:

StevieG said:

But now the long time members will be down in good seats and you'll be way back and/or up in not very good seats. If you really don't care where you sit just go with Ticketmaster and get your tix before the day of the show, no hassles at will call.
    "No hassles at will call!" Ridiculous thing to say! Correction: Poster will be in the building; many long time members will not be. In most cases, 10C tix (regardless of member #) will be better than those obtained through Ticketmaster. Many "long time members" who didn't fare so well in today's lottery will find this out first hand on Friday.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Just got notification...I'm on the 1 and done list! Wah wah
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253

Poncier said:

fugawzi said:

To the topic at hand, I won and lost. My first 4 options were GA for the FL shows, first 4 shows of the tour. My 5-8 were reserved seats for the same shows. I hit GA for the first 2 shows and reserved for shows 3 and 4. So I get to go to each show I put in for with 10c tix, just not GA for night 3 and 4.

As far as 10C numbers go, it does seem that the value of a lower number has gone down and has been "watered down" so to speak. Since the lotto for rows 1, 2, 9 & 10 and then the addition of GA pit, people with lower numbers don't always have as much priority in terms of being closest to the stage.

I joined in 2000, and I like what the changes have done. I think overall it's much more fair to everyone and gives everyone a chance to really get close to the band if that's what they want (I do).

I don't recall a lower number ever giving anyone higher priority in terms of ticket availability, just higher priority for seat location. It does suck though if you've been a member for 18 years with no interruption and you got shut out today. On the flip side, if that's you then you've probably also been to some awesome shows and were really fucking close. Let some of the newbies have their fun and keep looking on here there will be trades and people with extras.

The way it worked before was:
    -we have X number of tickets for Y venue
    -assign tickets to X number of fan club members by membership number
    -lower numbers, you might not get into that X bracket.

And somewhere along the way, they changed that.
    Having been a member of the 10 club since it cost 5 bucks and there were no ticket privileges, I can tell you that you are...
    Wrong.
    Completely wrong.
    Seniority has never aided in obtaining tickets, only in seat location.

Seems you may be mixing up memories the old "block system" of distribution with actual ticket purchasing.
    In 2000 and 2003 tickets were distributed in blocks, so the folks with the highest seniority would be in the first block usually rows 1-5, the tickets were distributed at the window first come first serve out of the respective block. It was changed after that to pre-assigned seats waiting for you in an envelope allocated based on seniority.

ASs for purchases, seniority has never been a factor. In the 90's and up to 2004, you mailed in an order form for your tickets. Back then I don't think anyone was shut out of tickets because there were fewer members and there were no restrictions by Ticketmaster/Livenation on the allotment 10club would get, so they could fill all fan club orders. Starting in 2005 the sales of tickets took place on the website (the good old F% days), you purchased thickets at a designated time through the Pearl jam website and the seat location would be assigned at the venue by seniority.

10 club has never guaranteed anyone a ticket, only the "opportunity" and has never used seniority to determine who was allowed to purchase tickets.
    In recent years as word got out that PJ sold the best seats in the house to its fan club members, membership has risen steadily. This is what has brought about the current lottery, demand now far outweighs supply (especially because the band is only able to get a small percentage of the house now from Ticketmaster/Livenation, approximately 10%).

Seniority was used for seating location for 2 reasons, rewarding long time loyal fans and deterring scalpers from signing up just before a tour.

Also, it's never been some sort of deep secret that the band has the best seats for the fan club members. It's been this way since the vitalogy days. The idea that there would be some sort of rush of people, now of all times, is laughable.
    You're misinterpreting what I said. I didn't say there's a rush now, I said "in recent years" the fan club numbers have swelled as word got around about ticket benefits.

As I stated, in 2003 for example, nobody was shut out of 10club tickets because the tour was longer, 10 club was able to obtain a larger allotment of tickets from Ticketmaster (if you were a member then you may remember the MSG 2 show that year had something like 8,000 Ten Clubbers get tickets from the club, can't happen now) and membership was significantly less. If you don't think membership has increased steadily and significantly in the past decade, just look at all the posts the past few days from folks here with less than 10 lifetime posts, and all the folks saying "first time trying for 10 club tickets" and similar. Membership is definitely continually increasing. And available tickets has unfortunately decreased, supply and demand have made it basically impossible for 10 club to supply every member with fan club tickets. This was not the case 10+ years ago, its a new reality and we all have to adjust. Believe me I'm not thrilled with the new system compared to the old, but its a necessary evil now.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Poncier said:

fugawzi said:

To the topic at hand, I won and lost. My first 4 options were GA for the FL shows, first 4 shows of the tour. My 5-8 were reserved seats for the same shows. I hit GA for the first 2 shows and reserved for shows 3 and 4. So I get to go to each show I put in for with 10c tix, just not GA for night 3 and 4.

As far as 10C numbers go, it does seem that the value of a lower number has gone down and has been "watered down" so to speak. Since the lotto for rows 1, 2, 9 & 10 and then the addition of GA pit, people with lower numbers don't always have as much priority in terms of being closest to the stage.

I joined in 2000, and I like what the changes have done. I think overall it's much more fair to everyone and gives everyone a chance to really get close to the band if that's what they want (I do).

I don't recall a lower number ever giving anyone higher priority in terms of ticket availability, just higher priority for seat location. It does suck though if you've been a member for 18 years with no interruption and you got shut out today. On the flip side, if that's you then you've probably also been to some awesome shows and were really fucking close. Let some of the newbies have their fun and keep looking on here there will be trades and people with extras.

The way it worked before was:
    -we have X number of tickets for Y venue
    -assign tickets to X number of fan club members by membership number
    -lower numbers, you might not get into that X bracket.

And somewhere along the way, they changed that.
    Having been a member of the 10 club since it cost 5 bucks and there were no ticket privileges, I can tell you that you are...
    Wrong.
    Completely wrong.
    Seniority has never aided in obtaining tickets, only in seat location.

Seems you may be mixing up memories the old "block system" of distribution with actual ticket purchasing.
    In 2000 and 2003 tickets were distributed in blocks, so the folks with the highest seniority would be in the first block usually rows 1-5, the tickets were distributed at the window first come first serve out of the respective block. It was changed after that to pre-assigned seats waiting for you in an envelope allocated based on seniority.

ASs for purchases, seniority has never been a factor. In the 90's and up to 2004, you mailed in an order form for your tickets. Back then I don't think anyone was shut out of tickets because there were fewer members and there were no restrictions by Ticketmaster/Livenation on the allotment 10club would get, so they could fill all fan club orders. Starting in 2005 the sales of tickets took place on the website (the good old F% days), you purchased thickets at a designated time through the Pearl jam website and the seat location would be assigned at the venue by seniority.

10 club has never guaranteed anyone a ticket, only the "opportunity" and has never used seniority to determine who was allowed to purchase tickets.
    In recent years as word got out that PJ sold the best seats in the house to its fan club members, membership has risen steadily. This is what has brought about the current lottery, demand now far outweighs supply (especially because the band is only able to get a small percentage of the house now from Ticketmaster/Livenation, approximately 10%).

Seniority was used for seating location for 2 reasons, rewarding long time loyal fans and deterring scalpers from signing up just before a tour.

Also, it's never been some sort of deep secret that the band has the best seats for the fan club members. It's been this way since the vitalogy days. The idea that there would be some sort of rush of people, now of all times, is laughable.
    You're misinterpreting what I said. I didn't say there's a rush now, I said "in recent years" the fan club numbers have swelled as word got around about ticket benefits.

As I stated, in 2003 for example, nobody was shut out of 10club tickets because the tour was longer, 10 club was able to obtain a larger allotment of tickets from Ticketmaster (if you were a member then you may remember the MSG 2 show that year had something like 8,000 Ten Clubbers get tickets from the club, can't happen now) and membership was significantly less. If you don't think membership has increased steadily and significantly in the past decade, just look at all the posts the past few days from folks here with less than 10 lifetime posts, and all the folks saying "first time trying for 10 club tickets" and similar. Membership is definitely continually increasing. And available tickets has unfortunately decreased, supply and demand have made it basically impossible for 10 club to supply every member with fan club tickets. This was not the case 10+ years ago, its a new reality and we all have to adjust. Believe me I'm not thrilled with the new system compared to the old, but its a necessary evil now.
    Right, I get what you're saying, but in previous tours the amount of ten club tickets in venues such as MSG and even the ACC was considerably larger. As in, the pit, the 100 blocks and some of the 200 blocks. That's a big shift from what's happening now, and indicates to me that they do in fact have the ability to to choose the numbers set aside for fan club members, and have limited that number for whatever reason. That's a shift in decision making, and perhaps not a great one.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

ajflicker said:

StevieG said:

"No hassles at will call!" Ridiculous thing to say! Correction: Poster will be in the building; many long time members will not be. In most cases, 10C tix (regardless of member #) will be better than those obtained through Ticketmaster. Many "long time members" who didn't fare so well in today's lottery will find this out first hand on Friday.
    I hope you're right, though I am skeptical of the TM tickets.
  • Options
    No, Livenation has put a 10% cap on what they allow band fan clubs to get. Its not Pearl Jam or 10 club capping available 10c tickets, its the monopoly that is Ticketmaster/Livenation.
    10 club's hand are tied with this and it has helped to create the issue we have now with many members being shut out in high demand cities.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    stolls589 said:

The 10 club needs to change their system, it's not fair to be shut out of shows when other won 5-9 shows.

I'm not going to defend the lottery system but like most things in life it's about the choices you make.

If you want a better opportunity to see a show or more then one show then choose the show or shows with the highest percentage of availability and be willing to travel. And yes I'm fully aware that some are unable to travel. I get it. But putting in for the most popular shows in the most populated cities on the tour lowers your chances.

I for one would never try for NYC, Philly, or Toronto. Im much more interested in seeing multiple shows then I am in saying I saw a particular show in those 3 cities.

I do feel for those that got nothing this time around but in the big picture there are things in life way more important than tickets for a concert. I know the 10club does what they can buy they're restricted by allotments. Just keep trying.
  • Options

stolls589 said:

The 10 club needs to change their system, it's not fair to be shut out of shows when other won 5-9 shows.

I'm not going to defend the lottery system but like most things in life it's about the choices you make.

If you want a better opportunity to see a show or more then one show then choose the show or shows with the highest percentage of availability and be willing to travel. And yes I'm fully aware that some are unable to travel. I get it. But putting in for the most popular shows in the most populated cities on the tour lowers your chances.

I for one would never try for NYC, Philly, or Toronto. Im much more interested in seeing multiple shows then I am in saying I saw a particular show in those 3 cities.

But there are plenty of folks who live in NYC, Philly and Toronto who got shut out. People just trying to see 1 show at their local venue are denied, so there's no great solution.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    one tweak that maybe could help is instead of letting someone get 1 out 2 for both Philly and NYC maybe it should be you can only get 1 out of the 4 total. kind of sucks if someone gets both NY and Philly shows and closer hometown people get shut out. short of playing way more dates in those cities though (which is virtually impossible in the spring) there is going to be a much larger demand than supply.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    BS44325 said:

Tickets are already on stubhub

And they're probably expensive. A ticket isn't needed until April, the prices will go down. Even with cancellations for travel being somewhat easy, there's plenty of time for a price drop. Not saying you're going stub hub route, just throwing info out for everyone.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015