Options

10 Club Lottery Losers / Whiners Thread

Comments

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

What I find more frustrating than anything is that some people think they deserve tix more than others.

Exactly!
    I see the same logic applied once people get their seats and start comparing membership numbers. And those are for folks with tickets.

Again, why am I paying? Tickets vs. no tickets seems a whole lot different from 5 row vs. 20th row.

sorry, I don't get it. *shrug*
  • Options

StevieG said:

At the very least it should be weighted based on your seniority. They can stick the lottery up their asses!!

Why should they shut out young fans for older people not giving a shit they got GA for the 20th time?
    it's not young vs. old fans. when you join the fan club has no bearing on how long you've been a fan. Some of the biggest fans I know never bothered, and we're talking decades.

additionally, the idea that older fan club members always get GA tickets isn't really the case, particularly as they've changed up the first few rows policy and what not.
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 506
    I can't remember all the details of when each ticketing system changed but at least since 98, seniority did not get you better access to tickets just better tickets amongst all of those who got tickets. Although I do like the idea of seniority giving you a better chance in the lottery.

In 98 you got a paper order form that included every concert date and you got to select 1 show to get tickets to. I'm pretty sure everyone that requested tickets got them because 1. There weren't nearly as many members, and 2. You could only pick one show. I believe the 2000 tour used something similar, only one pair of tix to one show. Again I think everyone got tix that requested them and this year were the best seats I ever had (5th row).

2003 I think is when they opened it up to where you could go to unlimited shows. The full tour schedule was released ahead of time and you had to submit money orders by snail mail for each show that you wanted to go to. Even though they let you go to multiple shows, I still think everyone got the tickets that requested them as I requested like 6 shows and got them all. I think the move to multiple shows really increased the number of fan club members at each show as all of my tix were further back then my first show in 98. i think this is where they did ticket "blocks" as well, so if you were member number 0-100000 you were in block 1 and in the first 3 rows, 100000-200000 might be in rows 3-10, etc. Those with the highest seniority really benefited here as they got first 3 rows every show and many took advantage.

2006 I believe was somewhat similar although I think they moved to online requests. You could still go to multiple shows and I still think most got tickets that wanted them. I think this is also where they introduced a lottery aspect to seniority as rows 1-2, and rows 11-12 were randomly drawn amongst all members at each show. This was a way to mix up the faces in the front so it wasn't the same people with front row every show.

Shortly after that is when things started to get more complicated. Ticketmaster started putting stricter limits to the number of tickets fan clubs could set aside for their members. Now they no longer can secure enough tix for all those requesting which brought on the dreaded F5. You could still go to multiple shows if you could get them but it was miserable. You could spend all day trying to get tix to come up with nothing.

To try to alleviate that frustration they've now moved to the lottery which has its own new set of pain points. Full disclosure I didn't even try for tix this time but did win lotto tix in the past-even Wrigley GA. What doesn't seem to make sense is how someone can come out of the lotto with 4 sets of tix to high demand shows while someone else can come up with nothing with the same or similar priority settings. For example how could someone get GA tix to Ft Lauderdale and Miami with a 1-2 priority over someone who picked Miami 1 and FLL 2 and got neither? By nature of the drawing if any one got GA tix with a priority of 2, shouldn't that then mean that everyone who requested that same show with priority 1 also got tickets? If not then they are doing it wrong.

Also I think it would be nice to see some type of weighting based on seniority. Maybe for every 5 years you've been a member you get an extra priority 1 pick. Still wouldn't guarantee tix but would give a little better chance. Let's not forget that there are scalpers that join fan clubs just to get access to high demand tickets. It doesn't sit well that they have the same chance at getting tickets as someone who's been in the club for 20 years. Of course they could help this scenario too as other bands have implemented different ways to prevent this be it credit card entry etc...
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    edited January 2016
    1st choice 05/02/2016 New York, NY- GA Standing $188.00
    LOST
    2nd choice 05/01/2016 New York, NY- GA Standing $188.00
    LOST
    3rd choice 05/02/2016 New York, NY- Reserved Seating $188.00
    LOST
    4th choice 05/01/2016 New York, NY- Reserved Seating $188.00
    LOST
    5th choice 04/29/2016 Philadelphia, PA- GA Standing $172.00
    LOST
    6th choice 04/28/2016 Philadelphia, PA- GA Standing $172.00
    LOST
    7th choice 04/29/2016 Philadelphia, PA- Reserved Seating $172.00
    LOST
    8th choice 04/28/2016 Philadelphia, PA- Reserved Seating $172.00
    LOST
    gonna whine for a second, since this is the losers club...i'm really starting to think i should have used reserved seating as my first choice. even with my 507xxx, at least i would have been in the building. entered first thing on tuesday and never changed it. *sigh* appreciate the opportunity for a chance to win, but i am really not looking forward to friday. i wanna go to both philly and msg shows. gonna be fun... :grimacing:
    Post edited by nothinasitseems on
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 512
    edited January 2016
    The real problem is that everyone goes after GA tickets because they are the presumed best seats. There is probably 500 pairs of tickets to that section give or take. The odds of getting those are slim to none. If you chose reserved your odds are much higher. So when you strike out because you go for the highest demand shows with the highest section, just don't be shocked. Using a 2nd or 3rd choice for ga you will most likely strike out unless you are the group that in the Midwest that had the rail every show in 14. That still dumb founds me. Now for the bright side you still have a shot to get tickets. I didn't have tickets for either philly show in 2013. Two weeks after they went on sale I bought tickets for behind the stage for both nights. They were amazing. See you all Friday. Philly 2 I'm coming for you
    Post edited by MK88178 on
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,473

The trick is to not care there are way more important issues in my life then if i win tickets to a PJ show i've seen them 40 times been a paying member since 1993 , i put in for the local shows that i can drive to or commute to Both MSG & PHILLY 2nd night only got nada but to be honest it doesn't even register on my emotional radar i just don't care about this band like i used to in the height of my fathom back in 92 thru 2000 i could care less i'm not even attempting TM or STUBHUB .........

I've been a member just as long.... And I feel physically ill
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    MK88178 said:

The real problem is that everyone goes after GA tickets because they are the presumed best seats. There is probably 500 pairs of tickets to that section give or take. The odds of getting those are slim to none. If you chose reserved your odds are much higher. So when you strike out because you go for the highest demand shows with the highest section, just don't be shocked. Using a 2nd or 3rd choice for ga you will most likely strike out unless you are the group that in the Midwest that had the rail every show in 14. That still dumb founds me. Now for the bright side you still have a shot to get tickets. I didn't have tickets for either philly show in 2013. Two weeks after they went on sale I bought tickets for behind the stage for both nights. They were amazing. See you all Friday. Philly 2 I'm coming for you

yeah, definitely should have re-thought my strategy. now that i have a better understanding for how it works. and that part i bolded gives me hope. good luck!
  • Options

LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    gonna whine for a second, since this is the losers club...i'm really starting to think i should have used reserved seating as my first choice. even with my 507xxx, at least i would have been in the building. entered first thing on tuesday and never changed it. *sigh* appreciate the opportunity for a chance to win, but i am really not looking forward to friday. i wanna go to both philly and msg shows. gonna be fun... :grimacing:

I tell you what. I'm trying to get tickets for the philly2 show. If I can get the via ticketmaster. I'll have an extra ticket for Philly1. So if I get them you can have my extra ticket. I have reserved seats.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    GA tickets are not seats. You stand in the pit. It is lovely, you are close and it almost feels at times like you are at a club show. As a European I was not used to "seated" shows before 2011. We always had a GA floor. I found the seated rows in front of the stage very odd. Even when people "rocked as hard as they could", it still looked stationary somehow. I can understand how this might not always seem like you are doing a rock show, especially with an aging fan base. There was energy there, yes, but the energy of a true GA pit is more lively. I can see why the band prefers that.

I love going to more than one show a tour if possible, and I have been pretty blessed in the past. This time around, it is my first time since the lottery started that I actually got reserved tickets, and I am excited to see where they are. Just out of curiosity. We lost on all our picks in 2014, but we still went to all the shows we wanted to see. Losing out on the tenclub lottery is not the end of the world. It is awesome actually to see how much the fans are helping eachother out.

I hope all of you get to see a show you want to see. Good luck for ticketmaster, it is not undoable! Look around on here, people always have spares! Enjoy life :smiley:

(and for that person who said they don't have a use for the fanclub membership presents - go digital! It's cheaper and you don't get the presents ;) )
  • Options
    MK88178 said:

LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    LOST
    I tell you what. I'm trying to get tickets for the philly2 show. If I can get the via ticketmaster. I'll have an extra ticket for Philly1. So if I get them you can have my extra ticket. I have reserved seats.

and this is why i love these forums. you are awesome! :)
  • Options
    kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 443

I'm going to be frank, I am a little irritated that 17 continuous years in the fan club means no ticket.

16 years for me. Have never once gotten a ticket through the new lottery system - tried for Wrigley, London (ON) and Buffalo in 2013. Nothing. Tried this time around for Toronto and Ottawa. Nothing. Other people put in for Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec City and got all 3, somehow I put in for Toronto and Ottawa and got neither? Been going to shows since 1996 and now I can't get tickets to anything?
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • Options

I'm going to be frank, I am a little irritated that 17 continuous years in the fan club means no ticket.

16 years for me. Have never once gotten a ticket through the new lottery system - tried for Wrigley, London (ON) and Buffalo in 2013. Nothing. Tried this time around for Toronto and Ottawa. Nothing. Other people put in for Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec City and got all 3, somehow I put in for Toronto and Ottawa and got neither? Been going to shows since 1996 and now I can't get tickets to anything?
    precisely my point. like I said, people in here will fawn all over the lottery system until they get their seats and then you watch how many of the same people quote membership numbers. I'll put money on it.

In previous years, some venues were ten club from the floor to the 200 section. Made it less of a risk ticket-wise, not so much now. There is a measurable difference, and not one for the better.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    seniority only comes into play if you win the lottery.
  • Options
    foodboy said:

seniority only comes into play if you win the lottery.

what I said in the post above, was that I guarantee you will see the same people who love the lottery system balk at the idea that anything other than their seniority determines ticket location. And when it happens, as it has every time, those same people who loved the lottery will come on here and ask about why their seniority didn't give them seats. And frankly, I find that a lot more appalling than the idea of complaining about tickets vs. no tickets. because.... it's.... still a ticket.
  • Options

precisely my point. like I said, people in here will fawn all over the lottery system until they get their seats and then you watch how many of the same people quote membership numbers. I'll put money on it.

In previous years, some venues were ten club from the floor to the 200 section. Made it less of a risk ticket-wise, not so much now. There is a measurable difference, and not one for the better.
    I love people saying "well, you shouldn't have tried for GA then." Well, what's the point of having GA? If I'm a diehard fan who would love to sit in GA, I have to decide between taking apparently a 10% or so chance on getting GA seats with the other option being getting nothing? What kind of stupid choice is that to put to your fans?
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • Options

I love people saying "well, you shouldn't have tried for GA then." Well, what's the point of having GA? If I'm a diehard fan who would love to sit in GA, I have to decide between taking apparently a 10% or so chance on getting GA seats with the other option being getting nothing? What kind of stupid choice is that to put to your fans?
    thank you.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i have been shut out of local shows. it is what it is. this time i got lucky. but even the shows i got shut out on i still got seats and had a great time. like the other person said in 2000 i only got tickets to 1 fan club show. best seats i ever had though 3rd row. then later on got seats on a release in another city. there are ways you just have to be on it.
  • Options
    pj23yankspj23yanks Posts: 262
    You wonder why you didn't get any tickets while others got seven shows? You put in for MSG, Philly and/or Toronto all highly demanded shows while these people probably put in for lesser shows like Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh, Columbia and or Florida shows. You all put in for MSG GA were there are probably 500 pairs available and probably 10,000 requests for those seats. They even posted the odds for you at 6% and you still complain even knowing going in that your odds are slim. People are coming from all over the world to NYC just to see these shows. No one is going to travel from Europe lets say just to visit Greenville! So you put in your first four choices for MSG and next four choices for Philly so by the time your 9th choice is around all the tickets are gone.
    People need to understand your not entitled to anything. Every lottery that you got tickets to but someone else didn't you didn't complain, now all of a sudden you didn't get tickets your complaining. Would you like to go back to the post 2000 tours where you only get one pair to one show? I assure you not. This is not the same band as they were then. They are a more popular band today, play less dates and there fans are much more affluent than they were 15 years ago. Pearl Jam today is known today as "Today's version of the Grateful Dead" in the sense that their fans travel all over to see them. This is what the band is built on. They can’t restrict people to just one show.
    I hate to say it but this system is a lot better than the F5 system, a system that I always got tickets to but wasted a day hitting F5 as opposed to this system that I missed out on tickets.
    The thing that makes me sick is the people who only want GA and nothing else. I’ve offered them 10C reserve tickets and they scoff at me while they cry they can’t get tickets.
    People compare U2's tickets to Pearl Jam. First off why don’t you compare the prices of U2 compared to Pearl Jam tickets. U2 plays venues of 80,000 people while Pearl Jam plays arenas. U2 doesn’t have nearly the same amount of fans traveling all over the world seeing their shows.
    Last but not least people bring up the fact that scalpers are selling fan club tickets. I’ve been to a ton of shows yet have never met one person who ever bought fan club tickets from a scalper. I’m sure it goes on but most of the tickets are going to the fans and not scalpers like some other bands.
    98: East Rutherford
    00: Saratoga Springs
    03: Albany, Uniondale, DC, MSG I & II, Holmdel
    04: Boston I
    05: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Pittsburgh
    06: Toronto I & II, Hartford, Chicago I, Cleveland, Boston I & II, Philly I & II, DC, Milwaukee I, Vegas
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Philly I, DC, MSG I & II
    09: Chicago I & II, LA III & IV, Philly I, II & IV
    10: St. Louis, Columbus, Buffalo, DC, Hartford, Boston
    11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Sao Paulo I & II, Rio, Costa Rica, Mexico City
    12: Berlin I & II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Philly, Pensacola
    13: Chicago, Worcester I & II, Brooklyn II, Philly I & II, Hartford, Baltimore, Charlotte, Phoenix, San Diego, LA II, Oakland, Vancouver
    14: Milan, Trieste, Cincinnati, Austin I, Memphis, St Paul, Denver, Bridge School II
    15: NYC, Bogota, Mexico City
    16: Miami, Tampa, Hampton, NYC I & II, Quebec, Toronto I, Fenway II, Wrigley II
    18: Barcelona, Madrid, Seattle I, Boston I & II
    22: Glendale, Oakland I, Sacramento, Toronto, Quebec, Hamilton, MSG, Camden, Nashville, Denver, Amsterdam I, Zurich, Vienna, Prague
  • Options
    pj23yanks said:

They even posted the odds for you at 6% and you still complain even knowing going in that your odds are slim.

If fans can't travel because of financial or work obligations, I don't see why this is a problem with the fans.
    pj23yanks said:

People need to understand your not entitled to anything. Every lottery that you got tickets to but someone else didn't you didn't complain, now all of a sudden you didn't get tickets your complaining. Would you like to go back to the post 2000 tours where you only get one pair to one show? I assure you not. This is not the same band as they were then. They are a more popular band today, play less dates and there fans are much more affluent than they were 15 years ago. Pearl Jam today is known today as "Today's version of the Grateful Dead" in the sense that their fans travel all over to see them. This is what the band is built on. They can’t restrict people to just one show.

Actually, yeah, I would like that system back, so that if I want more than one ticket to another city's show, I have to go through another provider and then more fans can see things with fan club tickets. If you're saying the alternative isn't fair, how is this more fair?

• Options
    edited January 2016

No one doubts that youre not a die hard. We all are that's why we are on this site.
    There are 2 choices
    1. GA with very little shot of getting it
    2. Reserved with a much higher percentage of getting tickets

Now you may get neither but your odds are higher reserved. Where you sit in the venue doesn't determine how big of a fan you are.

If you try for the high risk option don't be angry when you don't get it. Go through ticketmaster and get into the building or ask around on the site. Just get yourself into the building.
    Post edited by MK88178 on
  • Options
    The 10 club needs to change their system, it's not fair to be shut out of shows when other won 5-9 shows.
  • Options
    MK88178 said:

No one doubts that youre not a die hard. We all are that's why we are on this site.
    There are 2 choices
    1. GA with very little shot of getting it
    2. Reserved with a much higher percentage of getting tickets

Now you may get neither but your odds are higher reserved. Where you sit in the venue doesn't determine how big of a fan you are.

If you try for the high risk option don't be angry when you don't get it. Go through ticketmaster and get into the building or ask around on the site. Just get yourself into the building.
    I will be in the building somehow - someone on 10C has already offered to sell me an extra pair they have.

But the question is that if putting GA down means you have almost no chance of getting into the show, why would anyone put GA? The people who will put GA will be the people who don't care whether they get to go to that show or not, which seems pretty dumb to me.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Here's a complaint:

If I had a dollar for every time subpoprockcity has asked "Why am I paying?" today, I'd have one of the tickets I won in the lottery paid for.
  • Options

Here's a complaint:

If I had a dollar for every time subpoprockcity has asked "Why am I paying?" today, I'd have one of the tickets I won in the lottery paid for.

I think it's a fair question, and it doesn't attack another member in the forums.
  • Options
    Yet you brought up how long you've been a member.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

What I find more frustrating than anything is that some people think they deserve tix more than others.

Exactly!
    I see the same logic applied once people get their seats and start comparing membership numbers. And those are for folks with tickets.

Again, why am I paying? Tickets vs. no tickets seems a whole lot different from 5 row vs. 20th row.

sorry, I don't get it. *shrug*
    Then don't stay in the ten club. Problem solved.
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886

Here's a complaint:

I think it's a fair question, and it doesn't attack another member in the forums.
    $20/year? Get over yourself.
  • Options

right, and I've mentioned that I'm reconsidering that. I'm not alone in suggesting this on the forums, and I don't appreciate being targeted for it.
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886

right, and I've mentioned that I'm reconsidering that. I'm not alone in suggesting this on the forums, and I don't appreciate being targeted for it.
    $20/year!!!
  • Options
    AlaG said:

Here's a complaint:

$20/year? Get over yourself.
    This was really unnecessary.