Options

Hampton Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Busch Gardens was on groupon a few days ago for 50% off tickets... not sure if it's still there but it seemed like a great deal
  • Options
    See you guys there. Still can't believe they're playing this venue.
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 474
    ISO GA ticket for this show if anyone can hook a brother up?
    Looking forward to camping out!
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    2 weeks to the second and hopefully listening to YL close out the BEST SHOW OF THE TOUR.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    AmyDeeAmyDee Alexandria, VA Posts: 24
    I just realized that the reservation I made for the Marriot Courtyard in Hampton is for the 17th, not the 18th, and the 18th is of course sold out now. The Days Inn still has rooms, but reviews are horrible. Anyone here have any experience with The Days Inn in Hampton?
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,679
    edited April 2016
    AmyDee said:

I just realized that the reservation I made for the Marriot Courtyard in Hampton is for the 17th, not the 18th, and the 18th is of course sold out now. The Days Inn still has rooms, but reviews are horrible. Anyone here have any experience with The Days Inn in Hampton?

I wouldnt worry about reviews. Most people that write reviews have a bone to pick. If theres a bed with clean sheets and running water you're good, yeah? That said, have you checked red roof inn at the convention center? I think thats where ten club ticket pickup is. I got a room there for $58 bucks and it's right at the coliseum.
  • Options
    KidcloudkickerKidcloudkicker Posts: 409
    edited April 2016
    Looking for some tips/info from people familiar with the area on where to book a hotel. It looks like there are a number of hotels right at the coliseum, but I can't tell if there is much else around the area for before or after the show other than a few chain restaurants. Is there a better area to stay that's within an uber ride that would have better restaurants or bars?
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    Lifted said:

AmyDee said:

I wouldnt worry about reviews. Most people that write reviews have a bone to pick. If theres a bed with clean sheets and running water you're good, yeah? That said, have you checked red roof inn at the convention center? I think thats where ten club ticket pickup is. I got a room there for $58 bucks and it's right at the coliseum.
    I disagree, I take a lot of road trips and utilize hotels in areas I'm not familiar with... the most important thing to check is the reviews in my opinion... research is your friend, trust me
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    well that is pretty damn cool

The venue is 98% of the reason we are going to this show... It's not some new massive/cavernous sports arena with luxury boxes taking up half the venue... There is no corporate sponsor in the name... I believe it was initially built just for music performances... this is the ideal type of venue to see pearl jam in my opinion

Can't wait
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,720
    my2hands said:

The venue is 98% of the reason we are going to this show... It's not some new massive/cavernous sports arena with luxury boxes taking up half the venue... There is no corporate sponsor in the name... I believe it was initially built just for music performances... this is the ideal type of venue to see pearl jam in my opinion

Can't wait

Going to fucking suck.
  • Options

Looking for some tips/info from people familiar with the area on where to book a hotel. It looks like there are a number of hotels right at the coliseum, but I can't tell if there is much else around the area for before or after the show other than a few chain restaurants. Is there a better area to stay that's within an uber ride that would have better restaurants or bars?

I'm not even sure if Uber goes to Hampton. We just got it in Richmond not too long ago. The problem with Hampton and all of the Tidewater area, is it's five cities that are spread out to make up the metro area. There are restaurants (Hooters, Outback, Chili's, etc.) very close to the arena though. But no, I wouldn't be looking for a cool jazz bar or anything like that after the show. I would recommend getting blasted at the show and calling it a night after a late night meal at the Waffle House. That's my plan.
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 888
    edited April 2016
    I was not planning on going to this show. I had three planned already. Living in Michigan nothing is really close.
    I'm driving all the way to VA for this show, driving all the way back to MI afterwards, just to literally get in my buddy's car to drive to the Carolinas.
    It's so inconvenient to go too this show for me, but I simply could not pass this venue up.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

Can't wait

Going to fucking suck.
    Totally going to suck ass
  • Options

I was not planning on going to this show. I had three planned already. Living in Michigan nothing is really close.
    I'm driving all the way to VA for this show, driving all the way back to MI afterwards, just to literally get in my buddy's car to drive to the Carolinas.
    It's so inconvenient to go too this show for me, but I simply could not pass this venue up.

I admire your dedication! You rolling solo? How long is your drive?
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 888
    my2hands said:

It'll be a good 13hr drive. Was planning on going by myself, but actually just recruited a friend yesterday! He's a pretty big Grateful Dead fan so I kind of sold him with that. We are hitting up a national park the day before, and possibly the Jamestown/Yorktown sites the day of the show.
    Has anyone been there, is it worth it? I'm interested in history so it sounded cool to me..
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    I'm really curious to see what the poster or shirt is going to look like for this concert. Worth standing in-line for them or drink coronas on the beach... Hmmmm. I think coronas and the beach sound better.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    Hopefully I can pick one or both up inside after the concert.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options

There are several hotels within walking distance to the Coliseum and some others that are within a 5-10 minute drive. The closest entertainment to the Coliseum is the Peninsula Town Center which has shopping, restaurants, and a Cinebistro movie theater/bowling alley, also within walking distance on Coliseum Drive. There's a couple restaurants and bars on Power Plant Pkwy, which is near Coliseum Dr. You *could* walk there, I guess, but may want to get a ride from someone, probably not an Uber though because it would be so short. Hampton's downtown is pretty small but it has a few bars that are good hangout spots and are about a 10+ minute drive from the Coliseum area.
    If you're looking at cities with more offerings in terms of bars/restaurants, Virginia Beach and some parts of Norfolk have more of that and more of a "city" feel, but you'd have to go across the bridge and tunnel to get to Hampton and back and traffic can be bad, especially in Va Beach. I've seen 1 or 2 Uber cars around, but I'm not sure of Uber's availability in Hampton Roads.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

Can't wait

Going to fucking suck.
    Totally going to suck ass
    I typically hate PJ, but especially in VA.
  • Options

my2hands said:

It'll be a good 13hr drive. Was planning on going by myself, but actually just recruited a friend yesterday! He's a pretty big Grateful Dead fan so I kind of sold him with that. We are hitting up a national park the day before, and possibly the Jamestown/Yorktown sites the day of the show.
    Has anyone been there, is it worth it? I'm interested in history so it sounded cool to me..
    If you like history, there's plenty of it in the Jamestown and Yorktown area. You may also want to look at colonial Williamsburg, about 25-30 minutes from Hampton. You could easily spend a day there exploring and learning.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited April 2016
    7.5 work days remaining...sounds closer this way..then the 4 day weekend..
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    my2hands said:

Lifted said:

AmyDee said:

I disagree, I take a lot of road trips and utilize hotels in areas I'm not familiar with... the most important thing to check is the reviews in my opinion... research is your friend, trust me
    Fair enough. Maybe im just low maintenance, but ive never been appalled by a hotel, and ive stayed at my share of 1&1/2 star spots. Why would you care anyway? Youre gonna be so blasted trying to forget the shitty show you'll probably be happy sleeping on the gravel in the parking lot!
  • Options
    Lifted said:

my2hands said:

Lifted said:

AmyDee said:

Fair enough. Maybe im just low maintenance, but ive never been appalled by a hotel, and ive stayed at my share of 1&1/2 star spots. Why would you care anyway? Youre gonna be so blasted trying to forget the shitty show you'll probably be happy sleeping on the gravel in the parking lot!
    bed bugs...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Lifted said:

my2hands said:

Lifted said:

AmyDee said:

bed bugs...
    Never got bed bugs..but if i did get bugs id like it to be for a pearl jam show
  • Options
    AmyDeeAmyDee Alexandria, VA Posts: 24
    Lifted said:

AmyDee said:

I agree that clean sheets and running water is all that I really need. We'll only be there for 6 hours, anyway. The problem is that the reviews mentioned filthy mattresses, and a review from last year even claimed her room had bed bugs. And I made a non-refundable reservation before I read the reviews. Argh! Thanks for the tip about the Red Roof Inn. It looks MUCH better. So my options are to either take a can of Lysol and my own linens that I am willing to sacrifice to the Days Inn, or to just chalk up the room there as a loss and go to the Red Roof Inn instead. Either way, it's going to be a GREAT SHOW and all of this hotel business is but an annoying detail.
  • Options
    CosmoCramerCosmoCramer Posts: 571
    What about Ray?
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    GotBugsGotBugs Posts: 28
    edited May 2016
    Gone
    Post edited by GotBugs on
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    GotBugs said:

Looking to split a room at red roof inn. PM if interested.

GotBedBugs?
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options