Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I'm a fan of Syntha 6 myself. I've tried a few brands and that one seems to work best for me.

Last two weeks have been horrible though. Haven't been able to workout consistently and have been eating badly as well. Need to get that back under control. It's been really carb heavy and I need to get back to lean proteins and vegetables.

Even though the last two weeks have been bad, still making pretty solid gains. I'm getting close to hitting some of my goals, probably a couple weeks away from getting there.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Thanks for the suggestions re: the oatmeal guys!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Quarterly Type I Diabetes check up in a few. Kind of nervous...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Oh, forgot to report that I have my first workout related injury. The ball of my foot near my big toe has been aching down the length of my foot on one side for a few weeks since I did some heavy weights on the calf raise machine. Hopefully gets healed up quick. Taking a long break from lower body workouts for now. Wasn't really an area of my body that needed shaping up anyway!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    I so need to get in shape...
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253

Quarterly Type I Diabetes check up in a few. Kind of nervous...

Good luck!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I blew the doors off the no alcohol thing tonight! Grading papers on my third glass of wine, relying on auto correct to help me out here. Ready to watch 2 shitty candidates embarrass the shit out of themselves on national TV. Whooooooohahahahahaaaa!!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Any runners here experience bruised toenails?? I've always been a runner and over the last few months increased my runs from 3-4 miles to around 5 miles. I noticed the bruising on both my big toenails when I took off my toe nail polish. They don't hurt, but they are really bruised. I probably kept my running shoes longer than I should have, but recently replaced them once I noticed my toenails. I've also always purchased running shoes half a size bigger than my regular show size. I have a friend who does extreme races and has lost his toenails. I just enjoy running as a way to defrag. Any suggestions on how to stop the bruising?
  • Options
    Rocking week #20 Great bicep & back session today! Good tunes as well!! How's everyone going?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Still working at it. Kind of plateaued on my weight loss, but my muscle mass is up and my body fat % is still lowering so not too worried about it. Had a good back/biceps split yesterday too. Sore in all the right places.

I guess from looking in the mirror everyday you don't notice the changes or you get a negative self image stuck in your mind, but I was looking at some pictures taken of me last year and the changes are definitely noticeable. Gets me more encouraged to keep going!
  • Options

Still working at it. Kind of plateaued on my weight loss, but my muscle mass is up and my body fat % is still lowering so not too worried about it. Had a good back/biceps split yesterday too. Sore in all the right places.

I guess from looking in the mirror everyday you don't notice the changes or you get a negative self image stuck in your mind, but I was looking at some pictures taken of me last year and the changes are definitely noticeable. Gets me more encouraged to keep going!

Rock on my man! This has been a life changing lifestyle change.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Nope
    This will only take a while
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Now that I have my food under control I really tried to work out on my own. Blah. No go. The gym had a great deal 19.99 a month with all the classes. Finally back in the swing of it. 3 Body sculpting classes a week and a pilates or yoga on Sunday. I'm 3 weeks in and still getting sore but already seeing a difference in my clothes. Yay me!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561

Any runners here experience bruised toenails?? I've always been a runner and over the last few months increased my runs from 3-4 miles to around 5 miles. I noticed the bruising on both my big toenails when I took off my toe nail polish. They don't hurt, but they are really bruised. I probably kept my running shoes longer than I should have, but recently replaced them once I noticed my toenails. I've also always purchased running shoes half a size bigger than my regular show size. I have a friend who does extreme races and has lost his toenails. I just enjoy running as a way to defrag. Any suggestions on how to stop the bruising?

It appears your shoes are too small.
    As we age our feet tend to get bigger as our arches collapse.
    Your toes are clearly banging the front of your shoes.
    Could also be an issue that your shoes are too wide which allows your feet to slide around.

Have you ever had your gait checked?
    If not, go to your local running store. Not Dicks or some other big box store. Go to a mom and pop shop that does gait checks and make sure your wearing the right shoes for your feet.
  • Options

Rock on my man! This has been a life changing lifestyle change.
    It really has been a great change. While I couldn't imagine being enthusiastic about getting in better shape, now I can't imagine not working out and eating better.

You keep up the good work too! Sounds like you're really doing well with it!
  • Options

It appears your shoes are too small.
    As we age our feet tend to get bigger as our arches collapse.
    Your toes are clearly banging the front of your shoes.
    Could also be an issue that your shoes are too wide which allows your feet to slide around.

Have you ever had your gait checked?
    If not, go to your local running store. Not Dicks or some other big box store. Go to a mom and pop shop that does gait checks and make sure your wearing the right shoes for your feet.
    Also good shoes. Recently bought a pair of Nike TailWinds & they are incredible. Made just for running.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ^^Thanks. Seems I need to start by going to an actual athletic shoe store and not Rack Room. I asked the employee at Rack Room to tell me about the running shoes and she just gave me a vacant stare. I was given a flyer for some sort of a tread mill assessment at a local athletic store. I'm wondering if that's where they can check my "gait"? Thanks for the insight. I haven't noticed as much new bruising since I bought a new pair of shoes. I mean my last ones were ripped to shreds...
  • Options

^^Thanks. Seems I need to start by going to an actual athletic shoe store and not Rack Room. I asked the employee at Rack Room to tell me about the running shoes and she just gave me a vacant stare. I was given a flyer for some sort of a tread mill assessment at a local athletic store. I'm wondering if that's where they can check my "gait"? Thanks for the insight. I haven't noticed as much new bruising since I bought a new pair of shoes. I mean my last ones were ripped to shreds...

Try seeing if your area has a Fleet Feet. They'll check your gait and see if you need inserts. They're a little pushy with trying to sell (especially the higher end merchandise), but that's to be expected.
  • Options
    ^^^will do, thanks.
  • Options

Some advice....
    Good running shoes (shoes made just for running ) will only last maybe 500 miles of running. Of course this depends on your weight, foot size, conditions they are used in, and how you use them. Some will last a little longer some less.
    You should also have more than one pair and rotate their use. Yes I know this can be pricey but will be good for your feet in the long run.

Never buy running shoes from a big box store unless it is a brand and model you know works for you.

Try to rotate between trail and street running.
    A real running store will have a treadmill with video analysis and well trained employees to take you through the process of finding the right brand model for your feet.
    A good pair of socks helps as well. Never wear cotton socks.
    I prefer Smartwool running socks.

Don't buy based on how the shoes look.

Have fun
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Welp. Just caught up reading over 330 posts. I have been here lol but not keeping up. I jumped on board with the op and others in the beginning. I dropped 5 lbs. I have kept those 5lbs off. I ffluctuate but always stay at that 5 loss mark after well ya know after my aunts monthly visit. I have done nothing special but watch what I eat and try to do better the next day.

Going to try to get going again. I've said before I work long hours and have three kids and my husband so that's five schedules to keep track of and coordinate. Gotta get exercise in the mix and that is my goal this week starting today.

Goal. Two 15 minutes on the elliptical.

So proud of all of you. Great examples!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Ok my first 15s is done. Another 15 later.

Thanks Tash!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    FoxyRedLa said:

Ok my first 15s is done. Another 15 later.

Thanks Tash!

Yay I'm so excited for you. Well done for getting into it :)
  • Options

Some advice....
    Good running shoes (shoes made just for running ) will only last maybe 500 miles of running. Of course this depends on your weight, foot size, conditions they are used in, and how you use them. Some will last a little longer some less.
    You should also have more than one pair and rotate their use. Yes I know this can be pricey but will be good for your feet in the long run.

Never buy running shoes from a big box store unless it is a brand and model you know works for you.

A real running store will have a treadmill with video analysis and well trained employees to take you through the process of finding the right brand model for your feet.

Have fun
    Wow, thanks for all the info. And I never even considered something other than cotton socks... hmmm
  • Options

Some advice....

Have fun
    Wow, thanks for all the info. And I never even considered something other than cotton socks... hmmm
    Cotton is not good for any sort of physical activity. It holds moisture and odors.
  • Options
    It's so beautiful outside I have been walking around. I would walk five miles for a sandwich and a cup of tea. I ended up walking down many streets for the first time.

I walked 25 miles in a week four weeks ago. Last week I walked nine miles. The week before I walked 23. When the weather is too cold I'll go back on the treadmill.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

It's so beautiful outside I have been walking around. I would walk five miles for a sandwich and a cup of tea. I ended up walking down many streets for the first time.

I walked 25 miles in a week four weeks ago. Last week I walked nine miles. The week before I walked 23. When the weather is too cold I'll go back on the treadmill.

!!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

Nope

Lol
    I think dance classes with a friend is good work out if you do it everyday..
  • Options
    Walked 2.5 miles to the metro. My goal was to see if I dress appropriately to walk in 44 degrees.
  • Options
    Walked 4 miles on a treadmill. I ran a small amount, and it was comfortable. My 2017 goal is 1O miles running nonstop.