Options

Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion with SPOILERS

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    Just saw it for the second time. Definitely looks like a grave Luke is standing next to at the end. Great hearing both Alec Guinness and Ewin McGregor in the vision/memory montage.

Can't wait for Episode 8!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    JimmyV said:

Just saw it for the second time. Definitely looks like a grave Luke is standing next to at the end. Great hearing both Alec Guinness and Ewin McGregor in the vision/memory montage.

I didn't hear that? Which scene?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

In the 1st trailer that begins with Rey swinging around inside the the Star Destroyer, a women's voice says "who are you?" I don't recall hearing that in the movie. Did anyone notice it?

I was wondering the exact same thing.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    edited December 2015

JimmyV said:

In her force flash back/flash forward you hear Alec Guiness' obi wan say 'Rey?' And then just as the vision ends you hear Ewan mcgregors obi wan say 'these are your first steps'

Hinting slightly that she may be a descendant of obi wan

I still maintain she's Lukes daughter tho.
    Post edited by eldarion75 on
  • Options

JimmyV said:

In her force flash back/flash forward you hear Alec Guiness' obi wan say 'Rey?' And then just as the vision ends you hear Ewan mcgregors obi wan say 'these are your first steps'

Wow, I totally missed that as that scene just flashed by.
    I need to watch it for a second time to observe this.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Couldn't the grave be vaders?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Wma31394 said:

He was burned and do they bury Jedi? Ben and Yoda just vanished.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

Possibly, but I wouldn't think so.....

I would think the pyre would have been it for Vader.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Production notes from the Skellig / island scene says Luke is guarding a sith tomb.
    So maybe Snoke n co want to raid that tomb for some powerful artefact and Luke has to be there in case they'd Come.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    JimmyV said:

I loved every second that Han Solo was onscreen. Felt it was a great swan song for the character. Had a feeling going in this was going to be it for Han, and as the film played out it becomes clear where they were going. He'll be missed going forward but I am so thankful we got what we did. The coolness, the swagger, the banter...easily one of my all-time favorite movie characters.

How can you like that scruffy faced nerfherder??
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    edited December 2015

JK_Livin said:

In the 1st trailer that begins with Rey swinging around inside the the Star Destroyer, a women's voice says "who are you?" I don't recall hearing that in the movie. Did anyone notice it?

I was wondering the exact same thing.
    In the movie Maz says that to Rey after the flashback/vision seen because Maz is surprised that Luke's lightsaber "called out" to Rey.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

JimmyV said:

Interesting thought. Add in the fact that it was Obi Wan that initially gave Luke that lightsaber and now Rey is giving it it back to him, perhaps that Rey is Obi Wan's daughter will be the twist since we are all expecting her to be a Skywalker or Solo.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951

Production notes from the Skellig / island scene says Luke is guarding a sith tomb.
    So maybe Snoke n co want to raid that tomb for some powerful artefact and Luke has to be there in case they'd Come.

I would like that explanation because it gives Luke purpose for disappearing. Otherwise it seems a little emo of him to leave everyone high and dry like that lol
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    I'm not making any bets on Rey's parentage until we know who/what Snoke is.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    JimmyV said:

A gigantic 3 story hologram - probably really short...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I love the idea that he is actually really short. Everytime we see that hologram it screams overcompensation.

• Options

JimmyV said:

A gigantic 3 story hologram - probably really short...
    I've been thinking this too lol

yoda size
    severed hand thirteen
  • Options

I would like that explanation because it gives Luke purpose for disappearing. Otherwise it seems a little emo of him to leave everyone high and dry like that lol
    Well he didn't leave them high and dry. They need him now cos dark side Jedi have re emerged and are back with numbers.

Also, Snoke is reportedly 7feet tall and remember the Emporer in ESB appears giant in his holo chats with Vader.
  • Options

Well he didn't leave them high and dry. They need him now cos dark side Jedi have re emerged and are back with numbers.

Also, Snoke is reportedly 7feet tall and remember the Emporer in ESB appears giant in his holo chats with Vader.
    How did he not leave them high and dry? Why not continue to train jedis unless he had something else he needed to do?
    severed hand thirteen
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    That's explained in the film by Han. One of his students went rogue, presumably turning all his fellow students Luke felt guilty and left. also given the shot we see I the flashback. It's also been confirmed the flashback shot is a mingling of Lukes memories and Reys
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Reys vision when she touched the saber, is explained as both hers and Lukes memories.

"Spoiler alert: When Daisy Ridley’s Rey experiences a powerful flashback after finding Luke Skywalker’s old lightsaber, her memories mingle with Luke’s – leaving her confused and overwhelmed."

Link:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/obi-wan-kenobi-and-yoda-cameoed-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens-did-you-spot-them-712611.html
  • Options

A Sith tomb makes perfect sense...... Wasn't there a strong dark force presence on Dagobah? (The cave where Luke had his vision) Didn't that presence somehow balance out Yoda's presence, so no one could sense him there?

I thought I heard or read that somewhere. If so, it would stand to reason that in order for Luke to hide, he would need a strong presence from the dark side in order to truly disappear.

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Daisy Ridley made this movie. The plot was very loose and if it wasn't for Rey's character - it wouldn't be so easy to let it go. I think Episode VIII is gonna have a lot of back story/flasbacks setting up an epic Episode IX.

re: common theories discussed

* going with Rey as Luke's daughter.
    * kylo ren not beating finn and an untrained rey - he hadn't completed his training; still conflicted about the light ... think killing his father left him vulnerable to chewies shot ... think finn will also be tied to the force ...

really like maz kanata's character ... i think the series needs a wise matriarch kind of character ...
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458

Han's demise by his son's hand was spoiled for me online, so I rushed out & saw it today before anything else could be ruined.

10/10, I can't wait to see it again...... Hopefully w/ my 8 year old nephew who also loves Star Wars.

Yeah, some dickhead I follow on Twitter posted "Han solo dies" and that was it. I wasn't 100% sure if it was true or not so it wasn't completely spoiled
    I saw someone say Luke killed him...before I went into full shutdown mode. Glad that wasn't the case.

Pretty awesome from start to finish. This was everything those last three were not.

Wish Abrams was directing all of them though...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

Daisy Ridley made this movie. The plot was very loose and if it wasn't for Rey's character - it wouldn't be so easy to let it go. I think Episode VIII is gonna have a lot of back story/flasbacks setting up an epic Episode IX.

re: common theories discussed

* going with Rey as Luke's daughter.
    * kylo ren not beating finn and an untrained rey - he hadn't completed his training; still conflicted about the light ... think killing his father left him vulnerable to chewies shot ... think finn will also be tied to the force ...

really like maz kanata's character ... i think the series needs a wise matriarch kind of character ...

I agree with everything you said here.

Han's demise by his son's hand was spoiled for me online, so I rushed out & saw it today before anything else could be ruined.

10/10, I can't wait to see it again...... Hopefully w/ my 8 year old nephew who also loves Star Wars.

Yeah, some dickhead I follow on Twitter posted "Han solo dies" and that was it. I wasn't 100% sure if it was true or not so it wasn't completely spoiled
    I saw someone say Luke killed him...before I went into full shutdown mode. Glad that wasn't the case.

Pretty awesome from start to finish. This was everything those last three were not.

I agree also with your sentiment about Abrams. I'm a little concerned VIII will be a step back in quality.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

He has since said he wishes he was directing the next one as 'it's that good a script'

I'd like him to come back for the final one. Let Rian Johnson work his dark magic on episode 8 and have in back for 9

The director for 9 is a total charlatan. He could be the ruination of it all.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    A theory that Rey is Obi Wan's daughter...
    http://hellogiggles.com/theory-rey-star-wars/
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I fell asleep.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on