Options

Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion with SPOILERS

Comments

• Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    The more I think about it, i actually am more interested is Finn's role in the future movies than Rey's. We all know that Rey has some connection to a major force player, but what about Finn? Trailers sold you that it was Finn who had the force, but that ended up not being the case. He's not a kick ass pilot either. What is his role going to be going forward?
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    jervin007 said:

The more I think about it, i actually am more interested is Finn's role in the future movies than Rey's. We all know that Rey has some connection to a major force player, but what about Finn? Trailers sold you that it was Finn who had the force, but that ended up not being the case. He's not a kick ass pilot either. What is his role going to be going forward?

Looking forward to Finn's story too, I already one potential spoiler on his past unfortunately.
    Speaking of pilots, hope they expand on Poe as well in the future as well. Is he such a great pilot since he is on touch with the force?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,627
    edited December 2015
    jervin007 said:

Finn has to have some connection to the force IMO. He shouldn't have been able to fend off Kilo Ren without some ability.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,642
    edited December 2015
    So hold up. If Rey is Han's kid why would it be such a big deal that her family wouldn't be coming back? Why would Han and Leia not come back for her, especially given how much they cared for Kylo? She has to be Luke's daughter. Also R2D2 reacted to her coming
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

So hold up. If Rey is Han's kid why would it be such a big deal that her family wouldn't be coming back? Why would Han and Leia not come back for her, especially given how much they cared for Kylo? She has to be Luke's daughter. Also R2D2 reacted to her coming

All good points. This trilogy seems to be following a similar story arc to the original trilogy. I think brother versus sister makes more sense than cousin versus cousin. Especially because she just so happened to see Kylo kill Han, just like Luke saw his father kill Obi-wan in A New Hope. I am pretty sure she has been in the presence of Kylo in the past because the flashback scene has images of Kylo in the rain. He also seems to have a strange awareness of "the girl" in the movie.

Maybe Luke tried to protect her by wiping Han/Leia's memory? I mean, he is very powerful in the force and mind control is possible. She really doesn't remember anything either.

Maybe she encountered R2D2 because she spent time at Luke's training facility as a child?

Its all speculation at this point. Right now the signs point more to that she is Luke's daughter but it wouldn't surprise me either way.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,200
    Anyone else think Luke kinda looked like one wan? I mean he had the beard and all going?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Oh, and the actress that played Rey...could stare at her all day.
    Im guessing they will be getting more into the Knights of Ren in the next episode.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,418
    So is Ray Solos & Leah's daughter how else does she posses the force ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    Who kills Kylo Ren in episode 9?

Rey (odds on favorite)

Luke (teacher returns to take the student to school)

Leia (don't sleep on momma bear needing to put down her cub)

Chewbacca (bad ass Wookie avenges Han by literally tearing his killer apart)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,350
    eddiec said:

-I know Ren was hit with Chewie's bow but I wish they had injured him more. It seemed a tad far fetched that Rey was holding her own against him.

My take is that if Rey is Luke's daughter (which is what I felt they pointed to), she would be much stronger with the Force than Kylo. Leia doesn't have nearly the powers of the force that Luke has, she has more of a sense and perception from it, so her offspring would likely not be as powerful as Luke's offspring. So even though Kylo has been trained (though not completed training), Rey has more natural Force ability that she just started to realize (hence the title of the film).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited December 2015
    I was so blown away at this awesome movie. I couldn't fall asleep after coming home as I kept thinking about it. And the next day I kept reading people's theories. The wait for the next movies will seem so long, cannot wait, also cannot wait for the blu ray release.
    I was so bummed Han died, couldn't stop thinking about it, so sad. I had a feeling he would get killed in that confrontation with Kylo.
    Can't believe his son could do that.

I think Rey could be Luke's daughter, but...aren't Jedi's not meant to fall in love? It is forbidden.
    If Rey is Kylo's sister then how is there an age difference, Kylo seems to be older. How could she not remember her brother and he her? Howcome Han and Leia didn't talk about her as their daughter and only talked about their lost son?

I loved the scenery, the snowy forest, the ocean island at the end, the mountains on the Star Killer Base, the crashed Imperial ship on Jakku, the appearance of Luke.
    In some web pages I read that Luke was standing next to a grave. Could that be his wife or another child that was killed by Kylo?

Could Snoke be Darth Plageuis who has cheated death to return as the new master of the dark side? And how did he seduce Kylo to the dark side?

So many theories, such a great movie.

I wish JJ was directing all three movies, he did such a great job, I don't want the next director to screw it up.

Question, did Finn die or not? I thought he was dead after that dual with Kylo.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Nobody had problems with this movie? Holy cow!

So I think that Rey is Luke's kid.

I really hope that Kylo becomes an even badder Jedi then faces Rey then loses… Oh yeah that'll be in episode IX...

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Poncier said:

eddiec said:

-I know Ren was hit with Chewie's bow but I wish they had injured him more. It seemed a tad far fetched that Rey was holding her own against him.

My take is that if Rey is Luke's daughter (which is what I felt they pointed to), she would be much stronger with the Force than Kylo. Leia doesn't have nearly the powers of the force that Luke has, she has more of a sense and perception from it, so her offspring would likely not be as powerful as Luke's offspring. So even though Kylo has been trained (though not completed training), Rey has more natural Force ability that she just started to realize (hence the title of the film).
    Right, I was under the impression that Kylo is an apprentice Sith, not even of full power yet. We will see his rise.
    He got shot by Chewie, damaged him badly, Finn sliced him I believe and by the time Rey squared off with him he was in bad shape. Using her abilities, she was able to thwart him off.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Han's demise by his son's hand was spoiled for me online, so I rushed out & saw it today before anything else could be ruined.

10/10, I can't wait to see it again...... Hopefully w/ my 8 year old nephew who also loves Star Wars.

I kept away from the internet until after I saw it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

Han's demise by his son's hand was spoiled for me online, so I rushed out & saw it today before anything else could be ruined.

10/10, I can't wait to see it again...... Hopefully w/ my 8 year old nephew who also loves Star Wars.

Yeah, some dickhead I follow on Twitter posted "Han solo dies" and that was it. I wasn't 100% sure if it was true or not so it wasn't completely spoiled
    Next time stay away from Twitter, Facebook, Reddit (which spoiled it for a guy I know).
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Meesa thinks Snoke is Jar Jar.
  • Options
    Part of me likes the theory that Snoke might be Darth Plageuis...but most of me just hopes they leave the prequels to rot.

• Options
    Jason P said:

Jar Jar has to be the worst character in a film ever. The new droid started to annoy me too.

Also where has this Snoke person been lurking all this time?
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Jason P said:

Haha all in all very solid movie. I agree with many of things you guys have said..the kylo/Rey light saber battle could have been better with kylo being more of a badass. Not sure who luke would have conceived Rey with..leia?? Haha I mean he did kiss her in new hope.. Eww I'm leaning towards she is kylos sister.

I was hoping luke would "force" the saber out of her hands and strike her down. Now there's a villain!! I also hope mark hamel didn't cash a paycheck for his efforts.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951

Wasn't it really similar to a new hope? Pretty much a remake? Loved it but the more I think about it the more I feel like I just watched a remake

Yes and I think the entire trilogy will replicate parts 4-6

That's why my theory is that in the next movie the "I am your father" line will be used, this time Luke talking to Rey.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JimmyV said:

Part of me likes the theory that Snoke might be Darth Plageuis...but most of me just hopes they leave the prequels to rot.

Who is that? From a book?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

Wasn't it really similar to a new hope? Pretty much a remake? Loved it but the more I think about it the more I feel like I just watched a remake

Yes and I think the entire trilogy will replicate parts 4-6

That's why my theory is that in the next movie the "I am your father" line will be used, this time Luke talking to Rey.
    I hope that you are wrong abut that. The father thing was used already. Give us a new storyline please.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    jervin007 said:

Mace Windu's offspring
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

JimmyV said:

He is the Sith lord Palpatine tells Anakin about in Episode 3. Supposedly is so powerful he can use the Force to create life.

• Options
    Executive producer Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed that Captain Phasma will return for episode 8. I really hope that Phasma gets to show what she's capable of.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    Agreed on Phasma. Definitely looking forward to learning more about the First Order in episode 8.

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JimmyV said:

JK_Livin said:

JimmyV said:

He is the Sith lord Palpatine tells Anakin about in Episode 3. Supposedly is so powerful he can use the Force to create life.
    Thanks. Haven't seen 3 in a while
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

Question, did Finn die or not? I thought he was dead after that dual with Kylo.

No, he didn't die. When they get him back to the base and are carting him away, one of the medics says "we've got a heartbeat." or something like that
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,846
    JK_Livin said:

JimmyV said:

"Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."
    ―Palpatine[src]

Darth Plagueis was a male Dark Lord of the Sith and the master of Darth Sidious. He acquired considerable knowledge in the field of midi-chlorian manipulation, but was ultimately betrayed and murdered by his own apprentice, in accordance with the "Rule of Two." Sidious later recounted the tale of his master's demise to lure Anakin Skywalker to the dark side.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    JimmyV said:

If there is ONE redeeming quality of those movies, it's the interactions between Palpatine/Sidious and Anakin/Vader (except for the "NOOOOOOO!" when our boy learns that his wife is dead). And really, Episode III from the point that Anakin becomes Darth Vader to the end of the flick is pretty fucking solid.

So I'd be good with Snoke being Plagueis risen from the dead, or laying low for all these years allowing Sidious to believe him to be dead.

My question is this: is Snoke a giant or is that just the way he has his hologram projected?