Options

Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion with SPOILERS

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I thought Chewie would bite the bullet in this one, mainly because the guy how plays him has to use a cane to get around and it can't be easy to move in that costume.

Han's ending surprised me.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Anyone find it odd the Phasma gave in so easily?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,846
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Yeah, she was hyped up to be this bad ass stormtrooper but cool uniform aside, kind of a wuss.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Luke is Reys father. Here's my way to prove it

Few things In the interrogation Kylo sees into her mind and sees the ocean and an island. She has been there before or is so strong in the force (albeit unknowingly) that she's seeing her own future in a foretelling as Jedi can do.
    His interrogation of her seems to be the thing that either awakens the force in her Or more interestingly breaks whatever seal has been put on her and her memory presumably by Luke?
    In the final scene it's clear she knows him as she starts to cry when he removes his hood. And he clearly knows her too. Also, fairly certain he's standing by a grave in that scene, there's a little headstone popping up to his left. Her mothers grave?
    Her being han and leias isnt possible. Why would they be all sad about Their son lost to the dark side and not one mention or even hint at their 'lost' daughter.
    It is possible that they both know Rey though, and know that she was hidden in jakku but Can't reveal her lineage as it isn't their place, but they want to protect her anyways so Han offers her a job -
    An this is the key to her being Lukes daughter-Leia decides to send her to find Luke. Why doesn't leia go? Why else send a girl who's she's never met?
    Could only be cos she's Lukes daughter.
    We don't know that Kylo didn't kill Lukes wife/Reys mom.
    *this would give the Rey / Kylo dynamic some serious oomph.

Perhaps Reys flashback is actually stuff that happened to her mother??
    It'd make sense especially when we see the soldier about to hit her and kylos lightsaber skewering the guy?

But almost certain Luke is standing by a grave in the final shot.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,350
    Plus also didn't Rey have a vision of Kylo striking down Luke (seen in robe with mechanical hand) when she first picked up his light saber from the storage box. That scene is what convinced me she is Luke's daughter.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    You're almost right but you don't know if it's Luke or who it is in the vision about to be hit. No way I hell would Kylo be able to strike Luke down. I mean he could try but cmon.

More likely that it's Reys mother or a flash forward of what's to happen to Rey herself.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Few things In the interrogation Kylo sees into her mind and sees the ocean and an island. She has been there before or is so strong in the force (albeit unknowingly) that she's seeing her own future in a foretelling as Jedi can do.
    His interrogation of her seems to be the thing that either awakens the force in her Or more interestingly breaks whatever seal has been put on her and her memory presumably by Luke?
    In the final scene it's clear she knows him as she starts to cry when he removes his hood. And he clearly knows her too. Also, fairly certain he's standing by a grave in that scene, there's a little headstone popping up to his left. Her mothers grave?
    Her being han and leias isnt possible. Why would they be all sad about Their son lost to the dark side and not one mention or even hint at their 'lost' daughter.
    It is possible that they both know Rey though, and know that she was hidden in jakku but Can't reveal her lineage as it isn't their place, but they want to protect her anyways so Han offers her a job -
    An this is the key to her being Lukes daughter-Leia decides to send her to find Luke. Why doesn't leia go? Why else send a girl who's she's never met?

It'd make sense especially when we see the soldier about to hit her and kylos lightsaber skewering the guy?

Nice post. I was on the edge of my seat for that final scene focusing on Luke. I didn't notice anything in that scene other than Luke, Rey and a lightsaber.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Also. There was a scene of leia and Chewie consoling each other and they get interrupted by a droid and Chewie rips it's arm off. It got cut cos Disney
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

Also. There was a scene of leia and Chewie consoling each other and they get interrupted by a droid and Chewie rips it's arm off. It got cut cos Disney

Ahh, so thats why after Hans death, we only see Chewie and Leia exchange sad glances in the theatrical cut. I found it a little odd there wasnt a physical interaction, they just cut to Leia consoling Rey.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951

Wasn't it really similar to a new hope? Pretty much a remake? Loved it but the more I think about it the more I feel like I just watched a remake

Yes and I think the entire trilogy will replicate parts 4-6

That's why my theory is that in the next movie the "I am your father" line will be used, this time Luke talking to Rey.
    I hope that you are wrong abut that. The father thing was used already. Give us a new storyline please.
    Maybe leia will say "rey I am your mother" lol
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,350

You're almost right but you don't know if it's Luke or who it is in the vision about to be hit. No way I hell would Kylo be able to strike Luke down. I mean he could try but cmon.

More likely that it's Reys mother or a flash forward of what's to happen to Rey herself.

We very clearly saw Luke's mechanical hand. And perhaps Kylo strikes Luke down in the same manner as Vader strikes Obi Wan down, Luke allows it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278

What are the best books to read for post return of the Jedi stuff?

The older books have a few gems, like the aforementioned Timothy Zahn trilogy ("Heir to the Empire" and its sequels), but keep in mind that all of that stuff has been removed from the official timeline so that the new movies don't have to follow the books' map. It's fun stuff to read, but doesn't shade in the time between Jedi and Force Awakens, because it's been wiped out.

There is a new wave of books, from kids' fare through young-adult, and into more general readership, all tagged under "Journey to the Force Awakens" or somesuch banner. I read the first novel in Chuck Wendig's new "Aftermath" trilogy (the only one published so far), and it was a decent read--a mix of familiar characters in small roles with a new cast of rebels and villains in the months following Return of the Jedi, as the Empire struggles to hold on to what it still has. Worth a library check-out, or a discount purchase, but I wouldn't pay full hardcover price for it just yet.
  • Options

I'm 100% on board with you on Luke being Rey's father. Going into the movie, I was under the assumption she was Han & Leia's daughter (idk why I thought this, I just did), but after seeing the movie, I'm pretty convinced it's Luke.

& yes, I also saw a grave.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

I'm 100% on board with you on Luke being Rey's father. Going into the movie, I was under the assumption she was Han & Leia's daughter (idk why I thought this, I just did), but after seeing the movie, I'm pretty convinced it's Luke.

& yes, I also saw a grave.
    i believe this too...
    and everybody keeps mentioning it...
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I like the Rey is Luke's daughter hypothesis and yes, it sure looks like Luke is standing next to a grave.

As for the plausibility of Finn and Rey holding their own during the lightsaber duel scene -- Chewie winged Kylo Ren with a shot from his bowcaster moments before. it is made quite clear throughout the movie that this weapon packs some serious fucking punch.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    It wasn't the biggest moment in the film but Chewie hitting Ren with that shot was one of my favorites. Vader would have been able to block that blast. Palpatine too. Ren isn't as powerful yet. Plus, after seeing Han die, I was glad Chewie got to inflict some damage. I hope he gets more revenge as the trilogy rolls on.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Wma31394 said:

jervin007 said:

The more I think about it, i actually am more interested is Finn's role in the future movies than Rey's. We all know that Rey has some connection to a major force player, but what about Finn? Trailers sold you that it was Finn who had the force, but that ended up not being the case. He's not a kick ass pilot either. What is his role going to be going forward?

Mace Windu's offspring
    He would be way older if he was Mace's kid. If he has any ties to a past character I would guess its Lando.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    jervin007 said:

Wma31394 said:

jervin007 said:

The more I think about it, i actually am more interested is Finn's role in the future movies than Rey's. We all know that Rey has some connection to a major force player, but what about Finn? Trailers sold you that it was Finn who had the force, but that ended up not being the case. He's not a kick ass pilot either. What is his role going to be going forward?

Mace Windu's offspring
    He would be way older if he was Mace's kid. If he has any ties to a past character I would guess its Lando.
    Where the hell is Lando anyway?

& how quickly do you think he moved in on Leia once Han left her how many years ago? Han probably hadn't even left the system yet.

SMH

Re Ren getting beaten. He's obviously both inexperienced & very conflicted in general. As powerful as he is, I think Finn & Rey each (yes Finn too) have a lot of untapped potential too that he wasn't expecting.

Add in the fact that Chewie just shot his ass & what do you expect?
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Some of you mentioned that Luke wiped Rey's memory before abandoning her.
    I have never known of Jedi's being able to do that, it never happened in the previous films.
    Everyone seems to be guessing Rey is Luke's daughter. I'd laugh if the next one proves us wrong with a big twist. What if Rey is a former pupil of Luke's? The only survivor who was sent to Jakku to protect her fro Kylo?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

I have never known of Jedi's being able to do that, it never happened in the previous films.
    Everyone seems to be guessing Rey is Luke's daughter. I'd laugh if the next one proves us wrong with a big twist. What if Rey is a former pupil of Luke's? The only survivor who was sent to Jakku to protect her fro Kylo?

She took the blue pill.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994

This makes a lot of sense. Would explain why she knows so much about her powers despite allegedly never having been trained.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    I just found out that the Stormtrooper that gets Jedi mind-tricked is Daniel Craig. Anyone know if that is confirmed?
  • Options
    JTH said:

I just found out that the Stormtrooper that gets Jedi mind-tricked is Daniel Craig. Anyone know if that is confirmed?

Yeah it is. Ewan McGregor, Alec Guiness, and the guy who voiced the original Yoda also make cameos too!
  • Options
    I wonder if Yoda will appear as a force ghost in this trilogy to guide Luke and Rey.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Before you focus on Rey and Finns being noobz and handling a lightsaber, remember this

If there are no Jedi left on in the galaxy, why is it that stormtroopers are armed with weapons to deal specifically with Lightsabers?
    Meaning the duel between Finn and random stormtrooper swinging his electro lightsaber around.

Surely if all the Jedi were dead, there'd be no need for such a weapon on a random stormtrooper

And why is it that stormtroopers are apparently super skilled all a sudden when in the OT they'd drop dead even if a blaster bolt hits a wall ten feet away?
    JimmyV said:

This makes a lot of sense. Would explain why she knows so much about her powers despite allegedly never having been trained.
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

What? It happens loads in the original trilogy.
    Ben-these aren't the droids you're looking for
    Luke -you will take me to your master now.

Jedi mind trick is a win and on show here in spades
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I thought Chewie would bite the bullet in this one, mainly because the guy how plays him has to use a cane to get around and it can't be easy to move in that costume.

Han's ending surprised me.

I was scared Chewie would die. Gosh, that would be so heartbreaking.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In the 1st trailer that begins with Rey swinging around inside the the Star Destroyer, a women's voice says "who are you?" I don't recall hearing that in the movie. Did anyone notice it?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

In the 1st trailer that begins with Rey swinging around inside the the Star Destroyer, a women's voice says "who are you?" I don't recall hearing that in the movie. Did anyone notice it?

No, nor did I hear Luke's speech that was in a trailer also, in which he's telling someone how the force runs through her family.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,642

JK_Livin said:

No, nor did I hear Luke's speech that was in a trailer also, in which he's telling someone how the force runs through her family.
    Didn't Maz say "who are you?" to Rey when she was down being called by Luke's lightsaber?
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

Didn't Maz say "who are you?" to Rey when she was down being called by Luke's lightsaber?
    Maybe. I guess I'll have to watch again. It's most likely her voice in the trailer though. I couldn't think of her name earlier.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer