Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion with SPOILERS

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

buddy thinks snoke is Darth Plagueis

It would be a solid, non-hokey way to go with it
    pretty cool scene showing darth sidious killing darth plagueis in his sleep ...
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    polaris_x said:

Where was this scene?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    JTH said:

polaris_x said:

Where was this scene?
    it's not ... the rule of 2 in the star wars universe means there can only be one sith lord with an apprentice ... darth plagueis was darth sidious's master until he got betrayed ...

the theory is that darth plagueis weakened but survived ... and is now snoke ...
  • Options
    Ah, I see -- a nonexistent scene is pretty cool.

• Options
    JTH said:

Ah, I see -- a nonexistent scene is pretty cool.

i'm just saying that seeing that scene in a movie that is likely to have a lot of backstory (episode 8) would be cool
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    polaris_x said:

JTH said:

polaris_x said:

Where was this scene?
    it's not ... the rule of 2 in the star wars universe means there can only be one sith lord with an apprentice ... darth plagueis was darth sidious's master until he got betrayed ...

the theory is that darth plagueis weakened but survived ... and is now snoke ...
    I just read that the rule of 2 is self imposed, began a thousand years ago when the Sith lords all turned on each other... That means it surely can be broken.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    Yeah, thinking Snoke is Plagueis. He's too powerful to just come out of nowhere. This is from earlier in this thread....
    JimmyV said:

Compelling evidence that Plageuis is Snoke...

https://youtu.be/vd_8-NCN5CU

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    The music to the Snoke scene is the same as that scene in Ep3 where Palpatine has a talk to Anakin at the opera. I reckon he is Plageuis.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Just found out it's gonna be on Rifftrax and Bill, Kevin and Mike are recording commentary this week. Great movie but I'm looking forward to more jokes poking fun at George Lucas, Ford's latter day crap (Firewall) and Fisher's drug heavy personal past life again.
  • Options
    So I bought the blu ray today.
    Rey doesn't know how she mind tricked that stormtrooper or how she flew the falcon. I reckon Luke has learned some new power at the jedi temple and is controlling her remotely.
    Leia definintley knows who Rey is, the way she looks at her before they hug.
    And that look on Han's face, he feels bad she has never seen so much green, he knows who she is.
    I noticed a baby Finn photo on the screen when they check for his history after he abandons ship.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    People Han Solo owed money to:
    Guavian Death Gang
    Kanjiklub (although, you know you can't trust those little freaks!)
    InHiding80
    Dimitis
    polaris_x
  • Options

So I bought the blu ray today.
    Rey doesn't know how she mind tricked that stormtrooper or how she flew the falcon. I reckon Luke has learned some new power at the jedi temple and is controlling her remotely.
    Leia definintley knows who Rey is, the way she looks at her before they hug.
    And that look on Han's face, he feels bad she has never seen so much green, he knows who she is.
    I noticed a baby Finn photo on the screen when they check for his history after he abandons ship.

I think that's a biiiig stretch. Does that mean some Jedi was controlling Anakin when he was pod racing and showing uncanny mechanical aptitude? No, force sensitive folks just have mad skills and don't know why.

Leia and Rey is just a poorly constructed scene, Chewy walks right past her without a gesture, it was probably a decision that was made late, in order to establish a relationship between Rey and Leia. You could be right, but I don't think there is nearly enough evidence to be sure. Same thing with Han, I would feel bad for someone who didn't see green too, doesn't mean he knows her origin.
  • Options
    I hope Carrie Fisher lays off the botox, I can barely stand to watch her talk, she looks like a ventriloquist.
    In the special features she asks "Why now, I looked better 10 years ago"

It's sad what hollywood does to beautiful women. :(
  • Options
    Kylo Ren wants to be as strong as Vader, but the strongest thing Vader ever did was turn to the light, surely his parents taught him that...
  • Options

People Han Solo owed money to:
    Guavian Death Gang
    Kanjiklub (although, you know you can't trust those little freaks!)
    InHiding80
    Dimitis
    polaris_x

cleared his debt when he let me take the falcon on my annual golf trip
  • Options
    The way Chewie looks at Rey on the falcon as they approach the islands where Luke is, you reckon he knows who she is and is happy for her to be back where she comes from?

What do you think of when Ren says she sees an island when he taps into her mind?
    Has she been there before?

Do you think those 2 points I mentioned are related?

• Options

The way Chewie looks at Rey on the falcon as they approach the islands where Luke is, you reckon he knows who she is and is happy for her to be back where she comes from?

What do you think of when Ren says she sees an island when he taps into her mind?
    Has she been there before?

Do you think those 2 points I mentioned are related?

To the first question, no I don't, Chewy is always making looks like that, you can't read too deep into Chewy.

I think she dreams of the island because she is very force sensitive, which of course provides for some level of clairvoyance.
    The very deepest part of her has always known her destiny, and that is a part of her destiny...you could even argue that she was subconsciously waiting for BB-8 and Finn to propel her into that destiny.
  • Options
    I reckon Han knows about her as Maz asks ''who's the girl?'' then after that Maz tries getting her to take the lightsaber. If Maz is no jedi as she says then how does she know how it works is the question.
  • Options

I reckon Han knows about her as Maz asks ''who's the girl?'' then after that Maz tries getting her to take the lightsaber. If Maz is no jedi as she says then how does she know how it works is the question.

Maybe, but the Jedi haven't historically held the same monopoly on the force as they have in the most recent times. Maz has been running her joint for 1,000 years...it is pretty likely that she kicked it with Yoda on a number of occasions. Knowledge of the force isn't limited to Jedi and Sith.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,627
    edited April 2016
    Maz outright says "I'm no Jedi, but I know the force."

Could she just be one whose force sense is strong, but received no training?

She sensed Han Solo walking into the bar without seeing him.
  • Options

Leia has no training as a Jedi either, but clearly she knows the force.
    The Jedi don't control or own the force, anybody who is wise and sensitive should be able to gain a good bit of knowledge and even skill with diligence.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

The Jedi don't control or own the force, anybody who is wise and sensitive should be able to gain a good bit of knowledge and even skill with diligence.
    this is something that I thought was interesting with how the story is moving forward from return of the jedi ...

we know leia is luke's sister and that she is strong with the force and luke tells her that with training she will also be able to use as he has ... but in this movie - she doesn't look like she has developed that at all ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

this is something that I thought was interesting with how the story is moving forward from return of the jedi ...

we know leia is luke's sister and that she is strong with the force and luke tells her that with training she will also be able to use as he has ... but in this movie - she doesn't look like she has developed that at all ...
    I dunno, she definitely has pretty sharp intuition and she clearly felt the loss of Han.
    My guess is that she was too focused on the political happenings to even accept the offer to Jedi training.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    rgambs said:

I dunno, she definitely has pretty sharp intuition and she clearly felt the loss of Han.

hmmm...

I never thought about this aspect of things. One of the big knocks on the movie is that Leia walks right past Chewie to get to Rey after they return to the resistance base.

Maybe they shared some kind of connection via a force disturbance at the moment Han died.

Whatever. At the very least, give the Wookiee a pat on the shoulder as you walk past him, for crying out loud!
    Post edited by JTH on
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,627
    rgambs said:

Exactly.
  • Options
    JTH said:

rgambs said:

hmmm...

I never thought about this aspect of things. One of the big knocks on the movie is that Leia walks right past Chewie to get to Rey after they return to the resistance base.

Maybe they shared some kind of connection via a force disturbance at the moment Han died.

Whatever. At the very least, give the Wookiee a pat on the shoulder as you walk past him, for crying out loud!
    I watched this scene closely and I think I have an explanation...
    We all remember that Chewy was shot in the arm and Finn patched him up on the Falcon...Finn and Chewy are pals now, you watch.
    Anyways, Finn get's fucked up by Kylo (in the special features it is pronounced keelo several times in early iterations) and when they land Finn is rushed off to get patched up and Chewy is right there at his side, focused on getting him the help he needs. It makes sense then that he doesn't acknowledge Leia as he doesn't even notice her.
    The problem is, Chewy loses his hustle to soon and then is seen standing in the background with a crowd where they are not making forward progress.
    It's hard to tell because the scene seems like it was revised and they didn't get it right to me. Either it didn't come off like they hoped it would or they just did a rewrite without enough attention to detail.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

JTH said:

rgambs said:

hmmm...

We all remember that Chewy was shot in the arm and Finn patched him up on the Falcon...Finn and Chewy are pals now, you watch.
    Anyways, Finn get's fucked up by Kylo (in the special features it is pronounced keelo several times in early iterations) and when they land Finn is rushed off to get patched up and Chewy is right there at his side, focused on getting him the help he needs. It makes sense then that he doesn't acknowledge Leia as he doesn't even notice her.
    The problem is, Chewy loses his hustle to soon and then is seen standing in the background with a crowd where they are not making forward progress.
    It's hard to tell because the scene seems like it was revised and they didn't get it right to me. Either it didn't come off like they hoped it would or they just did a rewrite without enough attention to detail.
    actually JJ has addressed this as his biggest regret in episode 7 ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/star-wars-force-awakens-mistake-leia-rey-hug-jj-abrams_uk_56e053b7e4b096ed3adba308
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

JTH said:

rgambs said:

hmmm...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/star-wars-force-awakens-mistake-leia-rey-hug-jj-abrams_uk_56e053b7e4b096ed3adba308
    Well, he could have digitally removed Chewie from the scene for the home video release. I'm glad he didn't.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

JTH said:

rgambs said:

hmmm...

Anyways, Finn get's fucked up by Kylo (in the special features it is pronounced keelo several times in early iterations) and when they land Finn is rushed off to getsensehed up and Chewy is right there at his side, focused on getting him the help he needs. It makes sense then that he doesn't acknowledge Leia as he doesn't even notice her.

Thank you, I hadn't seen that.
    I pretty much nailed it lol
    Focused on Finn and just poor staging having Chewy be so close to Leia and not hustling enough, but the guy who plays Chewy doesn't get around so well so that's part of it I'm sure.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Just picked up the Bluray. Kylo spoke to the Vader mask. Then later on he took his mask off when Rey was in the chair. Well, he put his mask on a tray full of ashes. Was that the Vader mask disintegrated?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer