Options

Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion with SPOILERS

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    Boyega was awesome.

Snoke is the key. Whoever he is that information is every bit as big as who Rey's parents are.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Snoke has to be somebody we have already met, if not, then how did he become the Supreme Leader so quickly.
    Vader? Palpatine? Either one would be sweet, but a little hokey.
    Some sort of Dark Side magic that merged The Emperor into Tarkin's body would be my pick if I was writing it.

"Forgive me. I feel it again. The pull to the light. Supreme Leader senses it. Show me again. The power of the darkness. And I will let nothing stand in our way. Show me Grandfather, and I will finish what you started."

Snoke can't really be Vader because he is talking to Vader about Snoke.
    Did Vader come to Kylo in spirit form, like Obi-Wan to Luke?

If Palpatine/Emperor is Snoke, this speech makes sense in 2 or 3 possible ways.
    1. Kylo is trying to carry on Vader's legacy as a badass mean motherfucker. (Though, that's really the Emperor's game, Vader was more the goon than boss in that relationship.)
    2. Vader had a secret plans and was trying to overtake The Emperor as the most badass mean motherfucker in the galaxy, and has now (in spirit form?) conscripted Kylo as his successor.
    3. Vader (in spirit form?) has enlisted Kylo in a plot to destroy the Emperor once and for all using the Dark Side as a tool, and Kylo will finish what Vader started when Luke turned him back to the light.

Any other ideas?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    JimmyV said:

Boyega was awesome.

Snoke is the key. Whoever he is that information is every bit as big as who Rey's parents are.

brilliantly cast film all around ... only person disappointing was leia ... between her plastic surgery and the fact she hadn't acted in decades ... it showed ...

i thought there was a scene in the prequels where yoda talks about how there are always 2 sith lords?
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

Boyega was awesome.

brilliantly cast film all around ... only person disappointing was leia ... between her plastic surgery and the fact she hadn't acted in decades ... it showed ...

i thought there was a scene in the prequels where yoda talks about how there are always 2 sith lords?
    Yeah, she seemed like she could barely move her mouth. There is a huge standard difference in the way men and women are viewed by the industry as they age. She held up better than Ford, but he looks rugged and manly so he gets a pass...women don't get that pass, it's a shame.

Yoda does say that, I always thought it was a poor choice of wording. "At least" should have come first. Then there can be a whole team of Sith lords like the Jedi Order has.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,627
    polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

Boyega was awesome.

Yes he did, I believe that was at the end of the Phantom Menace.

I think Snoke is Palpatine. (refer back to his conversation with Anakin about the SL who could resurrect himself, a lot of time passed between that conversation & ROTJ, if he didn't already know, I'm sure he figured it out by then)

That's my $0.02, but I've been wrong on many other things so.........
  • Options
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

Boyega was awesome.

Yeah, she seemed like she could barely move her mouth. There is a huge standard difference in the way men and women are viewed by the industry as they age. She held up better than Ford, but he looks rugged and manly so he gets a pass...women don't get that pass, it's a shame.

Yoda does say that, I always thought it was a poor choice of wording. "At least" should have come first. Then there can be a whole team of Sith lords like the Jedi Order has.
    it's sad to see all these women do themselves in with that shit ... i'm looking at you meg ryan!

• Options
    polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

Boyega was awesome.

it's sad to see all these women do themselves in with that shit ... i'm looking at you meg ryan!

It is, I hope Kiera Knightly and Natalie Portman have the grace to age naturally.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

Boyega was awesome.

It is, I hope Kiera Knightly and Natalie Portman have the grace to age naturally.
    honestly, at this stage seeing what it's done to ... how can they do it!?? ... although i wouldn't be surprised if they already have ... :bawling:
  • Options

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

Boyega was awesome.

Yes he did, I believe that was at the end of the Phantom Menace.

I think Snoke is Palpatine. (refer back to his conversation with Anakin about the SL who could resurrect himself, a lot of time passed between that conversation & ROTJ, if he didn't already know, I'm sure he figured it out by then)

That's my $0.02, but I've been wrong on many other things so.........
    It makes sense, and while a little bit too expected and contrived, it really makes the most sense.
    Like I said, it would be cool if that power of immortality was manifest in a body switch scenario, where in death Palpatine takes over Tarkin, or even consumes he's evil filth and gets stronger as he takes his body and life force.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Snoke has to be somebody we have already met, if not, then how did he become the Supreme Leader so quickly.
    Vader? Palpatine? Either one would be sweet, but a little hokey.
    Some sort of Dark Side magic that merged The Emperor into Tarkin's body would be my pick if I was writing it.

"Forgive me. I feel it again. The pull to the light. Supreme Leader senses it. Show me again. The power of the darkness. And I will let nothing stand in our way. Show me Grandfather, and I will finish what you started."

Snoke can't really be Vader because he is talking to Vader about Snoke.
    Did Vader come to Kylo in spirit form, like Obi-Wan to Luke?

If Palpatine/Emperor is Snoke, this speech makes sense in 2 or 3 possible ways.
    1. Kylo is trying to carry on Vader's legacy as a badass mean motherfucker. (Though, that's really the Emperor's game, Vader was more the goon than boss in that relationship.)
    2. Vader had a secret plans and was trying to overtake The Emperor as the most badass mean motherfucker in the galaxy, and has now (in spirit form?) conscripted Kylo as his successor.
    3. Vader (in spirit form?) has enlisted Kylo in a plot to destroy the Emperor once and for all using the Dark Side as a tool, and Kylo will finish what Vader started when Luke turned him back to the light. Without looking deeply into it yet, I think this fits into the bridge scene with Han as well. Also, when Rey sees his mind and his fear of not being as strong as Vader.

Any other ideas?

• Options
    it's been 30 years since the battle of endor ... if there was another sith lord out there - it's not surprising he would become leader ...

i hope snoke is not palpatine ... not a fan of coming back to life characters ... it's like GoT where like no one dies ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

it's been 30 years since the battle of endor ... if there was another sith lord out there - it's not surprising he would become leader ...

i hope snoke is not palpatine ... not a fan of coming back to life characters ... it's like GoT where like no one dies ...

But Supreme Leader with apprentices of his own?

Yeah, I guess there would be time, he's playing bushleague just like Luke was.

If Snoke is a new character, who made him a Sith?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

But Supreme Leader with apprentices of his own?

Yeah, I guess there would be time, he's playing bushleague just like Luke was.

If Snoke is a new character, who made him a Sith?
    his apprentice is a whiny kid with major identity and anger issues who had his mind trick blocked by a girl with no training ... not the creme of the crop ...
  • Options
    Who made him Sith though?
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

I agree, I don't want him to be Palpatine...... It would be far too hokey, but if I had to guess, that's probably my best guess (in fairness, I haven't put a whole ton of thought into it though, so IDK)
  • Options
    rgambs said:

i dunno ... i just don't necessarily think it's that important ... he could be anybody ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

i dunno ... i just don't necessarily think it's that important ... he could be anybody ...
    I don't know about that. I would much rather see the good guy be anybody and the bad guy be a reliable source of evil.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

I don't know about that. I would much rather see the good guy be anybody and the bad guy be a reliable source of evil.
    for sure he has to be a compelling and believable baddie but his origin doesn't necessarily need to be introduced prior to episode 8 ... we're gonna get all kinds of back story in 8 (rey, luke) - might as well get his as well ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

for sure he has to be a compelling and believable baddie but his origin doesn't necessarily need to be introduced prior to episode 8 ... we're gonna get all kinds of back story in 8 (rey, luke) - might as well get his as well ...
    True, very true.
    I think if Vader had his own apprentice on the down low that would be cool.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

True, very true.
    if that's the case - you would think he would have told luke ... "hey, son ... i've got this kid i've been hanging with ... he's kinda really down with the dark side ... he, may eventually turn into gollum and reveal himself only in holograms but you may want to watch out for him ... "
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,846
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

True, very true.
    That would have been Luke, no? Palpatine wanted to train him but Vader wanted to secretly so father and son could overthrow him and rule together.
  • Options
    eddiec said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

True, very true.
    That would have been Luke, no? Palpatine wanted to train him but Vader wanted to secretly so father and son could overthrow him and rule together.
    Vader definitely could have been grooming someone else before Luke came along..... Or even after Luke came along......

It's always good to have a backup plan.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    eddiec said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

True, very true.
    Yep. Palpatine wanted to get rid of Vader and take Luke as his new apprentice. Vader wanted to replace Palpatine himself and take Luke as his second in command so they could "rule the galaxy as father and son."
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

eddiec said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

True, very true.
    Vader definitely could have been grooming someone else before Luke came along..... Or even after Luke came along......

It's always good to have a backup plan.
    yeah, I guess that's possible. But isn't the basic idea that there is nobody out there who's strong enough with the force to make it happen... until Luke comes along?
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    JTH said:

yeah, I guess that's possible. But isn't the basic idea that there is nobody out there who's strong enough with the force to make it happen... until Luke comes along?

"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."

yep, luke and anakin are the two most powerful. would be lame if they magically introduced someone who was more powerful than those two.
  • Options
    buddy thinks snoke is Darth Plagueis
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I'm still going with the theory that Snoke is Jar Jar.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Jason P said:

too predictable. i am going with the storm trooper that hit his head on the door in a new hope. his revenge on the galaxy for almost 40 years of mockery.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    rival. said:

Jason P said:

too predictable. i am going with the storm trooper that hit his head on the door in a new hope. his revenge on the galaxy for almost 40 years of mockery.
    I wonder if that is the route Lucas was going with but abandoned plans after the fallout from the 1st film?
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

buddy thinks snoke is Darth Plagueis

It would be a solid, non-hokey way to go with it