Options

Scott Weiland has passed

Comments

• Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    edited December 2015
    Judgmental much Mary Forseberg? She used to do heroin with Scott, probably smoked his crack too. Celeb child support is so expensive anyway, she was getting nearly 1 million per year, yet complains if she did not get a check haha. I would do heroin too if I had to pay my ex 720,000 per year. Geeze. He had to go back on the road and play piss smelling night clubs just to pay her. Scott was not a fan of constant touring, it killed his voice.
    Post edited by TL170678 on
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,344
    TL170678 said:

Judgmental much Mary Forseberg? She used to do heroin with Scott, probably smoked his crack too. Celeb child support is so expensive anyway, she was getting nearly 1 million per year, yet complains if she did not get a check haha. I would do heroin too if I had to pay my ex 720,000 per year. Geeze. He had to go back on the road and play piss smelling night clubs just to pay her. Scott was not a fan of constant touring, it killed his voice.

Wanting her children's father to be a dad isn't judgmental in any way shape or form!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    edited December 2015
    His wife seemed sincere that she feels during his downward spirals people should be helping him and not just standing pat.

I am a doctor and I see patients with addictions from tobacco to alcohol to heroin. I don't think anything I can possibly say will cure them Nor do I have some magic pill to prescribe. The first step is that the patient has to want to come clean. But that is the hard part because what options do they have? I can ask a social worker to give them resources for quitting. But the onus is still on the patient to go back into the community, scared and alone and maybe use them. Not to mention therapy for mental illness is just extremely limited. Unfortunately, addiction never goes away. I truly believe these addicts want to get clean but sometimes the addiction is too strong to overcome with anything society can really offer.
    Post edited by FrankY59 on
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,002
    I will miss him indeed. I miss that no new music comes from likes of Layne and Kurt, now Scott.
    Thanks for all you gave Scott.
  • Options
    breathing is the hardest thing
    to do. with all I've said and
    all that's dead for you,
    you lied - good bye

A few years ago i had a chance to see Scott play just north of Dallas. I told my wife we should go because there is no way of nowing how much longer he would be around. Wish i wasn't right about that.
    Escape is never the safest path....

Atlanta 9.1.98
    Dallas 11.15.13
    Ft. Worth 9.15.23
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    He was definitely one of the more Iconic voices of the 90s, he left us with a lot of good tunes, and holy shit was he exciting to see live! Needle and the damage done....
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    FrankY59 said:

His wife seemed sincere that she feels during his downward spirals people should be helping him and not just standing pat.

I am a doctor and I see patients with addictions from tobacco to alcohol to heroin. I don't think anything I can possibly say will cure them Nor do I have some magic pill to prescribe. The first step is that the patient has to want to come clean. But that is the hard part because what options do they have? I can ask a social worker to give them resources for quitting. But the onus is still on the patient to go back into the community, scared and alone and maybe use them. Not to mention therapy for mental illness is just extremely limited. Unfortunately, addiction never goes away. I truly believe these addicts want to get clean but sometimes the addiction is too strong to overcome with anything society can really offer.

Doc I agree with almost everything you have said. As a recovering addict sober over 10 years I can tell you that a few comments you wrote stuck out to me. To stay sober is about action not desire. You wrote that you believe that these addicts want to get clean but sometimes the addiction is too strong to overcome with anything society can really offer. That is not my experience, and the experience I have witnessed personally in hundreds of others. Recovery is not generally effective for people who want it, or people who need it, it is for people who DO it! There is a saying "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path", if the addict does the things that are mapped out, and is truly done, my experience, recovery works just fine, people are the ones that don't want to do the work. If you don't want to stay sober more than you want to drink or get high you will relapse. You have to be done living that way. I agree that addiction never goes away, but I don't think about using or drinking at all anymore, but I still take my medicine EVERYDAY! That's how this works... By medicine I mean.. I either go to a meeting.. Read some literature... Talk to another guy in the program..work with a guy I sponsor.. Talk to my sponsor... Do some type of service... That's the deal...you give up 1 thing to get everything! My life is complete freedom... Addiction does not care if you are a Rock Star or a bum but the solution doesn't either... You can stay sober if you want to... Society has nothing to do with it... It is something deep within us... Either we want to stay sober 51/49% and do the work or we don't.

Sorry for the rant! Just something I'm passionate about!
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

this is totally fucked. we gotta take better care of our 90's heros

We do?

Edit: if this guy was one of your heroes..... I don't know what to say about that...... He was a great songwriter & performer, but beyond that I don't see all that much to emulate.

Addiction sucks, and is a horrible thing, this guy has been a walking disaster for a long time. At the risk of repeating myself, the only surprising thing to me is that this didn't happen sooner.

Bummer to see another talented artist brought down by drugs, but he's no hero in my book.
    actually i was one of those who didn't care much for STP too much. I think I got Purple and Tiny Music in one of those 12 for 1cent Columbia House Deals. I liked the hits, but found most of the other songs to be okay.

Scott Weiland made it. He has a place in rock music history. True, he was never one of my 'heros', but he might have been to some people.

He needed help and never really got it. The fame and the money only enabled him more. And for that, we the public are partly responsible. we financed all the smack and coke that went into Weiland's system.
    You're right about the public being partially responsible. People who want to do a better job 'taking care of their '90s heroes' should put their money where their mouth is instead of supporting a functioning addict or worse yet, a record company that exploits functioning addicts.

Make a contribution to MAP, or Al-anon or AA.

Better yet, go volunteer at the local youth center, or for the Big Brothers/Big Sisters and make a difference in the life of a child who needs a positive role model.

Go be a hero yourself, it's easier than you think.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

I think it did eventually. it's listed on many websites (out of stock), and i think it might be in the US itunes store. but I could be wrong.
    Nope
    did some more digging. you would be correct.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

Very real but also pretty harsh. I dont know. Im sure he was an awful father and thats his loss. Being a dad is the best thing in life. Thats his selfish choices at work. This piece just seems a little self serving at times. Like the wives obviously dont like eachother...

I think it's incredibly honest. she doesn't want anyone to glorify or romanticize addiction like we so often do....look at the Doors movie. that movie just screams "do drugs! drink! it's fun!". but these people are real humans, they have real family and real people who care about them. that's the point of this. and I applaud her for it.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Very real but also pretty harsh. I dont know. Im sure he was an awful father and thats his loss. Being a dad is the best thing in life. Thats his selfish choices at work. This piece just seems a little self serving at times. Like the wives obviously dont like eachother...

I think it's incredibly honest. she doesn't want anyone to glorify or romanticize addiction like we so often do....look at the Doors movie. that movie just screams "do drugs! drink! it's fun!". but these people are real humans, they have real family and real people who care about them. that's the point of this. and I applaud her for it.

+1
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721

bingo.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

I think it's incredibly honest. she doesn't want anyone to glorify or romanticize addiction like we so often do....but these people are real humans, they have real family and real people who care about them. that's the point of this. and I applaud her for it.

this...
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,876

+1
    Their kids too.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

hedonist said:

Is the Porch turning into the obituaries?

Wow. No. I think the one, two?, threads here are about paying respects and offering sympathy.

Sure hope there's no condescension toward those doing the same for the loss of a fellow member.
    Well perhaps we should have a category dedicated to those who are lost.
    Perhaps you could rein it in for the two threads dedicated to people who have passed lately. Show some respect for the love, if you know how. Don't like what you see here then go and play in the 12 or so threads about a possible tour or go back to AMT and harass the people there.
    Here here.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311

STP also released a live dvd called Alive In The Windy City. $15 at HMV. I think I'm going to get this now. Scott also released a live cd I didn't know about until today, a 10 track cd called Live In Los Angeles.

That show is awesome! I got the blu ray a month or so ago. Do pick it up if you haven't done so already.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Amazing.
    Shame the topless girl screws it up a bit at the end.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,289

Amazing.
    Shame the topless girl screws it up a bit at the end.
    great clip! thanks for sharing. And topless girl did not screw anything up.. that was pure beauty
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640

She makes excellent points about parenting and drugs and media culture. Its just that ive heard so much crap about her over the years that im not buying anyones story. It sounds like their situation was still a mess which is sad for the kids. They're the most important thing
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    edited December 2015

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

this is totally fucked. we gotta take better care of our 90's heros

We do?

Edit: if this guy was one of your heroes..... I don't know what to say about that...... He was a great songwriter & performer, but beyond that I don't see all that much to emulate.

Addiction sucks, and is a horrible thing, this guy has been a walking disaster for a long time. At the risk of repeating myself, the only surprising thing to me is that this didn't happen sooner.

Bummer to see another talented artist brought down by drugs, but he's no hero in my book.
    actually i was one of those who didn't care much for STP too much. I think I got Purple and Tiny Music in one of those 12 for 1cent Columbia House Deals. I liked the hits, but found most of the other songs to be okay.

Scott Weiland made it. He has a place in rock music history. True, he was never one of my 'heros', but he might have been to some people.

He needed help and never really got it. The fame and the money only enabled him more. And for that, we the public are partly responsible. we financed all the smack and coke that went into Weiland's system.
    You're right about the public being partially responsible. People who want to do a better job 'taking care of their '90s heroes' should put their money where their mouth is instead of supporting a functioning addict or worse yet, a record company that exploits functioning addicts.

Make a contribution to MAP, or Al-anon or AA.

Better yet, go volunteer at the local youth center, or for the Big Brothers/Big Sisters and make a difference in the life of a child who needs a positive role model.

Go be a hero yourself, it's easier than you think.
    there's the dilemma. Do we stop buying their records? Probably not going to happen.

the second part of this. The reason I feel partly responsible...as if maybe I didn't care enough about STP. I know that's a bit dramatic. at the same time, maybe if STP had the same kind of fan base as PJ, things would be different.

as far as giving time to help anyone in need.... You are right, that's definitely a step in the right direction. I will keep it mind.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    I get what you are saying but she did not mind taking a million dollars a year from him for child support even though it was making him tour more, and the touring is what drove him to get F`d up. I am sure she was not quiet when he missed a payment or she would not have made it follow him to his death bed in a eulogy.
  • Options
    TL170678 said:

I get what you are saying but she did not mind taking a million dollars a year from him for child support even though it was making him tour more, and the touring is what drove him to get F`d up. I am sure she was not quiet when he missed a payment or she would not have made it follow him to his death bed in a eulogy.

To be fair you don't know that as a fact, he struggled with addiction for decades, both on and off the road. I think if you read the article he did for Esquire about his addiction, you really get an understanding of why he found it so hard to remain clean:
    You're wondering when you'll be able to feel comfort again, physical comfort even. That's why it's so difficult to kick. Your pleasure receptors are so fried that your brain has no ability to feel any pleasure on its own. You're so depressed. It makes you want to get high.
    http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/news/a40198/scott-weiland-interview/

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited December 2015
    I have yet to meet an ex wife who was not judgmental and didn't want child support.
    Your argument is sorta weak.
    TL170678 said:

I would do heroin too if I had to pay my ex 720,000 per year. Geeze.

Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,876
    TL170678 said:

Am a recovering alky/addict. Touring did not make me use. Nothing in the external did. That shit is just convenient bullshit we all tell ourselves to prevent looking inward.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ComxFAagceo
    Scott's final interview, days before he died. Man, it's clear to see he's not in a good place. I've known a few alcoholics in my life, including my uncle who died as a result of his drinking - this is exactly how he was towards the end. From the awful complexion, to the very deliberate efforts to try and sound 'normal'. It's so sad to see him a shell of the man he once was.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    Been listening to the last album from STP "self titled" lately… Man, losing Scott fucking sucks. I grew up in the 90's so it's a no brainer all STP was part of my life. This album though, it's so damn good once you finally digest it. I had high hopes for more STP to come, and it would have, those four are STP, nobody else. Such a great album…..

https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/8c32bb01-58a3-453b-8050-8c0620edb0e5/albumcover/stone-temple-pilots-4ddc6cd8640c8.jpg
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    Can we please stop focusing on his personal issues and judging the way he was his last days? We all have our personal demons and shit we deal with…. You never know when your time comes, how squared away and perfect will your life be? Sorry, just pisses me off...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ComxFAagceo
    Scott's final interview, days before he died. Man, it's clear to see he's not in a good place. I've known a few alcoholics in my life, including my uncle who died as a result of his drinking - this is exactly how he was towards the end. From the awful complexion, to the very deliberate efforts to try and sound 'normal'. It's so sad to see him a shell of the man he once was.

Sad.
  • Options
    Unfortunately most of those songs we all know and love were born out of his addiction - it's a hell of a sacrifice..........I'd never judge him for being an addict, addiction is absolutely heart breaking to watch from the outside. When STP got back together I had such high hopes, I enjoyed their last album a lot, and I had no doubt they could have reunited even after all the past couple of years' B.S and made more great music.

Scott's death reminds me of how I felt after Amy Winehouse died - it almost feels ridiculous, so cliched, people were saying this would happen for so long, yet I'm sure people said the same about people like Keith Richards and Steven Tyler over the years, and they're still around in their 60's/70's.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Just rediscovered how much i loved ShangriLadeda