Options

Scott Weiland has passed

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Its sad that just like Layne he became a living punchline because of drugs but just like Layne he was the real deal.

Very sad. This guy had kids to take care of. You have to drop those habits
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Ya, I received the text from my old highschool mate this morning about the tragic news. We both loved STP as that band along with many other awesome 90's alt rock bands were influential on our highschool band. Bummer indeed. I have his solo album "12 Bar Blues" in the truck as one of my regular spins and will crank it out much more frequently in honor of the man / the genius. RIP Mr. Weiland. fuckin shitty deal.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    i wonder what miss "Too Cool Queenie" has to say about it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DTXEg-S1cc
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    jonposeyjonposey Posts: 139
    edited December 2015
    Have been saying for years that the last great "MTV" era music video is "Interstate Love Song." So awesome. Song and video!
    https://youtu.be/yjJL9DGU7Gg
    Post edited by jonposey on
    \m/ \m/
    www.jonposey.us
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    No shock but definitely sad,Purple and Core are flawless albums.R.I.P
  • Options
    Tiny Music was my favorite album
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    edited December 2015
    So sad to see him go, saw STP three times in Buenos Aires, unfortunately not enough, 2008, 2010 and 2011, greatest comeback, they mixed the set list a lot specially the last two, never thought I could hear live Silvergun superman, Ride the cliche, Cinnamon, First kiss on Mars, Still remains, Dancing Days, even Piece of pie... I'm lost for words, just played 36 of my faves, 6 from each, hard to listen Still remains, Too cool queenie, Creep, Trippin in a hole in a paper heart, D & B is a no-no... Man, this is harsh...
    Post edited by javis el errante on
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    read the article online in esquire magazine that he gave in 2005. that is quite an insight to his addiction.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2015
    Don't get the discussions about addiction and worse of thinking you knew and seen it coming.

I know how I felt when I first experienced STP. The same feelings when hearing PJ for the first time. This man added to my life. Made me crank my music while hitting the accelerator burning rubber sliding sideways.

Cranked STP last night, will do so again today.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited December 2015
    Addiction is bad...mmkay. no disrespect.

SW had brilliance. No. 4 is underrated...#LOUD
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I think it did eventually. it's listed on many websites (out of stock), and i think it might be in the US itunes store. but I could be wrong.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited December 2015
    Army Ants ....what a great song. Press Play too. STP
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419

STP also released a live dvd called Alive In The Windy City. $15 at HMV. I think I'm going to get this now. Scott also released a live cd I didn't know about until today, a 10 track cd called Live In Los Angeles.

That Windy City show is freakin amazing!
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,983
    Gotta love the megaphone into microphone technique.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889

Its sad that just like Layne he became a living punchline because of drugs but just like Layne he was the real deal.

Yep… Nicely put. We don't live these peoples lives but they get judged a lot from people who never even knew them.. Maybe our own skeletons in the closet aren't so cool is why? Had a great day today listening to STP/VR, Scott was a beast. Glad I got to see him live with both bands.

1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

I think it did eventually. it's listed on many websites (out of stock), and i think it might be in the US itunes store. but I could be wrong.
    Nope
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,239

Zod said:

Been watching the live DVD that came with "Thank You." Such an amazing performer.

There's a DVD in that set? I think I forgot about that. I might have to go dig that off the cd shelf this weekend.
    the deluxe version did. there was a standard version with just the cd.

Enjoying the DVD right now, don't think I've spun this before.. it's pretty good.
  • Options
    A must read that is real as hell.

Scott Weiland's Family: 'Don't Glorify This Tragedy'
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-s-family-dont-glorify-this-tragedy-20151207?page=2

Mary Forsberg Weiland is the mother of the late singer Scott Weiland's teenage children, Noah, 15, and Lucy, 13. She wrote this with their help in the days after his death on Dec 3rd.

December 3rd, 2015 is not the day Scott Weiland died. It is the official day the public will use to mourn him, and it was the last day he could be propped up in front of a microphone for the financial benefit or enjoyment of others. The outpouring of condolences and prayers offered to our children, Noah and Lucy, has been overwhelming, appreciated and even comforting. But the truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope.

We don't want to downplay Scott's amazing talent, presence or his ability to light up any stage with brilliant electricity. So many people have been gracious enough to praise his gift. The music is here to stay. But at some point, someone needs to step up and point out that yes, this will happen again – because as a society we almost encourage it. We read awful show reviews, watch videos of artists falling down, unable to recall their lyrics streaming on a teleprompter just a few feet away. And then we click "add to cart" because what actually belongs in a hospital is now considered art.

Many of these artists have children. Children with tears in their eyes, experiencing panic because their cries go unheard. You might ask, "How were we to know? We read that he loved spending time with his children and that he'd been drug-free for years!" In reality, what you didn't want to acknowledge was a paranoid man who couldn't remember his own lyrics and who was only photographed with his children a handful of times in 15 years of fatherhood. I've always wanted to share more than anyone was comfortable with. When writing a book years ago, it pained me to sometimes gloss over so much grief and struggle, but I did what I thought was best for Noah and Lucy. I knew they would one day see and feel everything that I'd been trying to shield them from, and that they'd eventually be brave enough to say, "That mess was our father. We loved him, but a deep-rooted mix of love and disappointment made up the majority of our relationship with him."

Even after Scott and I split up, I spent countless hours trying to calm his paranoid fits, pushing him into the shower and filling him with coffee, just so that I could drop him into the audience at Noah's talent show, or Lucy's musical. Those short encounters were my attempts at giving the kids a feeling of normalcy with their dad. But anything longer would often turn into something scary and uncomfortable for them. Spending so many years immersed in Scott's multiple illnesses led to my own depression; at one point, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar. I feared the same would happen to the children. There were times that Child Protective Services did not allow him to to be alone with them.

When Scott did move on to another relationship, I hoped it would inspire him to grow. I had often encouraged him to date a "normal" girl, a woman who was also a mother, someone who had the energy that I no longer had to love him. Instead, when he remarried, the children were replaced. They were not invited to his wedding; child support checks often never arrived. Our once sweet Catholic boy refused to watch the kids participate in Christmas Eve plays because he was now an atheist. They have never set foot into his house, and they can't remember the last time they saw him on a Father's Day. I don't share this with you to cast judgment, I do so because you most likely know at least one child in the same shoes. If you do, please acknowledge them and their experience. Offer to accompany them to the father-daughter dance, or teach them to throw a football. Even the bravest girl or boy will refrain from asking for something like that; they may be ashamed, or not want to inconvenience you. Just offer – or even insist if you have to.

This is the final step in our long goodbye to Scott. Even though I felt we had no other choice, maybe we never should have let him go. Or maybe these last few years of separation were his parting gift to us – the only way he could think to soften what he knew would one day crush us deep into our souls. Over the last few years, I could hear his sadness and confusion when he'd call me late into the night, often crying about his inability to separate himself from negative people and bad choices. I won't say he can rest now, or that he's in a better place. He belongs with his children barbecuing in the backyard and waiting for a Notre Dame game to come on. We are angry and sad about this loss, but we are most devastated that he chose to give up.

Noah and Lucy never sought perfection from their dad. They just kept hoping for a little effort. If you're a parent not giving your best effort, all anyone asks is that you try just a little harder and don't give up. Progress, not perfection, is what your children are praying for. Our hope for Scott has died, but there is still hope for others. Let's choose to make this first time we don't glorify this tragedy with talk of rock and roll and the demons that, by the way, don't have to come with it. Skip the depressing T-shirt with 1967-2015 on it – use the money to take a kid to a ballgame or out for ice cream.
  • Options
    Very real but also pretty harsh. I dont know. Im sure he was an awful father and thats his loss. Being a dad is the best thing in life. Thats his selfish choices at work. This piece just seems a little self serving at times. Like the wives obviously dont like eachother...
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,289

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-s-family-dont-glorify-this-tragedy-20151207?page=2

Mary Forsberg Weiland is the mother of the late singer Scott Weiland's teenage children, Noah, 15, and Lucy, 13. She wrote this with their help in the days after his death on Dec 3rd.

December 3rd, 2015 is not the day Scott Weiland died. It is the official day the public will use to mourn him, and it was the last day he could be propped up in front of a microphone for the financial benefit or enjoyment of others. The outpouring of condolences and prayers offered to our children, Noah and Lucy, has been overwhelming, appreciated and even comforting. But the truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope.

We don't want to downplay Scott's amazing talent, presence or his ability to light up any stage with brilliant electricity. So many people have been gracious enough to praise his gift. The music is here to stay. But at some point, someone needs to step up and point out that yes, this will happen again – because as a society we almost encourage it. We read awful show reviews, watch videos of artists falling down, unable to recall their lyrics streaming on a teleprompter just a few feet away. And then we click "add to cart" because what actually belongs in a hospital is now considered art.

Many of these artists have children. Children with tears in their eyes, experiencing panic because their cries go unheard. You might ask, "How were we to know? We read that he loved spending time with his children and that he'd been drug-free for years!" In reality, what you didn't want to acknowledge was a paranoid man who couldn't remember his own lyrics and who was only photographed with his children a handful of times in 15 years of fatherhood. I've always wanted to share more than anyone was comfortable with. When writing a book years ago, it pained me to sometimes gloss over so much grief and struggle, but I did what I thought was best for Noah and Lucy. I knew they would one day see and feel everything that I'd been trying to shield them from, and that they'd eventually be brave enough to say, "That mess was our father. We loved him, but a deep-rooted mix of love and disappointment made up the majority of our relationship with him."

Even after Scott and I split up, I spent countless hours trying to calm his paranoid fits, pushing him into the shower and filling him with coffee, just so that I could drop him into the audience at Noah's talent show, or Lucy's musical. Those short encounters were my attempts at giving the kids a feeling of normalcy with their dad. But anything longer would often turn into something scary and uncomfortable for them. Spending so many years immersed in Scott's multiple illnesses led to my own depression; at one point, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar. I feared the same would happen to the children. There were times that Child Protective Services did not allow him to to be alone with them.

When Scott did move on to another relationship, I hoped it would inspire him to grow. I had often encouraged him to date a "normal" girl, a woman who was also a mother, someone who had the energy that I no longer had to love him. Instead, when he remarried, the children were replaced. They were not invited to his wedding; child support checks often never arrived. Our once sweet Catholic boy refused to watch the kids participate in Christmas Eve plays because he was now an atheist. They have never set foot into his house, and they can't remember the last time they saw him on a Father's Day. I don't share this with you to cast judgment, I do so because you most likely know at least one child in the same shoes. If you do, please acknowledge them and their experience. Offer to accompany them to the father-daughter dance, or teach them to throw a football. Even the bravest girl or boy will refrain from asking for something like that; they may be ashamed, or not want to inconvenience you. Just offer – or even insist if you have to.

This is the final step in our long goodbye to Scott. Even though I felt we had no other choice, maybe we never should have let him go. Or maybe these last few years of separation were his parting gift to us – the only way he could think to soften what he knew would one day crush us deep into our souls. Over the last few years, I could hear his sadness and confusion when he'd call me late into the night, often crying about his inability to separate himself from negative people and bad choices. I won't say he can rest now, or that he's in a better place. He belongs with his children barbecuing in the backyard and waiting for a Notre Dame game to come on. We are angry and sad about this loss, but we are most devastated that he chose to give up.

Noah and Lucy never sought perfection from their dad. They just kept hoping for a little effort. If you're a parent not giving your best effort, all anyone asks is that you try just a little harder and don't give up. Progress, not perfection, is what your children are praying for. Our hope for Scott has died, but there is still hope for others. Let's choose to make this first time we don't glorify this tragedy with talk of rock and roll and the demons that, by the way, don't have to come with it. Skip the depressing T-shirt with 1967-2015 on it – use the money to take a kid to a ballgame or out for ice cream.

Powerfull!!!!!
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426

vaggar99 said:

this is totally fucked. we gotta take better care of our 90's heros

We do?

Edit: if this guy was one of your heroes..... I don't know what to say about that...... He was a great songwriter & performer, but beyond that I don't see all that much to emulate.

Addiction sucks, and is a horrible thing, this guy has been a walking disaster for a long time. At the risk of repeating myself, the only surprising thing to me is that this didn't happen sooner.

Bummer to see another talented artist brought down by drugs, but he's no hero in my book.
    actually i was one of those who didn't care much for STP too much. I think I got Purple and Tiny Music in one of those 12 for 1cent Columbia House Deals. I liked the hits, but found most of the other songs to be okay.

Scott Weiland made it. He has a place in rock music history. True, he was never one of my 'heros', but he might have been to some people.

He needed help and never really got it. The fame and the money only enabled him more. And for that, we the public are partly responsible. we financed all the smack and coke that went into Weiland's system.
  • Options
    Is the Porch turning into the obituaries?
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

Wait til PJ 50... We will be lots of really old farts then...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,344
    edited December 2015

I applaud her!
    Post edited by primussucks on
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

callen said:

Don't get the discussions about addiction and worse of thinking you knew and seen it coming.

I know how I felt when I first experienced STP. The same feelings when hearing PJ for the first time. This man added to my life. Made me crank my music while hitting the accelerator burning rubber sliding sideways. I don't care about his personal life or what drugs he took. All petty BS.

Cranked STP last night, will do so again today.

So you wouldn't care if Ed was an addict? You wouldn't care about knowing there is a possibility this news could be Ed tomorrow?

I applaud her!
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Wow. No. I think the one, two?, threads here are about paying respects and offering sympathy.

Sure hope there's no condescension toward those doing the same for the loss of a fellow member.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Wow. No. I think the one, two?, threads here are about paying respects and offering sympathy.

Sure hope there's no condescension toward those doing the same for the loss of a fellow member.
    Well perhaps we should have a category dedicated to those who are lost.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,754

hedonist said:

Well perhaps we should have a category dedicated to those who are lost.
    Perhaps you could rein it in for the two threads dedicated to people who have passed lately. Show some respect for the love, if you know how. Don't like what you see here then go and play in the 12 or so threads about a possible tour or go back to AMT and harass the people there.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.